THURS, 1PM ET
VIL
MON
THURS, 3PM ET
CEL
SAL

Fox Soccer Channel Releases App for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad

mzl.plujfzzi.320x480 75 Fox Soccer Channel Releases App for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPadFox Soccer Channel has released an app for the Apple iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad that will allow soccer fans in the United States to watch live streaming Premier League and Champions League matches on mobile devices.

For the Premier League and Champions League, the Fox Soccer app features:

• Latest Premier League news,
  • Fixtures and scores,
  • Videos and
  • Score ticker.

But the most exciting development about the app is that it features live streaming video of Premier League and Champions League matches. Since the app was released late last week, I haven’t had an opportunity to review the quality of the streaming video (due to no Premier League or Champions League matches being shown because of the international break).

However, many soccer fans may be upset at Fox’s app pricing. The app itself is free but if you want to watch any of the streaming games (which will not be available on demand, only live), you have to pay $7.99 per month, $22.99 for 3 months or $79,99 for 12 months. Even if you’re already a subscriber to FoxSoccer.tv, Fox’s broadband service, you still have to pay extra to watch games streaming via the app.

That means that soccer fans in the United States, who want to have access to all of the Premier League matches available, will need to pay their TV provider to subscribe to Fox Soccer Channel and ESPN2. On top of that, they’re already paying $15 a month extra to subscribe to either Fox Soccer Plus or FoxSoccer.tv (or, in some cases, $15 for each of them per month). And now they’re being asked to pay $7.99 extra to watch it on their mobile devices.

It makes more sense to me that if a customer is already paying $15 per month for FoxSoccer.tv, they should be able to watch the same games via the Fox Soccer app at no additional charge. FoxSoccer.tv is run by Perform, while the Fox Soccer app is run by a company affiliated with Perform called Boximo.

One other criticism regarding the Fox Soccer app is that their TV schedules should be incorporated into the app so you know which games will be shown on Fox Soccer Channel, Fox Soccer Plus, FoxSoccer.tv and now, the Fox Soccer app. Even purchasing the app, I still don’t know which games will be available for live streaming on the app this weekend: Whether it’s all games available on FoxSoccer.tv and Fox Soccer Channel, or…

I guess we’ll find out this weekend.

To sign up for live streaming on the Fox Soccer app, you first have to download the app, then register your e-mail address and then follow the steps to subscribe. In addition to the live streaming, subscribers will get in-match video clips for every Fox Soccer match, half-time and full-time video highlights, matchday previews and roundups. The highlights are available after games until 36 hours after the match.

You can stream the video using your mobile connection. And it’s available for soccer fans in the United States.

One more thing about the app. The same app works on the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. While some companies have custom developed a special version of an app to work exclusively on the Apple iPad, this one uses the iPhone app. You’ll just need to hit the ’2x’ button to maximize the iPhone app on your iPad. Whether that limits the quality of the experience will have to wait to be seen.

The Fox Soccer app is available for $7.99/month and is available in the Apple iTunes store here.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Fox Soccer Channel Releases App for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad

1. Conrad says:

what the dickens?!?!?! 8 bucks a month on top of the 15 that I am already paying for for FSC.tv… I mean, c’mon people. If they add “on demand funcionality I will drop the website subscription in a second so I can watch all the matches on the go (even if it means I have to watch it on a smaller screen)

2. Simon Burke says:

Dreadful pricing but applaud them on the invention. It needs to be free to those who have an account to stream games. Or charge 2 dollars a game or something – 8 bucks is horrible.

• brn442 says:

I echo your sentiments but the pricing is not dreadful just annoying. Two bucks a game – maybe as an additional option – yes but will be a lot worse as a replacement pricing scheme. Still progress.

3. Steve H in SLC says:

Is a subscription to foxsoccer.tv required in order to get streaming video through the app?

If the quality is there (and I’m skeptical at this point), it might work to do this instead of foxsoccer.tv, and watch games on my iPad instead of my laptop. In that case, I’d be saving $8 per month instead of paying extra. But I can’t see paying for both subscriptions at the same time.

As a point of comparison, the Major League Baseball streaming video package costs $90 for the season, but you have to pay $10 extra for the iPhone app. That’s just a one-time payment, though.

4. James says:

…or you could just use your Android device running 2.2 and streaming via flash from the foxsoccer.tv website directly and avoid the Apple imposed restrictions.

5. Adam says:

If you ask me and are paying $15/ month for the fsc’s through cable (I think that is what it is) you should be able to stream online (and through the mobile) as well. This smells of taking advantage of a niche market to me.

6. Sir Guy says:

The pricing makes this a non-starter.

7. Bryan Thomas says:

Just downloaded the app. While the pricing for streaming does suck, the app is really well put together. It’s slick and very well organized. One of the better news apps I’ve used.

8. M says:

One thing to keep in mind for those who may think about canceling a subscription to FSC.tv in favor of the app…does the app offer the same replay features? That’s what I love most about FSC.tv. I not only can stream the games live, but also I can go back and watch either a full replay, an edited 45 minute highlight replay, or a 2 minute highlight replay. Would that be available on the app? Or is it just for streaming live matches? If so, you would essentially be paying $8 a month for 2 or 3, maybe 4 live matches full LIVE matches. Economically that doesn’t make sense compared to watch you get for $15 a month on FSC.tv.

