Powered by
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

How I Fell In Love With Tottenham Hotspur

white hart lane How I Fell In Love With Tottenham Hotspur

I started watching soccer just one year ago. I was flipping through the TVchannels one night, bored, when I got to channel 124, some obscure channel I had never heard of called Fox Soccer Channel (FSC). I watched some of the match that they were showing. In the beginning, I would watch the beginning of the Saturday 12:30pm ET match being shown on FSC while eating lunch and the last 20 minutes of whatever UEFA Champions League match was being shown after coming home from school on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. But I did not know whom to cheer for. It seemed like everyone who followed soccer here in the States rooted for one of the Big Four as they were known at the time. I followed the table, wanted Chelsea to win the league, Spurs to take top 4 and Hull City to fight off relegation due to the fact they had American international Jozy Altidore as their striker. However I did not fall passionately in love with any side.

At the start of this season, I fell in love with Tottenham Hotspur, every single one of their matches was exciting. Whether it be the 3-2 loss to Young Boys in the Champions League or the 4-0 victory in the return leg a week later, the 4-3 loss to Inter Milan, the 3-1 win two weeks later or the stunning comeback over Arsenal. Spurs never disappointed in the exciting business of the game.

Sunday, Spurs had me on the edge of my seat during the entire match. After their early goal by Roman Pavlyuchenko, the goal by Drogba devastated me. Gomes should have stopped it. However my heart started racing when Chelsea were awarded the penalty in stoppage time. I was thinking, what a horrible game, Spurs go up and blow it with a stupid penalty conceded late in the game. Drogba stepped up, took it, Gomes dove to his left. Save! I jumped up cheering, Spurs were able to rescue the point which they probably did not deserve. They never fail to disappoint when it comes to exciting football.

Looking forward I expect them to bolster their defense in January, they concede too frequently, and as the announcer on FSC read the names of injured centre backs Gallas, Kaboul, Ledley King and Woodgate, it reaffirmed to me how Spurs need to buy in the transfer window.

I do not expect them to challenge for the league, however I do expect them to make a great run in the Champions League, hopefully reaching the semi-finals since they are extremely hard to beat at White Hart Lane. A deep run in the FA Cup would be nice, but not imperative because it might cause fixture congestion late in the season. In future years I do expect them to challenge for the Premier League title however maintaining their top 4 status is imperative.

Spurs fans, please respond in the comments below on what you think about the squad and future aspirations.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

65 Responses to How I Fell In Love With Tottenham Hotspur

1. Ethan says:

I’m going to sound like a d*ck- but this has no reason to be posted.

2. Joe says:

My story is similar to yours. I only started seriously watching soccer during this year’s World Cup, and after seeing Tottenham play nail-biter after nail-biter, they are my favorite EPL team to watch as well. I still have a feeling that they will end up 5th and out of Champions League next year, but they’ve given a thrilling ride so far. I can’t wait to see them in CL Knockout stages in February.

• wylie says:

We will get 4th. Tottenham are on the rise. City are nothing without Tevez. They will fall.

• Joe says:

That would be great, but somehow I just think that Man City’s dour defensive style will see them getting points in most games they play, whereas Tottenham will really go for it and maybe drop some points along the way.

My experience watching the NBA has clouded my optimism. For almost a decade the Phoenix Suns were the most exciting team in basketball, but they would constantly lose to the far less exciting but more efficient San Antonio Spurs in the playoffs.

Hopefully THESE Spurs will prove me wrong!

3. che says:

good for u, not like other fake manu or rent boy whores.

4. Jay says:

Never a dull moment supporting and watching my beloved Spurs.
    It’ll be interesting to see the INS and OUTS in january for sure. We definitely need one more central defender for cover or a starter. Would love a Gary Cahill type or the man himself but that’s gonna cost big bucks. Expect to see robbie keane, David bentley and niko kranjcar make exits. Whether they’ll all be in January or summer remains to be seen but that’ll free up some high paid wage earners and bring in a few quid. Could it be a Scott Parker, Lass Diarra or Steven Pienar to come in as a replacement? Any one would be an improvment and good aquisition. Striker wise is also a possibility tho I don’t see that as too much of a priority anymore thanks to Rafa Van Der Vaarts startling start to life at the lane.
    Future years wise I fear all the hard work may be for nothing if (as expected) Harry takes the England job. Whoever the club have lined up to replace him has one helluva job to continue the momentum harry has gathered at Tottenham. I do hold a big doubt that when that day comes it will already be the beginning of the end for the fantastic surgence and competitiveness of the recent Tottenham Hotspurs! COYS!

