FRI, 2:30PM ET
SWA
SAT, 12:30PM ET
ARS
MUFC

Bale Shines As Tottenham Show Heart

Bale Shines As Tottenham Show Heart
It was expected that up to 15,000 Spurs fans would make the trip over to Milan for the glamour tie of Tottenham’s Champions League campaign. Well after a disastrous first half that saw the current tournament holders Inter Milan blast four goals past a beleaguered Spurs,  many would have been forgiven for thinking they had a made a wasted trip.

But typical of the spirit that Harry Redknapp has instilled in the squad since his arrival in 2008, Spurs rallied in the second half with Gareth Bale scoring a stunning hat-trick. While they may not have been able to complete the comeback, their display will certainly give them confidence ahead of Inter’s visit to White Hart Lane in a fortnight.

It was Bale though who will really have emerged from the San Siro with his confidence boosted. The former Southampton man has come on leaps and bounds over the last 12 months, and his second half display today was arguably his finest in a Tottenham shirt.

Spurs boss Harry Redknapp believes that Bale can only continue to develop and insists that he has no intention to cash in on his prized asset. It is understood that Inter made an enquiry for Bale during the summer only to see this quickly rejected.

Redknapp said:”It was a fantastic hat-trick from Gareth. If Tottenham sell Gareth Bale now, it would send out the wrong signals; it would be a club that was a selling club.

“He is a player that we hope to build a team around. He signed a new contract at the club and, hopefully, he’ll be here for a good few years to come. If Tottenham progress and become a Champions League team on a regular basis, he’ll become a big part of the team.”

The news will come as big relief for Tottenham fans who have seen several big stars move on over the last few seasons. During his Southampton days Bale showed his obvious class, but after moving to Tottenham his progress stalled somewhat.

However during the later stages of last season, and already so far this campaign Bale is really establishing himself as a key part of the Spurs side, and in many ways I think Redknapp is doing Bale a injustice by saying he is already not a big part of the team.

How good can Bale be is another question, but all the abilities are there and he is now proving he can do it at the very top level. Can Bale go on to be a genuine star? Well if he can keep producing the same levels of quality that he produced against Inter, there really could be no stopping him.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Bale Shines As Tottenham Show Heart

1. john says:

Just ordered a Bale jersey last night. So here’s hoping for him not being sold for a while.

• Patrick says:

Amen to that, I just got my Champions Cup Jersey with Bale on it. I really hope Real dosen’t grab him. It already hurts to see Ozil (who I really like) playing with Ronaldo, I would hate to see Bale on that team too.

2. Clampdown says:

He has quickly become one of the top 10, if not five, best players in the league. Those who were saying just last month on this site that he wouldn’t be good enough to play for Real Madrid are dead wrong, in my opinion. And I’m not even a Spurs fan. I saw him up close in two matches this season, as my seats are first row at Red Bull Arena and couldn’t believe how quick and skilled he is. He was by far the best player in that tournament, and I haven’t seen anything since that doesn’t make me think he’d be a huge asset to any club.

I hope for Spurs’ sake he stays, but I think it is unlikely, unless they make a long run at the CL trophy or a certain club that wears blue doesn’t throw a ridiculous amount of cash at him.

3. SantaClaus says:

Gareth Bale seems like he is a level-headed person that won’t jump ship to another club just for the money. As long as he is a starter at Spurs and they continue to improve I think he’ll stay. I think he is at the right type of club to be appreciated and he will have the stage to showcase his talents as long as Spurs continue to play in Europe.

4. Gareth van der King says:

Best left sided player in Europe.
    Could play in any team, yes including Real, Barca etc…
    Luckily he’s a Yid and hopefully will be for a few more years.
    He will leave one day and the good news is he’ll fetch 40M+.
    Hopefully by then we will be a fixture in the CL.
    COYS!!!!!

5. Thomas says:

Bale looked great yesterday, and has for some time now.

Yes the goals will fetch a majority of the head lines…but what really impressed me was the frequency with which he undressed Maicon on the left, who is arguably the best in his position. For a young player like Bale to come on in such a big game, and have no qualms about taking on a world class defender is a great sign for him and Spurs.

The injuries to Spurs back line reared their ugly head, however. Hutton looked a little bit out of place most of the night. Gallas and Basson seemed off in their communication, and were carved up multiple times. Assou-Ekotto was wrong footed a few times, and his error ultimately on Inter’s 2nd goal cost Spurs dearly.

I still think Spurs will get through to the knockout stages. And they will be a force to be reckoned with. If they can sort out the center of defense I could see them reach the last 8 of the CL. They looked strong on the wings, and it would have been nice to see them play full sided to see the link up play between Modric and Crouch.