FRI, 2:30PM ET
SAT, 10AM ET
MUFC
HULL
SAT, 10AM ET
SWA
CRY

Where Will You Watch the World Cup Announcement?

Where Will You Watch the World Cup Announcement?

EPL Talk Network Live Blogging can be seen by clicking here.

The time for waiting is over.  The final arguments are being made during the night in Zurich (and I’ll leave it to your imagination what “persuasion” means in Zurich) and all that’s left is the nervous waiting.  So, here’s your guide to the World Cup announcement:

When: Tomorrow December 2 at 10:00AM Eastern, 7:00 AM Pacific

Where: For TV viewers, you can watch the announcement on ESPN, Fox Soccer, and numerous Internet sites, including FIFA.com.  Of course you can chat with our own Jonathon Feyerherm here on MLS Talk tomorrow (which is how I will watch the announcement) about both the 2018 and 2022 announcements.  If you are in a partying mood, the U.S. Bid and local visitor’s bureaus will be hosting bid parties.  The major locations are:

Atlanta – STATS Food and Drink (300 Marietta ST. NW)

Dallas – Dallas City Hall Lobby

Kansas City – 810 Zone on the Plaza (4686 Broadway)

Los Angeles – ESPN Zone LA Live

Philadelphia – Tir Na Nag (1600 Arch Street)

Seattle – FX McRory’s (419 Occidental Ave S)

Washington DC – Newseum (555 Pennsylvania Ave NW)

You can see all of the official celebration sites here.  So, when the big day arrives, where will you watch the announcement?

This entry was posted in Leagues: Major League Soccer, World Cup 2022 and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to Where Will You Watch the World Cup Announcement?

1. sergio lima says:

It is 8:45AM and no TV is talking about this yet.
    I was reading the official bidding evaluation report provided by USA Soccer Federation and for some reason, the word soccer was replaced for football. So, what are they trying to tell the world? If the official name of the sport in USA is soccer, they should present to the world as soccer. Or, if we get the WC are we going to change the name? By the way, why don’t we really change the name to football and the NFL adopts the name American Football?
    Qatar is scaring me.

2. Bolacuadrada says:

Bribery. Thanks US delegation. There is nothing you can do about that.

3. ChivaDeCorazon83 says:

what’s a Qatar? :s

4. Miami Ultra says:

I Soviet Russia, ball kicks you!

Sucks England AND the US lost out. Was looking forward to using 2018 as an excuse to visit England and leave the US for the first time, and 2022 obviously blows. Was looking forward to the possibility of the US playing a game in Miami. Oh well, 2030 or bust!(conceding 2026 to China).

• CTBlues says:

China can’t host 2026 because Qatar is in Asia, so the US’s best bet is 2026/30 depending on when they want Europe to have another Cup and China in 2030/34.

• Charles says:

Russia would be a lot more interesting to visit than England.

• Tom says:

Charles- Russia would/will be interesting to visit, but a lot more difficult. Huge distances between venues makes it more expensive. I might skip Moscow and instead go to St. Pete or the southern area, but not sure if/where I’d go. Germany was great because travel was easy and cities were beautiful. That is why I hoped for one of the other three bids to win, and rooted for Belgium/Holland or England. Oh well.

5. Charles says:

Figuring it is going to be in Europe every other WCup,
    that means the US is looking at 2030. I guess there is an outside shot of it not going Europe every other one, but probably not.

I like the choice of Russia.

Qatar ?

• Dave C says:

I’ve heard that FIFA’s policy on WC bids is that no country can bid for a world cup if either of the previous two WCs were in that confederation/area.

Eg because the world cup will be in a UEFA country in 2018, no European bids will be considered for 2022 (which is a moot point, since it’s already been allocated) OR 2026. So the soonest Europe could host it again would be 2030). So Europe could only host one out of every three world cups at a maximum. Interestingly, this also means that Qatar’s victory means that China cannot bid in either 2026 or 2030. (That’s assuming that FIFA maintain the same policy).

• Tom says:

It is not going Europ every other one right now- South Africa to Brazil.

I wanted the USA, but understand the Qatar choice. It will be unique and interesting.

6. Joe says:

I have no problem with the Qatar choice. It’s a new market for the sport, they have plenty of money to make it successful, from what I hear their presentation was the best (didn’t have a chance to watch it)…the only thing against it is bigoted morons on message boards saying “LOL DATZ A TERRORIST COUNTRY LMFAO HAVE FUN GETTIN BLOWED UP LOLOL”. Do we really need those people on board with anything?

• Earl Reed says:

Ah, the introduction of the straw man. So you have a weak argument that Qatar is a better place to hold the Cup, so you resort to making ANYONE who dissents out to be racist? Sorry if we might be a little skeptical of the 115 degree heat being an ideal atmosphere for soccer.