5. Daniel Rodriguez says:

Awesome to read a story of how a fellow American became a tottenham hotspur fan. I became a fan in a sort of similar way by watching world cup 2002 and the story of Robbie Keane. My fanhood grew to be bigger than Keane himself and more of the club itself and here I am the patience ive had with the club is finally paying off. Champions League glory!!! Im from texas and haha like u everyone around me is a “big 4″ fan…mostly posers tho lol.

• Spencer says:

I’m from Texas too and all 6 of my roommates are fans of one of the big 4. I’m standing strong as the lone spurs fan though. Hang in there my Texas brotha and GO SPURS!!!!!!

• Dave S says:

I became a Spurs fan when they signed Keane too! The Germany/Ireland WC game hitched my free agent ride to him, then to Spurs when he signed there. I had never really watched English soccer, or really any soccer, before then. I’ve been hooked since.

6. hater ade says:

Starts watching soccer a year ago and now writes for a soccer blog? really?

• Northern Spur says:

seems he has a lot more to offer than you, my friend.

• The Gaffer says:

Hater, it’s a decent first-person story about how a football supporter fell in love with his club. He could have been supporting them for 10 years or 10 months, it doesn’t matter.

• Andrew Puopolo says:

Actually I read this blog on a daily basis and watch Soccer whenever I can, plus I play high school soccer. I am not a complete tard

• Lyle says:

Respect. Should have gotten the hots for Fulham though. Much funner side to love. Relegation is always just around the corner. Yet, you’ll always have Craven Cottage to go to, even if your down in the Blue Square Conference South division.

Harry Redknapp is a monster, by the way.

• alexandre says:

this post is utter crap… 10 months watching football means you are as clueless as my 10 years old cousin… and you wrote here.. my granma can do better than that…

• Andrew Puopolo says:

Also I neglected to mention I know most of their past history. How they are mostly a cup team, win mostly when the year ends in One, how they have only won two league titles, and how it is their first appearance in the Champions League Proper

• John L says:

I learned those things playing Fifa 11. :) As this is my first year as a premier league follower and a Tottenham supporter I enjoyed your article. The match vs Arsenal was the first time I have jumped out of my seat cheering in 5 years.

• Andrew Puopolo says:

I was on an airplane, I couldn’t jump out, however I jumped out when Gomes saved the penalty yesterday

• Andy says:

Oh, alexandre how wonderful it must be to be you. How long have you been following your favorite team? Whatever it is, I probably have about 30 plus years of following the Spurs over you, so I would politely suggest that maybe you let your granma post your next reply on your behalf as she will almost certainly make more sense than you do.

Keep it up Andrew, you have chosen to follow the fortunes of a team with more history behind them than just about any other.

• frank says:

Its amazing that people do things isnt it, i think youre surprised at your own inactivity

• Sir Guy says:

“hater ade” and “alexandre”—-Please write your own scintillating articles and send them to The Gaffer so he can post them. We await with bated breath.

Nice job, Andrew. Don’t bother responding to people whose maturity level you have surpassed…..write another article instead. ;-)

