THURS, 1PM ET
THURS, 3PM ET
VIL2
MON2
THURS, 3PM ET
CEL1
SAL3

Phil dowd French State TV Report That Interpol Investigating Arsenal/Newcastle Draw Denied

The Referee, as well as Arsenal's Tomas Rosicky, are under suspicion.

Breaking: France State TV is reporting that Interpol, the International Police Agency, are investigating the Arsenal/Newcastle draw from the weekend, centering in on odd betting patterns. The alleged investigation includes Arsenal winger Tomas Rosicky, whose foul was allegedly the cause of the second Newcastle penalty. Also under investigation is referee Phil Dowd. Arsenal will allegedly make a statement on this tomorrow. For more info, see the original French report ( http://tele.premiere.fr/Zapster/Un-incroyable-match-de-foot-plonge-au-coeur-d-une-enquete-judiciaire). Also, Gabriele Marcotti’s twitter feed has more information on this breaking story. (@Marcotti on Twitter).

UPDATE: Interpol has denied this report. It seems this that report was totally bunk. For more, see: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/8308192/Interpol-deny-investigation-into-Newcastle-Arsenal-game.html

This entry was posted in Arsenal, General, Leagues: EPL, Newcastle United, Premier League. Bookmark the permalink.

101 Responses to French State TV Report That Interpol Investigating Arsenal/Newcastle Draw Denied

1. Art V says:

Dawd definitely cheated.. both were non penalties.. Todays hit on Ivanovich was a penalty.. Jumping straight up for a ball never is..

• glennunited says:

Both were penalties…that is utter rubbish to say they weren’t WATCH THE GAME AGAIN!!!! IDIOT!
      This is stupid to think the game was fixed, what a absolute joke!!!

• Jake Islas says:

Whether the game is fixed or not, the second penalty was rubbish. You have to admit that was a horrible bad call. So stop yelling, if you can’t admit that then you’re as biased as anyone.

2. gargoyle says:

As I said yesterday it was Arsenal 4 – Phil Dowd 4.

3. Nick says:

There may’ve been some foul dubious calls, but the only one really gamechanging was the Rosicky penalty but the ref also called Leon Best’s goal offside when it clearly wasn’t. So at the end of the day, still 4-4, can’t take anything away from Arsenal or Newcastle.

4. Josh says:

For the Dowd haters and Arsenal fans (me included), yes there were bad calls but if you watch the France TV report, the focus appears to be mainly on Rosicky. They showed highlights of all his terrible plays. Maybe on that 2nd penalty, Dowd was in on it…but let’s not forget that the investigation appears focused on Rosicky at this point.

5. Wan says:

It wasn’t just the two penalties. The free kick leading to the 4th newcastle goal was dubious. It was a clear dive from Barton being nudged by powerhouse Rosicky. Seems like everytime he put his hands on a Newcastle player a freekick was given. Not to mention how Barton got away card free from atleast yellow card tackles on arshavin and diaby.

6. JEL says:

Am I surprised that Dowd could have been cheating? NOT FOR ONE SECOND! He should be banned from Refereeing in everywhere but Antarctica. I think they should investigate Howard Webb also, Man United’s personal referee.

• bobkoh says:

@JEL: A bitter gooner, aren’t you? how did ManU come into this? you should be discussing how free-flowing Arsenal collapsed. And don’t blame it on the sending off.
      your comments are out of line & shows what a ‘fan’ you’re. get a life!

• Simon Burke says:

I usually like Dowd, I think hes been fair to Arsenal over the years which is why second half yesterday seemed so odd. I attributed it to Fabregas abuse of 4th official v Everton and the refs standing together but even thats wrong.

• porciestreet says:

You got that one dead right !!!

7. Bishopville Red says:

I think, compared to the rest of his body of work, Dowd will be proven mentally deficient, not dishonest.