Hopefully they make some advances in hologram technology before 2022, because I suspect they’ll need to project images of fans in the seats.

• Joe says:

Continue wasting your time crying over what hasn’t happened. The US has not won. It’s over.

To suggest that they won’t sell out world cup games is completely ludicrous, but feel free to keep making that argument for the next 12 years. I will be looking forward to a new experience for the Arab world and for big-time international soccer.

7. Robert says:

Good for Qatar. For those questioning this selection remember USA was in that position in 94 when we didn’t even have a domestic league.

• Clampdown says:

Except, the World Cup was being used as a way to get the domestic league off the ground again. Qatar has no plans to have a league and plans to dismantle all of the stadia except for one after the World Cup. There will be no Qatar league.

Just how are they going to have air-conditioned stadia when they will be open air above the pitch? That sounds great for the environment. Will their bizarre laws regarding sponsorship for workers (also known as slavery) be tolerated in constructing facilities for the WC?

Don’t fool yourselves. FIFA got something for this award, but who knows if we’ll ever find out what that is. The complete lack of transparency in the way FIFA operates leaves little room for trust.

• Giggsy says:

really? the US was a tiny nation of only 2M people that had to build 10 stadiums that nobody will need after the event who had to import thousands of slave labourers from South-East Asia to build the stadiums that had nowhere near enough hotels or facilities to host 2M visitors and 32 teams who just happen to live by 13th century sectarian laws and treat women as 2nd class chattel?

because i may have been young in 1994 but i don’t remember the US being like that

• Robert says:

No, USA was a country who held the tournament in NFL stadiums. 16 years later we have a domestic league posing as a proper soccer league and MLS building stadiums that will never have the capacity to hold such an international event. Be happy for Qatar and the middle east.

• Giggsy says:

be happy that there is an organization corrupt and stupid enough to give a giant sporting event to a nation as small as Connecticut with only 1.6M people over 75% of whom are indentured servants and slave labourers? or should i congratulate a nation/region that lives under 14th century Sharia law and who’s record of human rights for imported SE Asia slave labour and women’s rights is reprehensible and just so happens to have ZERO tradition or quality in football and who will spend the next 12 years buying the best players they can and naturalizing them so they don’t get embarrased 12-0 in every game?

yeah. not sure i am going to get all jumpy for joy if you don’t mind.

• Joe says:

Robert, we’ve had our disagreements in the past concerning MLS and the future of US soccer, but I’m on board with you here. FIFA is making an interesting, risky choice. The Middle East has never been asked to host something like this before, and whatever happens, I’m intrigued. I have faith in the World Cup. For people who come in with this negative whiny attitude…go watch NASCAR or something.

• Charles says:

Heeee’s baaaaack.

I am happy for Middle East…and skeptical on how they got it.
          I would rather have it the US for my own personal joy, but I would rather have it around the World for the beauty and history of the World Cup.

ps. Robert, remember how you said the Sounders with HUGE NFL ties had a conspiracy to not open up more of QWest :
          Seating Configurations and Away Support

…but he ( Hanauer ) did indicate that the team is looking to potentially expand seating and that the Hawks’ Nest is the next logical place to put fans. That would add about 2,200 seats, but they only want to open that up if they are reasonably assured of selling it out.

You weren’t lying to me were you ? I trusted you.

• Joe says:

Heavens to Betsy! The US has always respected women and foreigners, and never once made anyone work for no wages! This is an outrage!

8. Dan says:

BIG SURPRISE, FIFA WAS BOUGHT OFF!

Qatar doesn’t deserve shit, they have 100 people in the whole country, it is 130 degrees in summer, it’s a horrible choice! They will move it to USA last minute from all the terrorism that is bound to start coming there way for hosting a “western” tournament

9. adam says:

Just watched quatar bid, I am glad they got it. They blew our bid out of the water and even got me choked up. If you havent seen it take a look around 16min and beyond, the first half is not in english.

• Earl Reed says:

You are right Adam (if that’s your real name). We weren’t willing to throw in crude oil stock for the voting members into our bid.

You can’t honestly say that Qatar’s bid is better unless you’re one of the few people who benefit from it happening. The place is a sauna. It will be bittersweet when you see all the best players in the world cramping every 3 minutes on the field due to exhaustion and dehydration due to their inability to cope with the excessive heat, regardless of any pipe dreams regarding air conditioning. It’s all about the money, and there are most certainly members of the voting body who benefited financially from voting towards Qatar (and Russia for that matter).

• Joe says:

Earl Reed – the man who puts “straw man” in all his comments as if that makes them valid. I’m assuming you’re a regular visitor to Qatar as well as an insider to the FIFA selection process. Otherwise how would you know what it’s like to play soccer in Qatar or how many people were bribed to make this bid happen? I’m looking forward to reading your next comments in the papers, since you’re clearly a man of great power and experience.

