SAT, 8:45AM ET
SOU
SAT, 11AM ET
STO
WHU

Time For Man City to Stamp Out Munich Chants

5627197316 b0a039afa5 Time For Man City to Stamp Out Munich Chants

Editor’s note: Back story: The Telegraph reported that after yesterday’s one-nil win by Manchester City against Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park, some City supporters reportedly began chanting ‘Who put the ball in the Munichs’ net’ to Yaya Toure, who scored against Manchester United in the FA Cup semi-final. The ‘Munichs’ reference was to United and the Munich Air Disaster in 1958 where 23 people were tragically killed including Manchester City legend Frank Swift.

Football games are not places for those with a sensitive disposition at the best of times. Language is often fruity and industrial, it’s part of the culture.

However, while many of us have always enjoyed the vulgarity and general piss-taking, you have to draw the line at some point. There are things which simply shouldn’t be said or chanted.

When I first started to go to football in the early 70s, out-and-out racist chanting was commonplace and done without question. It took twenty or thirty years but eventually it became unacceptable and then illegal to make such comments. Rightly so.

Many want to extend this to homophobic chanting too. And I see no reason why not.

However, there remains a hard core of fans who seem to revel in being as unpleasant as possible. These are the people who make the gas chamber hissing noises at Spurs games. Those who sing songs about the Munich air crash at a Manchester United game or those who sing songs about Hillsborough at Liverpool games. There are many other examples too. These are perhaps the most high profile of them.

God knows I’m no wilting flower in this regard and am slow to throw my skirt over my head in horror at such things but surely, surely this has to be stopped somehow.

Mocking the dead, glorying in death and destruction isn’t just banter, it isn’t harmless and it isn’t acceptable.

The daily news brings us stories from around the world which show in all too gory detail just how downright evil the human race can be if left unregulated. As a species we have a terrible habit of surrendering to the lowest common denominator. We can’t and shouldn’t let that happen at our football games.

We pulled back from the void over racism and we can do the same over these issues too. We must maintain a standard that is decent and respectful, not to do so is simply too low, too atavistic to accept. I don’t care if the people doing it don’t think its serious or just football rivalry, we have to have some standard below which we will not go.

Manchester City fans routinely sing ‘Munich’ songs, so much so that the club officials are having meetings to try and decide what to do to stop them. It’s simple, you police the singing of the songs vigorously. You throw out and ban anyone who sings them. It’s not hard to find the culprits on the day or on video afterwards.

We are all football fans but above and beyond that we are all human; we are all people and basic decency should not be surrendered, not even for 90 minutes during a football match.

All concerned need to take a hard-line approach to stop this. It’s gone on far too long.

Editor’s Note: Johnny’s new book: “We Ate All The Pies: How Football Swallowed Britain Whole” is available via Amazon US or Amazon UK.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to Time For Man City to Stamp Out Munich Chants

1. Agreed — classless all around. And apparently City fans don’t remember that one of their own was killed in the crash, too. People go to sports to escape the problems of the real world, not be reminded of them….

• bluemoon says:

Bollocks what you going to do then arrest them for thought. We already have the thought police and Marxist policing of what once was a GREAT country without the left wing twats wanting to control over what I might do if you haven’t noticed we have already become a communist country you wanting homo chanting stopped what next the colour of someones hair, their shoes, you CANNOT keep wanting to ban things just because it upsets you or you’re that sensative you feel hurt, are you that brittle. There was a second world war fought so we can have freedom of speech not fascism state control where we have totally gone. Bollocks if I want to chant something I will incidently I don’t but I’m trying to make the point where what are you going to do next have organised and synchronised chanting are you going to be vetted on your chanting before you enter the ground are you going to stop people and test them on their singing. You might think I’m being far fetched but thats the road your heading as like I said it starts some where and it carries on to something else and so fore. Get over yourselves it happens at all grounds football is tribal and you will get this type of thing where ever you go. Stop being brittle and girlie.