8. Simon Burke says:

Massive Arsenal fan here and I try to be fair to refs. I felt Arsenal had a rough ride on Tuesday in first half v Everton and I whined bitterly.
    Then i saw second half v Newcastle:
    Events:
    1) Diaby RED: its a red. Barton however was a red too in many eyes for a terrible tackle. He had a dreadful tackle first half on Arshavin. Again not punished.
    2) First pen: Its a pen in some ref’s eyes. Others wouldnt give it.
    3) Newcastle goal called offside incorrectly. Should have stood. Linesman thus exonerated.
    4) Newcastle second pen. Travesty. Still not sure who it was called against. Rosicky hardly made a move to get that called.
    5) Free kick on Barton – shockingly laughable. Never a free kick. Ref conned or aware? Leads to tieing goal.
    6) Van Persie offside- borderline. Again linesman exonerated.

Those incidents all went against Arsenal. Chance? maybe. A day later interpol investigating. I hope it has legs. Apparently the idea was the ref making sure those who bet on the Over were rewarded so his decisions gearded towards goals.

Also I am a big Arsenal fan and I usually like Dowd, feel he is safe hands. His performance second half was out of character I felt. Very anti Arsenal in his decisions, but again, i am an Arsenal fan so cant claim to be unbiased.

• phil says:

It appears that the investigation began because of unusual movements of money(which I assume means betting action that must have seemed suspect-i.e. alot of late money on Newcastle).

There was no one decision that is dispositive but there was a pattern. I mean to start:

Barton upends Arshavin, no foul, immediately followed by a similar tackle from Diaby in response that in fact is called to end the first half. Barton’s tackle on Diaby that started everything is terrible, no card, but not even a foul was called? Diaby gets two yellows, one for pushing Barton, one for pushing Nolan who had just pushed him?

The Koscielny penalty was weak. Not saying it was outrageous, but it was a soft call. Then Wojo holds on to the ball and Barton pushes him, Nolan pretty much wrestles him to the ground-no foul? Wojo gets a yellow?

I’m sure Rosicky is still wondering what he did to get the penalty called against him. And then Barton clearly though he was playing in Serie A the way he went down on the free kick. The pattern was shocking. If I had watched it live and not known was about to happen I would have been beside myself. As it was I wondering how it could seriously have happened

As for Rosicky getting investigated, he was involved in a penalty and a free kick that let to 2 goals in a suspicious, I’m not surprised Interpol would be looking at him as well. Not to say that I think he’s guilty of anything-the calls, in my mind, were terrible, but only that a reasonable investigation would have to look at him.

• phil says:

Also, the reports says that the investigation was actually started by German authorities. And mentions Chinese triads.

• Ref says:

“Diaby gets two yellows, one for pushing Barton, one for pushing Nolan who had just pushed him? ”

This is untrue. A referee cannot give a second yellow before showing the first. Regardless of the second offense occurring before showing the first yellow, he cannot give it. He was, quite fairly, given a straight red for the neck push.

For my money I can hardly see a difference between what Nolan did to Szczczszsney (sp??) and what Diaby did. The Nolan headlock was far more dangerous but less malicious.

Overall, I think the whole issue will go down to incompetent refereeing, not bribery.

• Dave C says:

I agree with “Ref” here – it was a straight red, not two yellows. I don’t know why people say such dumb stuff when any match report will tell you it was a straight red, not two yellows.

• phil says:

Perhaps, the commentators appeared to be saying that Dowd was indicating two, as in two yellows. Anyway, it all means nothing, except for a bad game for Dowd, if in fact there was no investigation.:

9. Gary says:

How about investigating the FA and the Referee assosiation as well?
    Arsenal has had a lot of strange decisions going against them.

10. Gunners13 says:

Let´s not forget this was a massive slip-up and even though a few decisions went againts us – this is embarassing for me as a big gooner fan – how can you be 4-0 up and not win it – we dit against Spurs and on Saturday we lost points against.

Absurdly enough we have closing in the gap to Manure

11. HawaiiGunner says:

Don’t forget Sczeszny being thrown to the ground after the penalty, then being yellow carded, as his assaulter walked away unscathed… Terrrrrrrible….

12. [OPTI]Madschester United says:

Despite spreading this post on Facebook and other sites, I find the rumors a bit dubious. Arsenal collapsed in the 2nd half but not until Diaby was sent off and the first penalty (which was not that unusual). Newcastle even had a goal disallowed… surely Dowd can overrule the linesman on off-side (right?).

I doubt this bears fruit for Interpol, but if it does, I also fear that there must be more corruption in the EPL than just this ONE game.

