THURS, 1PM ET
THURS, 3PM ET
VIL
ZUR
THURS, 3PM ET
MON
APO

World Football Challenge: Is Manchester City Coming Stateside?

World Football Challenge World Football Challenge: Is Manchester City Coming Stateside?This afternoon, Manchester United will be officially announcing their 2011 summer tour. Some of those games will be part of the 2011 World Football Challenge, a tournament featuring some of the top teams in the world competing in games across the United States this summer.

The last time the tournament was held in 2009, Chelsea won it after defeating Inter Milan, AC Milan and Club America.

This summer, the teams are believed to be Manchester United, Barcelona, Manchester City, Real Madrid, Club America, Juventus and Chivas Guadalajara. But I’m also hearing rumors that AC Milan may be one of the teams. As soon as the news comes in regarding which teams are participating and where they’ll play, we’ll report it here on EPL Talk.

We’re keeping our fingers crossed that Manchester City will be coming Stateside again this summer especially after their successful tour they had last summer.

Out of the ones listed above, which teams do you want to see compete against each other in your city? Share your wishlists below in the comments section.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to World Football Challenge: Is Manchester City Coming Stateside?

1. MennoDaddy says:

Just a point of clarification — generally, top-tier clubs (the Man Us, Man Citys, AC Milans, etc.) bring their B or C squads to summer events like this yes? Is there any reason to suspect that we will see a full-strength side from any of these teams during the summer tours?

2. Gazinho says:

I think this year will see strong teams and big names in attendance, mainley due to the fact it isn’t a world cup or Euro year.

3. Rob says:

Man u vs real madrid in chicago, preferably soldier field

4. Greg says:

I’m sure Manchester City’s tour last year was financially successful, but it cost them at least one potential fan. After the World Cup, I was ready to follow the premier league and after some research I decided to adopt Manchester City, mostly because it appealed to the contrarian in me as everyone I talked to about teams kept mentioning Man United.

Anyway, it was exciting because the team I decided to follow was coming to play Inter Milan in Baltimore. So I went to see them, ready to see them first hand and soak in the atmosphere first hand. For the next 90 minutes, Man City went out there and attempted to reinforce every negative stereotype Americans have about soccer. Boring, negative and dull. I tried to give them a chance when the season started and they had a full squad. They didn’t do much to change my mind, but honestly their performance that day lost me and today I am an enthusiastic Spurs fan.

I hope when these teams, especially the ones that aren’t global powerhouses, do these tours they remember that this could be someone’s first impression and play as such, cause it certainly made an impact on my rooting interests.

• dan says:

It’s a shame that you don’t remember the completely unwarranted red card Viera picked up extremely early in that game. We were missing most of our new signings and had 10 men, I suppose it would have been nice to try and play flashy for the American fans but I think it’s wholly unfair for you to jump ship so quickly.

• Greg says:

Perhaps its a bit unfair, but your first live experience with a team sorta sticks with you I find. And I would argue that in a friendly on an overseas tour, the whole point is to appeal to new fans. Why it wasn’t more open like, say, the 3rd Place Game at the World Cup, I don’t understand.

Everything I’ve ever read about picking an EPL team talks about how a team picks you. This was probably my mistake. I should have watched more before picking a team and found a style of play that appealed to me. The 4 or 5 times I watched City I was struggling to pay attention, and when I watched Spurs I was always riveted. But I can’t deny that game left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Evan says:

No offense, but you’re and idiot. First of all, I saw that game. It wasn’t dull. Do you really expect Man City to all out attacking against the reigning European champs with 10 men??? Give me a break.
      Not that I want a plastic fan like you supporting City anyway.

• Ardwickian says:

Spuds can ave you,it seems a nice fit.

• Scott says:

Yeah, I wonder what it would be like to attack the reigning European Champs with only 10 men, not to mention in a game that matters. It might lead to a Gareth Bale revolution. Sounds like Greg found the right team.

• Jeff says:

Been a city fan for nearly a year, never had a chance to see them. I hope they play in Atlanta. Just hope I can make it to a game, and if I can make it through the lay-offs at my job I should be able too. Really glad to see they are coming Stateside.

• Dave C says:

It was a friendly – if you can’t be entertaining in a friendly, ten men or not, then when the hell can you be entertaining?

• Paul says:

Greg, you really are an idiot. You’re exactly the type of person who gives American soccer supporters a bad name. Do you have any understanding of the game at all?

