WED, 12PM ET
JUV
WED, 2:45PM ET
LEV
MON

Liverpool Football Club To Be Sold

Liverpool Football Club To Be Sold
Fans of Liverpool Football club have finally got what they wanted with the news that George Gillett and Tom Hicks are set to sell the club. New England Sports Ventures, fronted by self made-millionaire John W Henry, will takeover at Anfield subject to Premier League approval.

But speaking to Liverpool fans soon after the news broke there was a general feeling of scepticism and to be honest they have every right to be wary about another takeover. While Henry will clear the club of debt, Liverpool fans have learnt first-hand the problems that can come when the wrong people are in charge of a football club.

But in Henry the club should be in safe hands. While he may not be in the super-rich bracket of the likes of Roman Abramovich or Sheikh Mansour he will be bring a sense of rationalism and stability that was so often lacking under the infamous duo of Hicks and Gillett.

In his time with the Boston Red Sox Henry made the most out of maximising the clubs revenue and at Liverpool he has something that Chelsea and Mancheser City don’t have. Their established history of success brings ready made marketability and therefore revenue.

Previously this revenue had got straight into clearing the clubs rapidly increasing debt, but with the club now out of the red Henry has a chance to overcome his lack of a super-fortune.

I don’t think this move will be a quick fix for Liverpool’s problems on the field, and fans shouldn’t get their hopes up that the takeover will see stars arriving at the club left right and centre. But it could allow for sensible progression which in turn could bring the long term success that the club desperately craved.

While we don’t know what Henry’s plans are surrounding the clubs new stadium, which in my opinion is the key to the clubs development , you have to feel that the club is in a much better position than of this time yesterday.

All the signs are now pointing in the right direction for Liverpool off the field, and the clubs fans should welcome the new owners with open arms, even if he wasn’t the sort of buyer they had in mind.

What do you think? Is this takeover the right move for Liverpool Football Club?

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL, Liverpool and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Liverpool Football Club To Be Sold

1. Charlemagne says:

Good luck to Liverpool. As a Manchester United fan, I am a little envious but urge them to be cautious. Despite the rivalry, it’s not good for football to see them struggling like they are now and so I wish them a speedy financial recovery.

2. A step into the unknown, I do not know much about the new prospective owners, what i have seems to be positive which must please Liverpool fans.

However its always a nervous time for a fan of a club when things are in flux, having got their wish I hope the Liverpool fans get behind the next owners and give them time to fix the mess that has been created.

3. Norfolk Enchants says:

Wow. I’m floored by this. Floored.

I live in Boston and am a diehard sox fan. John Henry is a fuking genius.

This puts me in a hard place. I love my Gonners. LOVE THEM. That said do I have some sort of obligation to Liverpool if this deal closes? I’ve always liked Liverpool but I never considered myself a supporter. I clearly don’t hate them like I hate Man U or Chelsea.

This is tough.

• Gaz Hunt says:

It’s official – you’re a Liverpool supporter. Welcome. :)

Who wants to support Arsenal anyway? You’re not French are you? :)

• Gaz Hunt says:

Seriously though -

Just because the Red Sox and Liverpool may have a connection doesn’t mean I’ll stop supporting the Phillies in favor of the Red Sox. Support the team you love – don’t let ownership or financial links get in the way. This partnership could be over in a few years.

4. nathan says:

As a Red Sox fan, I’ve been following Henry since he bought the team, and he has been fantastic! Not afraid to spend money on players, but also stays out of the way and lets the baseball people make the decisions. If he treats this the same way, it will be great for Liverpool. I’m very excited!

5. patrick says:

wicked awwwwwsum

6. Clampdown says:

As a diehard Yankees fan from NY, all I can say is please, please let this happen. John Henry is the best owner in baseball. So smart, hires the right people, and can compete with a team that spends twice what he spends.

Where’s Ethan? He must love this.

7. Jason says:

I think this is awesome news for Liverpool supporters. With that said, I have a feeling they still won’t be happy because John is defenitely not Scouse or even English, he’s another American in their eyes.

If you strip that away and listen to Clampdown, John Henry is an amazing owner. He assembled the team that broke that damned 86 year curse and is very smart with hiring the right people and leaving decisions in the hands of the people that are responsible for those decisions.

Congrats as I belive this is a great move.

8. I smell another Curse of the Bambino on the way — one can only hope that it’ll be another 86 years before Liverpool win their next EPL title….

9. Gaz Hunt says:

Sounds like good news but I’m withholding judgement until I know a little more.

Could this mean Liverpool would possibly play at Fenway Park during the summer months? I’d be all over that.

10. Stacy Richardson says:

This is good for Liverpool because the sale would clear the debt, and keep the club from going into administration. The bad part: Liverpool may have fallen so far in their performance on the pitch that getting back to the top four cannot be taken for granted merely because of a sale to non-morons. Furthermore, although John Henry and his minions are bright and competent, success in baseball does not necessarily mean success in football.

Incidentally, Fenway is not a good ground for football, as Celtic and Sporting Portugal demonstrated conclusively in July. Not sure how they squeezed an American football field in there, back in the day, for the Boston Patriots, but it certainly didn’t work for the friendly this summer. Probably we would see Liverpool in there anyway if the sale goes through.