7. THFC4LIFE says:

great 2 hear your stories & its nice to hear Spurs are winning over new supporters via the way we play. It is in our history, in our make-up, to play exciting, entertaining football. Back in the late 18th century, when we were still just a bunch of schoolboys playing amateur football, we were known as “The Flower of the South” because of our stylish football. In the early 1950′s when we won our 1st League title we became famous for inventing the “push & run” style of football, a style that Arsenal are so praised for these days. In the 60′s, when we were the strongest team in English football next to Manchester United, we became renowned for our philosophy of playing entertaining football too. Our legendary captain of the time, Danny Blanchflower, famously said “Football is about glory. It is about doing things in style & with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom”. We were the original “Glory, glory” team. Manchester United, who have adopted the “Glory, glory” term for themselves only did so since the dawn of the Premier League in the 90′s and Arsenal, who take so much pride in their modern version of “push & run” football only adopted the style since Wenger arrived around 15 years ago, beforehand they were known as “Boring, Boring Arsenal” for their propensity of grinding out 1 nil wins. Don’t even get me started on Chelsea! I’ve supported Spurs all my life, growing up with the genius of Glenn Hoddle (if you are now a Spurs fan then just look him up on youtube, possibly the greatest footballer England ever produced & just beautiful to watch him play). Hodd is God, as we say. So bravo, well done for finding your team. All I can say is, by not just picking some team at random or because your mates support them but instead waiting to see which team excited you and appealed to you by watching them, you are a natural Spurs fan. We ourselves are well-known for our appreciation of good football – we like to see our teams win well & wo’t accept a manager who tries to play negatively. Enjoy your trip following the Spurs, it will no doubt shorten your life but it will be 1 hell of a ride! As for this season? I really think we can break that top 4 again. We are only 4 points off it right now & we have half our team to come back. We should be very strong in the 2nd half of this season & we still have Home games against the teams above us to play. If we pick up some wins over the xmas period, when the teams above us all have to ply each other &, therefore, should take points off each other, then we could be right in the mix. Chelsea are struggling, City still don’t convince me & especially ow Tevez wants to quit & Arsenal tend to drop away in the latter half of the season these days. That top 4 is everything, but I won’t be to gutted if we miss out this year as I genuinely believe that those top 4 places are no longer reserved for the traditional “big 4″ & we might miss out 1 year but could very easily get back in the next. I expect us to strengthen in January too. I don’t agree that we need a CB – Dawson just came back and was Man of the Match against Chelsea in his 1st game!! King & Kaboul should be back before the end of the month & we’ve already bought Khumalo from South Africa, who’ll join in January. It is a striker which we really need. Our strikers have just 6 League goals between them, in more than 40 games collectively , and Pav has scored 5 of them! That isn’t just not good enough, it is embarrassing. We desperately need Van der Vaart back ASAP and we need a proper, world class striker. We also need a proper holding midfielder as Palacios is all-action but he does not really hold Someone in the mold of Diarra at Madrid. We get that sorted and we could well be title contenders. As great as that would be, I would be OK with 5th, Happy with 4th, delighted with 3rd & anything more would just be incredible. Champion’s League? I’d like us to do well but it all depends on who we get. I hope we can get thru the next round but I’m not looking past the QF just now. FA Cup? I always want us to do well as Spurs have a wonderful history with the competition (we’ve won 8 times, behind only Arsenal & Manchester United. Liverpool only have 7 FA Cups & Chelsea 6). I do agree about congestion but I think we’ve got a strong enough squad to play some fringe players & do well, we certainly have a nice 3rd round draw against Charlton Athletic, so expect to see some youngsters & reserve players there). As I said, we should be getting some of our bigger players back from injury by then to & there’s no reason we cannot battle on all fronts.

• Joe says:

The strange thing about my discovery of my Spurs fan-ship was that while I was starting to love watching them week to week in August and September, whenever I saw Arsenal on TV I felt somehow disgusted. This seems normal, except for the fact that I had not read about their vicious rivalry yet.

Fate!

And I still feel guilty because last week I watched Barcelona vs. Rubin Kazan instead of Tottenham v. Twente.

8. alexandre says:

write article in 2020 not now you football noob

9. BFX says:

Cool read man. I’m a Malaysian spurs fan ever since i knew of the great Gazza and the same as Mr Rodriguez, my fandom has grown, from just player specific to passionately loving our club. It’s hard being a fan of any club apart from the big 4 where i’m from. None of my close friends are Spurs fans… But it’s great to see and hear of new genuine fans, example, my wife she is not a soccer/football fan period.. but since she began to sit down and shared my time watching our matches, she has slowly turned into a fan.. dare i say it, possibly even a bigger fan than me. To hear her humming the same melody that she heard the night before during our match vs Inter WHL while doing the dishes..( you know this one.. Taxi for Maicon but to be honest, i was so caught up in the match that i missed even hearing it ) really made my day. :)

10. David G says:

I love articles like these. Great Stuff. Don’t know why some people complaining about it (don’t read it)

I wrote the same thing a couple of weeks ago

11. trickybrkn says:

It is truly a sad day when nice people start following Spuds…

Thinking back to my time in London and my flatmate who would tell me that the Spurs where one signing away from winning the league… This was 1990/91 season. Spurs had finished 3rd the year before, and my team had finished 7th in the 2nd division. Halfway through the season Spurs where slumping in the league… West Ham faced Nottingham Forest and Spurs somebody else maybe Chelsea or Arsenal… I discovered my West Ham moment. They lost to Forrest. Who latter lost to Spurs in the final… Gazza was on that Spurs club, and I hated Gazza. And boy did I get abuse…

But the running joke in 1991 was that every Spurs fan was going to run out and buy a mock FA Cup to put on the mantle. And of course there was Phil Collins, showing up for the final, and Spurs asked his to ‘donate’ some money to keep the club afloat… Collins never showed up at a Spurs match again.