Potential dark days coming up for the EPL (and blessing for UEFA as they look to create the Euro Super League)… conspiracy theories :)

13. Brown says:

the second penalty was not dubious, unless you’re an arsenal fan, but maybe a little soft if you’re a purist. mike williamson and the other arsenal player both go up to head the ball, and then rosicky — making no attempt to play the ball — comes crashing into williamson…it was a legit penalty. just about every play for the last 10-15 minutes rosicky was trying to foul someone or van persie was offside.

• Simon Burke says:

Honestly felt it was very very soft. Second pen to be given too and the first was hardly set in stone. I’d have given first but never second. Rarely will you ever see a ref give 2 pens in such a short time and both were hardly stonewall.

14. Paw says:

This is just silly… Arsenal get pegged back, so there must be some sort of conspiracy.

Barton challenge was never ever a red card, Diaby raised his hands TWICE, once at Barton and then Nolan.
    First Pen was a bit soft, but blame the defender for making such a silly challenge, from behind, when there was no need.
    Best was clearly onside, scored, yet he was ruled offside.
    Second Pen, terrible decision. However, given that Best had a perfectly fine goal disallowed, this evened it out.
    Foul on Barton for 4th goal. Meh, not a foul IMO, but i see them given every week

Arsenal fans need to stop whining, and just admit you fell to pieces.

Every week is the same story with Arsenal, the whole world is against us. I find it ironic that Arsenal fans have the gall to moan about refs, when over the years they have constantly cheated/dived etc etc. I still remember 2005/2006 at Highbury, Freddie Ljungberg dive to win a pen. Not nice is it.

• Simon Burke says:

No interpol didnt open an investigation because of Arsenal. They did it on betting practices. I am sure Rosicky isnt involved, he seems the victim of a google translation. I am sure Newcastle arent involved.

• Sim says:

I hope arsenal get points deducted the cockney wankers

• wan says:

Barton’s challenge on diaby was atleast a yellow. so too was the one on arshavin. But he got nothing throughout the match. My complains against Dowd is the lack of carding for certain newcastle fouls and obviously the 2nd penalty. If that was a foul, you’d end up with 10 penalties a match.

• Jake Islas says:

Everyone knows Barton’s reputation, and so many times players’ reputation is what gets them carded prematurely or gives them the benefit of the doubt. In this case, Barton was shown leniency when he has a reputation for hard fouls. And if Dowd is giving weak calls against Arsenal, especially on Barton’s dives, then obviously he’s not in the mood to be lenient. The suspicion isn’t coming out of no where.

• Paw says:

You cant be serious…. An Arsenal fan moaning about players diving… I’ve heard it all now.

Barton reputation had no bearing on the refereeing, and nor should it.

• Paw says:

Barton did not do anything wrong in the Diaby challenge, he went in hard, but it was a good challenge. I agree on the Arshavin foul thou, without doubt a yellow. Over the course of the season Arsenal get away with a lot more than what goes against them. Cesc is a perfect example, ive seen him make some very bad and late challenges but not get booked.

If i was an Arsenal fan the only thing i would be moaning about is Diaby and my defence. It was a shocking example of players thinking the job was done before the 90 mins.

15. Morgan says:

@Brown

Look at the 2nd penalty again. You’ll actually see the Newcastle player with two arms over Koscielny’s shoulders. If anything it should have been a free kick going the other way.

16. trickybrkn says:

I watched the game, and Dowd didn’t have a great game… BUT, this isn’t about that… Its about betting lines. And thing is, if you understand betting, is that lines move rapidly when teams put games away. So at half time you could probably have bet 10 quid and won a 1000 if you bet a draw. (I have no idea what the real line was). So for its really not all that shocking that eyebrows where raised when for the first time ever in the PL that a team came back from 4 goals down to draw that someone might ‘look into it’. But I’m sure at the end of the day this will fade away. Dowd may be a poor ref, but I doubt a cheat. Rosicky isn’t going to risk his career nor his club standing for quick cash from criminals.

come on.

• Paw says:

Im sure the odds were 1000/1 for Nufc to get a draw at HT…. I was very tempted to put a £1 on it. Even at 2-4 the odds were good, and anyone at the game knows full well, Arsenal were wilting.

