SAT, 7:45AM ET
BARCA1
SAT, 12:30PM ET
SWA2
LEI0

Premier League Sunday, Gameweek 11: Open Thread

Premier League Sunday, Gameweek 11: Open Thread

There’s not just one massive game today in the Premier League. There are three. The first features Arsenal at home against Newcastle United. A couple of weeks ago, Arsenal cruised to a 4-0 victory at St. James’s Park in the Carling Cup, but I have a feeling that today’s match will be much closer and Newcastle will be fired up to try to enact revenge. A win for Newcastle will move them into fifth position. A win for Arsenal and they’ll be in joint second position in the league table.

The second match may be the most intriguing one of the day as West Bromwich Albion host Manchester City at The Hawthorns. This could be a high scoring match with plenty of entertainment in store. It’ll be interesting to see how Manchester City plays especially after they’ve lost a few matches in a row. Will the players come out fighting to show how much they believe in Roberto Mancini? Or will West Bromwich Albion play them off the park with a better team cohesiveness? It’ll definitely be a must-watch match in my opinion.

Last but not least, there’s the match between Liverpool and Chelsea. Although I think the Blues will eventually win this one today, I wouldn’t be surprised if Liverpool will give Chelsea a few scares. The confidence in the Reds is definitely building and they’re starting to play the level of football that we expect from Liverpool sides. Whether that’s enough to make a difference against Chelsea, I doubt it. But stranger things have happened in football before.

Before, during or after today’s matches, feel free to use the comments section below as an open thread to discuss the games, rant about your teams or use it to ask questions. Here’s to a wonderful Sunday of football, real football.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Premier League Sunday, Gameweek 11: Open Thread

1. Patricio del Orsay says:

Not watching, but based on what the Guardian says, here come the “Flappyhandski” references again…

2. BA14 says:

FoxsoccerTV is ticking me off. the announcer is 3 seconds ahead of the action on the field.

• the thing is says:

I’m having the same problem both with Google Chrome and Firefox…so it seems to be Fox Soccer and not our browsers. Sad considering what we are paying.

I either have to mute the sound and just watch without volume or I am hearing what is happening well before I actually see it.

• The Gaffer says:

Same here. Very frustrating!

3. RVPFan says:

Not to take anything away from Newcastle as they defended brilliantly, but this is just an absolute shocker from Arsenal. This clearly shows every game in the Premier League is a big game. Easy games are only in paper. Need to take every game like it’s Chelsea game from here on out to come anything close to Top 3 finish.

4. Jim says:

Chelsea go down early 1-0. Was reading this and looked up when I heard the announcer get excited. Missed the pass, but saw the ball trickle in. Could this be the game where Torres gets back on the horse and plays to the level everyone expects?

• jbm says:

He’s been playing well enough the past 20 minutes. I don’t think we can say for sure after one game, but if we see him performing again on Wednesday I’d totally agree with you.

• Jim says:

2 goals today now, not much to say besides he’s getting back into form. The 2nd was an excellent goal between the two defenders. Brilliant goal. Looking like Chelsea is going to have a big hole to dig out of. I’m thinking Drogba will be coming on in the 2nd half.

5. Jim says:

Just got chills down my spine hearing “The Fields of Athenry” in the background of the match. One of my favorite songs to hear.

6. Patricio del Orsay says:

And heeeeere come the Torres-is-back stories…

7. jbm says:

Torres hat trick today? I see one coming. He’s in great form, lets hope he can keep it up beyond the first half and after the this game.

8. jose says:

is it me or does howard webb look like mr. clean.

9. Allen Nguyen says:

Disappointed, really, by the Blue performance. But I’m sort of alright understanding that certain players have not been 100% since the end of August when Lamps was injured. Today, we were handicapped by Drogs and Malouda who weren’t 100% and by the fact that we were without Essien AND Lampard.

I see a very disturbing problem with our play, especially in the midfield. In this match and in the Blackburn match last week, we consistently gave away little balls in midfield allowing our opponents space to run. I think that, ever since Lamps went out injured, we haven’t been as rock solid in midfield and Ash hasn’t been playing as far left as possible. I CANNOT underscore how much I am looking forward to having Lampard back in the side, as our play just has not been the stuff of champions lately.

And as for Torres, there is no doubt that he is a class striker, but it gets a little annoying when people use a single match as a gauge for him “returning”. If he nets in the next two or three matches, then I’ll bite, but for the moment, I see a striker tapping into a vein of form. He isn’t at that level in which we can say he is utterly returned to his 2008-2009 performances.

• Up the Chels! says:

Based on the way we played today, fair result to Liverpool. As for Torres, he was brilliant today. Full credit to Torres for his two goals. However, give him 4 or 5 more games and his hamstring will go again. Then he’ll be sidelined for a few months. Just the way it goes with him.

10. UpTheBlues says:

ARGH. Fricking crap.
    We’ll bounce back. But I’m seriously concerned about our midfield.

• Up the Chels! says:

The more I watch Ramires the more concerned I get. He’s a workhorse but gives away WAY too many simple balls. He also seems to be overwhelmed by the pace and pressure when he is on the ball. Maybe in a few seasons he can settle but this season he seems to be more of a liability than an asset.

11. I have just watched the Liverpool v Chelsea game, great entertainment and it looks like Liverpool are geting confidence back s their season starts here

12. Yespage says:

Liverpool looked great today. Last week, they pulled it off against Bolton. This week, they take down Chelsea. 6 pts in the last two weeks. Not too common for L’pool this season. Hopefully this becomes a trend.

Meanwhile, another Stoke City game can be used as evidence as to why goal line reviews should take place.