SAT, 7:45AM ET
SAT, 10AM ET
WBA
EVE

Premier League Saturday, Gameweek 24: Open Thread

wolves molineux Premier League Saturday, Gameweek 24: Open Thread

Photo by lism

I can’t remember the last time I had a chance to watch Liverpool play in the early Saturday kick-off, so it’ll be a treat to see them play in the early match against a Wolverhampton Wanderers side who are cruising after they recent victories against Chelsea and Liverpool. To me, this will be a true test of where Liverpool stands right now. Do they deserve to be higher in the table, or are they playing on a level of a Wolves who are second bottom in the table. And can Kenny Dalglish get his first win for Liverpool or is Mick McCarthy able to do the double over the Reds?

It’s the first of several matches on Saturday. Newcastle United against Tottenham should be an entertaining affair. Spurs seem to have trouble on the road so I wouldn’t be surprised if Alan Pardew’s side can continue their good form by picking up a home win here.

In the other matches, many are predicting that Arsenal are going to score a bevvy of goals against Wigan but the one thing about Wigan is that you should never count them out. I don’t think Wigan will win the match, but they’ll give Arsenal a run for their money.

Blackpool against Sunderland should be a treat to watch especially to see how Sunderland cope without Darren Bent, and to see if Blackpool will wilt under the pressure after clubs have been moving in for Charlie Adam.

Fulham against Stoke has a nil-nil draw written all over it. Everton against West Ham United will be a good test to see whether the Hammers have any life left in them. And Manchester United should cruise to a home victory against Birmingham City.

In the last but most important match of the day, high-flying Manchester City travel to Villa Park for a match that will feature the debut of Darren Bent in claret and blue. Houllier is banking a lot of his chips on the England international to bang the ball into the back of the net, and all eyes will be on him to see if he can prove in quick measure that he’s worth the millions that Randy Lerner spent on him. It’ll also be interesting to see who the starting eleven will be for City and whether Edin Dzeko will get the nod to partner Carlos Tevez up front. I certainly hope so since I can’t remember the last time I was so excited about a new player in the Premier League as I’ve been about Dzeko.

You know the drill. Before, during and after the matches today, feel free to post your questions, rants and observations in the comments section below. Let’s hope it’s another great day in the Premier League.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

89 Responses to Premier League Saturday, Gameweek 24: Open Thread

1. The Gaffer says:

Man, ESPN2 took their sweet time exiting the Australian Open tennis coverage before handing it over to Ian Darke for the Wolves match. It almost felt like watching a Fox Soccer Channel broadcast where you get dumped into the lineups right before kick-off with little to no build-up.

• Red20 says:

this was bugging me as well. I guess once they finally turned it over there was still another five mins til kickoff so it ended up fine, but it definitely felt like FSC.

• dominjon says:

They had it on ESPN CLassics, which I happened to get as part of the $5 package which includes FSC. The tennis commentators mentioned it but I am not sure if they bothered putting anything on screen. I was upset I was going to have to watch the match in non HD, but they switched it back to ESPN2 just as the game started so I only had to watch the pre-show in non HD.

2. The Gaffer says:

Good start by Wolves. It’s a classic old school English football style today by Mick McCarthy’s side. Lots of pressure, lots of route one football. Liverpool are going to get a lot of bumps and bruises today and it’ll be fascinating to see if Wolves can keep the Reds off their game.

• Red20 says:

Ugly ugly first 20 mins, but much more quality from Liverpool after that. Happy to see Poulsen with the great pass releasing Meireles for the goal.

3. Red20 says:

Goal of the year candidate!

• eplnfl says:

It was a pretty picture. This is my first extended view of Liverpool since the change at the top and they look much more at ease and more flowing in their style.

4. The Gaffer says:

Looking forward to seeing Andy Hamill make his appearance for Wolves. The former Barnsley player was the subject of repeated offers from my club Swansea City to pick him up but we were never able to get him. He’s highly rated.

Also looking forward to seeing Jonjo Shelvey playing again. I thought he had a great game against Everton with some beautiful through balls late in that match.

5. rich says:

Espn had the usual prematch buildup over on espn classic until the tennis was over

6. Drew M. says:

Anyone else having problems logging in to foxsoccer.tv?

• Fred Trebay says:

Was able to login but not able to watch any videos. Keeps giving the same error – “Oops! Sorry, something went wrong We couldn’t find the page you were looking for.”