• mlody.gryzek says:

“There was a second world war fought so we can have freedom of speech not fascism state control where we have totally gone.”

What you’re trying to say is that Allies fought German, so some could spread racism all across the world? Wasn’t racism the reason why the War started in a first place?
        I don’t think that freedom of speech is a bad thing, but, if not restricted, it is something that might be very dangerous and so unwelcome on a terraces.

• Sickofredbias says:

We might as well not have won any war !!The premiership and associated media is turning into a dictatorship where only united can sing offensive and racist songs (hillsborough,Leeds and mark vivien foe etc) without it being mentioned by the biased rag media as tasteless and classless. one rule for you and another rule for us
          get off your high horse as its about to bolt.

• Dave C says:

Blue Moon’s comments are dumb, but to say that racism was the reason for WWII is a bit of crazy historical revisionism.

• mlody.gryzek says:

All I meant was to give a simple example of what Allies did not fought for. Quoting Wikipedia: “Nazizm […] was the ideology and practice of the Nazi Party and of Nazi Germany. It was a unique variety of fascism that involved biological racism and antisemitism” and that is what half of Europe were fighting against.

And knowing that in Poland we’re still having our bit of racism among the – so called – “supporters”, I stand for not allowing them to sing whatever they want. But I have a funny feeling you’ve got my point ;)

• Dave C says:

True in some ways, I suppose…I guess you’re right that racism was at the heart of Nazi ideology, and it might have been the motives for their actions, but I thought you were implying that the Allies fought against the Nazi’s because the Allies were opposed to racism – I don’t think they were, and if Hitler had been content to keep his racism contained within the existing German borders, then the rest of the world wouldn’t have raised a finger.

2. pedmachine says:

This is in poor taste all round. We have a new core of fans who have no real concept of what happened at Munich and use it as a generic term for United fans. I would like to see City fans self-regulate this and hand the culprits over to Police or Stewards. Anyone caught can have their seasoncards taken away and Wembley tickets cancelled. Let’s be decent about what is happening at our Club and win people over on and off the field

• blood Axe says:

Police cricky what charge will it be I’m so hurt they hurt my feelings. Fcuk off. What do you all expect at football matches you sensative little souls.

• Sean says:

Who said anything about charging them?

You had them over to the police or stewards so they can be escorted out of the ground. After that, you ban them.

As John pointed out, people that partake in racist chanting get banned, so why not ban people for this sickening behaviour as well?

• Dave C says:

Sean, this is a good point, and it often is missed by people who are quick to rant about their freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech means that the govt cannot restrict your speech in a public place (such as park, in the street etc) or in the privacy of your own home. A stadium is neither of these things – it is generally owned and managed by the club, and they set the rules (I’ll ignore the grey area of municipally-funded stadia, which are relatively rare in the UK). The owner of the stadium is free to make his rules, and if you don’t follow them, then he can ask you to leave. If you refuse to leave, then the stewards and/or police get involved. Just like if you come to my house for dinner, I can set whatever arbitrary rules I like, and if you don’t like them, you should leave.

Kicking someone out of a stadium for offensive chanting is not in itself an infringement of anyone’s free speech.

• [OPTI]Madschester United says:

Chanting on Munich shows extremely poor knowledge of the event (a City player died too) and general lack of proper reasoning.

In my mind, cheering for others’ deaths (Hillsborough, Munich, Nazi Holocaust, etc) should NOT be part of the football scene.

If you want to curse like a sailor (and lower yourself to that level), you’re welcome to do so, but don’t use other people’s death in the process.

• [OPTI]Madschester United says:

Great article. Completely agree.

“new core of fans”?
      These are the same idiots who have used Munich disaster as their main way of getting at United fans for the past 3 decades. It’s nothing new…

In the end, football is just a game.

• ben says:

please note that the majority of city fans find this completely distasteful and disgusting. that chant is awful.

• Sickofredbias says:

And you are one of the idiots who stands next to the other idiots who sing the very same Hillsborough leeds holocaust songs on a regular basis in your own ground and dont think of complaining about it because you are a one eyed rag.

