MON, 3PM ET
TUES, 2:45PM ET
BAR
AJA
TUES, 2:45PM ET
SCH
SPC

What One Goal Gave You The Most Pleasure?

In the past we’ve asked you what was your favorite goal, but this time we want to know what one goal gave you the most pleasure. It doesn’t necessarily have to be the prettiest of goals, but the sheer sensation of the goal being scored gave you an inordinate amount of pleasure.

For me, as part of EPL Talk’s Friday Flashback Videos series, my vote is for Archie Gemmill’s goal for Scotland in the 1978 World Cup against Holland. It was my first World Cup and, as an eight year old, I remember jumping for joy after seeing Gemmill weave his way through the Dutch defense and score. I’m not Scottish, but I definitely was proud of Scotland that day and throughout the entire World Cup tournament.

The goal from Gemmill was crucial because Scotland needed only one more goal against Holland to qualify for the next round of the World Cup. Unfortunately for the Scots, Johnny Rep pulled one back for Netherlands and resulted in Scotland crashing out of the tournament even though they won 3-2 against Holland who would be the eventual runners-up in the ’78 tournament.

But what about you? What one goal has given you the most pleasure as a soccer fan? Click the comments below and share your story.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to What One Goal Gave You The Most Pleasure?

1. Amzer Nazeer says:

Its just 3 years since i began to follow football. Of all the goals i have seen, the one which made me jump up and down was Rooney’s header against Man City in the 2nd leg of last season’s Carling Cup semi final. And Owen’s late goal against City and Macheda’s crucial stoppage time goal against Villa on his debut are also my unforgettable goals.

2. Belozoglu Emre’s free kick against Sunderland in the game at St. James’ which ended 3-2 to Newcastle.

I was at the game and it was my first derby, I remember it was an amazing game and that was a great goal to win it.

3. Joe says:

I’d have to say Landon Donovan’s goal against Algeria (guess where I’m from). Pleasurable for so many reasons, not the least of which was the chance to erase a horrible offsides call AGAIN in the first half (after that ???! call against Edu in the previous game that led to the firing of the ref). Also watched it at work when I probably should have been…you know…working. I’m pretty sure my jumping up and down gave away what I was actually doing.

4. Steve says:

Bobby Zamora’s winner in the 2005 Championship playoff final. Shudder to think what division West Ham would be in without it (or still in existence even?).

5. Jon says:

Easy. Michael Thomas, final minute at Anfield, 1988-89 season.

Jon

6. Carolyn says:

Zinedine Zidane’s volley against Bayer Leverkusen in the 2005(?) Champion’s League final. That was an absolutely terrific goal and a pleasure to watch because of his flawless technique.

7. Fee says:

Without a doubt the number one goal would be “Thomas, charging through the midfield! Thomas, It’s up for grabs noooooww! Thomas! Right at the end! An unbelievable climax to the league season!” Too right it was! (The goal I am referring too is the Michael Thomas goal vs Liverpool at Andfield 1989).

Also Tony Adams vs Everton 1998 in the game in which a win would secure the title. “It’s Adams, put through by Steve Bould… Would you believe it!!” Crowned an amazing season and for our legendary captain to fire one in left footed, well that’s special.

I’d also like to point out that the commentary was amazing on both goals and helps to preserve their memory for me. Great days!

8. oliver says:

Roberto Di Matteo in the 97 Cup Final after 43 seconds.

9. No question for me. Norman Whiteside in the 1985 FA Cup Final for Man U v Everton. It was a tight game, Utd had already had Moran sent off, then he casually moved down the right and curled the ball in with his left foot. The excitement and relief was simply amazing. I always remember this one goal. I also remember writing to Viz comic and asking if they would make it possible for me to have scored the goal LOL

and here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=iVbUoGm4lw0&feature=related

Wow, in my mind it was from farther out :)

10. Lyle says:

Definitely Gerrard’s goal against AC Milan to start the comeback. You know they could do it after that.

11. Kevin says:

I have to go with Donovan v Algeria, obviously.

Club wise? I suppose Crouchy’s against Man City last year, though there are many others…Danny Rose comes to mind.

12. RobG4 says:

Donovan v Algeria, then probably Clint Dempsey’s chip shot vs Juve in the Europa League.

13. BBC says:

Bradley’s against Slovenia was just as magical for me as Donovan’s.

In the EPL, Tevez to make it 1-1 in the Wayne Bridge game. It wasn’t a beautiful goal, but it was all effort and Chelsea never looked like they were in the same class the rest of the way. Saturday morning 7:15 AM cheers ran through the house

14. harry says:

trevor sinclair against barnsley in the FA cup. superb!

15. Brandon says:

As an American it would have to be Donovan.

On the club side, I would say the Fabregas goal against Milan in the Champions League or the Goal he scored to tie Liverpool late in the game at Anfield in 07.

16. Dan says:

99 Champions League final – Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

I was in Las Vegas watching this as the only Manchester United fan among a group of Bayern fans. I have never been so filled with utter joy from a game as I was when Solskjaer put his foot on Shearingham’s header. I don’t really remember the next couple of minutes afterwards.

17. Adam says:

For me it was a fairly innocuous goal. David Edgar on his debut for Newcastle on a boxing day game against Manchester United a few years ago to equalize and give the undermanned Magpies a draw against head of the table United. No idea why, but that game is one that just struck a thread with me and has stuck with me since.

Also Alan Shearer’s last goal- pk against Sunderland. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxS5R8mBGeQ

18. Dave B. says:

“I haven’t felt that good since Archie Gemmill scored against Holland in 1978.”

Perhaps the best post-coital one liner of all time.

19. UpTheBlues says:

Possibly Gio’s wondergoal for Holland in this year’s world cup for me.

20. Mike says:

Cesc Fabragas with 2 goals….

1) 30 yard bomb to the lower corner at the San Siro vs. AC Milan in the champions league to put us through to the next round in 08 maybe?

2) His goal at home to Sp*rs last year after we had just scored on them. Van Persie helped deflect it and he took off, beating the whole team and sending the emirates into pure mayhem.

21. robert says:

You guys got all the storied ones so I’m voting for my recent fav. I’m not a Villa fan, and I was rooting for Tottenham last weekend, but I can’t remember the last time I was so pumped on a goal. With all the work Heskey put in battling off his defender to square it to Albrighton, who smashed into the post to put it in… man. I LOVE that goal. I rewound that play at least four times. That was a working man’s goal I’ll remember for a long, long time. Outstanding.

22. kulay says:

mine will have to be that giggs goal from the epic semi final replay against arsenal in 99 just the sheer anticipation of a 1-1 score then a late penalty save then topped off with one of the greatest solo goals ever made me jump with joy and left a scar from my celebration that made my cousin who is a gunners fan throw a chair at me

23. Lyle says:

Brian McBride header on cross from Tony Sanneh against Portugal, in Korea 2002. Middle of the night and 3-0 USA. Suck it Figo!!!

24. tom young says:

2nd German goal against England in this years world Cup. 6 or 7 one touch passes (well Podolsky did have 2 touches at the end) and the ball was in the net. Brilliant football!