WED, 2:45PM ET
WED, 2:45PM ET
ROMA
CSKA
WED, 2:45PM ET
ATH
SHA

Roberto Mancini Heading For The Sack?

Roberto Mancini Heading For The Sack?
Life in charge of the world’s wealthiest football club was never going to be easy for Roberto Mancini. Ever since arriving at Eastlands last December, there has always been the sense that the Italian is a couple of bad results away from the chop. Well after City’s back-to-back defeats against Arsenal and Wolves these bad results have arrived.

I’m not saying that Mancini will be getting sacked on Monday morning, but with City eight points adrift of Chelsea after just ten games; you have to feel that Mancini desperately needs to see an immediate improvement in results.

But this won’t be easy. After a tricky trip to Poland to take on Lech Poznan in the Europa League, City face the tough task of a visit to the Hawthorns and an inform West Brom side. After that comes the biggest game of all as Manchester United make the trip across to Eastlands.

By all accounts that is three very tough games for Mancini to navigate, and if City were to have fallen further away from Chelsea at the end of the Manchester derby, you have to feel that Sheikh Mansour will call the end of the Italians tenure.

Mancini though claims he does not fear the sack, but did apologise to City fans for what he called the worst performance from his side this season. He said “I do not feel the pressure, I am not worried about that [the sack]. But of course we have to win these games, because we are a very good team.

“I am very sorry for the supporters. We played very well but only for the first 15 minutes. It was not good enough but I don’t know why. I must talk to the players and find out what happened because we shouldn’t play like that. I am very disappointed but I will find out why we played so badly.”

Mancini is obviously going to put on a brave face, but his interview after the Wolves defeat really did suggest that he is feeling the pressure. I have no doubt that with his squad he can turn it around, but whether he will get given the time to improve things on the pitch is another question. Patience is a thing that is desperately lacking in football, and Mancini needs to act quickly to save his job.

What do you think? Is Mancini heading for the City exit door?

23 Responses to Roberto Mancini Heading For The Sack?

1. jimbob says:

I like Mancini but I think he got it completely wrong yesterday. Bringing on Zabaleta for Adebayor when were chasing the game just doesn’t add up. And I agree that Johnson should have started, or at least been brought on sooner. However, having said this, I think there are a few players in the City team that couldn’t care less. Gareth Barry seems to have an automatic place in the side and I personally think he should be moved on. Since the World Cup, Barry has lost his form and now seems to want to ‘party’ instead of resting and preparing properly for his next game. While the buck stops with Mancini, it’s time some of the players took a long hard look at themselves. They’ve let their manager down, their team down and themselves down. City’s moto is ‘Pride In Battle’. I’m sorry but there was not one ounce of pride displayed by the City players this weekend.

• I agree 100% with jimbob. Why does Gareth Barry seem to have a preordained starting place in the City XI? He’s playing TERRIBLE football at the moment, with his first instinct seeming to consist solely of playing a sideways or back pass…. I’ve been writing on my blog for weeks that Mancini needs to get more Adam Johnson and David Silva, and less Gareth Barry on the pitch. Unfortunately, Mancini can’t seem to overcome his Italian past — and I’m not sure he has the personnel to play “il cantennacio,” or that the strategy will even work in a wide open EPL. We’ve seen other famous coaches change their style with new players (Jose Mourinho at Real, anyone?), but Mancini seems completely incapable of making this change. He has a ton of attacking talent that he seems afraid to release — and for this alone he should be shown the door.

2. Why? says:

It was a bad performance with Barry, Yaya and Richards being very bad indeed and the fact being they were beaten. In City’s defence though they still had more shots off and on target more possession and corners as well as setting both goals up for Wolves on another day they could have won with these stats but they didn’t. The cost of the City players dictates that this is not acceptable as they are supposed to be far superior to teams like Wolves who are on much smaller budgets, but they have been playing well recently and not got what they deserved against Utd & Chelsea. As for Mancini being even near the sack I think your way off the mark, they are still in the top 4 on merit and I think will be there in may with the competition not looking that good either.
    The wolves game I see as a slip up the Arsenal game ruined by a sxxt Ref.
    They need to win there next 2 games (West Brom & Utd) though other wise the heat will be on.

3. Tom Hingley says:

No mention of how superbly Wolves played, and have been playing recently?

Completely false position in the league.

• Why? says:

Tom the title of the article is ‘Roberto Mancini Heading For The Sack?’ and not ‘How superbly did Wolves play’.
      If City are in a false position you surely must mean their next nearest opponents Spurs should be ahead of them and that there performances against Utd, West Ham loss and home draw at Everton were some how better than City’s this season? Or that West Brom will beat Blackpool on Monday and stay 4th for the rest of the season and that they both some how deserve to be above City. Why not just be done with it and take all City‘s points off them?

• table doesnt lie says:

they played well but there is no false position u actually lost those games u are where u belong

• Why? says:

If you meant Wolves being in a false position then I lean to wards the guy above playing well does not mean points. Sorry Tom all the best for the season though I think your team gets a rough ride as in that plebs like Wenger with his comments regarding tackling etc.

• Tom Hingley says:

Sorry, yes just to qualify I meant Wolves are in a false position. I accept what you say about points = prizes though! Hopefully though, with the performances stabilised, the points will begin to flow!

With regards to City, like Noz, I too see massive similarities between the two sides. Similar silverwear – all of which in the long distant past, both clubs have been right down to rock bottom and back again, proper supporters, years of underachievement etc.

