SAT, 7:45AM ET
REAL
SAT, 10AM ET
SWA
SOU

English Football Fan Journal: Planes, Trains & Automobiles to North London

English Football Fan Journal: Planes, Trains & Automobiles to North London

As I type this journal entry in the smallest of one room efficiencies in Highbury, London, the time in the upper right corner reads 7:00 AM exactly. Local time just hit noon which places my brain somewhere in the realm of insane, sleep-deprived lunatic, or, lazy traveler, as I’m only just sitting up from bed as Coronation Street appears on ITV2.

Regardless, we made it over. The overnight flight from Dallas FW will be a memory best left somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean while on the up side of the long travel time, some incredible areas were witnessed last night in London. Specifically, London’s Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square and Covent Garden. More sight seeing resumes later today and this weekend as at least for now, the weather is holding nicely.

Where’s the Football?

Having arrived in the UK as an international break was in full swing, the football has been non-existent thus far. However, England’s Euro 2012 qualifier v Montenegro at Wembley fast approaches and will be sure to create some memories.

In a million years, I never realized the jet lag would be as difficult as it has been. My plan: stay awake during the flight over, land in London around 12:30 and go all day without a nap. This way, come 10:00-11:00 PM at night, you’re dead tired and ready for bed.

Good on paper, but it didn’t work. Let’s just leave it at that. My boring sleep patters aside, this column will be reserved for football and football related issues. For now, we’re off to, I don’t know, would it be breakfast, or lunch?

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to English Football Fan Journal: Planes, Trains & Automobiles to North London

1. Efrain says:

Great idea with the journal. Football or no football, nice to see any info you can give on your trip. I am sure there are many here, including myself, who would like the info to assist us if/when we can cross the pond to check a match out in person!

2. Kevin says:

My jet lag was almost non-existent. Strange.

3. goalz says:

Figured this would be a good place to get a legit travel answer in the UK. How long would it take to travel from Birmingham to Dublin via ferry and train? Planning a trip for April but there is a big difference in price if we leave from Dublin instead of either London or Manchester. Ideally we would be in Ireland for 3-4 days but just in case we can get tickets to a weekend fixture that are too good to pass up we might have to quickly get to Dublin the next day.

• patrick says:

Take the train to Liverpool and then the ferry to Dublin… take the night ferry and party with all the Irish Uni students buying duty free booze on the boat… done it many times, and always a great time.

4. There was a study that found how to beat jet lag.

Apparantley it’s all to do with when you eat and your body clock. Say on your journey home, you eat normally on English time, then when you get back to America you start eating your meals on American time (if that makes sense). When on the plane you don’t eat anything, might be tough but you won’t have any jet lag!

• Sir Guy says:

Well, we’re way off the topic by now so—-Jet lag “fixes” are a dime a dozen. I do well by ignoring its existence. This past summer flying from Budapest to Raleigh I hit RDU at 9:00 am EDT (3:00 pm CET), found the airport pub and had two large beers, a crab cake sandwich and some fries. Best breakfast I’ve had in a long time! :-D

Suck it up, Jesse and keep those journal entries coming!

5. patrick says:

I hope you are at a pub about now drinking and taking in the internationals…

if not there are League matches Saturday… would a great primer for your football adventure.

6. patrick says:

Just saw Brighton is playing at home at noon, would be a great day trip, game and taking in Brighton… just an hour by train.