How can Dowd be questioned when it was the linesman the gave most of the dodgy decisions. Nufc have the second highest scored goals at home this season, scoring 4 past 10 man Arsenal isnt a great shock. I’d be very surprised if Interpol are seriously looking into this.

• cousto says:

saw on a betting site (won’t name, but they advertise ‘bet in play’) at 55mins they had the odds at 250000-1 for newcastle to equalise. They have probably called foul as quite a few people cashed in. But they know the risks of live bets, so I have no sympathy.

17. [OPTI]Madschester United says:

Match-fixing is what Wenger does to balance his budget… 5 years without a trophy makes a man desperate :)

• Phenoum says:

Piss off you half-wit

• [OPTI]Madschester United says:

I just downloaded the FIFA 11 squad updates and Dowd is added to Newcastle :P

You Gunners chumps need to calm down… I am sure we can all agree that the reason you are trophy-less for the past 5 years and your ability to bottle all types of games is not down corrupt referees… every one can come up with examples where the ref was poor, what goes around comes around. And diving, please don’t tell me that Le Arse don’t dive

• Phenoum says:

And i suppose you’ll be just as inclined to admit that Manure dive as well then? and your “enforcer” Fletcher is a dirty nagging player (though he doesn’t often resort to “reducer” tackles like some). But seriously though – how in the world did he not even get a YELLOW for his shove on the ref (Webb?) a few weeks ago?

18. Tito says:

The referee was overly influenced by the atmosphere created by the fans. The “odd” betting lines can probably be attributed to people who know the Arsenal and realized they were going to implode after Diaby got sent off. Nothing here, move along.

19. Adam says:

Must have been a conspiracy when they blew it to Spurs too………..

20. Aaranpd says:

I don’t know how anyone can say Barton’s challenge on Diaby was a red card offence oreven a yellow, he clearly went for the ball and got it one footed if you expect teams to not win the ball from the opposition and just prance around then that wouldrunin the game, it is a high intensity sport and hard challenges go in. However Nolan should have gone off for his headlock, the first penalty was and the second penalty should not of happend, it was Koscielny’s fault for kicking the back of Best’s legs several times and then tripping him up.

This will be interesting to see what happens, sadly it ruins the amazing game it was.

• Phenoum says:

“I don’t know how anyone can say Barton’s challenge on Diaby was a red card offence oreven a yellow, he clearly went for the ball and got it one footed”

Alas if you had a clue you’d be smart enough to recognize that tackle for what it was. Glad you’re not a ref or we’d be seeing leg breaks every 2 weeks.

21. Jim Coyle says:

JIM
    This is stupid Arsenal collapsed, forget the penaties etc. their goal was peppered in the last half an hour of the game Rangers shot at goal saved, Williams header at near post saved, Nolans near miss at the far post etc.
    Newcastle did not give up at any time in that game and showed character which Arsenal sadly lacked.
    Yes the penalties were stupid and very soft, then again defenders should not make those mistakes when you foul in the box it is a penalty.
    This was a game Arsenal should have put away, they totally out classed Newcastle in the first half, then failed in the second half, so stop moaning about the Referee and what should have been, the blame lies squarly on the players who did not have the bottle and the manger who did not impress on the team at half time that Newcastle would not lie down.
    Well done Newcastle for a fine display of guts and making a game of it.

22. Daniyal says:

I watched the whole game and I can honestly say by the end of it I was convinced there was something shaddy going on. The problem is if there is something going on and fans just don’t want to take it into consideration, over time the doubts disappear. We forget. This isn’t about me being an Arsenal fan or someone else being a tottenham fan. We all love the sport> i was incensed when that goal line incident happened with tottenham. Yes many of the decisions dowd made, each of them can be seen as (okay he just made a bad decision). The thing that really puts this into doubt as a legit game is the frequency of dubious decisions. Diaby sent off nolan not for the headlock on wojiech. Two really really soft penalty. You would think after giving one the ref would wait for a stone cold penalty to give, The foul given on barton was ridiculous(rosikcy) taking into consideration the ones not given against Arsenal. It was the inconsistency of it all that makes this situation very dubious and worthy looking into. We can’t just close our eyes and think it can’t happen in the EPL. It happened in italy. And if it is happening we need to put our loyalties aside and make the hard call and call for accountability. otherwise the cheaters will continue to cheat.

