SAT, 8:45AM ET
SAT, 11AM ET
HUL
SOU
SAT, 11AM ET
STO
WHU

Should West Ham United Sack Avram Grant Or Not?

Should West Ham United Sack Avram Grant Or Not?

The number of adjectives to describe West Ham’s performance against Liverpool on Saturday are too many to fit on one hand. Lethargic, woeful, uninspired, dispassionate, lifeless, pathetic and flaccid, just to name a few. After the first half was over and West Ham United were losing 3-0 at Anfield, I thought that there was at least a chance for Avram Grant to work his magic during the halftime team talk and that the Hammers could come out playing better in the second half.

But even though the Hammers stopped Liverpool from scoring in the second half, West Ham United didn’t show the determination necessary to try to even the score in this match, rescue West Ham from relegation trouble or try to save Avram Grant’s job. If it wasn’t for Robert Green, Liverpool could have won this match 4-0 or 5-0, such was the lack of effort that the east London team showed today.

Based on the season thus far and the fact that West Ham United are getting worse not better, I believe West Ham owners Sullivan and Gold should sack Grant as quickly as possible and find someone who can rally these troops. Otherwise West Ham United are practically guaranteed to be playing in the Championship next season.

What do you think? Should West Ham United give Avram Grant more time or not? Vote in the poll below and share your feedback in the comments section.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Should West Ham United Sack Avram Grant Or Not?

1. Steve says:

what’s the point? we are a 1 man team and that 1 man was injured. I hear that Doncaster and Scunthorpe are lovely places to visit. Should be fun next season

2. Scott Alexander says:

Maybe Gullivan could sell their shares and they could bring back Zola?

3. A.M. says:

You can blame the manager if you want, but this is a team devoid of much talent. They were essentially a relegation team last year and were very lucky to survive with their point total. Throw in not having a lot of money to throw around over the summer, as well as bad luck with both ref calls and injuries, and you essentially have no chance to succeed. Barring an infusion of new talent, I can’t see this team surviving.

4. RVPFan says:

I like Avram Grant. He is a good manager and should not be sacked. I argued this same point with my friends who are Chelsea supporters when he was sacked by Abramovich. It’s just the culture right now in the Barclays Premier League that clubs are hasty in responding by sacking manager like Grant whereas the problem lies much deeper than that.

Why was Grant sacked by Chelsea just puzzles me? He took the team to Champions League final and was almost about to lift the prestigious trophy had it not been for Terry missing the spot kick. Had that gone in, I believe he still would have been Chelsea manager.

Sometimes it’s the depth in the squad rather than a manager that’s responsible for the team losing and unless PL clubs realize this, we will be in a culture where manager, even though has set up a club for future gains, are in desperate array of disaster because of performance that is currently not in sink with what the club owners desire. This is the problem in my opinion. So No!! Grant should not be sacked. His performance should be judged by at least a couple of years of team performance. Sacking him now is not giving him chance for what his vision is towards the club that makes it better in the future.

5. Eric says:

He shouldn’t be sacked, yet.

The tactics and personel in the game could use a face lift. Boa Morte in the middle, doesn’t make much sense. Boa Morte on the field doesn’t make much sense most of the time, but to his credit can have the 5-10 minutes where he’s worth a spot.

The lack of aggression and pressure in their own end is horrifying.

The team does have talent to finish respectively above the drop zone. They’ve had the matches too. Holding Arsenal to no goals for 80+ minutes at the Emirates isn’t the easiest. Taking a solid 2 goal lead at Birmingham in 60 minutes. Beating Tottenham. They’ve been close in a good majority of their matches. The big problem is that they struggle more than any other team to play a full 90 minute match. There is ALWAYS that 10-20 minutes (at least) where they are dreadful, lacking emotion and any sense of direction. That’s where they get beat. I’m sure that can be the case for most teams who lose games, but it is the official seal of disapproval for West Ham.

Their mentality needs to change asap. Which is a billion times easier said than done. It’s up to Grant to do this.

Wigan is a team that the Hammers have had good fortunes against at Upton Park. It would be great if the tradition continues. But, as someone sitting far far away from making a decision, I would be looking to insert the players with the right mentality. Make them play a more structured system. Less creative freedom, more responsible in their own end, and worry about defense first. And for god’s sake play with two strikers.

I doubt there will be any huge names joining this team during the window in January. Let alone anyone who can provide a significant spark. Gold and Sullivan will definitely float the big names out there as they always do. At best, I see them trying for a player who can’t crack the starting lineup in the Netherlands, France or Germany. Problem is I think they can only take one more loaned player, which means they’ll have to buy. Their best luck would be to clone Parker, age him 20 years and have him suit up for the remainder of the season or fall backwards into finding the same thing Tevez provided in their great escape of 2007 (minus the scandal).

It’s only November and it’s already a long season, ugh…

6. Arthur says:

I have been watching West Ham one way or another since the early ’50′s. I would not go to West Ham now free of charge thanks, even if I was offered an executive box. Grant would not have been my choice, but how many would have wanted the job given the new board in charge anyway? Managers of all Premiership teams are in a massive win,win, situation. All the rubbish talked about pressure sickens me, none are in the real world of employment, they cannot lose whatever happens. There are not to many 4 or 5 year contracts handed out in the real world of employment where staff earn even less than £15,000 per year,where you can be as useless as you like, turn up for work late, lay in your sick bed for an eternity & stil get paid in full, but in the Premiership world of football that’s exactly what you can do, only the pay is rather better! West Ham it seems, can be a convalescent home for some players.

• Brian Lloyd says:

My team have been glued to the bottom of the Premiership Table pretty much all season, I’ve never been sure about Avram Grant. Ok, he took Chelsea to the Champions League final, but I kind of think that was of his predesessors quality, not Grants. Pompey were last all season last year, yes it was tough there but I beleive his time is now long gone. I don’t usually get on the ‘sack the manager’ crusades, but I now reckon it’s time for change. And quickly please.

7. brn442 says:

Agreed Gaffer, Grant should be sacked ASAP. I like the man and wished him the best after the nonsense he has had to deal with at his last two clubs but based on WH’S performance at Anfield, in addition your spot on reasons, there was something that was even more glaring – the team was clearly under coached, especially in defence. The players’ tactical and positional acumen was practically nil – what on earth are they doing on their training pitch in midweek? Clearly nothing related with football.