3. Steve says:

Agreed. That’s an obnoxious chant.

4. David Moss says:

Don’t mean to sound harsh here, but United fans are known the world over for poor taste. I keep reading all the signs that they keep in the stretford end, and to be honest, I really couldn’t give a dam about hurting the feeligns of United supporters. But by saying this I don’t think these chants are appropriate, and I am not keen on them. If you take a bunch of fans who take every single opportunity to have a dig at your team for decades, then you cannot really feel upset when a taunt is given in reply. As it stands United fans are the first to brag about victories, the last to show any dignity in defeat, and they turn on their own players quicker than any other club. I don’t condone the chants like these, but I don’t feel sorry for any untied fan. None of the past has anything to do with the present, no City fan in a proper frame of mind would find the munich disaster amusing. However how many jokes have you had of friends that you would never repeat in the certain company of others. The English, the most hypcocritical nation around at times. Football is football, get over it. If you want to , i’ll start a long thread on all the chants i’ve heard around the other grounds. then we can all observe how messed up we are when we are in the moment at a football game.

• tonyspeed says:

You sound like a typical city fan. Sore loser. Take a dig at your team for decades. Suddenly, this is one sided? I met a city fan the other day from england. I didn’t say a thing to him but he volunteers upon me the “fact” that all of Man Utd fans live outside manchester and if it wasn’t for london, we’d have no fans. Manchester United fans are scum right? Did we forget the Tevez sign in baby blue that said “Welcome to Manchester?”. Right. City fans are so dignified, just like you – condoning celebration of people’s death.

• Earl Reed says:

And there is something to be said about rising above the level of fans who lack class and decency, regardless of the vehicle of stupidity used.

I mean, I watched every second of that United game twice over. I watched the fans when Chicharito scored, and I said to myself, “Well, about 3/4 of them wouldn’t root for United if they were a mid-table team.” I know because I live in America, the top of the heap when it comes to front-runners. When Michael Jordan was King of the NBA, everyone was a Bulls fan. There was a 5-10 year stretch after he left where all those jackets and jerseys and hats either got thrown away or stuffed into a box somewhere in the attic. Every team has a hardcore base, but the best teams have these “lovers of the victory” who glom onto the bandwagon for the ride, and then jump off as soon as the fit hits the shan. And honestly, it’s alright, until you get in my face because your team beat my team.

To boil it down: if you’re a fan of Team X, and a fellow Team X fan is hurling tasteless, classless, incendiary insults at Team Y, turn them in. You see them starting it, you be the one to bring them down. It will be a lesson to the thousands around you who see it, and I’ll bet 99% of them will find what you’ve done to be admirable. There’s plenty of words to use to piss on your opponent that don’t involve tragedies and ethnic cleansing.

• [OPTI]Madschester United says:

Don’t worry! You don’t sound harsh, just stupid.

It is one thing to employ horrible disasters and other’s deaths as a tool for cheering for your own club and against another club, and another thing to use an abysmal record (34 years and counting — come on Stoke!) and other football-related stats (Relegation, Tevez’ Welcome to Manchester promotion and City’s outrageous wages / merchant players / noisy neighbors / little-brother mentality), as a basis for ridicule. If you want to ridicule United there is plenty to pick from without having to go to the dark side.
      - smashing most transfer records in 90s and early 00s (buying success?)
      - Ronaldo leaving for Madrid
      - Glazer’s enormous debt
      - Rooney holding United ransom and putting in a Transfer request
      - Fergie’s red nose :)
      - Fergie is a sore loser
      - blaming ref too often
      - Denis Law relegating United with City
      etc….
      (Unfortunately for opposing fans, United’s recent footballing excellence makes it tough to pin point a lack of trophies or awards)

I don’t even think it is an issue of fan’s feelings as most United fans today were not directly affected by disaster in Munich, but it is a matter of class and humanity. Obviously you do not see it this way.

