SUN, 11AM ET
WED, 2:45PM ET
ARS
GAL
WED, 2:45PM ET
BAS
LFC

Where Will Wayne Rooney Go?

Where Will Wayne Rooney Go?
Sir Alex Ferguson has today revealed that Wayne Rooney wants to leave Manchester United. The shock announcement will set the transfer rumour mill in to overdrive but where is the most likely destination for the England striker?

Manchester City

The very thought of Rooney in a sky blue shirt is probably enough to make most United fans turn red with rage. But if there is any club in the world that could afford Rooney it is City, and what a coup he would be. Whether Sir Alex Ferguson would allow his prize asset to move across Manchester is another question, but if City really wanted him, could they persuade United to sell?  If Wayne Rooney is purely after a pay day this could be the move for him.

Chelsea

Another destination which is perhaps a little far-fetched. While there is no doubt that Roman Abramovich could afford him, it is highly unlikely that Ferguson would happily sell his star player to United’s biggest rivals for the Premier League. But if Chelsea do want Rooney then again it may be  a question of name your price.

Real Madrid

In my opinion the most likely destination for Rooney. Jose Mourinho has often revealed his admiration for the former Everton man, and again they would have no problem funding a move. Ferguson has often sold to Real in the past, so if they are interested, I’d expect Rooney to join the Spanish giants, but there will be doubts whether Rooney’s intense game would fit in with the slow tempo of the Spanish League.

Barcelona

Madrid’s main rivals could also provide a new home for the Rooney family. Pep Guardiola is another known admirer of the striker, but with Barcelona already boasting an impressive array of forwards, and the club in huge debt, could they really justify a massive outlay on Rooney?

Those four clubs aside personally I don’t see many other potential destinations for Rooney. Italy is an obvious option, but with Serie A seemingly a step down from the Premier League I can’t see Rooney wanting to move there.

What do you think? Where will Wayne Rooney go?

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL, Manchester United. Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to Where Will Wayne Rooney Go?

1. Jeff says:

He can go to hell. I’m through with him.

2. You forgot to mention that Madrid can offer out-of-place striker Karim Benzema as a makeweight. The real question, though, is whether anyone would make a move for Rooney now, when they can get him for far less in the summer:

3. Charles says:

Rooney is a spoilt child who has not produced on the pitch, in his marriage or in his honor.

One penalty kick goal in the Premiership this year? Sure, Wazza, that’s worth more than 30 million quid a season. Add another PK kick or two and the bonus money can make you a wealthy man, one that can afford your smokes, your beers and of course your “escorts.”

United is smart not to reward this man-child with more money.

4. Marc says:

United will never sell to a rival EPL club. So City & Chelski supporters can forget about him coming. I believe he will end up at Real Madrid, but not until the summer. Besides the club he is going to, and Everton since they get a % of the transfer wage, the Glazer’s will be the only ones benefiting from the sale. No money will go to bolster the squad. The club I love is going to be no longer the biggest club in the world.
    LUHG

• Drew says:

Is this a chance for Liverpool’s new owner to show he means business and finally establish a partner in crime for Torres? Add the bonus of Rooney sticking it to Man Utd and it would be a done deal.

5. ChicagoBrian says:

I would say Real, makes sense with a possible switch of Benzema too. Very surprised at how all this has gone down, especially looking back a year to where he was. Really a shock, I’ve been big into Man Utd and EPL really only since 2006 but did not see this coming. Think they can certainly win without him though, Berbatov has stepped up and Chicharito looks good, and of course SAF knows how to build a winner! Time for Suarez to come too!

6. Jeff says:

Charles,
    If there’s one thing Robinho has proven it’s that you don’t actually have to produce on the pitch (or off) to be overpriced in the market.

7. Vious says:

Like was said, I just see no way Chelsea is in this

I think Ferg may deep down like sending him to City where United has owned them and he knows they would STILL beat them

Real just seems a bit too much for me…….Barca won’t be able to get him with their financial issues

8. Paul says:

Anyone still think Rooney plays football just because he loves the game? Thought not, this shows that the money in football today has ruined the game and that players are now money motivated!!

• Scott says:

you can switch the name and people have been saying the same thing since the 1800s. money has been with football since the beginning

9. Terry says:

Rooney will leave for another league. His style of play is not well-suited for LaLiga or Serie A. He is best suited for the Bundesliga but no club there will be able to afford him, both in terms of his wage demands and possible transfer fee. That said I’m still not convinced that he will leave United. January is still more than two months away and there will be more twists and turns in this saga to be played out till then.

• Sir Guy says:

“The only beneficiaries of all this are the media who are loving every minute of it and know that this story will not go away until Rooney signs a new deal to end all the speculation.”

Bingo! Four of the seven stories currently running on the first page of EPlTalk……..with more to come. :-)

10. d rock says:

wasn’t it just this summer he said he wanted to stay at united until the end of his career? what a fat head liar. once a scouse, always a scouse.

i think he will go to madrid, he want out of england and away from his (ex)wife. i hear the hookers over there are great. plus, his boyfriend ronnie is over there. this man has no morals. traitor. judas.

i love how he said he has no ankle injury all season, then at the presser today, SAF says he will miss the CL tie with an ankle injury. priceless.

one thing is for sure, after all the years of man united fans singing his name, YOU SCOUSE BASTARD is the only chant he will hear if he ever pulls on the number 10 shirt again.

