Real Salt Lake established itself as the Supporters Shield front runner, Seattle is still struggling to score goals but New York shows how to gain points without them, and are the Union the East team to beat? The national team members return from Team Bradley while some of the youth team players are still out of MLS action. Tonight’s Fox Soccer Match of the Week is the Columbus Crew hosting FC Dallas, a match where the visiting team may be favored but the home team wants to try and steal three points.
Here’s what else happened this week:
- One of the hot new things in MLS this week is Dallas DP Fabian Castillo. Schellas Hyndman was impressed with the skill he showed in his debut, especially since he was coming off youth team action for Columbia that same week. He looks to be a special player at only 18.
- Toronto added some depth this week with the signing of Jamaican international Dicoy Williams. Besides his wonderfully punny name, Williams brings a warm body into a back line which has allowed four goals so far this year.
- Steve Goff, one of the best soccer writers in the country, broke that news that by the end of the month Andy Najar will have announced which nation he will represent in international play. Check out the article for Goff’s predictions, which I think are accurate.
- For those American soccer traditionalists, Drew over at WV Hooligan notes that the 2011 World Football Challenge spells the end of SuperLiga. I know some people feel passionately about this, but I simply don’t. I like the WFC format.
- If your rage still boils over the U.S. not receiving the 2022 World Cup, or you simply hate FIFA, check out this article by Grant Wahl on the FIFA executive committee’s compensation.
Vote in the poll and share what we missed in the comments.