For those reasons, I see City as a ‘proper club’ (I’m sure like many fans, I just have an impression from years of following of who are ‘proper’ clubs and not – very unscientific, but not without merit). My only worry if I was a City fan, is that the club is becoming somewhat disliked – due to the money. I know this is not something that can be helped, but as I have experienced in recent weeks with Wolves being labelled ‘dirty’ – it really isn’t nice being disparaged by the football world. We all seek respect afterall.

4. Noz says:

We cannot just expect to turn up on our nice fat salaries and turn teams like Wolves over. If I was a Wolves fan, I would have just loved it yesterday. Over half of their players are from the Championship and their financial resources are a fraction of ours. Without Tevez and De Jong we appeared to have no heart or passion in our play and bearing in mind all the media focus on Barry, Hart and Johnson last week, this was a result waiting to happen.Kompany looked unhappy throughout and I would imagine he has his own thoughts about the lack of professionalism of some of the players. What bothered me more about the Scotish episode was not particularly the drinking but the stories of Barry parading bundles of £50 notes and claiming we will win the title this year.Well I am afraid that that has come back to haunt him. Money aside we don’t have a god given right to win matches we have to earn this. I hope our players take stock of themselves today and determine to put things right and concentrate on what they are paid handsomely to do, and that is to give 100% to the club and their loyal fans otherwise, a new Manager may be on the cards, which personally I think would be a disaster.

5. Noz says:

Tom, no disrespect to your boys or your supporters. Yes, you did yourself proud yesterday and showed an excellent team spirit. Also you are a good team and have been unlucky in some of your results this season. Despite our new found wealth, Wolves and City have a lot in common in their histories. Both have a fanatically loyal fan base and both clubs have underperformed for some time. Well your boys are trying to stop that and if you keep playing like that I hope a mid table finish is on the cards. From our point of view we are looking for our new players to show their passion for our club so that there fat salaries are justified. We will get it right in the end!

6. BBC says:

They’re top 4 still, right?

7. Shay says:

Isn’t the title/subject of this piece a bit reactionary? This is also a City team that beat Chelsea. If we want to discuss City’s form and how Mancini’s tactical choices have been far too conservative for his squad’s good, then let’s do that. But let’s not have EPL Talk devolve into the new Goal.com. Thanks.

8. d rock says:

yeah, sack mancini and bring in maradona. that would be sooooo city

the reason they can’t win a damn thing is they are too impatient with their managers. one should be allowed time to get a team set up and get the players to buy into their system.

but, the bitters hate of the reds clouds their thinking. if you’re not ahead of United by x-mas, you’re gone.

• Love the Glazers bringing bankruptcy to a club near Manchester says:

An article on City and discussion of Saturdays game against Wolves with some constructive comments from City and Wolves fans then what do you get? Then what do you get? The City obssessed rags buy one get a massive number of other glory hunter City obssessives free telling us that City are finished when the rot for the Worlds biggest football debt has only just begun. Go back to the swamp with all the other creatures of the night and let real football fans talk about real football clubs not SOCCER or the Trafford Red Sox.

9. geoff says:

I dont like the way city let teams like WBA, Blackpool and Wolves dominate all 50-50 balls, passing abillity and hunger for winning while we just labour in our own half. with 5 mins left in a match we always seem not to go forward and attack it only takes a minute to score a goal and with additional time it is possible to score 3. In every match every city team must ensure that we get a winning goal before the 90 minutes are up and settle for nothing less at home or away, we should be scaring teams off not handing results on a plate for them whoever we play….
    As for sacking Mancini I think it would be a major step backwards unless Jose Mourinho is 100% interested in the job and will be fully committed to city….

10. Sir Guy says:

http://epltalk.com/manchester-citys-roberto-mancini-must-go-23290 ;-)

They sit in fourth place after ten matches. I don’t see the problem, yet. However, I also don’t understand how Adam Johnson ever, and I mean ever, sits on the bench.

Roberto—-call me @ 1-800-hot seat

11. Mancini looks a man under pressure and a man feeling the stress of his job. The Tevez issue must be very testing as he is a fans favourite so replacing wil be hard yet their relationship clearly doesn’t work

12. Vious says:

The problem with City is that their locker room continues to be the most unstable locker room in Europe

Tons of egos, a light-hearted manager, and zero consistency

• Love the Glazers bringing bankruptcy to a club near Manchester says:

Whereas things at MoanU are going swimmingly right? Ask Evra about that for example?

• Why? says:

Why stop at Evra, Vidic just pulled there pants down for a mega contract and so did Rooney he also said that they have no ambition and he wanted to leave! Such harmony in the Utd ‘locker room’ eh. What about Anderson’s big mouth or when he shoots off to brazil without permission when he’s a bit lonely. Vious is a guy who reads the no stop rubbish gutter press about City, maybe he chooses to ignore the facts about Utd.

13. Buck says:

Bobby Manc hasn’ t manage to implement an efficient style of play
    There’s a lot of talent on this team and yet come playing time there’s nothing but physical presence but no real style of play
    Besides Bobby is expensive …too expensive!!!
    Bear in mind that he’s paid more than “The Special One” and that in itself is a smack in Mou’s face
    Wenger, Hiddink , Ancelotti are better trainers managers and tacticians !
    I think that City can win the EPL albeit with a better manager

14. munkey1980 says:

City are this season building – a cup win and champions league place would be a strong success, to be champions will take time with the amount of new additions, mancini needs that time – visit http://www.premiershippassions.info for premiership blogs incl weekend review and team of season so far…..

15. Iffy says:

roberto mancini ione you liveing man city and i one you tel man city owner plz mancini. i one get mark hughes back