• Sickofredbias says:

You are a righteous and condascending knob mate, I honestly dont think you have been to a football ground in your whole life and heard the vile that is chanted between opposing fans, you would wet your knickers if you did and continue to watch them on Sky until your mum stops paying the subscription.

• [OPTI]Madschester United says:

Go back to your cave, tw@t. Gone to football games since I was in 13, but grew up, got a job, had a kid, and realized that there is more to life than football — especially in the case of mindless goons who still think they are 13 and that cursing is “cool” :roll:

• Why? says:

[OPTI]Madschester United, I think he may be pointing towards banners that read things like ‘Murderers’ when playing Liverpool etc. and not a 34 years banner!

5. Dave says:

im a City supporter, have been for 40 years or more, yes i dislike MUFC as much as any blue but i dislike the Munich chants. I would like to add how well behaved the City fans were on the 50th anniversary at old trafford, you couldnt hear a pin drop that day. Wherever you go in football theres a minority, i saw it at wembley last week, bottles cans thrown at incoming UTD fans coaches but they were doing the same, still i find it unbelievable people can act in this manner. Like i said earlier i dislike them but would never lower myself to such abuse.

6. Marc says:

I thought it was puzzling the way Liverpool fans were chanting Munich at City fans during that Monday afternoon game last week… very bizarre indeed, it was noticeable on ESPN’s broadcast.

7. David Moss says:

I certainly don’t find it funny, but it you want to talk about football fans, then you have to include every club, because every club has a chant in poor taste, I have been at games where there has been bodily fluids thrown at us, so come on get your head on right. Football is football. Oh i’m not a sore loser, we’ve won our past fews games. You should know that! Leaving these chants to the morons that attend their club games. United have them, city and everyone else too. like it has been said previosuly, City have showed great class, at the liverpool game the other week was a good example. there really is no need to jump on the band wagon with this, unless you can honestly say your own club has fantastic bunch of fans who are honourable gentlemen. but if you sai that, I’d tell you to walk on.

8. joe m says:

Totally agree. You don’t mock player, fan, or other disaster to befallen another team. Period.

Yell obscenities, joke about tabloid gossip, but you don’t touch something as heart breaking as death.

9. somervillain says:

Chants and banners with no value beyond shock value are symptomatic, not the problem. Some people may just be mindlessly joining in, but the ones who take a glee from this and understand what they’re doing have serious psychological problems that go way beyond their antisocial behavior in the stands at football matches.

If you’re joining in this nonsense, just stop.

If you’re not, ignore them. By reacting you’re only giving them the attention they crave.

10. Craig Atton says:

I am a diehard City supporter and even I cringe when that particular chant reverberates through a stadium. There’s fun and there’s tragedy. The line is not a thin one separating either. We shouldn’t forget that many former Man Utd. players have gone on to play for City and vice versa. Young lives were extinguished on that March day in 1958, potential that we never saw progress like that of Duncan Edwards to name one. It needs to stop.

• MNUfan1991 says:

Good man, Craig.

• Why? says:

Firstly Craig you haven’t heard ‘that particular chant’ for a long, long time at a City match so I’m quite sceptical of you being a city fan, maybe from one drunken idiot but certainly not in large groups at home or away nothing you could call a crowd chanting. I have been a season ticket holder for years and it is simply not sung anymore and as you have seen even the slightest mention it‘s all over the papers. Granted it has been sung in the past especially at Maine Rd but not any more.
      Secondly when SOME City fans use the term ‘Munich’s’ they are referring to Utd fans as they call them Munich’s or Rags this will not change, most don’t even think of the disaster when they use it as it is now second nature to some, many even call their Utd friends this! To them it happened many, many years before most of them were even born and has just become a name they use. They did not sing any songs about the disaster or did not revel in glory at their anyone’s death’s last night, they know only to well that Frank Swift died in this crash and the Great City hero Matt Busby was badly hurt as well as many others that never even get mentioned and not only the Utd players and Frank Swift many other also passed. To most of the young City fans this is a just a story and to the young Utd fan it’s something they are told they should get angry about.
      Young lives have been extinguished on many days in football’s history it has never stopped other teams fans doing exactly what the City fans are accused of here but for some reason the high horse always gets rolled out at the very mention of the word Munich by any team against Utd. Come on now be honest how many times have you seen or heard the same kind of hysteria regarding the death of Foe, The dodgy use of the term Yid by spurs fans or not and what about the Hillsbourgh 96 songs to name a few and why is that? Why was there hardly any bad publicity for the classy Utd fans who sang about the death of the 96 a few weeks back? Did John not write a blog somewhere regarding it? He must have done as he’s clearly so Righteous when it come to this sort of thing.
      It’s unfortunately part of football and always will be just like all the two face buffoons on here who have had jokes about Michael Jackson’s or others deaths text to their phones and they laughed at the message, hypocrites one and all! Mr Nicholson all teams fan’s are guilty of tasteless behaviour at some point not just City’s and especially Utd’s which in no way makes this kind behaviour right but does go to show that it’s wide spread across all fans.

• Craig says:

First off, why? I never stated that it was a chant used recently at Eastlands. Does it mean that just because it doesn’t happen at CoMS that our visiting supporters (engaged in the chant) aren’t in some way culpable for those actions? Secondly, my City supporting credentials have never been called into question. You’re the first. This isn’t about City supporters being cut from a different cloth than Ushited supporters. Nasty, sectarian (old firm) and inhumane chants have no place in the game. No doubt they were used last night at Ewood.

I think that once City begin amassing the many trophy’s Marwood, Cook and Mubarak have been spouting on about the bad blood will dissipate if only slightly. We have a complex when it comes to Man Utd. Deservedly so. City supporters are the absolute best in any realm of sport. The vibe at Wembley for the semifinal was an absolute joy to take in and furthermore we were talked about in the most positive light by all of the more often than not negative football pundits. This is what the game is about and why I’m a blue through and through.

• Why? says:

You said ‘I cringe when that particular chant reverberates through a stadium’ I take this to be the Munich song and it doesn’t at ours end of. When exactly are you cringing as it isn‘t when I go away either I was at Old Trafford at the Munich memorial game when all the papers were all saying what a disgrace City’s fan’s were going to be for weeks before the game a none stop onslaught but when it came to it, it was the media’s behaviour that was vile not the City fans?

‘This isn’t about City supporters being cut from a different cloth than Ushited supporters.’ That’s exactly what it is about, note the headline! Why is it these stories are always about City or Liverpool? Most of the Utd fans on here are not aware one little bit of the vile and disgusting behaviour of Utd’s fans and why is that? When do you ever see stories about Hillsbourgh, Heysel and Marc-Vivien Foe songs to name a few get this kind of press? When have you ever seen banners like the one put up in the Stretford end reading ‘Murderers’ against Liverpool? I tell you when never, why is there very little mention of these vile acts? These acts are far, far more frequent by Utd fans. If you are going to go on about City fans using the phrase ‘Munich’s’ to describe Utd’s fans then surly you should be more upset that Utd fans have the vilest behaviour of any fans with their many songs and their blogs about pool fans stealing from dead peoples pockets or chanting murderers regarding the death of the Juve fans, or laughing and singing about Foe’s sudden death, why are these never pointed out?

The fact is Craig that you have let this writer convince more World wide fans that City fans are bad and sing bad chants and that Utd fans are good and don’t do anything just look at their posts! Unless you are totally numb you know this to be wrong they are as disgusting as the worse fans if not worse via their more various and frequent abuse. On the writer FFS he describes hissing noises as some fans he won’t mention as simply fans being ‘unpleasant as possible’ did you get that, unpleasant! What about this ‘those who sing songs about Hillsborough at Liverpool games’ who are these fans he’s talking about while he’s busy naming and shaming City fans why not the cretins who’s identity he seems to be protecting? He tells us City fans ‘routinely sing ‘Munich’ songs’ They did NOT on the night in question and do NOT in general, with not a mention of the disgusting behaviour of the fans he doesn’t want to name and shame. He only directs anything bad at one set of fans while the others have the luxury of remaining anonymous, is this so to keep their image abroad looking good?
          Craig you back this bias view to the hilt, you do not question anything he has regurgitated from elsewhere and dumped here like a Chinese whisper. Id stop calling myself blue through and through as you have just let someone unjustly attack your club while letting others of the hook!!!