• Earl Reed says:

Yet again, you use some form of ridiculous misnomer to attempt to make my comments less valid. So it’s not hot? So there is no persecution? Those are both considerable concerns among many, and yet my argument isn’t based on personal experience so I’m discredited?

• Joe says:

Ridiculous misnomer? You’ve used the term “straw man” in several of your posts.

You’re discredited because you spend time complaining on a blog comment board about something you have no control over or knowledge of. Whatever concerns “many” have, the bidding is over and Qatar has overcome those concerns. The US had many concerns too – are you really blind enough to argue that the US has no issues with justice, security, or transportation infrastructure?

• Clampdown says:

OK, Joe. First, of course no country can offer “no issues” with security or transportation. But I don’t think many countries in the world could match the US’ capabilities there.

Also, why are you in favor of Qatar hosting the World Cup? In other words, instead of complaining about the complainers, please tell us why it would be a good idea to have it there?

I honestly cannot think of one, other than they’d likely build very cool looking stadia, which by the way will be dismantled after the World Cup.

• Joe says:

Clampdown – In terms of transportation infrastructure, I want you to take an Amtrak train sometime. Then, I want you to take a flight out of LaGuardia Airport in NY, O’Hare in Chicago, LAX in Los Angeles. The delays and the hassle from these trips may make you rethink your confidence in US transportation.

I was at a friendly at New Meadowlands Stadium in August. I waited 30 minutes in a line to buy a train ticket on the way there and stood in a crowd of 10,000 people cramming through one gate for the train on the way back. If we can’t get transportation for a FRIENDLY right, I have serious doubts about our ability to organize a World Cup.

Here’s why I’m in favor of Qatar: the Middle East, whether you like it or not, is a hub of major world power and influence. The global community has been hesitant to accept them for a variety of reasons – some of them admittedly good. But like Dr. Martin Luther King, I believe that a large portion of hatred stems from fear, and fear stems from ignorance. It may be cheesy as Hell, but I believe in the World Cup. I believe that an event that brings people from all over the world together to watch a game can promote tolerance and peace. It doesn’t always bring out the best in everyone, but I think it does a lot of good that we take for granted when we write angry message board screeds (of which I’m as guilty as anyone!)

I think that if we involve Qatar, if we involve the Middle East, if we allow people from different parts of the world to meet and mingle together and enjoy a game, good things will come of this.

Some say the Middle East is “evil”, but to me that’s like saying all Russians were evil under Stalin. Good people are everywhere, and an event like the World Cup can bring good people together. I don’t know if it will change anything regarding existing human rights issues in the Middle East, but I have faith that at least ordinary people can meet like-minded individuals from different parts of the globe.

And hey, the stadiums are cool.

• Clampdown says:

Joe,

I live in NY and have for decades. LaGuardia is tough, no doubt. But access is relatively easy to JFK and Newark via the subway and Airtrain, same for O’Hare into Chicago. Amtrak, while a bit of an inefficient mess, is not as awful as it’s portrayed. Plus, the US already showed it can capably host this event.

Have you traveled a lot? Try Bangkok, Cairo, or Beijing. It will alter your feelings about transportation infrastructure here. I bitch about the MTA here in NY all the time, but truthfully every major city has similar issues (save Moscow, from what I hear).

I admire your optimism about this helping create some sort of peace for the area. But I’m too skeptical to think that’s a reality.

I, like you, take issue with a lot of sweeping generalizations made about the people of the Middle East and don’t share the fear some people in the US have. And my opposition has nothing to do with who they are.

My issue with this bid, on top of the oppressive heat, the current lack of stadia and infrastructure is that the Qatar plan seems so artificial. Like a World’s Fair or something. Temporary stadia and massive infrastructure built for a single event. No plans to start a league.

I probably wouldn’t be so opposed if it was a joint bid, or a pan-Middle East tournament involving a few hosts.

I look forward to the Faroe Islands World Cup in 2030!

• Joe says:

Clampdown,
            I have been to Beijing, and agree about the transportation nightmare. Did they ever clear up that weeks-long traffic jam from the fall?

I think that in the end there is some US entitlement mentality coming into play here. We feel that we’re the biggest and the best in everything, and when we don’t win we cry foul.

I agree that Qatar is clearly not a major nation, but I think if you’re going to do a World Cup in that part of the world, Qatar is not a bad choice. The size of the country actually helps in terms of transportation woes. And unlike other nations in that area, Qatar seems willing to bend their laws for the sake of the event. Will it work out? I can’t say for sure. But I do admire the risk and am eager to see what happens.

10. Sancho says:

BBC has announced the results.