The reason I say its sad, is that you don’t get the history. And I’ll take it that you are young don’t have 20 years to look back on, but Spurs are a VERY provincial club, and the fan base is if nothing else, in my experience, over reaching. And I think it funny to hear that a Harry Redknapp team is exciting… the honeymoon period yes, after…. well I’ll let you find out. But Hey Steve Nash is a fan so is baby spice…

But, I wish you the best in your quest for a club.
    Hope your more Steve Nash then Phil Collins…

12. Evs1981 says:

I have to say this is probably the most genuine post I have read for a while, please ignore the infantile, ignorant haters and welcome to the club my fellow yiddo!!!

COYS!

13. Andy says:

Here’s a joke from the part of London that I come from: Why are they called the Hammers? Because they always get hammered. Ha ha ha.

Ok, it’s funnier in the pub after the game when West Ham have lost again.

14. MennoDaddy says:

Nice article. I chose to follow Spurs about three years ago after being invited to join a group of guys who watch Tivoed EPL matches weekly. I chose Spurs because they seemed the closest analogue to my beloved Pittsburgh Steelers — passionate fan base, proud history, usually juuuuust miss the Superbowl or the playoffs, and can give their fans a taste of ecstasy and agony, often in the same game!

Ignore the haters. These are usually the guys who think that you have to be born into fandom. Bollocks. I commend you for choosing an EPL team to follow, and I commend you as well for choosing Spurs. It’s quite a ride!

• Joe says:

Correct me if I’m wrong (I might be), but haven’t the Steelers won the most Super Bowls of anyone? Seems a little too successful to be analogous to Spurs, but I guess that’s why NFL is great. Even the most successful team can have a history of gut-wrenching agony.

• yeah says:

The Steelers are 6-1 in the Super Bowl. They’ve lost 7 AFC Championship games. And, the 14 AFC Championship games they’ve played in is more than anyone else. The comparison doesn’t really work. The Steelers are more like a team that wins the league all the time, and wins the CL only occasionally.

15. Niccolo says:

I don’t understand why so many people are complaining about this wonderful article. I personally really enjoy reading articles like these instead of the continuous and monotonous match reports etc.

Andrew, don’t let haters who are jealous affect you and your writing. I look forward to reading more of what you have to say regarding Spurs, especially considering that they’re my favorite team in the Premier League.

Keep up the great work!

16. mike says:

honestly, i don’t think you can truly fall in love with a club so quickly. the true love comes with watching your club year in year out and dealing with all of the extreme highs and lows that come with it. also, the things you have “learned” about spurs’ “history” are things that a quick wikipedia search would tell you.

that being said, you have to start somewhere i suppose, and the genuineness of this post must be appreciated. in ten years, i think you will feel the real love for spurs, and that will be a great feeling. at least you didn’t choose man united.

• trickybrkn says:

I totally agree… My first team was QPR, since I was living in the Bush, but that faded when I fell for the pure passion for West Ham… They weren’t even close to winning the league ever, but there was an optimism and a sense of doom all at the same time… When you sing ‘fortunes always hiding’ before every match, think about that, you sing a song to your club that includes a line “and like my dreams they fade and die”… I guess it takes a certain type of realist/sadist to follow such a club… but I had to be open to it.

Maybe the first team is the one, But maybe there is another…

17. Mission Man says:

Some of you snobs are unfreakinbelievable. Here’s a guy who just discovered real football, took his time in picking a team to follow, and then took the time to write a short post about his experience. Gaffer then chose to post the article. Yet, what do all of you do? Cry about how your gramma’s know more about football. It’s people like you that tend to make it rough for new American fans to get interested in the game — which is something every single one of you should be hoping for.

One other thing — Gaffer has posted the criteria that you need if you want an article posted here. How many of you that are griping about this piece have actually TRIED to write 750 coherent words so that YOUR article might get posted? None, I’ll bet.

• Joe says:

I think a lot of the haters are likely bitter Arsenal fans who had to watch their team get embarrassed today and then came on EPL talk to see not one but TWO glowing articles about their North London arch-nemesis. The perfect storm.

• John L says:

Couldn’t agree more. I am brand new to football but I want to learn more so I come to places like this. But then I read comments from people that seem to hate anyone new coming into their sport. America isnt into football like the rest of the world. So it’s not in our blood. But we are starting to come around. I really dont understand why people hate others trying to share what they love.

18. AntiOnan says:

The ONLY reason spurs have not been in the CL before is BECAUSE it was PROSTITUTED to allow Not only the league winner (as before) but also the other top teams from that league. That RIDICULOUS format was introduced so that the rich clubs would not lose any money by missing out on the CL.