• Squink says:

Yep. Saw the first half of Newcastle Tottenham and then got hosed with the same page you mentioned in the second half. Tried on 2 dif. computers with high speed broadband…something on their end went down. Thinking about cancelling until they get it together.

7. Casey says:

It appears to be down….just keep getting error messages.

8. Fred Trebay says:

Looks like Foxsoccer.tv is having some problems. Unable to watch any games today? Is there a customer service number? Are others experiencing issues?

• Patrick says:

I can’t get any games on foxsoccer.tv either. I thought maybe my subscription was out, but I checked and that’s not it. I’m in Texas and I have U-Verse. Any body think that might be the problem? A comcast/netflix type thing?

9. Kevin says:

foxsoccer.tv isn’t working for me, either.

10. Crest says:

Any updates on foxsoccer.tv?

11. jackhammer says:

same here RE: foxsoccer.tv. if anyone has a help # to call i’d be very grateful.

• The Gaffer says:

I just sent an e-mail to customer support at FoxSoccer.tv as well as an e-mail to the head of FoxSoccer.tv. Let’s hope they can fix it soon. The e-mail address for customer support is customerservices@performgroup.com

The same issue is happening on the FoxSoccer iPhone app too, so I’m going to watch Man United against Birmingham on Fox Soccer Channel until the issue is remedied.

12. Casey says:

The replays are working it’s just the live matches that aren’t working….like that’s any consolation.

13. Marc says:

I watched the Derby v Forrest match this moring. Now I can’t view anything either.

14. VillaPark says:

Site is down across the board. I tried to send an email to customer service and I got the same error message as I did when trying to access a live game. Brutal.

15. Brad says:

Glad FSC make it easy for us to justify spending $15 a month.

16. Gareth van der King says:

WTF
    no fox soccer tv today
    whats the problem, Gafer?

17. Chris says:

Jerks. Gosh !.

18. Gareth van der King says:

disgraceful
    surely a free month is in order

19. Cluedweasel says:

To think, I get up at 6:30am for this. Sadly, no alternatives here as we ditched cable due to them being a bunch of thieving so-and-sos.

20. SantaClaus says:

Having the same problem with foxsoccer.tv as everyone else. Let’s hope they fix it asap or they should give us some type of credit.

21. Chris says:

The Fox Soccer twitter account says they are aware of the problem and they are working on it. So I guess i will follow the Fulham game through twitter.

22. The Gaffer says:

Ok, it’s now working for me now. Missed first 20 minutes.

Here are the games:

Arsenal v Wigan:

Newcastle v Spurs:

The other Premier League matches are not working yet; looks like they’re working on it.

23. Chris says:

I still cant even sign in lol.

24. Chris says:

Nice to see Spector score for West Ham.

25. SantaClaus says:

Gaffer, I’m still getting the same message: “Oops! Sorry, something went wrong
    We couldn’t find the page you were looking for.”

Hope they fix it soon as I’d like to watch the Newcastle vs Spurs match.

26. Chris says:

I missed a Fulham goal. I think im going to throw my computer away now.

27. Dave says:

Looking forward to Saturday morning all week and now this! Ugh!

28. VillaPark says:

Can’t believe I’ve missed 7 goals and 40+ minutes of action from six games. We better be getting money back or a credit for this.

29. Red20 says:

Dempsey and Spector! American dominance

Al Habsi right now reminds me of Given against Liverpool two yrs ago. 5-0 but still man of the match. Arsenal is gonna run away with this soon, but it could already be 4-5 nil at least.

30. The Gaffer says:

UPDATE: Looks like the following streams on the FoxSoccer iPhone App are working. If you have a FoxSoccer.tv account, download the FoxSoccer iPhone App for free and log in using your same username/password to access:

Arsenal v Wigan,
    Newcastle v Spurs,
    Fulham v Stoke.

Blackpool v Sunderland and Everton v West Ham is not coming up for me yet.

I’m still experiencing the same issues as the rest of you with FoxSoccer.tv. The live games there aren’t working for me at all, but they’re working on fixing it asap.

31. SeminoleGunner says:

Please buy the rights soon ESPN!

Kids in Asia running streams on their laptops are more reliable than FOX.

32. VillaPark says:

How much of a killer is one event like this to a business like Fox Soccer TV? This is the one time thing that probably causes a lot of people to go in a different direction. I have loved the service, but you can’t charge their prices and then have this happen.

