WED, 3PM ET
STO
LEI
SAT, 10AM ET
SUN
TOT

Richard Keys Interview: Sky Sports Presenter Tells His Side Of The Controversy

richard keys talksport Richard Keys Interview: Sky Sports Presenter Tells His Side Of The Controversy

Photograph: TalkSport

Sky Sports presenter Richard Keys conducted an interview on live radio Wednesday to say sorry and to share his side of the story regarding the controversy that erupted Saturday and continues to this day regarding comments he made about female assistant referee Sian Massey and West Ham United vice-chairwoman Karren Brady.

In the 53 minute interview with TalkSport (available above), Keys said that he didn’t believe the comments he made about Massey and that it was banter instead. “Please accept my apology in the manner that it was offered,” said Keys, as the high-profile Sky Sports presenter groveled over and over again. “I’m here to make a statement… to say sorry.”

Whether or not his public apology is enough to stop his job at Sky Sports, we’ll have to wait and see. But at least he’s going on the offensive by making sure that everyone knows he’s sorry about what happened.

Some of his comments during his interview included:

“We were wrong. It was wrong. It shouldn’t have happened, but there are some dark forces at work here.”

“It’s a possibility, or a probability, that I may go [from Sky Sports].  And I have a decision to make about whether I want to carry on without Andy, who has rewritten the book on sports broadcasting in this country.”

“I was very upset when the comments were brought to my attention, and it was my intention to apologise on Monday night when I was back on air for the Bolton v Chelsea game. Sadly I was unable to do so as I was suspended from the show by Sky Sports and have now been sacked. Football is my life and I am devastated by losing the job that I love.”

“With success comes envy. The clips you have seen are fairly selective. They have targeted two individuals.”

“I made an official apology to Sian on behalf of Andy and myself. This was on Sunday afternoon – not on Monday at 5pm as was later reported. Sian and I enjoyed some banter, and we left on very good terms. I expressed my disappointment that Andy and I, in misguidedly having a little fun, got it wrong. It was wrong.”

What’s your opinion about the Keys interview? Share your feedback in the comments section below.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Richard Keys Interview: Sky Sports Presenter Tells His Side Of The Controversy

1. Mark says:

Keys can bleat all he wants about it only being banter. That’s a lame defence. Listen to what was said between him and Andy Gray, and it’s obvious they believed every word they said. Especially when Keys talks about Karen Brady. His tone is one of hatred.

Plus both Keys and Gray have previous form on making ill judged comments when they’re not in front of the cameras. I just read an article on The Guardian’s website where they talk to two current female Sky Sports employees and one former employee. They were interviewed separately and each one said that Keys and Gray are hated by the crews at Sky Sports and also that they bully people.

At the end of the day, they’ve both been found out. They clearly thought that after being part of football coverage for 29 years, they could say and do as they pleased. I have no sympathy for either man.

• Dom says:

Mark my friend are something of a twerp. It was everyday “mans banter” heard a million times a day,or not, all over the UK. These guys were set up, end of. We all say or sometimes do things we should not. Its political correctness used as a tool to remove them from their positions. The reasons they were setup is they were not liked and had no friends at Sky, quite obviously. “Let he without sin cast the first stone”, get off of your soap box Mark. You sound like some sort of Local Authority, job for life, do gooder. Either that or you are some sort of school teacher type. Gray and Keys are actually very good at what they do, but thats probably the biggest part of the problem here, not liked but very good at what they do. God help the day when we have a woman picking the bones out of offside decisions after live Sky Premier League games. Im sure an idiot like yourself would be quite comfortable with that though.

2. sucka99 says:

I have it on good authority that a certain Jedi-turned-Darth had something to do with the whole affair. No more, I can say.

3. Mark says:

@Dom

By all means, disagree with me, but don’t insult me. You clearly cannot argue your point without showing your level of intelligence, which is clearly minuscule.

• Dom says:

Mark,

Get into the real world, don’t be so sensitive.
      Those women and crew did not stand up to the bullies, they used the system against them as they did not have the guile or gumption to front them out face to face. Its called backstabbing. The route they took also took away Gray/Keys right to privacy, an infringement of the law in some way I’m sure.
      Also my level of intelligence is obviously far superior to your own as you seem to live in a world of ideals rather than reality. I am now pretty sure you are a primary school teacher and probably a union rep to boot.

Did you vote for Labour in the election? I bet you did.

• Dom says:

Its all gone quiet with you. Are you marking your class work books, on a teacher training day or meeting with the union rep to get even more holidays?

4. john blount says:

He should stop talking he just cannot see what this is and has come out not because of Dark Forces but more likely that those around both him and Andy have had to put up with these dinosaurs because they thought they could get away with it.
    No longer its out and has nothing to do with phone tapping , Darth Vader or anything else and for him to say that nobody would be working in tv if off air recordings were released show how he still does not understand , it those sort of people that are fed up with the likes of him who are a minority.
    His crawling here does him no good whatsoever just shows him for the deluded old fashioned creep that he is it was all said with hate and Im sure there much more recorded and non recorded hate still to come out

5. robert says:

Funny that Dom is defending the “good-ol-boys” with the same tactic they use: judging entire groups of people based on arbitrary qualities.

Stellar rhetoric.

• Dom says:

Robert,

Not really defending them. What they did is seen and heard everyday. My point is why was it not a problem for the other 19 years and 364 days?
      Im also exposing that these women who want to be treated equally need to step up to the plate and not be bullied. Football, like it or not, is a mans world, so play by mans rules. They were set up for a fall, probably a Sky makeover for the next twenty years. As I have said previously, I hope this does not lead to woman picking the bones out of offsides and drama points after Premier League matches. That would PC gone too far. Sexist comment or not, I know I am right.

6. I cannot abide the pair of them. Keys has really put his big gob into it slagging Louise Glass, shame on him…………… i hope she sues him for it. Ha ha!