IF you bother to check your history you will find that Tottenham came in the top four about TWENTY times between 1962 and 1993 but as only the team that came first were then allowed in it, they missed out. The ON LY reason that there is a TOP FOUR is that those clubs receive so much extra money that they can buy better players and keep their spot & make it a closed shop. You virtually have to shoot your own foot off (LiverpoolL) to drop out of it. It is, has been and always will be a totally UNFAIR system designed to keep the rich richer. Sounds familiar?
    Despite this the debts carried by Livrpool. Manchest United <Barcelona , Real Madrid and most Italian teams are in credibly ignored while you can see the instant effect of a sugar daddy with a new toy(Chelsea were a nothing club before Abramovitch) with manchester City. It all about the F****** money.

• Joe says:

It’s about money, sure. It’s also about making a competitive tournament. Do you really think the tournament would be better if there was only one team per country? Would you really look forward to a knockout match between Chelsea and CFR Cluj? A semi-final clash of Barcelona and Rangers?

Whatever the reason (money a factor as always), there are more good teams in England, Spain, Germany, and Italy than there are in Romania, Serbia, Scotland, Greece, etc. As a result, those nations are rewarded with more spots.

The same thing happens in the World Cup – Europe and South America get more spots than Africa and Oceania. Would you really like to see Uruguay or Paraguay denied a spot so we can have Papua New Guinea or Fiji get kicked around for three matches?

• AntiOnan says:

Joe I don’t disagree with anything that you wrote but I am just sick to death of hearing about our”absence” from the CL for 50 yrs which gives the very distinct impression to the ignorant that we have been rubbish for most of those 50 yrs.
        As for the “money”, it only takes one neuron to see the positive feedback effect of this upon such clubs which cements their place there.

The ONLY reason the EPL is more competitive now is because of the massive influx of NEW & rich overseas owners, & not any “fair game” rule changes.

I long await the day when Arsenal are relegated so that when they DO return to the EPL they actually have the right to be there. I do NOT hate Arsenal but they are in the EPL under false pretences and it is time that this was corrected.

19. Eddy E says:

I love this post–I too fell in love with the Spurs… don’t know why really. I too thought i should love the big 4, but Tottenham won me over–i think particularly because of the kind of class that Bale plays with.

20. John says:

Very nice piece. Ignore the haters they should welcome new fans (the more the merrier) not make ignorant comments. By the way notice there are some pretty eloquent threads written here but they write one liners for the most part. Probably because that is all they can think of saying. Must be Arsenal fans then.
    I grew up just over a mile from the Lane. My Dad took me to my first game at 8 (seats until I was allowed go to the stands) . Bring them back by the way. FIFA has already set the precedent by allowing Germany to have them. I have supported them all of 60 years; with passion. “These love of the club people” are childish and it almost seem like jealousy; you know it’s my club more than yours because I’ve supported them longer. Nonsense. Get along we all love the same club. It has nothing to do with longevity, it has to do with commitment to the club. Try telling my 5 year old grandson he doesn’t care. He makes Grandad pick him up and bring him to watch every day game. I welcome all new fans to the club. I have not known one Spurs fan that has become a supporter and left the club for another.
    It’s 4th. or 5th. for me as well and it will be close. Maybe we have might have to muller someone like we did to City at the end of last year lol.
    I’m sure a lot of you know this but myP2P.eu has every Spurs game on, Domestic and International. You sometimes loose the stream but there are plenty of them. I load 3 up so I can simply switch over and find another at half time.
    Anyway keep writing Andrew and take comfort in the fact that most (especially the intelligent ones on here), Like what you wrote and support you.

21. Troy says:

Good on ya mate. Follow a club and love them for everything they’re worth. Although I follow a club that is considered a top 4 club and has some of the most obnoxious fans in the world (United of course), the best thing is to follow your club with a passion and forget the haters. There are always going to be elitists that think they are God’s gift to football, but don’t let them get you down. I may be only 26, but I’ve passionately followed the Prem since 2003 and at this point can’t imagine my life without it.

Everyone has to get their start somewhere. I really liked reading about your plight and related to it in many ways. The best I can say is never concede and never give up on your club. If you do that, you can’t go wrong. Welcome to the best league in the world, my friend. Enjoy the ride.

22. dixta says:

nice story and actually very incisive comments! Go The Hotspur!, or whatever you guys say in the States.

23. Great story.

Spurs are very exciting to watch these days. Long may it continue!