As a City supporter who was at the game in Baltimore, I’m glad you’ve decided to stay away from our club. We don’t want you anywhere near it.

Please stick to watching MLS and the US national team.

• MennoDaddy says:

Wow, you City fans sure are sensitive! I’m sure Greg’s crying in his beer right now because some online City fans are calling him an idiot for not picking your team.

Sheesh.

• james says:

you are an idiot. it was a preseason game. go back to the nfl.

5. David says:

So far, the teams in the World Football Challenge are Manchester United, FC Barcelona, Chicago Fire, and NE Revolution. Here is the schedule so far:

Man U vs NE Revolution 7/13
    Man U vs Chicago Fire 7/23
    Man U vs FC Barcelona 7/30

source: http://www.worldfootballchallenge.com/

6. Mizzy says:

I can understand what Greg’s saying. And as a City fan i’m glad i found them years ago and not this summer. My first City game ever was against Sporting at Red Bull stadium and if that was the first match i ever saw i might have second thoughts on this team as well.

I think most of the negativity isnt from the fact that we’ve lost Greg as a supporter as much as it is about the fact that most City fans 2nd most hated team is Spurs.

• MennoDaddy says:

Which is funny, because Spurs fans seem to not hate City nearly as much as City fans hate Spurs. Spurs save their enmity for the Arse, and maybe Chelsea.

I don’t get into pissing matches with new American fans to the EPL when they pick a team. While I’d never recommend that a new fan support Arsenal (I *am* a Spurs fan, after all :D ), ultimately I’m just glad that another Yank is watching the EPL. And I’d gladly have a pint with anyone who posts here, regardless of club affiliation.

• Mizzy says:

Spurs currently have “bigger fish to fry” as the saying goes. And most of the reason City fans hate Spurs is because we always lose to them even when we have the better team. I have no memory of City beating Spurs and i’ve been a City fan for 15 years. I’m sure its probably happened, but it was likely a long time ago.

Your second paragraph is a good one, and more people here need to adopt that policy.

• MCHobbit says:

Definitely agree – I think that City fans ire for Spurs obviously also increased after they nabbed 4th last season as well.

It looks as if it will come down to the wire again this year!

And I also agree with Menno’s approach to cultivating support for ANY club here stateside (well, except for ManU, lol ;) ). I’m always thrilled when I see someone in another club’s kit/colors (and can’t wait till I actually run into someone in City sky blue, now that I live on the east coast, and am more likely to have that occur).

• Ian says:

I for one am an American City fan that picked the team around about 2004… I bleed city blue (stoked for tomorrow’s semi-final) and never miss a chance to follow them…

My first game was also at the Redbull stadium. I was disapointed in how we lost both matches… But… we were also starting fresh while I think that Sporting at least had been warming up for a tournament that saw them play meaningful games well before we did… I was in ecstatic to be in the same building as SWP (my favorite) and would never have been turned off to City based on pre-season matches, but I do remember feeling that I should make it a point to head across the pond as I’m sure seeing the boys in midseason form would be a much different experience.

As for “always loosing to the spuds”… funny you say that as one of my favorite early memories of supporting city was watching a brilliant FA cup tie at White Hart Lane where-in we came back from a three goal deficit to win 4-3 with only 10 men from before the half…

CTID.

Ian from NYC

7. tonyspeed says:

anybody but club america in atlanta georgia dome. I’m so tired to seeing them and their fans.

• Brandon says:

I agree. I bet Atlanta doesn’t get a game this year becuase last year’s crowd was not that great. If its Club America and another team I don’t care about then I am not going again.

8. SkyBlue41 says:

City will be playing Vancouver Whitecaps on July 18. Excellent, since the family was planning a British Columbia vacation that very week!

As a once-player, ref and coach in my long-ago youth, I adopted City since I love the actual City of Manchester and detest Man Utd. My casual support became fanatic after the 04 FA Cup match v. Spurs where the Blues came back from 3-0 at halftime with just ten men after Barton got sent off for dissent. Greatest match ever . . . until this Saturday’s!! I’ve certainly lived the “typical City” life since then, through the ups and downs. For the last 3 years I’ve gone to at least one match a season in Manchester (saw City beat Bolton this year), so for a Yank I’m pretty committed.

Looking forward to 5/14, a shot at CL and definitely the summer visit!