11. Why? says:

Just a quick note on your choices James.

Real Madrid have already come out to say they have no interest in buying a striker a couple of days ago in response to the speculation (their manager of football or whatever they call it) also his wife‘s sister is very ill and as he is trying to keep his marriage together a move abroad is unlikely IMO.

Barcelona don’t have the dosh according to many sources on the internet and have the same problem as Real above.

Chelsea might do a deal but Abramovich has been cutting down on spending and has two top class strikers already in Anelka and Drogba why would he need Rooney? Who can expect £200,000 a week plus.

Man City, now I sense mischief in this whole affair and although I’m a City fan I really do feel he is heading our way. Believe me I not that happy about this, I’ll paste a story not from a red top paper but from a reputable newspaper in the UK that was printed in the last few days by the sporting editor no less. Don’t get me wrong I’d much rather have Torres or Dzeko, never the less I think Rooney’s on his way.

Make of this what you will.

12. Robert says:

Serie A a step down? I beg to differ. United’s not going to sell him to City or Chelsea unless they desperately need the cash, which they might. Real Madrid and Barcelona have huge money problems which at some point the banks can’t cover. They would need to unload some players to get him.

The big three in Italy have the financial flexibility to pay him and Inter and Juventus (possibly) have talent enough around him to play at the highest levels. I cover all this at http://www.serieatalk.com.

And of course if he wants to win in the Champions League he’d be well suited to play at Inter, since they’ve done it before.

13. Jeff says:

Rooney is a scum bag. Tells off England fans at World Cup even though the boos were much deserved, cheats more than once on his wife and while she was pregnant, and now all this. I have lost all respect for him and I want him out now.

14. Q says:

Everyone seems to be forgetting that if Ferguson can’t sell him in January then Rooney will be able to buy the last year in his contract for 5 mil and move to whatever team he wants regardless of Ferguson. Manchester City would appear to be a good bet, they could use him.

• Nets says:

Tevez seems really happy and productive now. I don’t see how putting him back in Rooney’s shadow would help City at all.

• Q says:

I think Tevez gets a bit frustrated that he doesn’t have the support he wants to attack efficiently, pairing the two up could produce better results for both players and really give City that attacking edge they need over Chelsea.

15. BBC says:

Looks like he’s already wearing City’s 4th shirt in the picture above.

16. Sir Guy says:

If SAF had a secret plan to bring City down it would be to give them the poisoned pill…..Rooney.

17. Sir Girl says:

Then he’s off to find his marbles.This poisoned pill was your best player a couple of months ago very predictable responses

18. andrew says:

cmon wayne rooney got to go to manchester city.

19. Chris says:

Liverpool. He’ll come to Liverpool.

20. Chris S says:

Those that know the Rooney family situation will know that he’s not going to move anywhere.

Collen’s sister Rosie suffers from Rett’s Syndrome and Colleen looks after her. So there is absolutely no way she’d move anywhere else.

Also Wayne doesn’t really socialise in football circles and keeps a close group of friends and relatives from Liverpool, so he wont be moving anywhere.

That means he’s either decided to move across Manchester to City or he wants to see out his contract and possibly move back to his beloved Everton.

• The Gaffer says:

I don’t see him going back to Everton. I don’t think the Toffees could afford him or his ego. Manchester City, Chelsea or Spurs seem like the logical choices to me.

21. Ardwickian says:

aon,it’s All Over Now.

22. Terry says:

I don’t think Chelsea is an option. I think the only striker they’re looking to grab any time soon is Torres, but they’re willing to wait. Drogba and Anelka are top notch right now.

I think City is likely if all Rooney wants is a paycheck. I’d like to see him move to someone likes Spurs, though. Someone earlier suggested Bundesliga and if money wasn’t Wayne’s number one concern, I think that’d be a terrific fit for him.

23. Shakira says:

City would be stupid to go get him. They are teetering on the verge of not being able to play in Europe once the Financial Fair Play rules come into effect. If they got Rooney they would have no shot at all so why do it. If City do they signed their own death warrant when it comes to European Football.

24. tommy g says:

that caravan from the write the future nike ad
    or wherever has the best brothels… so ajax?

25. tonyspeed says:

FLUSHHHHHHH. There he goes…. I hope he’s not a floater

26. OllieP11 says:

hey guys im a chelsea fan and i personally dont want Rooney because for one hes not our type of player.
    Also with Rooney we would need to start him obviously and that would mean changing our system (which is working very well) and possibly having a negative affect on the truely best striker in the EPL Didier Drogba.

Hell go to Madrid for exchange with Benzema and Diarra

27. ACE says:

As a United fan I’ll be sad to see him go.

On the contrary to what everyone else has said, I genuinely think he’ll go to Chelsea. He won’t leave England due to his wife not wanting to, and her sister who is very ill.

So the only real options for me are City and Chelsea. City would be an awful move for Rooney to make. Sure, he’d be paid more in a week than I’ll probably make in my life, but we’ll never forgive him in the red half of Manchester. We’ll make his life hell. If he wants to get away from the press a bit, and win trophies like he says is the big deal, he has to go to Chelsea, who to be fair have dealt with Cole and Terry’s problems very well, and who have a world class squad.

Hate to say it, but that’s where he’s going. Heard it here first.

28. jd says:

Inter. benitez speaks scouse.