24. Mayor says:

Hi, mayor 4rm Nigeria. 4get about all d haters dt responded negatively, being a fan starts 4rm somwhere. I can’t say I m a spurs fan.
    I watch as many matches of various clubs as possible. Spurs are really a different team. Bale, modric, vart, crouch, Gomes,
    Defoe(4rm injury) are all world class, though dy need to concede less, n Gomes needs to be more serious.
    But I dislike Spurs 4 1 reason, d young guys, Giovanni dos santos isn’t given any chance to show his worth.
    I believe he is a star like Bale. Yet, Bentley is ahead of him in d packin order. Ds guy showed his worth at
    Barca n in d world cup.. Well, right now I am torn btw city n spurs.

25. Johnny N17 says:

Dear Sir,

How proud I am to read your article regarding your recent discovery of the Spurs. I am the product of a split North London family, the other half being of course all Goon. I was taken and brainwashed by my Father as a young baby, and grew up through the late 70′s early 80′s golden period. I have often remarked how one might not choose to follow Tottenham, as opposed to say Arsenal, due to the dire experience of supporting Spurs in the 90′s, however, Sir Harold of Redknapps recent adventures have turned that around.

As mentioned above, the majority of our history has seen us play in this perilous, romantic, heart breaking and God affirming way, but has been forgotton through 20 odd years of mismanagement that unfortunately coincided with the rise of Wenger and the Arsenal all of a sudden switching to push and run-an Arthur Rowe invention of the 50′s.

In short, I am so pleased to see that with the return of the Spurs tradition, comes the attention of football lovers from all over the globe. My hope now is that we can together enjoy the fruits of this ancient and heroic magic. there is an insanity around this club that once experienced is truly addictive. Like all the best poison it may well finish us off before our time, yet what fun we shall have.

Warm regards from North London.

26. spur1950 says:

Enjoy the ride ,all of u the more the merrier, dont listen to the morenic arsewipes on here they are not Spurs As some of you say follow your heart and you will be a proper supporter
    as a spurs supporter its not the winning its the getting bored shitless basically as danny said [not in those words]not our style its a great roller coaster ride mine has been since 58, league champs [the man sir bill nick]relegated ,keith burkinshaw,gazzer,man in a rain coat ,it goes on, good luck to all of you
    remember there is only ONE TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR ALSO
    NORTH LUNDON IS OURS GO BACK TO WOOLICH NORTH LUNDON IS OURS!!!!!
    [CLEAN VERSION]

27. MennoDaddy says:

True, but if you ignore the two most recent Superbowl wins, you have to go back to the Steel Curtain in the 1970s to revisit their glory years.

Look, the analogy isn’t perfect. What analogy is? I’m in my mid-30s, and started following Pittsburgh back when they really stunk in the early 1980s. I fell in love with the mythos of the club, with the fans, with the passionate support from the city, and with the intense, hated rivalry with the Cleveland Browns (of which my only brother is a huge fan). Spurs, at the time I started following them, were well outside the top 4 — in fact, they were mired at the bottom of the table under Juande Ramos! But based on what I knew of them, I felt a kinship between what it feels to be a Steeler fan in the 1980s and what it must feel to be a Spurs fan in these more recent years.

Sure, they’re a blue-collar steel-town team, but that doesn’t mean I should’ve become a Scunthorpe fan.

28. James says:

From farlieonfootie:
    With apologies to Chuck Culpepper, author of the wonderful book “Bloody Confused”, I too have embarked on a quest to choose an EPL team.

1. Not the Guru’s Team

Culpepper’s guru was a supporter of Liverpool. farlieonfootie, of course, loves Manchester United. And I was tempted by United, mostly because of the refreshingly gruff Fergie, the old school mentality of their aging core players (Giggs, Scholes, Ferdinand) and the undeniable appeal of a culture of success that is up there only with the Yankees and Les Habitants in the annals of global professional sports. As Culpepper emphasized, however, for credibility sake it’s just not an option. My wife is annoyed enough with me for allowing farlieonfootie to inculcate this new found obsession– if I went so far as to follow his team I would never hear the end of it.

2. Not One of the “Big 4”

A corollorary of #1. While I read and heard much advice to the contrary (such as why on earth would an American newbie be at all concerned about the credibility issues of rooting for one of the Big 4 when he is just that – an American newbie), it just felt too easy to latch onto United, Chelsea, Arsenal or, formerly, Liverpool. Moreover, as a lifelong Yankee fan, I have always been begrudgingly envious of the Red Sox with their supremely loyal fans, cramped and ancient ball park and the joy they experienced when they finally got over the hump.

