WED, 12PM ET
JUV2
WED, 2:45PM ET
LEV0
MON1

Juan Pablo Angel’s Final RBNY Season Has Come, Not By His Doing

Juan Pablo Angels Final RBNY Season Has Come, Not By His Doing

This season has been a great success for the New York Red Bulls as everyone knows they have went from worst to first within a season and that change in confidence has been amazing with both Hans Back & Eric Soler in charge of the club. At the same time you saw the one player who came over from Aston Villa and a River Plate legend in Argentina who has shown he has plenty in the tank and wants to lead this club to a possible MLS Cup title and future ones as well.

But sadly it looks like he will be leaving this club at the end of the season and it won’t be his doing. After all the rumors and all the reports coming from the internet, podcasts (Including mine) and his apperance on ESPN 2 for the friendly between the USA and Colombia, Juan Pablo Angel’s tenure with the New York Red Bulls is officially over. While all Red Bulls supporters have enjoyed watching this man give his heart & soul to get a win, sadly this is the other side of the business that we hate to see. There has been no negotiating from management. Whatever offers or reduction in price that Angel would like to agree to, none has come towards his desk at all.

I attended Red Bulls training on Thursday morning at Montclair State University in Montclair, NJ getting some information for the clubs upcoming road match down in Philadelphia, Angel came to the reporters and discussed his contract situation. “I know that I won’t be a part of this team next year,” said Angel. “For a fact.” Just hearing it coming out of him honestly made me feel sad from within.

Since coming over from Aston Villa in the 2007 season by Bruce Arena as he and Claudio Reyna were the first two designated players in club history to be signed. Angel cashed in scoring plenty of goals as he was one shy of twenty and he scored that match winner against David Beckham and the Los Angeles Galaxy in front of over 66,000 at Giants Stadium.

Of course he had some problems with a nerve injury that hampered his lower back in 2008, but in the second half of the season Angel was able to score tweleve of his fourteen goals and then led the clubs first MLS Cup Final appearance after defeating the Houston Dynamo in the goal aggregate playoffs and leading the club to win the Western Conference at Real Salt Lake.

But last year which was suppose to be a step forward, became ten steps backwards as they had a horrible year with over managing by Juan Carlos Osorio, red cards being shown at an alarming rate and the only positive that came from that season was Angel passing Giovanni Savarese with the record for scoring career goals within the regular season on August 23rd, 2009 by scoring a brace against FC Dallas.

A Memorable goal from this season by Angel was the stoppage time winner against the Houston Dynamo on Wednesday, June 2nd at Red Bull Arena. A foul from 30 to35 yards away from the net. All Angel did was calmly walk up to the ball, pounded it towards net and got a double deflection off the far post and off the backside of Pat Onstad, then right into the net. Currently he has scored thirteen goals this season and currently is partnered with Thierry Henry.

“When I first came here, I promised I’d commit myself [to the Red Bulls],” said Angel. “I want to give my best for a chance to walk out of here with an MLS Championship.” And from where I could see both at Giants Stadium and at Red Bull Arena, Juan Pablo Angel has always been a consistant professional and to be fair its going to be sad not to see him back with the club for 2011.

He will be admired with the past goal scorers this club has celebrated either as Metro or RBNY. Giovanni Savarese, Clint Mathis and blue collared local hero John Wolyniec. It’s tough to see him being forced out, but if he and the club does win the MLS Cup in Toronto in late November. He will walk away a hero to the hearts and minds of the supporters.

This entry was posted in Juan Pablo Angel, Leagues: Major League Soccer. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Juan Pablo Angel’s Final RBNY Season Has Come, Not By His Doing

1. Kelly says:

Juan Pablo Angel is *already* a hero RBNY supporters. Adding MLS Cup would just be the cherry on top.

2. Rick says:

Could you at least attempt to punctuate your posts at a high school level? Good gawd, it’s like reading something written by a five-year-old kid. Seriously, re-read your last two “sentences”.

Take five minutes after you write your posts and PROOF READ IT. Put some pride into your work.

• Daniel Feuerstein says:

Rick. For the last time and please understand that I have had enough of this. I HAVE ALWAYS PROOF READ MY ARTICLES! I HAVE ALWAYS SPELL CHECKED MY ARTICLES! STOP ACTING LIKE A JERK!

