Powered by
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

5 Best Soccer Movies Available on iTunes

the damned united 5 Best Soccer Movies Available on iTunes

With Christmas fast approaching and the cold snap beginning to bite, let’s take a look at five films soccer related films that you can enjoy over the festive period without leaving the comfort of your house, thanks to the joy that is iTunes.

5. The Football Factory
Based on a novel wrote by John King, this film is a fair reflection on the hooliganism epidemic that caused huge problems in England. The film follows the story of Tommy Johnson (Danny Dyer), a Chelsea supporter who has become involved with the clubs infamous hooligan group the ‘Headhunters’. The film is a must see for any soccer fan wanting to get a greater understanding of why there is so much violence associated with the beautiful game.

The Football Factory. Buy: $9.99, Rent: $2.99

4. Bend it Like Beckham
This award winning film is perhaps the most successful soccer film of all times in terms of awards. Starring Parminder Nagra as Jess, a soccer obsessed girl who has dreams of making it as a top female player. The story follows the trials and tribulations of Jess and her Sikh family who don’t agree with her career plan. And it also marks an early film for Keira Knightley. Hubba hubba.

Bend It Like Beckham. Buy $9.99, Rent: $2.99

3. Victory
A distinctly more cheery film than The Football Factory, this World War Two film has a star-studded cast with the likes of Sylvester Stallone and Michael Caine appearing alongside footballing greats Pele and the late Bobby Moore. Released in 1981, the film follows a group of Allied prisoners who take on a German side in a soccer game where everything is against them; however with Luis Fernandez (Pele) in fine form, things won’t be that easy for the Germans.

Victory. Buy: $9.99, Rent: $2.99

2. Pelada
Pelada is a remarkable soccer documentary that follows two Americans on a journey around the world in pursuit of pick-up games. It’s a simple premise, but the experiences and people they encounter around the globe are wonderful to watch. If you consider yourself a soccer fan, this is one documentary that you must seek out. If you’re not convinced, listen to the interview on the EPL Talk Podcast with one of the stars of the film.

Pelada. Buy: $14.99, Rent: $3.99

1. The Damned United
Tom Hooper’s controversial film tells the story of the legendary Brian Clough’s brief spell in charge of Leeds United. Based on the Damned United Utd book by David Peace ,the film provides a fascinating insight in to one of the most iconic managers in the history of English soccer. Michael Sheen stars as Clough in a film which caused anger amongst several former Leeds players who were far from happy about the way they were portrayed in the film.

The Damned United. Buy: $14.99

If there are any soccer films available on iTunes that are missing from the above list, please include your suggestions in the comments section below.

Full disclosure: EPL Talk receives a small commission for many of the items listed above. Since all of the content on our site is available for free and the advertising pays for only some of our costs, we appreciate your show of support to EPL Talk for any purchases or rentals made via the links above. Thank you.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to 5 Best Soccer Movies Available on iTunes

1. Andy Kay says:

If you haven’t seen “The Damned United” I also recommend it as it is probably the best football film available, giving an amazing glimpse into what the game was like back in the mid-70′s. I remember Clough as the most arrogant man in the UK at that time and Leeds United as the dirtiest team in English football. Great movie.

Oh, and “hubba hubba” indeed for Keira Knightley in ‘Bend it like Beckham’

2. Rick says:

I don’t know if it’s available on iTunes, and the site’s blocked at my office so I can’t check, but Green Street Hooligans is my favorite soccer film. It’s the one that got me interested in the sport in the first place.

Also, Goal is an enjoyable movie as well, but not better than an of the others listed above.

• King Eric says:

football factory easily wipes the floor w/green street. the fact that elijah wood is portrayed as a hooligan is a joke! if that movie got you into the sport, then you have a lot to learn and a long way to go buddy.

• Colin says:

That was a chodey thing to say. Who cares how he got into football? Why not just be happy that someone else appreciates the sport instead of trying to be a d*ck about it?

• King Eric says:

Listen, I’m not saying or against that he got into the sport that way- I actually think it’s great. Just saying I’m surprised that a shiite movie like Green Street was able to have such pull and that he’s obviously very new to the game, so I’m sure has a lot to learn- there’s nothing wrong w/that.

Like you said, I don’t care how someone does as long as they learn about the beautiful game the right way and all that it has to offer. He already clarified his reasoning below and in that sense, I agree it’s catchy and portrays a different light to the game that goes unnoticed to most fans abroad. Just saying, if he’s looking for hooligan type films, then the I’d peg “The Firm” and “Football Factory” far ahead of this one.

• Rick says:

I’ve seen the movies The Firm, Football Factory, and Cass, but that’s not what I was looking for. They were enjoyable movies, but I wasn’t looking for something realistic.

I will say however, of all the movies listed the best is The Damned United. That is a fantastic movie. I have yet to see Fever Pitch. I’m not an Arsenal fan, but the book was great.

People seem to be harsh with Green Street Hooligans. Can anyone recommend another movie to me that would be about the sport, but not the game itself? What I loved was everyone gathering together in the pub, and the scene that shows the extent to which everyone goes to hear the FA Cup draw. I guess I’m saying I’m looking for another movie about the fan experience.