• Craig Atton says:

Read and weep. It’s a fact. It has happened. It’s been confirmed. City officials are discussing the matter presently. What else needs to be said here? Are we going to be childish and not punish a child for saying fudge when we know damn well he meant fuck. Come on, mate…don’t be dozy and don’t be childish. This is not about comparing Utd supporters and City supporters. This is about making light of a tragic situation. City officials feel this way as do City legends…i.e. Colin Bell.

• Why? says:

Listen Craig the pretend city fan, you have cut & paste a story in the daily Mail that even states itself City fans sang ‘Who put the ball in the Munich’s net’ this is not in doubt as they did. What DID NOT happen was the singing of the Munich 58 song. The Mail tell you in one line they sung about it but then go on to tell you who they sung about Yaya and that this reference to the Munich 58 song is basically the word Munich. They say what was actually sung in the next paragraph ‘But some of the club’s away supporters hailed midfielder Yaya Toure for ‘putting the ball in the Munich’s net’ during City’s recent FA Cup semi-final win over their rivals at Wembley.’ Now how is this is the Munich 58 song? It‘s solely about the using of the nick name ‘Munich‘s‘. What’s this supposed to mean ‘Read and weep it’s a fact’ what the fact you can’t read properly? Just for you again No Munich 58 song sung.

You say that ‘This is not about comparing Utd supporters and City supporters. This is about making light of a tragic situation.’ which by the way no City fan did. It’s tarring one set of fans with a brush that would not be use on the other. A tragic situation was made light of a few weeks ago in a youth game Liverpool V Utd. Utd’s fans turned up for trouble mob handed 3 were arrested and 6 kicked out during the game that they sang Hillsborough and Heysel songs all the way through, 96 & 39 people died Craig why does these not seem to have a similar stigma to that of the Munich disaster? Where were the neutral blogs telling us that this needs to be stamped out? Where are your comments on this behaviour? This is how the media perceive the two events and it’s very sad that one can be sung about in front of kids and family’s at a youth game in there own back yards by Utd fans and hardly merit a mention!! On the other hand call a Utd fan a Munich, not laugh at a disaster or glory in death and all hell brakes lose.
            I note you still haven’t pointed to the fact that the despicable behaviour that is perpetrated by Utd fans go’s unmentioned in this blog. If you’re a City fan why is that? Oh and please get me the quotes from any City officials have said that they are discussing any matter presently and not a paper saying things like ‘City officials are understood to have heard the chants last night and may now make a fresh appeal for an end to the singing.’ Understood by who? It’s nonsense reporting he should basically say ‘I think city officials are to do something’ an actual quote as I haven’t seen one anywhere.
            Just for you I will say again as your clearly not a City fan (I mean ‘Ushited’, come on!) otherwise you would know that chant such as ‘Carlos Tevez is a blue he hates Munich’s’ means he hates Utd fans and not he disrespects the deaths in the Munich disaster it’s a nickname that some use. I do not neither do I call Pool fans murderers

• Craig Atton says:

Again, man…you’ve lost the plot. Quite honestly you make me and my mates laugh.

11. Terry says:

First we should agree that every club has fans that are despicable. No club is immune from it. So City fans are no different to United fans to Arsenal fans, etc.

The league needs to put the onus on each club to police such bad behaviour. It’s one thing to mock a player, such as Liverpool fans mocking Michael Owen when he returns to Anfield, but it is quite another when the fans chant about disasters, racism, etc. If clubs pay a hefty fine for the behavior of their supporters then I’m sure they will take it seriously and we will see fewer incidents of this kind.