I put in alot of time and effort into what I write. I’m not on a deadline but at least I take the time to make sure everything is done the right way.

• Dave C says:

Daniel,
        Rick certainly sounded too harsh in his criticism, but he has a point – the penultimate sentence of your article is not a fully formed sentence. It should presumably be joined with the following sentence to form a full coherent sentence.

I know whenever anyone criticizes your spelling/grammar, you respond with “I ALWAYS SPELL CHECK AND PROOF READ”…but the problem is, unless you spell-check and proof-read WELL (i.e. “the right way”), you’re always going to have people posting these kind of criticisms. I don’t expect NYT-quality writing from a blog, but I often find your articles are full of non-sentences, but at least when someone points out an obvious mistake, you should go back and fix it (hint – the following is not a sentence: “It’s tough to see him being forced out, but if he and the club does win the MLS Cup in Toronto in late Novem­ber.”)

• Daniel Feuerstein says:

Before I hit the send button. I read my articles several times to make sure it sounds correct. I always spell check my articles more than once. I am offended when people act like numbskulls after I put in the time and I always make sure that it’s done the right way.

I don’t mind being critisized on my opinions, but I will fight back when I feel that a commenter has to treat me like a child for no reason. I put in the time to make sure it’s done right.

• Dave C says:

You’re right that there’s no need for people to act like jerks just because someone makes a spelling/grammar error.

Maybe you should try having someone else (other than yourself) read through your articles before publishing them though. Sometimes we can’t see our own mistakes, whereas a fresh pair of independent eyes spot them straight away.

3. jcr says:

You should be careful when stating it is a fact that Angel has or won’t be offered anything. Have the Red Bulls organization told you this? The Red Bulls could have easily have offered him a non-DP player salary and Angel given that he feels he doesn’t want to play at that salary has said he is not coming back next year or the Red Bulls simply have given clear signals that a DP salary is not in the offing and the same.

I really don’t know why I came back to your site, but if you think that Angel still deserves a DP salary going forward something is wrong with your judgement. Angel had a great first year, but it has been downhill since then and now is a shadow of his year 1 self while still a good MLS player just not DP worthy. The Red Bulls would be dumb to not take advantage of getting the type and quality of player they want and need for that 3rd DP slot.

• Will says:

Daniel never said anything about supporting a renewal of Angel’s DP contract. He’s simply taking the time to mention Angel’s remarkable history with RBNY and why it’s so sad to see him leave.

Angel will not be returning to RBNY next season. He was recently presented with a new sport-related job offer and has decided to commit himself to it after the season ends.

• Daniel Feuerstein says:

To JCR: You didn’t pay attention to what I wrote. He isn’t being offered a new contract of any kind. I never said he should be re-signed to DP money. If you can’t understand what I typed then do me a favor, don’t coment at all.

It’s all over the local news wires and Angel told us himself. It was on the MLS Extra Time podcast show with Allen Hopkins of ESPN. Red Bull told him find someone else during the all-star game to be traded.

Why did you come back to this site? Just to be annoying? If I can’t honor this man for what he has done these four years with the club, then I guess it’s just not worthy of me to give you guys information.

4. CTBlues says:

Hey, maybe they will sign Rooney in January.

• Jcr says:

Read my reply. I did ask how you can be so sure he was not offered or will not be offered a contract after the end of the season. #1 all I have heard is Angel say is he is not coming back which does not mean he was not offered a contract only at least that he won’t get the contract he wants. If he said anymore that has not been written anywhere then that would just be his version and not the Red Bulls. If you re-read my initial reply, you would see that is what I said. The Red Bulls have at least up until now waited until the end of the season.

If the Red bulls have truly done as you indicated, then they will cut him as soon as the season is over so they don’t have to protect him during the expansion draft.

• Daniel Feuerstein says:

JCR: I can tell you it’s not going to happen, my sources have told me so. That’s what has been discussed all over the place. Now if they are going to come out of the blue and surprise us by giving Angel a new contract then that’s good stuff.

But right now, these are the last few weeks, if not days remaining for Angel to be a member of the Red Bulls.