Plus there are issues with the so-called “Big 4″ teams. United is burdened by mountainous debt and ownership controversy. Liverpool is on a downward spiral that seems to have no end. Chelsea is somehow simply despicable in ways that are difficult to articulate – perhaps Ancelotti’s mafia garb, the actual mafia owner or Terry’s inherent personality. The Gunners seem to be the hip choice for people like me and have an appealing style of play, but I never connected with Wenger – and you’ve got to like the gaffer for this for this to work.

To put another way, I would love to meet up in a pub with Fergie, Uncle Harry or Big Sam. Wenger? Not so much.

And then there is the team trying to spend their way there – Man City. But who on earth could choose them with no existing connection? The mumbling manager with those effete Euro scarves and who, along with Wenger, colossally fails the Pub Test? The away kit that looks like the German national team? The petro funds invested indiscriminantly from our own country’s wasteful addiction to fossil fuels? Sorry…no.

3. Fundamentals

With respect to getting over the hump – Spurs have a shot. They have young, talented players for the most part, cash, little debt, increasing revenue, a new stadium on the way, are holding their own in Champions League, are intensely followed in the largest city in England. Because of all of this, they appear to be well-positioned to continue to strengthen the team and hold on to their young stars – especially Bale. They are competently managed and led by a gaffer in Uncle Harry who has led turn-arounds before and who is an entertaining character in his own right. And I have been surprised at the number of fellow Spurs supporters one encounters in the U.S.

4. Colorful History

While ancient, Spurs do have at least a glimmer of domestic and European success to call on as tradition. Beyond that, they have had a long running series of close calls and “what if’s” that have created a shared culture of pain and intensity in their followers that seems a tad more profound than many of the other strivers in English football, and which will make their possible ascension to perennial top of the table status that much more joyous.

5. “To Do Is To Dare”

One of the things I love about the EPL is the extent to which teams through multiple generations, ownership transition, success and failure retain certain aspects of their culture and traditions. None more so than Spurs, who have almost always played an aggressive, wide open and entertaining brand of football that is easy for newbies such as myself to embrace. Rarely blown out, but prone to cough up goals and leads with their attacking style, Spurs games are rarely boring. This is almost always true: win, lose or draw, a Spurs game will be entertaining on some level.

6. Harry Hotspur

Their mascot is a character from a Shakespeare play – what’s not to like about that? Seriously, this alone could have clinched it for me.

7. White Hart Lane

There were three venues that seemed to stand out for me in terms of raucousness (which was a vital element in the selection process, even though it may be a long time before I am able to experience it in person): Goodison Park, Villa Park and White Hart Lane. Not coincidentally, these three teams were my final three. I was sorely tempted by both Everton and Villa until very late in the summer. But Martin O’Neal’s shock resignation led me to question commitment there, and once I got a peek at Everton’s truly horrific away kit, I could just never feel the same about them.

As for the venue, even over TV, WHL is consistently one of the loudest, most raucous stadiums in England. But what really sold me was the sound of “When The Spurs Come Marching In” echoing through the San Siro three weeks ago as the team was down 4 nil to the European champions.

8. The Yids

Being from a melting pot family and with a Jewish father there was something inherently appealing in Spurs’ long time Jewish following in North London, and especially their non-Jewish followers proclaiming themselves “Yids” in response to anti-Semitic derision from followers of other clubs in the mid 20th century – an era not exactly known for inclusiveness, particularly in many parts of Europe. The tradition stands to this day. So much so, that there was an uproar among Spurs fans when Inter disallowed star of David flags and banners in San Siro for the match three weeks ago.

9. Debt, or Lack Thereof

Although touched on above, this bears repeating. With English football appearing to be spiraling towards financial crisis, Spurs appear to be a very prudently managed club. The Chairman and Harry appear to work well together and have managed to radically strengthen the club in a short period of time with a series of very astute and financially conservative acquisitions, Van der Vart being a prime example. They have cash, but seem to invest it wisely and according to a long term plan – pretty much the opposite of City.

10. Uncle Harry

I am admittedly biased since reading “Bloody Confused,” but Uncle Harry is easily one of the most entertaining football managers ever. He coaches an aggressive free-wheeling style that fits in well with Spurs’ football culture and provides an endless supply of amusing quotes (some samples: “Samassi Abou don’t speak the English too good.” “He took a knock on his ankle but we played him some Bob Marley reggae music and he was fine.” “After shooting practice yesterday, I had to drive up the M27 and collect four balls.” “Even when they had Moore, Hurst and Peters, West Ham’s average finish was about 17th. It just shows how crap the other 8 of us were.”) Moreover, he is not spening his club into oblivion as he’s been accused of doing in the past. He seems to have bought into the long-term plan, appears set to stay awhile barring a call up to the English national team, and the players all seem to respond well to him.