9. Bious says:

The fact that they think many people will pay 2 times (.tv & app) is laughable

Completely and utterly ridiculous

• M says:

Well…it’s not THAT ridiculous. The app for the mobile device is a separate service. So, why not a separate charge? If you want to be able to stream a game on your phone in class on a Tuesday afternoon or in church on a Sunday morning, because you can’t wait to replay it later on your laptop or desktop, that will cost you extra.

Just depends on how badly you want it.

• Bious says:

If you think people are going to pay for the online service and then a 2nd for the app service, you really are out of touch with consumers

There is absolutely no reason for .tv subscribers to be paying again for the same service on their phone.

There are already numerous apps that stream for free w/ subscriptions period of their product. That alone would mean that a TV subscription should be enough but I won’t go there

Bottom line, there are already 16+ reviews on the app store for the app and all 16 (well, all but one) is irate over the additional charge…so, I can’t be that far off the mark

• M says:

Oh, well, of course, I know people won’t be happy about it. People are never happy about paying for things. But for me it’s like being charged a fee to use an ATM that doesn’t belong to my bank. People get up in arms over that, but HEY! IT’S NOT YOUR BANK! Even though it’s the same product (your money), you are accessing it differently. Therefore, you are charged an additional fee. I don’t like it, but I’m not going to beat my head against the wall screaming about how it’s irrational. It does suck. But that’s the way it is.

But there are ways around it….as someone mentioned above: why use the app, when you can stream it through your phone’s browser for no additional charge?

10. Up the Chels!! In Chicago says:

Call me crazy but…..I think they should try and ensure FSC is carried in HD by all major cable carriers before they start charging 8 bucks for an app. Still waiting for Comcast to carry it…..

11. COME ON U GUNNERS!!! says:

Purchased the app yesterday and also subscribe to Foxsoccertv (since August). And I read all the feedback before buying it but utlimately I can’t get near my computer through the day so only way to keep an eye on games is iphone.

I don’t mind as I can now watch the games anywhere for 23 bucks a month – cant argue with the amount of content they show ! BTW the app is actually pretty cool.

Now go win the League Arsenal!!!!

12. DaveG says:

veetle.com shows the FS+ and FSC games online for the iPhone for free already

13. Tony Edwards says:

out of there minds if you pay the $15 a month to subscribe to there online service then the applications to use it should be free… I dont mind paying for the App but $8 a month on top of it… Also its not an IPAD app i can only find the iphone one

14. daniel says:

i had the chance to play with it this morning. i wasn’t completely impressed. if you read the advertising (fox soccer channel) and the blurbs (“see every premier league game”) i thought it would be a nice solution to watch the EPL games in an easy to find package. the reality is that you don’t see all the games (video clip replays stand in for live coverage for some games). the games shown as it turns out are the ones from foxsoccer.tv, not fox soccer channel or fox soccer channel plus.

the people who are posting about foxsoccer.tvnot being able to use this for free are absolutely right. this is actually a stripped down service of the foxsoccer.tv (no other leagues except for EPL and CL). if you are paying $15 a month for one service, it should work here too. maybe this app needs to cost a little more and mirror the service that already exists. the MLB is $15 a month so that price point isnt too painful.

i love how fox has committed to providing EPL coverage across the board, but its very hard to find what you really want. i would like one-stop shopping for the EPL live games and unfortunately this isnt it. This is a nice step in the right direction but there is definitely room for improvement.

as an app, the video is a little choppy (over wi-fi). there are dead spots when you click on an icon and the app hangs with no feedback that something is actually happening. it would be nice to see which games are live and which are just being followed with stats and timely replays. i feel like the people who are putting out this app are trying to get customers to try a service they have been asking for but there is a little trickery and window dressing to hide the flaws.

15. Sergio Azevedo says:

I cant get mine on the ipad, only on the iTouch. Is there some sort of trick. Any help would be aporeciated. BTW its very clear on the small screen. I will wait till The next batch of CL games to see if its worth it to keep Fox Soccer Plus

16. Joe says:

The live streaming feature in the iPhone App DO NOT WORK. Do NOT be conned by any of the subscription services as they DO NOT WORK. The description in the Application Store says “Watch streaming EPL Games live” and there are even places in the app that make it seem like you can watch live streaming games, but that is not the case! I emailed customer support and they said that the game wasn’t available on the iPhone, when the App itself says that it is available!!!

DON’T FALL FOR THIS APP – Don’t even download it, as ESPN Gamecast is far quicker. Even the match details and stats are far behind!!!

• The Gaffer says:

Joe, which game were you trying to watch on the iPhone app? Most FoxSoccer.tv games are available on the iPhone App, but not all.

ESPN Gamecast may be quicker, but it doesn’t offer the ability to watch live games streaming on your iPhone like the FoxSoccer App does.

17. Andrew Walsh says:

Is it still possible to purchase the monthly streaming games with the iPad app without a foxsoccer.tv subscription? $7.99 sounds like a good deal to me. I tried to do this through the app, but it didn’t appear to be an option. A commenter above said it can be done, but the terms may have since changed.

• The Gaffer says:

They have a $10 trial pass for one month, or there’s the monthly subscription of $19.99. But there is no longer a $7.99 option.