SAT, 7:45AM ET
SAT, 10AM ET
DEP
REAL
SAT, 10AM ET
SWA
SOU

Manchester City To Challenge For The Title?

Manchester City To Challenge For The Title?
They say the sign of a good side is winning when you’re not playing well. If that is the case then Roberto Mancini’s Manchester City could be a real challenger for the Premier League this season after grinding out another result, this time a one goal advantage as City won 3-2 at Premier League new-boys Blackpool.

It’s not the first time this season that City have demonstrated their title credentials by winning a game that in truth they probably didn’t deserve to. Ian Holloway’s side were much then a match for City, but goals from Carlos Tevez and David Silva were eventually enough to see off the spirited Seasiders.

City’s goalscorers demonstrate just how much quality Mancini has at his disposal. In my opinion there would be no manager in the Premier League that wouldn’t trade his squad with that of the Italians.

The strength in depth that City have is unbelievable, and while there may be other teams have stronger starting line-ups, Mancini really does that many options from the bench which really give City a chance of winning the Premier League this season.

City’s key man is Tevez, if he got injured Mancini would look for Emanuel Adebayor or Silva to step in to his shoes. If you look at Manchester United or Chelsea, they simply don’t have anywhere near as much depth to their squads.

I don’t know if City will go on to win the league, but I certainly feel that this season will bring some form of success. I think success for them will represent a title challenge, which in turn could bring help bring the long term success that wealthy owner Sheikh Mansour desperately craves.

Not only will a title challenge give the club a Champions League spot, which would be crucial in their bid to attract the big name signings, but it would also act a real boost to the clubs general demeanor. While there is a real sense of positivity around the club, there is now a need to push for the big honours to keep the momentum going.

But the immediate sings are looking very good for Mancini and with key players like Mario Balotelli still to come back from injury things could only get better for the blue half of Manchester. However the big tests are still ahead for Mancini’s men starting with the visit of Arsenal next weekend.

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL, Manchester City and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Manchester City To Challenge For The Title?

1. JC says:

Final was 3-2.

• Whats the score?? says:

“Manchester City could be a real challenger for the Premier League this season after grinding out another result, this time a 1-0 win at Premier League new-boys Blackpool” ??????????? EPIC FAIL

2. Evan says:

City won’t win the title, but we’ll definitely be around there until the season ends. City’s squad is quite simply, one if the strongest in the world. If we’re still around 2nd place by January, then we could attract even bigger names to the club. It’s going to be an exciting season.

• Rich says:

Strongest in the world? Hardly. Very talented? Yes.
      And I’m sorry to burst your bubble but it really doesn’t matter if you’re still “around 2nd by January”. That’s not going to tempt any even better players over. “Around 2nd by January” doesn’t equal Champions League football by the end of the season so until all the 38 games have been played, those even better players will continue to decline City’s advances. Sorry.

3. Neil Blinston says:

The way this season has gone so far I don’t see any reason why City can’t win the League. The way Arsenal and the rags are performing they don’t look like Champion material and City haven’t as yet been able to put out Mancini’s first choice XI, so it’s us or Chelsea for me and as long as we are on their coat-tails then who knows…. so YES !!

• Duke says:

At this point it looks like a two-horse race: City and Chelsea. If Chelsea can stay healthy and in good form (two BIG Ifs), I think they have an edge over City, because of their experience playing together in recent years.

That said, I don’t think Chelsea can stay healthy and in good form – Witness Anelka the last couple of matches.

So yeah, I think City stands a good chance at the title. I won’t believe Arsenal can take the top spot until they actually do it. They always look good, never come through when things get tough. United has too many problems in addition to Rooney. I think staying in CL territory will be enough of a challenge for them this season.

There’s still a LONG way to go, and a lot could change before Spring. Also, I still hope Tevez dies in a car fire (friggin’ guy makes me nuts), but it’s looking like your year, City fans.

• Thedude says:

I agree Chelsea will have the edge over us but im delighted with the start we have made ..(poor carlos, hes been burned enough for one lifetime) Legend

4. muley says:

Here’s an even bigger question – could Man United miss out on the Champions League places?

With Chelsea favorites for the title, it certainly looks like City, Arsenal and Spurs will push them all the way for the other top four spots.

5. Scott Alexander says:

I’d say Chelsea and probably Man U would be the only squads that definitely wouldn’t swap but you did leave out the apostrophe so maybe you did mean the Italians? In which case I’d still think that Di Matteo would be open to switching squads.

• Why? says:

Take it u haven’t seen United’s squad lately? Because I can’t think of a single midfield player I’d swap with City and in the defence they only have Vidic that I’d even look at, while up front there’s Rooney who looks like he may be gone come January any way. As for the rest I’d stick with the Sky Blue’s all the way.

• Scott Alexander says:

Given the stories concerning further injuries to Chelsea and the headlines concerning Rooney, I think I have to concede that I was wrong. Further, I’m thinking Man City really do have a good chance to take the title. Arsenal seem about as far away as Tottenham. I don’t think Man U is really going to fall out of the top 3 because of Ferguson but the Rooney mess and their poor form doesn’t inspire. Chelsea seem to have a never ending job for the medics: Lampard has been out for 2 weeks more for at least a month, Drogba’s health struggling of late, Benayoun out for 6 months, Alex has been ruled out, Bosingwa just back after a year out, Ramires out, Essien being held out of again, Terry still struggling with back spasms, and the only reserve who has come in and genuinely and consistently inspired has been McEachran.

6. Matt says:

Not saying anything on whether or not they can challenge for the title, but saying a shit performance against a bad team is better than just romping over them is ridiculous.

7. Vious says:

This seems to be a repeat article that makes me chuckle

City wins a big game and THEY ARE READY TO WIN IT ALL!

Then City pulls several draws or losses and people are shocked when they shouldn’t be….they are still a solid, yet far from great team, that has severe ego issues and locker room instability

8. SantaClaus says:

City have a big enough squad with lots of talent to challenge for the title. I believe they will be Chelsea’s biggest rivals this season. Chelsea are still favorites but if they should falter City could take advantage. Of all the teams in the league City have enough depth that could withstand a few injuries without losing much ground. This season will give City the experience they need to become a member of the top 4.