• porciestreet says:

Are you sure your name is,nt denial. Just take it on the chops and move on. Toon fans have been up against this sh1t for years. Howay the Lads.

• Daniyal says:

I have nothing but utmost respect for toon fans. Again this is not about one team. Watch the game and tell me you don’t feel uneasy about it with all honesty. A match like that can easily be made money off of. At half time the odds of a newcastle comeback would have been very low. Someone calls up dowd at half time to manipulate the game and get his cut. I am not even suggesting its definitely a conspiracy against arsenal(though when it happened in italy certain high level individuals were making the refs make decisions for their teams). I am saying such situations are one where money can be made off of. Are we just going to go into denial and not question such games. At the very least if we insinuate such doubts, the referees might be put under pressure to do their jobs better. Does anyone disagree that the refereeing standards in the EPL are appalling? There is no accountability. The same refs turn out time after time and change games and we( and I mean everyone) have to just take it on the chin?

23. arsene wenger says:

ermmmmm arsenal v sunderland anyone? thmas rosicky blasts a penalty so high over the bar, it was predictable by the shameon his face, alexsong gets the two softest yellow cards and sent off, sunderland get added time on added time thenscore and equiliser despite clear fouls in the box on clichy and squilachi,who was ref??? DOWD, who missed apenalty and a 5 yeard sitterso blatantly? rosicky,who spent nearly two years in drug rehab??? rosickyyyyy

• Dave says:

Don’t forget 4 minutes were given in extra time and Dowd blew the whistle like at 5:20 after Bent equalized. I watched the game back on DVR at the time and found no reason why the whistle wasn’t blown on time and Wenger was furious about it and I believe that’s how he got his sideline ban for a game.

Not for nothing- as I don’t believe any of this will have legs. but TWO games in the same season were clearly defined by Dowd’s questionable calls.

During the course of a season a team will lose a few to stuff like that- its the human factor, but you don’t expect the same ref involved in two of them.

You know what they say, once is a coincidence, twice is suspicious, three times is a conspiracy.

*shrug*

24. Canuck says:

If somebody was going to fix it, why would the decided score be a 4-4 draw? it wasnt fixed, lets move on

• Dave C says:

Exactly. Great point. I elaborated on it a little further down (I didn’t realize you had already said it). Match fixers operate by ensuring things “go to plan”, not by ensuring that far-fetched outcomes happen. That way no-body suspects them.

25. looneytoon says:

You arsenal fans are truely truely sad, you just came up against a team that was better than you and you don’t like it, i agree with some of you that it takes a special person to become an arsenal fan i just didn’t realise there was that many special idiots around??
    seeing as you come from quite an affluent area of london one would think that you would be quite well educated, unfortunately you all got missed out as it shows with your attitdues your all pig headed, arrogant and quite frankly pathetic and your reputation for being the biggest wingers is right EVERY DAM GAME YOU DON’T WIN YOU FOLLOW THAT PATHETIC MANAGER AND HIS WINGEING. YOU NEED TO START PLAYING PROPER FOOTBALL YOU BIG BUNCH OF PUSSY’S

26. mummy says:

your really are a sad bunch of low life, if you really think there is a conspiracy theory and the whole world is against you everytime you don’t get the results you want,
    talk about delusional fans

27. Zuccaba says:

Come on people. We screwed up. Royally. Even though there were some decisions that went against us, whining and moaning will not change the result. Let’s just focus on the next game. The title race is far from over.

28. johng says:

They’re on to us damnit. I made a personal fortune betting Tiote wd score a 23-yard volley with his weaker foot in the 87th minute to equalize and Nolan miss a 5-4 winner by inches in the 4th minute of extra time. I had good side bet too on five minutes being awarded for extra time.

29. Dave (dlbags) says:

FYI: According to @LaurensJulien France 2 is backing off their story on this matter and apparently they “went too far too fast”. And there’s no investigation either.

Amazing how fast everyone gets crazy.

• Dave (dlbags) says:

All of this being said I’d like to make a few points now that we are past the BS.

-Greatest comeback of all time??? Really is the bar that low that A) the team with the lead has to go down a man B) the team that came back didn’t even win it and C) 2 of the goals were from penalty kicks which were questionable.