2022 Round 1:

4th) Japan, 2

2022 Round 3:
    1st) Qatar, 11 votes
    2nd) USA, 6 votes
    3rd) Korea, 5 votes

2022 Round 4:
    1st) Qatar, 14 votes (winner)
    2nd) USA, 8 votes

11. Earl Reed says:

For those who want to be optimistic about 2026, I would bet dollars to donuts that Australia is in line for 2026. I think we’re in bad shape until the mid 2030′s as far as chances to host. You have to figure 2030 is going to be a European country, they aren’t going to wait more than 3 cycles to go back to the home ship. So that brings to 2034…

One only hopes that FIFA gets investigated for corruption in the next 10 years, and is forced to clean up its act.

12. Joe says:

For the record, I would have LOVED the World Cup to be in America again. I would’ve gone to several games. I probably will not go to Qatar.

But to take this bitching and moaning attitude, to complain that there was OBVIOUSLY some sort of bribing or foul play, to whine about heat that you have never experienced first-hand and will not experience because you will never go to Qatar…where does that get you? The process is over. Now let’s watch some soccer.

• Earl Reed says:

You’re right, that’s the way it goes. I’ve never been there, and I don’t plan to go anytime soon. A peninsula jutting into the Persian Gulf a few hundred miles from Ahmadinejad, I think I’ll stay in my corner of the world. Good for the Qataris.

• Joe says:

I knew that eventually we’d get you back to the basest concerns of the message board dolts. A few hundred miles from Ahmadinejad – oh no!!! He’s gonna reach out and get you!

13. Earl Reed says:

Joe, by the way, the ridiculous misnomer had nothing to do with the “Straw Man” reference, which is simply a label for the type of argument you have been prone to use in this thread.

The ridiculous misnomer is the painting of me (or anyone else) who thinks the Qatar bid is bogus as racist, or as unqualified to make an opinion. There you go.

• Joe says:

Earl, its not just the racism, its the fact that many of the arguments against the Qatar World Cup that I’ve seen are just stupid. Let’s go through one by one.

1) The size. Qatar is a small country. This is a BENEFIT to the World Cup because there will be far less expensive travel to figure out once visitors have arrived in the country.

2) The heat. People are whining about the heat as if it’s 200 degrees on a cold day. From the sensible sources I’ve read, Qatar’s heat is about equivalent to Las Vegas. Certainly not cool, but part of Qatar’s bid had a proposed solution in place. You aren’t a scientist, so to say it’s impossible with no basis for this statement is useless.

3) The Qatar national team. Who cares if they’ve never been in a World Cup? I don’t exactly remember South Africa team blowing away the football world before or after they received the bid. Just like that World Cup, the Qatar choice is about REGION, not just the individual country. Africa and the Middle East are new markets for the game, and FIFA is taking advantage of that to bring them into the global community.

• Earl Reed says:

For the record, I am a scientist. But regardless, I don’t think I said it was impossible to create an environment where people are comfortable in the Qatari heat. But the point was, FIFA should have mandated that this technology be proven BEFORE the bid was accepted. As far as I can tell, this is simply a plan. I could tell FIFA that if they bring the Cup back to America, that 12,000 mermaids will dance in the center of each stadium before the game. The trouble is backing it up.

I think if you wouldn’t have called people complaining about the much maligned process for determining a host bitchers, it might have gone over a little bit better. You’re right, the complaining isn’t going to change the way the bid turned out, but the process is most certainly susceptible to corruption. Complaints and questions lead to inquiries and more openness, as has been seen by the lifting of the veil of secrecy around the voting record. And you have to agree, the Qatar result has to be one of the more unlikely (and even confounding) decisions by FIFA. At this point, I do hope that Qatar is a success.

• Joe says:

I guess I just have faith regarding their plan for the ACs. Maybe that’s naive of me. We’ll see in 12 years!

I could’ve been a little less emotionally charged, but it just bothers me how much whining and negativity this blog seems to generate, whether the story is World Cup bids, MLS, or US soccer. I stumbled upon this blog about a month ago and hoped it would be a fun place to talk about soccer (being that few of my friends follow the sport), but it hasn’t turned out that way. I should probably just find something else to read!

14. Name: Mark says:

The people of Middle east are crazy about Soccer. I am very happy for Qatar and the rest of the region. We need good news coming from that part of the world. I hope this inspires the youth of indulge in sports rather than violence.

Also very disappoint­ed with some of the comments here. The people living in Qatar may have a different lifestyle than us, but they deserve this as much as any other nation. Also an event like this will help the liberal forces in the middle east and will be a defeat for extremist.

15. Joe says:

Don Garber bribed Sepp Blatter not to pick USA so that MLS can keep the summer schedule.

Hey look at me, I’m a moron on a blog making accusatory statements with no proof!