Wayne Rooney Confirms His Desire to Leave Man United

Wayne Rooney Confirms His Desire to Leave Man United

Wayne Rooney today released an official statement confirming his desire to leave Manchester United, as well as sharing his thoughts on what Sir Alex Ferguson said in his press conference yesterday.

Here’s Rooney’s statement in full:

“I met with David Gill last week and he did not give me any of the assurances I was seeking about the future squad. I then told him that I would not be signing a new contract.”

“I was interested to hear what Sir Alex had to say yesterday and surprised by some of it. It is absolutely true, as he said, that my agent and I have had a number of meetings with the club about a new contract. During those meetings in August I asked for assurances about the continued ability of the club to attract the top players in the world.”

“I have never had anything but complete respect for MUFC. How could I not have done given its fantastic history and especially the last six years in which I have been lucky to play a part?”

“For me its all about winning trophies – as the club has always done under Sir Alex. Because of that I think the questions I was asking were justified.”

“Despite recent difficulties, I know I will always owe Sir Alex Ferguson a huge debt. He is a great manager and mentor who has helped and supported me from the day he signed me from Everton when I was only 18.”

“For Manchester United’s sake I wish he could go on forever because he’s a one?off and a genius.”

So far, I would give the PR advantage to Ferguson. Rooney, in his above statement, dances around the issue of why he wants to leave United. He mentions that he did not get any assurances he was seeking about the future squad, but doesn’t mention money which I would believe would be the main factor in Rooney wishing to leave.

What type of assurances is Rooney seeking about the future squad? Or is that ‘newspeak’ for assurances of getting more moola?

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Wayne Rooney Confirms His Desire to Leave Man United

1. Matt says:

“Assurances” sounds like a euphamism for “Ownership has recently sold Carlos Tevez and Cristiano Ronaldo for a combined 100m quid, and so far I’ve not seen one dime of that money spent on a first team regular. Combine that with SAF’s pending retirement and the volcanish ashcloud-esque spectre of debt, I’m concered that ManU – when compared to Chelsea, Man City, Madrid and Barca – aren’t all that committed to winning.”

Seems reasonable to me.

• The Gaffer says:

But what other team is going to give him assurances? If he stays at United, he’s guaranteed a starting spot and the star status as long as he stays on top of his game. If he goes anywhere else like Man City, Real Madrid or Barcelona, there’s no guarantee he’ll even start because they have strikers who are just as good as him. Sure, those clubs will give him assurances that they’ll buy more players, but is that what Rooney really wants? Man United has been extremely successful.

• Andrei says:

Maybe Rooney knows something that MU fans don’t – exactly how deep is the hole United are in…

• Lyle says:

Enh… Rooney strikes me as not the smartest bloke. So like he’d know… particularly about an Glazer related issues.

• Andrei says:

Rooney maybe not the smartest bloke but his agent is. And the agent advised his client to jump the ship.

• Jay says:

When it comes to publicity statements and pro sports, everyone is speaking to cover their own best interests. That applies to club as well as athlete.

Of course you’re right, Gaffer. Man U has been extremely successful. Leeds Uninted had been extremely successfull too.

Now, look, I’m not jumping on the ManU is going to implode bandwagon. But for the sake of argument, lets take Rooney at his word. Protestations aside, Man U seems to be in a bit of a spot. There have been high profile exits, with no high profile replacements. The club is under a mountain of debt. To top it all off, he has had just about every success possible at ManU. If ever there was a time to walk, this seems to be it, no?

I don’t think for a minute that his desire to leave really has to do with some tiff with SAF. But no matter what the reasons he gives, how could anyone be under the illusion that the man who wore a “Once a blue, always a blue” t-shirt would be loyal? Everton wasn’t getting him where he wanted to be, so he jumped ship. Now he feels (rightly or wrongly) that Man U is on the downhill slide, and he wants out. Why is anyone surprised?

• Hussain says:

Its October. It doesn’t make any sense. if he wants to go, he should’ve said so during the summer or at least wait till the end of December. I heard that he could buy his contract for 5 millions and wait until the summer window to open and become kind of a free agent.

If he said he wants to go during the summer(outside England), some of the fans will understand. The problem is the timing of the whole thing.

• Bishopville Red says:

According to everything coming out, he did state his intentions in the Summer. Looks like it’s come to a head though.

There is a clause that lets guys buy out their contracts under certain conditions, but it rarely if ever happens. Why? GREEDY BASTARDS WON’T PART WITH THEIR MONEY!

• Living off Reputation says:

Are u suggesting that Rooney should stay in the comfort zone and not fight for a place? Wheres the challenge? he might as well sign for a championship team if he just wants a guaranteed place..Man Utd “has been” exactly has beens.

• The Gaffer says:

I’m suggesting that Rooney stays in the comfort zone of Manchester United and challenges himself to perform at the highest level to try to win the Champions League and Premier League title for United. That is a mighty challenge but even that one he’s not up to.

• Matt says:

Obviously no player can ever be fully assured of their place, but I can certainly understand the argument that other clubs are doing more to win trophies than United. The point someone made below re: Leeds is certainly a stretch, but the truth of the matter is that United are drowning in debt and not investing in new blood.