• Rick says:

Do I think that Green Street Hooligans is realistic? Of course not. Do I think it’s a great movie? Probably not, but I love it. What made me love it so much, and start following the sport, is the whole idea of match day. I loved all the friends going to the bar, having a few pints, singing some songs. It just looked like fun. And while it may not be realistic, I do think the movie’s very enjoyable.

• trickybrkn says:

As a West Ham fan…. This movie makes me sick. An Aussie running the ICF. I think NOT. Football Factory was like a cartoon.

It may not be a ‘football’ movie, but deals with the tribal impulses on a much more real level is, “This is England”.

and how do you leave out Fever Pitch and Ladybugs???? how how?????

3. Graham Paisley says:

Number 1 definately, When Saturday Comes, Fever Pitch, Kes

4. Marc says:

Its not much of a football movie but “Looking For Eric” was a good movie. Showed some classic Cantona goals.

5. Brian says:

I really enjoyed “The Damned United” which you can also instantly stream on Netflix. Another suggestion would be The Cup—a film which shows the efforts that two Nepalese youngsters undertake in order to watch the World Cup final (I believe it was the ’98 final).

6. MartinD says:

I’d highly recommend ‘Pelada’ to anyone that’s ever played a game of football with their mates in the neighbourhood, at work, at school etc.
    Watching this took my instantly back to so many great games I played years ago. This is a great documentry, eye opening to see where football is played.

7. Dave C says:

Argh I’d rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty nail than watch anything involving Kiera Knightly or the Chav-King Danny Dyer. Numbers 1 and 3 are classics though. Never heard of Pelada, so I can’t comment on that one. Maybe I’ll check it out.

8. Cantona says:

bend in like beckham??? football factory?? good football films?? your kidding right?…. maybe that full disclosure at the end explains alot… those two films are rubbish..
    1. Mike Basset: England Manager ** has noone else seen this classic film?? this totally hilarious…

2. Goal.. not the best.. but easily better than the first two you listed..

Cantona–

• The Gaffer says:

Goal is available on iTunes in the US, but Mike Basset: England Manager is not. I’ve seen Goal, which is pretty decent, but have not seen Mike Basset.

9. Fever Pitch easily deserves mention. The true angst of a Gunners fan on display- and HEY! its relevant today =D

10. Gareth says:

I do actually love the film, as well as other hooligan films, so don’t want my head bitten off if at all possible, but does Football Factory really belong on this list? It’s one of my favourite films, but I just don’t class it as a football film. I know a lot of this site is written by Americans, so maybe it’s just a case of not knowing how much damage it does to the game to the same extent we do in Europe? Obviously I don’t know where the writer is from, and am not trying to insult Americans.)

Hooliganism is ugly. The films are great, but I just don’t feel they should be listed among films like The Damned United and Escape To Victory (as it is known in the UK) as these are proper football films, for proper football fans. Hooligans just aren’t proper fans.

On a lighter note, I never knew Fever Pitch was made into a film? Will have to look it up, never had the patience to read the book.

• Rick says:

As an American, I don’t see hooliganism as a problem. I know that it is a problem, however I live an ocean away from it. I’ve never seen it on my local news, and probably never will. Being so far removed from it, it doesn’t affect my life, so I enjoy seeing it glorified. I hope you realize I’m not trying to condone it, and it’s a terrible thing, but it’ll never strike home for me, so I can’t be against hooliganism on a personal level.

As for Fever Pitch, I’ve never seen either adaptation, but there’s actually two of them. There’s a version from the UK that actually follows the story of the novel. Then, there’s an American version that changes the sport to baseball and makes it into a romance. I do recommend the book though. It’s a great tribute to attending matches with the author’s father.

• Gareth says:

Thanks for the insight on the hooliganism ;) nice to get a fresh point of view on these things. I can’t say I’ve actually suffered it personally, not like I’ve been attacked, and it’s far removed from its heyday in the ’70s but every now and then you see the results and it is just disgusting to think that some people use our beautiful game as an excuse to do so much harm and damage. As I said before though, love the films, just don’t like them being too closely associated with the game. What happens on the pitch and what happens in the train station are two seperate things.

As for Fever Pitch, I’ll have to try and get hold of both movies, and if I ever find the patience to read a book it’s definitely top of the pile ;)

11. soonerscotty says:

Found a cartoon on Netflix streaming tonight called “War Game” from 2001 that is about a group of boys joining the British Army during WW1 and while they’re in France they have a game of footy with the Germans on Christmas.

Here’s the Netflix description:
    “Writer Michael Foreman’s intriguing and heartwarming book is translated to the big screen in this animated film featuring the voices of Kate Winslet, Ben Warwick, Adam Godley and Colin McFarlane. Even during wartime, one can find grace, it seems, as evidenced by an unusual soccer match that ensues one Christmas during World War I, when three young soldiers and their English crew face off against a German squad.”

It was alright, it was more about the effects of war and used footy as a way to tell the story…it’s only 30 minutes and didn’t know if others knew about it…..

IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365910/
    Netflix http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/War_Game/70002650?trkid=496624#height1905

12. RANDY LEWIS says:

A Shot At Glory starring Robert Duvall is not a bod movie as well. Check it out.