Premier League Transfer Deadline: Who Do You Want Your Club to Buy Today?
The January transfer window closes tonight in the Premier League at 11pm UK time (6pm ET, 3pm PT). Whether there’ll be a flurry of activity on the final day, we’ll find out today as well as whether Fernando Torres will be moving from Liverpool to Chelsea or not. If that happens, expect a domino of subsequent transfer signings and players being sold to follow.
But who do you want your club to buy today, on transfer deadline day? Realistically, speaking, that is. We all would love to have Lionel Messi on our team after all. Post your suggestions of who your club should buy in the comments section below.
And keep on checking back here for the latest analysis/news.
- Liverpool’s Paul Konchesky has joined Nottingham Forest on loan.
- Aston Villa remain confident that Borussia Monchengladbach midfielder Michael Bradley will today become their fourth signing of the January transfer.
- Birmingham are confident of completing the loan signing of striker Obafemi Martins before the transfer window closes tonight.
- Bolton are believed to be closing in on the signing of Chelsea forward Daniel Sturridge on loan.
- Sunderland announce the departure of centre-back Paulo da Silva to Real Zaragoza for an undisclosed fee.
- Liverpool’s Fernando Torres left Melwood this morning by helicopter presumably to Chelsea to finalize the deal.
- Wolves have signed former Bristol City goalkeeper Adriano Basso on a short-term contract until the end of the season.
- Stoke City’s Tuncay is undergoing a medical with Wolfsburg.
- Liverpool have met Newcastle United’s staggering £35m asking price for Andy Carroll
- Andy Reid has joined Blackpool from Sunderland.
- Stephen Ireland has failed his medical at Newcastle so he’s going back to Aston Villa.
- Ian Holloway says Blackpool are refusing to take Liverpool‘s phone calls over Charlie Adam.
- 11:26am ET: Newcastle’s Andy Carroll is travelling to the North West to discuss a move to Liverpool.
- 11:29am ET: Rumors are circulating that Charlie Adam is undergoing a medical at Manchester United.
- 11:42am ET: Sky are reporting that Newcastle has rejected the second, improved, bid for Andy Carroll.
- 11:48am ET: Birmingham sign Obafemi Martins on loan for the rest of the season.
- 12:26pm ET: Tuncay has completed his move from Stoke to Bundesliga outfit Wolfsburg.
- 12:30pm ET: Andy Carroll has handed in a written transfer request to Newcastle, which has been accepted by the club. Carroll is on his way to Liverpool to sign personal terms.
- 12:36pm ET: Oh gosh, now Sky Sports News is reporting that Blackpool have accepted a bid from Liverpool for Charlie Adam. I’ll believe it when I see it.
- 12:43pm ET: More confirmation that Charlie Adam is on his way to Liverpool from Blackpool for roughly £14 million. Liverpool on verge of having Adam and Carroll combined with Suarez in exchange for Torres, who looks likely to move to Chelsea. A 3-for-1 deal that I discussed last week (although I thought Liverpool would nab Forlan instead of Carroll, but Carroll is young and has more promise for the rest of his career).
- 12:46pm ET: Liverpool’s Fernando Torres has passed his medical at Chelsea. The deal is getting closer to being signed.
- 12:59pm ET: The deal for David Luiz is not dead and Chelsea are still hopeful of getting him for about £25m.
- 1:20pm ET: Sky are saying they understand Manchester United have matched Liverpool’s bid for Blackpool’s Charlie Adam.
- 1:22pm ET: Atletico Madrid are understood to have rejected Tottenham‘s last-minute offer for striker Diego Forlan.
- 1:49pm ET: Blackburn have signed Ruben Rochina from Barcelona on a four-year deal.
- 2:29pm ET: Michael Bradley signs for Aston Villa on loan.
- 2:34pm ET: James Beattie has signed for Blackpool from Rangers.
- 2:35pm ET: David Luiz has agreed an £18 million switch to Chelsea.
- 2:40pm ET: Manchester City have rejected a shock enquiry from Liverpool for Micah Richards.
- 2:54pm ET: Stephen Ireland transfer from Aston Villa to Newcastle may be back on now; he’s reportedly passed his second chance at medical.
- 2:57pm ET: Several British newspapers are reporting that the transfer fee paid by Chelsea for Fernando Torres is £50 million. Gulp!
- 3:03pm ET: Stephen Ireland has moved from Aston Villa to Newcastle United.
- 3:23pm ET: Fulham’s Eddie Johnson is joining Preston on loan until the end of the season.
- 3:26pm ET: Blackburn have signed Argentine midfielder Mauro Formica.
- 3:32pm ET: Blackburn’s El Hajdi Diouf is having a medical at Rangers.
- 3:33pm ET: Benfica is now stalling over the David Luiz deal to Chelsea.
- 3:39pm ET: Sky Sports confirms that Chelsea’s Daniel Sturridge has joined Bolton on loan.
- 3:43pm ET: Stoke City’s Eidur Gudjohnsen has agreed terms agreed with Fulham and is undergoing a medical.
- 3:49pm ET: Tottenham made an offer for Phil Neville earlier today which was rejected by Everton.
- 3:53pm ET: Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp says that the £140,000 per week wage demands by Diego Forlan were too high.
- 4:08pm ET: The reported fee for Benfica’s David Luiz is now £21 million plus Chelsea player Nemanja Matic thrown in as part of deal.
- 5:35pm ET: Newcastle, Bolton, West Ham, Everton and Portsmouth all had loan bids for Man City’s Shaun Wright-Phillips turned down today.
- 6:47pm ET: Tottenham tried a last dash transfer bid to sign Charlie Adam from Blackpool, but the deal fell through.
- 6:52pm ET: Wigan turn down £10m bid for Charles N’Zogbia.
- 6:53pm ET: Window is closed. I’m knackered and calling it a day.