There is a difference between free speech and hate speech.

• somervillain says:

Let’s just be clear on what we’re condemning here. This is about speech in incredibly poor taste, not hate speech. Hate speech is a very specific thing, and it’s important that the definition not be watered down to include things like this.

12. Evan says:

Why single out City when there are far worse chants in the premier league?

13. R2Dad says:

Wot? “fruity and industrial”? excellent turn of phrase…lol

14. Footballfool says:

What purpose would chants like that have at a football match? No other reason than to be hurtful. To hurt who ? The 10 year olds in the stands? The fathers that have to explain it? NO other reason than to be hurtful. Simple as that. You are entitled to your freedom of speech. Say and think what you want. It’s the kind of hurtful, mean person you are that shows when you speak your mind like that (and support those who do). That’s nothing to be proud of. Do you think that the CIty players were proud of their fans? Hell no. They probably though what idiots they were. If they even heard them at all. I believe that if one is THAT hurtful, you should have your windpipe crushed.

15. Dakota says:

Okay okay so yes, a lot of the rants and raves are a bit out of line, over the top, and inappropriate. But I guess at the same time, it’s kind of exhilarating to see the unity of the fans. I’m not saying its a reason to be abusive in their speech, and I’m certainly not saying that it is okay to bring up tragic events in a nonchalant way. But fans are fans and are gonna do and say stupid things, it seems to be fan-nature.

16. ManU Ruin Football says:

manU fans sing about Hillsborough all the time.
    oh of course the media totally ignore that.

• RedisLife says:

U fool. Scoursers are the filthiest fans – lobbing Pies and all sorts over. Ur just a bunch of degenerates.

“Park Park wherever you may be……”

17. Evan says:

I think city fans will stop. City legend Colin the King just said City fans need to stop the chants. If they don’t stop now nothing will save them.
    I’m a city fan, but the chants are distasteful no matter how classless united may be.

18. Mark says:

To be fair I think people need to look at the problems in society in general, the people that sing these songs are wrong but every club has fans that would stoop to this level. As a City fan i am ashamed by the Munich chants and think they belittle my club and our supporters. There is an article worth reading at http://www.themondaysupplement.co.uk/headline/we-love-you-sick-chants-we-do/

that highlighted the growing rise of these stupid chants and talks about how they are coming back into fashion.

19. steve says:

disasters happen from time to time. and as years go by,the younger generation who don’t rmember those disasters or the effect they had …don’t give a monkeys
    .football has always been a place you can abuse your rivals.taunting about disasters you know nothing about has always been part of that.

as a liverpool fan i admit i used to sing the munich song. i wasnt even born in 58, i didnt really know about munich,wasnt interested in it but i knew singing it wound up united fans.
    then one day probaly about 1987 i saw a program on tv about munich and it changed by thinking. i decided to cut it out.maybe i felt guilty,maybe i was just getting older and wiser.

then of course we had hillsborough. as the mancs like to say “what goes around comes around”

some united fans celebrated like they’d won the title,which in 1989 would have been a miracle. i can honestly say i didnt blame them. after the taunting about munich i expected no less.and of course ,despite their holier than thou attitude,they were actually proving they were just as sick as us scousers.

going to games the next few seasons after hillsborough there were only 2 sets of fans who had a section that taunted us about hillsborough, united and forest.

then it happened at millwall and sadly at goodison from a small section of evertonians.

recent years i’ve heard comments at our away games from home fans. the usual abuse but more and more references to hillsorough.i know it’s only going to get worse.

it’s sad that fans laugh at death. but i dont think any set of fans would be immune to the problem if something happened to their most hated rivals.

man united like to make out they’re saints. not really,they just had the first disaster that drew taunts from rival fans. they excuse their own sick songs about shankly,hillsborough,istanbul because they had it from scousers and leeds. but i have no doubt in my mind had munich never happened,they’d still be singing sick songs to lfc and leeds.