FRI, 2:30PM ET
SWA1
SAT, 12:30PM ET
ARS1
MUFC2

Match Of The Day Poll For UK Readers

Match Of The Day Poll For UK Readers

I remember living in the United Kingdom in the early 80s. After spending a long day going to see your club either home or away, I would finally get home, take my boots off next to the fire, and sit on the couch with a hot cup of tea and then watch Match Of The Day to find out what the scores were from the matches around England and Wales.

But now in the year 2010, I’m wondering if football supporters sit down to watch the programme and whether they already know the results of the matches or not. For those attending matches on a Saturday, and due to the small number of matches shown live on television, I can understand how very few people will have seen the highlights until Match Of The Day. But surely everyone knows the results of the games before the programme begins? Or perhaps not.

The way that Gary Lineker teases the audience during Match Of The Day, you would think that very few people know what the final result is before he shows the highlights.

So, can you shine some light on whether Lineker’s teasing the audience is unnecessary or not? I’m very curious. Thanks in advance for answering.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Match Of The Day Poll For UK Readers

1. IanCransonsKnees says:

MOTD has been getting a roasting over here lately from Stan Colleymore. He slates the pundits as fence sitters and uneducated in understanding teh teams they are commenting on orther than the top 4. In all honesty I have to agree.

MOTD was irrelevant to me as a Stoke fan before we get promoted to the Premier Leage and is as irrelevant now that we are in the Premier League. I record it, fast forward to the segment on Stoke, watch the highlights and then delete it.

2. bradjmoore48 says:

I’ve heard about the Stan Colleymore comments as well, but even here in the States, I’ve been told you don’t watch MOTD for the analysis. I usually only watch 1 or 2 EPL matches a weekend, so MOTD is a great means to fill in the gaps for the rest of the league in their extended highlights. I usually know the scores beforehand, but that doesn’t take away from the show.

I can’t speak for the teasing, but then again, since not every EPL match is shown on TV in the UK, you could say giving the score away before the highlights could be a spoiler. But I’m not the one to make a judgment on that.

3. The Gaffer says:

I read Stan Collymore’s criticism too as well as some of the banter from journalists in the UK aimed at MOTD, but I think they’re creating a fuss out of nothing.

Collymore, I’m sure, would love to raise his profile and get one of the MOTD pundit jobs himself, so he’s pretty self-serving there. And the level of analysis on MOTD is good, not incredible and not average or poor.

4. IanCransonsKnees says:

I do think Collymore has a point. Fair dos he has an axe to grind with the BBC but if you take the time to listen to him (he does Talksport’s version of 606) he pulls no punches and isn’t afraid of upsetting anyone. He’s surprisingly good, although it was funny listening to Talksport stick the boot into Coventry for signing Marlon King on his release from prison give Stan’s past misdemeanors.

MOTD really is an irrelevance, I prefer to watch the Football League programme they show afterwards, if only to keep up with what’s happening at a lower level.

However I’d take any football shown by the BBC, or even Channel 5, over the ineptitude that is ITVs football broadcasting.

5. The Gaffer says:

So, the survey results so far show that most football supporters already know the results of the matches before they watch Match Of The Day. So why does Gary Lineker still tease the viewer about what the score may be before the highlights of each match begins? Is it nostalgia, or is he trying to make sure he doesn’t upset the small portion of people who don’t know what the score is?

6. redskin says:

twice IanCransonsKnees has called motd irrelevant. not everyone has the money to pay for sky sports, so motd is the only way to see these games for many people. as for that wanker collymore he is just a waste of space. motd is not irrelevant but collymore is.

7. Dave C says:

I’m sure nowadays, the vast majority will already know the scores before watching. Maybe some people manage to avoid overhearing scores to keep it a surprise, and Lineker et al hold back on spoilers out of respect for that minority of the audience.

With regards to Stan Collymore – in many ways, he’s absolutely right – Shearer and Lawrenson in particular rarely know what the hell they’re talking about. But as soon as Collymore suggested Ian Wright as a possible alternative viewpoint, it kind of invalidated anything he was trying to say.

8. IanCransonsKnees says:

I don’t have sky. And MOTD is irrelavent to me because of the way my team is portrayed and treated on it. It’s down to personal preference. I have a season ticket so see the home matches live, beyond watcing the away goals for my team I’m just not interested.

9. Matt T. says:

I love watching MOTD in the States. Look forward to it every Saturday. I know a few of the scores, but not all of them.