• Red20 says:

I’d have to imagine it’s pretty bad right? I mean Facebook refuses to go down for more than a minute because they know they lose users when it happens and that’s free. For the prices of fs.tv…it has to be pretty damaging.

• Cluedweasel says:

Problem is, what are the alternatives? To get FSC on cable or satellite is expensive too. ESPN3 only has one game on a Saturday. This weekend it was a 5:00am kick off for folks on the west coast.

33. Chris says:

Thats funny SeminoleGunner. lol.

34. Simon says:

I’ve been trying to sign up all morning – they can’t find a way to take my money.

35. SantaClaus says:

They are aware of the problem as I got this reply:

“Thank you for contacting us,

We are currently experiencing technical issues. We are working on the problem at this time and aim to have this resolved as soon as possible.

We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards

Web Support “

36. Carolyn says:

Gaffer, Can one download the iPhone app onto a computer and run it on a computer? I don’t have an iPhone.

37. Cluedweasel says:

Look on the bright side. They’ll probably get it working in time for Scunthorpe vs. Burnley. Oh joy. :)

• SeminoleGunner says:

I’m trying to keep positive too.

Maybe it’s better that I’m not going to actually see the inevitable Arsenal collapse in the final 10 minutes?

38. Simon says:

Steady Cluedweasel – that’s the highlight of my day!

You’ll see more passing than you did in that garbage Wolves v Liverpool match.

Come on you Clarets!

39. Carolyn says:

Thanks gaffer. Looks like I’m not going to get to see anything on foxsoccer.tv this morning. Too bad.

40. Chris says:

jesus, I already know the score of the Fulham game there is no sense in me trying to watch the game now in the early part of the second half.

Dempsey puts Fulham up 2-0 with 2 goals of his own

41. DGS says:

I figured something was up when I saw 66 replies to this thread before clicking on it…

Man United is terrorizing Birmingham. Even Rooney has made a couple of nice passes to set up goals…even if he did miss a point-blank header shortly after half.

Berbatov still can’t stop scoring.

42. Joe says:

Steven Pienaar is a joke. Slower than Bale, weaker than Bale. I hope Bale isn’t injured too long, cause this is nonsense.

• dominjon says:

I doubt anyone was of the opinion he was as good as Bale. If they were they were deluded Everton fans. He a good squad option and gives Spurs something else, he certainly wouldn’t get in above Bale, or Lennon, or Van Der Vaart or Modric all things considered, but if you are trying to compete in europe and the league you aren’t going to be able to play your strongest side every game so someone like Pienaar should still get plenty of playing time.
      That said, he has been off-form all season for Everton.

• The Gaffer says:

Pienaar is a totally different type of player. He’s more versatile whereby he can play on either wing or in the centre of midfield as well as a defensive midfielder, if needed. Bale is in a different universe while occupying the same position today as Pienaar.

I agree with Dominjon. Pienaar looked off form today, but I’m sure Redknapp will get him firing on all cylinders soon.

43. The Gaffer says:

Watching the second half of Newcastle v Spurs on the FoxSoccer iPhone App. It’s a great match so far.

44. Red20 says:

Beckham is no longer at the Emirates? I’m surprised they didn’t just cut away from the coverage to like Football Superstar or something. I mean, if he’s not there what will they show?

45. DGS says:

18 minutes in and Bent is on the board for AVFC.

46. VillaPark says:

Gaffer, any word on if FoxSoccertv will be doing and crediting to user accounts for their screwup on Saturday. A Saturday without games seems like a pretty hefty technical difficulty to expect people to keep paying 15/month for. I have e-mailed but my only response was that “they are aware of the technical difficulties”

47. The Gaffer says:

From what I understand, FoxSoccer.tv has given customers a free week added on to their subscription for the issues that were encountered last Saturday.

48. The Gaffer says:

From FoxSoccer.tv…

“If you were affected, please e-mail FoxSoccerSupport@performgroup.com us in the next 5 days and a credit will be issued.”

• 3feetoffun says:

Their email confused me. It said do nothing and the credit will be added automatically. At the end though it said if you know anyone affected have them email customer support to get the credit.

49. Diriye says:

“Oops! Sorry, something went wrong
    We couldn’t find the page you were looking for.”

Anyone have had issues accessing the site after the first 30 minutes of Bayer vs Inter match, not even a replay.