-In a perfect world the game would have been 10 on 10 3-5 Arsenal. But it isn’t.

-In a perfect world refs like Dowd wouldn’t have split seconds to make calls and have to use tired “unspoken rules” of whether they player got ball first which isn’t actually a rule to keep the old guard happy there’s still some rough play in the game.

-I do believe Dowd is a ref that responds to the energy of the game as he didn’t “pile on” a few times int he first half when he could have booked Barton on Arshavin’s tackle. or how he keep the game going in the Sunderland match. I do think he’s a poor ref, but that Arsenal suffering for it isn’t a conspiracy. I saw bad reffing int he Man U game as well.

-Arsenal have given up 50% of their goals against on set pieces….FIFTY. So if Barton and NUFC were trying to draw fouls, can you blame them? Clearly as shown Saturday this is the Gunners Achilles Heel.

-Put some blame on Wenger. He waited far too long and wasted a sub before parking the bus which any team would have done going a man down with half a game to go and a 4 goal lead. But the arrogance and need to play “beautifully” bit us in the arse.

The whole game was bad and there’s lots of blame to go around. I see people read that Arsenal shouldn’t have let the lead go (even thought hey did it a man down with penalty shots) but NUFC shouldn’t have got run over like they did midweek or for the first half. And yes Dowd is shitte.

But guess what? Arsenal are still in the hunt, the world moves on. It’ snot the end of the world. It wasn’t even the worst thing to happen to Arsenal Saturday. Djurou’s injury is. Wenger was arrogant and didn’t spend this transfer and it could very well cost the Gunners their Champion’s, FA and Premiership chances (I think they will still win the Carling).

30. Tore says:

So this was someone’s idea of a joke to start this rumour off? and now running scared because it got out of control.

31. Tore says:

The referee should be investigated though, there is no dispute about that.

32. kaoskev says:

hahahaha You Arsenal fans are funny!

Bartons takle was fair.. hard.. but fair..
    The only thing you can whinge about is newcastles 2nd pen.. which was never a pen.. HOWEVER it did make up for the goal scored that was flagged offside incorrectly..

Fair result! Gunners are fools .. just admit you where outplayed 2nd half

33. tooneye says:

How pathetic but no surprise gooners always blame every one else. This story is up there with 9/11 lol. So lame that gooner fans cant admit that their team, which is not the best in the country were as rubbish in the second half as NUFC were in the first half! Perhaps they believe they have the right to just win and all those who they play should just capitulate before them. Dont forget we beat you in london! or maybe that was a conspiracy too. Sad gits.

• Phenoum says:

“This story is up there with 9/11 lol.”

What the FU*K are you trying to say? You’re a low-life with no sense of reality or morals. The only “sad gits” in these part is anyone who has to actually come in contact with you in real life.

34. Kat says:

What pisses me off the most? You guys already pointed out about Nolan head locking Szcezny, but whats even worse was that there was a linesman 2 feet away and Szcezny was the one who got the yellow card!

35. tinga says:

the moment Arsenal had a three goal lead the referee started showing biases in his calls. Thats the reasons the penalties look even more suspicious.

Referees should not allow their emotions and empathy affect how they manage a game.

• Crispin says:

The refs do this to United week in week out but nobody questions them, bcoz once United lose that all that matters to you ppl but the moment it doesn’t go in y’all favor you call foul.

One Love One United!

36. Crispin says:

This is one of the most pathetic things to happen

37. Bobby says:

No one has mentioned that Dowd allowed the first half to go 49 minutes when the fourth put up a sign for two. Never seen that before.

I dont know about match fixing, but over the years as a football follower i have never seen such influence by a ref on a match. It was an arsenal kick off, szeny had every rite to the ball. Why was he carded? And why was nolan not red carded for assaulting a player just as diaby did.

I would love a public ‘please explain’ about that incidenr.

38. Joel Bick says:

As you’ve seen here, we’ve updated the story. French TV, and whatever source they used for this “story,” should be immediately investigated. Starting rumors that players are being investigated for match fixing is beyond irresponsible.