• David says:

Gaffer,

What I want to know is why you and many others in this thread feelt that Rooney is leaving over contract issues and club future? He is clearly out of form and therefore out of favor, that was the original root of all suspicion regarding his “falling out” with Fergie and United.

I feel that this whole “is the club committed to the future” nonsense is just an excuse for him to leave due to some other problem internally. Afterall, if he can’t start over an in form Berba and Chicarito, what makes all of you (or him) think he can walk into Madrid or City?

I think this statement was well-written to hide any true feelings and reasons as to why he’s leaving. He finally got called out for sucking and screwing and now he’s trying to leave out of spite and revenge.

• The Gaffer says:

Hi David, I never thought Rooney was leaving over contract issues or the club future. Quite the contrary. I think it’s driven by him wanting to earn money, but the deep underlying reason may be that he’s trying to run away. I don’t imagine Fergie was too sympathetic regarding Rooney’s indiscretions. So Rooney probably feels he’s in between a rock and a hard place right now, and the easy option is to declare that he wants to get out.

2. goalz says:

Maybe he should try to play for another country too, since THEY aren’t doing enough to support HIM. Yeah right, how about actually show up and do something for your club and country instead of having to rely on others to win.

3. Bishopville Red says:

Rooney is supposed to be the go-to guy, not the one who follows. The assurances of success for a guy who is supposed to have the world by the balls is his presence, not the presence of others.

“MUFC don’t match my ambition.” If that’s the case, you ambitions simply can’t be met. Glazers are scum – that won’t change. throwing this out is a convenient and and a weak attempt to mask the greed that’s driving this.

4. ChelseaMPLS says:

Who is the girl in the picutre ? Damn

5. Scott says:

Look at the guy in the 2nd row not exactly hiding where he’s looking… Thats classic

6. Dave says:

Maybe Arsenal? With Van Persie always hurt he could be effective there, Arsenal also have the money and means to keep him. I don’t think they would but it would be interesting to see Walcott, Wilshere and Rooney as the future of Arsenal.

• The Gaffer says:

Rooney would be a perfect player for Arsenal that would turn them into title challengers if Roo was able to play at his top form. I don’t see Wenger signing him though.

• Brandon says:

Not only would they not pay the transfer fee. The wages Rooney would demand would turn off Wenger.

• Simon Burke says:

Wouldn’t want him at Arsenal. Foul mouthed and disloyal muppet. Great player – but his off the field shenanigans, the manner he is leaving United and his big drop in form make him far too big a gamble. We had a dislikable muppet in Adebayor – I dont want another.
          He’ll be off to City and that’s that. Fergie I think will be gone in May.
          United have some real turmoil to come.

• Dave says:

It stands to reason that he’s looking for a fresh start and with that he’d have his stuff together.

I just think the team has lacked a player of his caliber since Henry left. Also he likes playing with Wilshere, Ramsey, Walcott etc.

It would also take the sting out of the inevitable leaving of Fabregas.

Arsenal can afford it, why wouldn’t they get one of the world’s best strikers? I’d love to see Walcott grow into it but who is to say he couldn’t with Rooney there as well?

• robert says:

amen gaffer. and lord knows van p is going to last a month on the field before his next year-long injury. skilled man. fragile though. arsenal need a bully for a striker.

7. Clearly this is the work of Rooney’s advisors but you can certainly see their point and if you can see something is in decline then get out at the top. Where to now for Rooney though, it sounds like he fancies City

8. Morph says:

He met with his agent for several hours before this statement was released, these are not his words or feelings. Not putting the guy down, but he isn’t the best educated and couldn’t possibly come up with this. It is widely known that several of his team mates (owen, ferdinand) were disgusted with his behaviour and the subsequent revalations about his private life. He has lost weight and is in poor form and some within the playing staff are questioning his belief. These are the reasons he wants out, he can’t do criticism and is spitting his dummy. MCFC don’t want him, go elsewhere for his divorce funds. Watch this space!!

9. JC says:

He can fancy City all he wants (not sure he fancies any particular destination over another, since his reasons for leaving are likely not that discriminating – who pays is probably who he’ll fancy, no?) – I don’t see Mancini and the Sheik being inclined to add him to their mix.

10. New Moja says:

I was disappointed when I read Rooney’s statement. To me, it sounds like he’s saying “I want to earn A LOT more money, and Manchester United are not ‘ambitious’ enough to give me what I want”.

I think Javier Hernandez will turn out to be a very good player for Manchester United. We don’t ALWAYS have to sign the most expensive players in the world.

By saying that we are not an ambitious club, Rooney has insulted his manager (how many trophies has Ferguson won again?), his team-mates, and his soon-to-be-former club.

11. robert says:

I know it’s a near-impossibility, but OH GOD MAKE HIM A GUNNER.

12. Charles says:

Given his personal habits, his petulant me-first attitude and most of all, his utter lack of production and drive on the pitch since last March, I would say “be careful what you wish for” to any of his suitors…because you just might get it.

Rooney can be an great player…when Wayne Rooney wants to be one. Problem is, at his salary rate, his new club is going to expect him to give his all every match. That’s just not his style.