29. Brian says:

@ Andrew:

Congratulations! I am happy that you take joy in a club that is part of the beautiful game.

I won’t sit here and criticize you for posting your journey to following football. We were all new at one time or another, we all have our own origin stories, etc etc.

What I will do is encourage you to get to know your club, and the fellow supporters as much as possible. See, and this happens with many newer fans all the time…I believe that you fell in love with Tottenham Hotspur football, and not Tottenham Hotspur itself.

Plenty of new supporters are found through the quality of the football on the pitch. But if you love only the football, what will keep you around when the good football goes by the wayside, as it always does for what most of us hope for our clubs – a brief amount of time.

Get to know Spurs – the history, the ground, the supporters, the sogn and traditions. Only then will you know if you are truly in love with Tottenham Hotspur. But ask yourself right now, if Redknapp departs and the football dries up and Bale sold…what is keeping you in white?

When you love a club for more than it’s football, when you make that special connection with it, that’s when you love the club itself.

• Joe says:

From what I hear, Tottenham has played a similar attacking, edge-of-your-seat style for quite some time, over the course of many managers. I guess it might not always be the case, but that’s the kind of tidbit that has me interested in following them for a while

30. Tony F says:

Cracking article.
    The love for your club has to start somewhere, and i’m sure most peoples first experience of watching spurs is usually an enjopyable one.Most fans of other clubs would have to admit they enjoy watching us play. We are exciting to watch, play the game in the right way, and there are allways goals. Very very rarely goaless borefests like some teams. eg; Liverpool, Everton, Stoke etc. There are many more.
    It is a roller coaster ride being a spurs fan and at the moment we are teetering at the top, but my stomach has the feeling you get when you know there is a big drop coming. Thats nerves and its exciting.
    A few more class signings to the squad would keep us riding high, but im in agreement that we dont need any more central defenders. Although cover for benoir assou akoto is needed. And a top class striker is a must. He must be proven quality.
    Up to the age of 13 i enjoyed playing the game but was never interested in watching it, until one faithfull night when spurs sank the hooks into me.
    Southampton in the F.A. cup, three nil down at half time.
    The second half was amazing and we managed to claw our way back with Ronny Rozentals help to make it three all at full time.
    Onto extra time and our competitors could not compete and we ended the game six, three winners and Ronny got a well deserved hatrick.
    Been fanatical about the club ever since.

31. The attacking style of Spurs is probably creating a whole host of young football fans to fall in love with this team
    well done Arry

32. Owen Coyle says:

Spurs are playing exciting football there’s no doubt about it,but what about supporting a team like Bolton with a superb USA player like Stuart Holden?

Undoubtedly taken over from Clint Dempsey as the best American player in the league.Did you see that goal he scored against Blackburn?

First time in 10 years that Bolton have beaten Blackburn at home in the league,riding high in 6th and playing some great stuff.

33. Hakeem 9JaSpur says:

Welcome to the topsy turvey world of being a Spurs Fan. I am 1 of 2 Spurs fans I know about in Nigeria, and it takes a lot of guts to sit in a bar with a 30 odd Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd fans on a daily basis to drink beer, watch and talk football (soccer). Carling Cup victory over Chelski, Agony every game against ManUre, and the sheer passion of my scream and shouts when Kaboul scored the winner at the Emirates; imagine 1 six foot two 200 pound african running waving his Tottenham jersey in the middle of an open air bar owned by an Arsenal fan and patronised on that day by 30 Arsenal fans. Sheer joy!!! Hater Alex is an Arsenal fan its obvious that he’s still reeling from the thrashing against Spurs. COYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

34. lieutenant says:

haha big four ? ((( big raspberry…!))) “TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR” giants 20 million loyal fans worldwide yid army berserkers battalions firms mobs hools casuals dudes posse outlaws aberdeen asc …futuristic fantastic new stadium planned ello ello we are the tottenham boys…

35. mynameisluka says:

Andrew…WELCOME TO THE CLUB! well done and keep it up.

36. Robin says:

Great to see an Tottenham fan. Im an Arsenal supporter and were I live (the United States sadly were people only like chelsea and barcelona) you just dont see those type of people who support normal clubs.