39. jay bee says:

TOTAL UTTER BULLS**T WHAT ABOUT OUR OFFSIDE GOAL NEWCASTLE SHOULD HAVE WON 5-4 SOME SAD BASTARD ARSENAL FAN PROBABLY STARTED THIS SH**E

40. Alan says:

Instead of blaming refs and officials, why don’t you try looking at your own players, 4-0 up and flying, red card was a definite, he raised his hands at two players and rightly had to go, penalty decisions although soft, first was from a tackle which tripped best, tackle didn’t have to be made, second penalty had Williamson sandwiched between two players in which one player made no attempt to play the ball and had hands on Williamson, we also had a goal ruled out for nothing, arsenal players fell apart second half and were lucky to come away with a point, stop being bitter and get behind your team like we did, then your played may actually play and fight for you rather than throwing it away when there up against it.

41. cy says:

In my opinion, this article should never have been posted. There was little to no evidence that something was really going on.

Especially when you start throwing around a players name and even post a picture of the referee.

42. Dave C says:

It’s pretty obvious that this wasn’t a result of match-fixing. If you were a match-fixer, you wouldn’t draw attention to yourself by engineering such an unlikely outcome (a 4-4-4 draw after being 4-0 down at 60 mins).

If I remember rightly, the whole thing about the other betting/fixing scandals in European football was that the fixers ensured that “the expected outcome” happened, rather than some ludicrous unexpected outcome.

e.g. you would put money on Man Utd to beat Wigan or West Brom. Sure the odds would not be generous, but if you fix the game to remove any risk, you can afford to bet huge amounts to generate a good return (even though it’s a small return in proportional terms).

43. Tinga says:

GOONERS…SPEAK!!! I won’t go as far as to say it was match fixing, but it was very obvious that the referee wanted to help the losing team.

How can you call a penalty for a defender bracing on the back of a player and trying to toe poke the ball away, but not give a foul to another player who completely took away the legs of another player from behind (on two occassions) and in the most reckless of manner?

Its the accumulation of those very soft call and non-calls that make people (rightfully) question the integrity of the referee.

I also blame the referee for Diaby’s red card. If you allow one team to tackle in reckless manners and they go unpunished, then you will find that players will react, especially if they have been on the wrong end of tackles and they felt a tackle could have caused damage.

In the end it did no damage to Arsenal’s title challenge. And Saturday’s events made it clearer that they will win the League, given Man U dropped points and will potentiallly drop more than Arsenal.

44. NotTheNoob says:

Speaking to The Telegraph, a spokeswoman for Interpol has denied that there is an investigation.

45. rafi says:

some people consider this game a classic. unfortunatley it wasnt even half that, due to the ref interferring at one team’s expense. last year we witnessed arsenal/ liverpool 4-4) and liverpool chelsea, and those were real classics. only players deciding the outcome! instead I see this game exactly how I saw last year’s chelsea barca(stamford bridge game) in which all decisions went barca’s way as if ref had a result in mind. to call such games anything other than scars on the game of football is a travesty to realism. neutral football supporters and arsenal were robbed at newcastle, just like chelsea last year.

46. lorne greene says:

The Man United loss is more of a concern than this game which wasnt a classic… it had the comeback but classic? No.

Still, I think you people have missed the obvious story here: english players cheat as much as foreigners. And its not even the dying puke Gerrard this time around.

Barton went down like he was shot by a sniper when he got,..maybe… nudged by Rosicky which gave the FK which led to Tiotes amazing goal.
    Watch it again. The whiplash effect he does is over the top even had he been hit by Vidic and not the petite Rosicky.
    As a bonus, we have another english good ol boy, Scholes, try a two handed hand of god for which he got carded.
    How much do you think he would have argued against himself had the refs not seen the two handed goal he scored?
    He tried to cheat as much as Henry did: the intent was the same, that he was caught takes nothing away from the attempt to cheat.

Of course, theyre english and those actions like Gerrard phantom fouls/dives are always forgiven-explained or as here, just avoided all together.

That Tiote goal was the direct result of a dive by Barton, it takes nothing away from the majesty of the goal but overlooking this dive ESPECIALLY coming from a player who many will claim ‘doesnt play’ this way is BS.

47. Tacklr says:

If the match wasn’t fixed for a 4-4 draw, why did he disallow a valid New Castle goal. If it was a poor refereeing, how come he saw a half-inch offside van Persie?