MON, 3PM ET
AJA
TUES, 2:45PM ET
SCH
SPC

New Year's Week Viewing Guide Gameweeks 21 & 22

New Year's Week Viewing Guide Gameweeks 21 & 22

Happy New Year to all EPL lovers.  I’ve written this weekly column from some interesting spots.  This time from soccer-mad Mexico with an extremely dodgy internet connection.  So no time for text per game, just the facts and the ratings.  ESPN takes its outstanding production to the Hawthorns this week to follow United.  On New Year’s Day Fox opts for the live City match against Blackpool and delays the London derby between Spurs and Fulham.  Wednesday night will hopefully be a great match at the Emirates.  Enjoy!

****: Must-see.  Cancel all other activities.  Do not even DVR as even in America you might hear the score!
***: Strong match; worth watching live; DVR a must if you can’t see live
**: Flip through quickly to see the goals, red cards, injuries, and perhaps watch the last 5 minutes + injury time if close
*:    Only if you’re a die-hard

Matches shown in chronological order:

Saturday, January 1, 2011 (all times EST)

*** West Brom v Man Utd, 7:45 am, ESPN2/ESPND & espn3.com

** Wolverhampton v Chelsea, 2:45 pm, FSC/FD
** Newcastle v West Ham, 2:45 pm, foxsoccer.tv & 5 pm (delayed) FSC/FD
** Aston Villa v Sunderland, 2:45 pm, espn3.com
** Blackburn v Liverpool, 3 pm, FS+ & foxsoccer.tv
** Bolton v Wigan, 3 pm, espn3.com
*** Everton v Tottenham, 3 pm, espn3.com

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to New Year's Week Viewing Guide Gameweeks 21 & 22

1. JC says:

It’s going to be difficult to watch more than one match on Wednesday because ESPN provides live scores of other games. I suppose the Arsenal-Man City game could be saved until last, but there’s a chance Fox will show the score during one of its breaks, and I’m not willing to take that risk, seeing as how it’s the best match of the day.

2. Steven says:

This week, there are a total of 3 nationally broadcast NFL games. I’ll be able to watch 6 Prem. League matches this weekend if I so choose. Being able to watch most of my favorite club’s matches on TV is just fantastic. If you aren’t a fan of the local/regional NFL team, you’re barely going to see your team on TV. Great job by Fox and ESPN to bring as many matches as possible to TV.

3. dominjon says:

What odds that Hodgson is gone if Bolton win, and the way they play they have every chance of beating Liverpool.

4. Agreed. It’s an embarrassment of riches being an EPL fan in the US. We can complain, bitch and moan about (and too infrequently praise) the coverage, but we can see nearly any game we want to. Compare this to the average NFL fan, who can’t see his team if the game isn’t sold out, or only gets the “home town” team game on television when he’s out of town and trying to watch football….

5. Evan says:

The Arsenal vs. City game should be great. I’m predicting a City win for revenge. The last game wasn’t anything to go by. playing with 10 men for 85 minutes wasn’t a fair reflection of city.

6. Joe says:

Upon visiting the parents over the holiday, I got my first experience of watching an EPL game on an HDTV. I was astounded at how much better the experience is. I can only hope that like all “new” technologies, HD soon becomes normal and something that doesn’t cost so much extra.

7. Nickster says:

Crap. I hate that ESPN has most of the simultaneous games next Wed. Not only does ESPN play spoiler with the scores (sorry, I prefer outcomes mixed with a healthy dose of excitement and surprise), ESPN3 doesn’t seem to show replays very often.

And Tuesday sucks because you could avoid the ESPN spoiler ruining the outcome of the Fulham game by watching Man Utd first, but you risk ESPN3 not showing a replay of the Fulham game.

Call me a curmudgeon (and I know you will) but I am not as delighted as most about the plethora of games being shown next week when viewing options are so limited to actually see most of the games–unspoiled.

Unless you are able to enjoy a multi-game viewing session in the middle of your workday, while darting your eyes from screen to screen to keep up with simultaneous plays in all the games, you are pretty much screwed to take advantage of this broadcast EPL abundance.

8. Steven says:

To everyone complaining about bottom line scores: boo hoo That’s what has happened in sports. You should not only assume that will happen, but also expect it. It happens in the MLB, NFL, NHL, and NBA. Why would EPL fans expect anything different? As a person who is not able to watch more than one or two games per day, I’m glad that ESPN shows updated scores on the Bottom Line. I really dislike the complaining about the Bottom Line, because it is an expected part of today’s sporting experience.

• goalz says:

And you are a sheep being led to the slaughter. Hope you also enjoy every Brett Favre and Lebron James update, even if they are only to let you know that Favre took a shit instead of a piss and that Lebron didn’t understand what contraction meant when he said it because he learned it wrong on the Internet. Scrub.

Try one of the many online options to check scores. Use your phone. Let the rest of us enjoy the game day experience. Sheep.

• Jason says:

I will say this in regards to the bottom line. It’s only the norm in the States from my understanding. My other comment is the NFL, NBA,MLB and NHL aren’t shown on delay like many of the Prem matches. THat’s my only issue with the bottom line. If I’m watching a match live and have to wait to see my team on delay and I see the score that’s pretty annoying.

• Joe says:

“The ticker” is a way of life in American sports, but I think ESPN would be smart to listen to the fans here and adjust what they’re doing. Soccer is different from mainstream American sports in that games are short enough that people actually do want to watch them after they’ve been completed. I’ve never heard an NFL fan say they want to spend three and a half hours watching a game that has already happened.

ESPN didn’t get where they are by saying “boo hoo” to legitimate fan complaints. If they’re smart, they’ll listen to the customers and adjust their service to better serve them. It seems like it would immediately improve their ratings, as some people may not be tuning in to their games simply to avoid hearing about other scores.

9. Jason says:

My gripe with ESPN3 is that the replays are able to be viewed for just 2-3 days then it goes away. Only with EPL does that happen. You can go back and watch any Bundesliga or Serie A game throughout the entire season.