Our week of action has already kicked off with the, ahem, controversial draw between New England and Vancouver. But there is a full slate of intriguing games this weekend, so please vote in the poll at the end of this post. Before doing that, however, let’s take a look at the news from the past week.
- Shirtgate continues, as Eric Hassli looks to receive a fine and will certainly miss this Sunday’s match against Houston. While apologetic for the action, he did say through a team spokesman that removing one jersey to reveal another would not have drawn a card in the Swiss league. Well there you go.
- But in good news for the Whitecaps two players may be returning to the roster this weekend. Omar Salgado (United States) and Russel Tiebert (Canada) both return from the U-20 tournament and Selgado could receive his first MLS playing time on Sunday.
- I personally love the Portland-Seattle-Vancouver rivalry, not just because it drives site hits but because all three teams strive to tweak the others. Now there’s this: there is a new phone app for Portland fans called Timbers Axe where Timber Joey protects his garden from intruders using his ax. The game is not recommended for children under 13, and can be downloaded here. Some of the objects attacking the garden may be familiar.
- Not an MLS story, but in case you missed it America’s Canada’s “greatest” export Justin Bieber played a little soccer with Barcelona. Here’s video to prove it.
- And finally the American U-20 team suffered a somewhat shocking loss to Guatemala. The calls have already begun for Thomas Rongen’s head; feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments section below.