FRI, 2:30PM ET
FRI, 8PM ET
CHI
HOU
FRI, 8:30PM ET
USA
MEX

Fabregas To Get Reward For Staying Loyal?

Fabregas To Get Reward For Staying Loyal?

While it has been Chelsea taking the Premier League by storm during the opening few weeks of the season, their London rivals Arsenal have gradually been gradually continuing their solid start to the campaign.

Arsene Wenger’s side have been in very impressive form so far this season. They kicked off with a creditable 1-1 draw at Liverpool before three straight wins, including a 6-0 mauling of Premier League new boys Blackpool.

But in their last game they got their biggest boost of the season so far – the return to fitness and form of Cesc Fabregas. During the 4-1 win over Bolton, the little Spaniard showed the sort of ability which saw him linked with a big money move to Barcelona during the summer, and if he continues this form, Pep Guardiola may just regret not parting with the inflated transfer fee that Arsenal demanded.

You have to admire Fabregas’ attitude, just yesterday I criticised Fernando Torres, suggesting his heart was no longer at Liverpool and it was showing on the pitch, but with Fabregas, this simply wasn’t the case.

Wenger though claims he never doubted that Fabregas would be committed to the cause: “I was always convinced he loved Arsenal.

“When he is on the pitch, he enjoys it. We play the game he loves to play, the game turns around him as well. He grew up in this team, and to make this team win will be a bigger achievement than anything else for Fabregas.”

To be honest though you can see why Fabregas would remain loyal to Wenger, and so he should. Without the help of the Frenchman, Fabregas would be nowhere and repaying the gamble that Wenger took on him by staying for another year was really the very least Fabregas could have done.

Next summer I have no doubt that Fabregas will make the move to Barcelona, but in an era of player power it makes a refreshing change to see a player accepting the decision of his manager, keeping his head down and continuing to put in the high quality performances.

These high quality performances may just give Fabregas the only thing he has left to achieve at Arsenal, a trophy.

This entry was posted in Arsenal, Leagues: EPL and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Fabregas To Get Reward For Staying Loyal?

1. The Soccer Sage says:

“Without the help of [Wenger], Fabregas would be nowhere.”

If my memory serves me right, Barcelona desperately wanted to keep him and he won the Golden Ball at the 2003 U-17 World Cup. As an Arsenal supporter, I do believe that he made a wise move to sign for Wenger (who’s give him a fair first-team chance), but I seriously doubt he would have failed had he stayed at La Masia.

• dilshan says:

you give away too much infor for people to wrk out ur a Barca fan claiming to be Arsenal….we are not that silly you know …nd trust me he would not have got the chances he needed to make it at the highest level with Barca and would not have become the perfect no10 with Barca either

• The Soccer Sage says:

Since I’ve followed Arsenal since I was a child and because I know common information about the club’s captain, I’m clearly a fraud. Maybe dilshan, you are a bit too silly? Maybe I should grant you the “Sage” title since you can see the future…

“trust me he would not have got the chances he needed to make it at the highest level with Barca…”

Yet Pep, who raves about him, has made Pedro (unheralded) and Busquets first-team regulars. I love Arsene Wenger as much as any Arsenal supporter, but as he often laments, “It’s not magic, the players who can play and succeed are given more opportunities to play and succeed.” I think most of the top clubs around the world (who generally boast the top youth players) adhere to this principle.

• Bucky says:

Pep was not the manager during the time Fabregas would have been trying to make the first team. There is no way Fabregas would be at this point without Wenger. WOuld he have gotten there in a couple of years. probably. But to be 23 with 100s of games of experience in the PL, CL no way.

2. stonroy says:

There is no way he would be the player he is today without Arsenal and AW. His work rate his tracking back his TOTAL GAME is due hugely to Wenger. He was a gem no doubt about it, but now he is world class one of the 3 best in the world at 23.

3. Stu says:

I dont think Cesc was loyal. He respected Wengers final decision but make no mistake about it, Cesc wanted to join Barca. If he was loyal to us he would have come out with an immediate “no thanks” to Barcas offers.

I dont doubt his committment to Arsenals cause but he is a pro and that should be expected. He should not be rewarded financially for being effectively made stay.

4. Red20 says:

“just yesterday I criticised Fernando Torres, suggesting his heart was no longer at Liverpool and it was showing on the pitch, but with Fabregas, this simply wasn’t the case.”

well then, that settles it.

It’s a bit of a stretch to just say that Torres is unhappy at Liverpool and that’s why he’s not playing well. I guess he didn’t care for Spain either, judging by his World Cup form.

Fabregas may just be healthy, and Torres not. Who knows, but I’d be shocked if Fabregas truly wanted to stay at Arsenal.

5. Norfolk Enchants says:

Let him go after this year. I love the Gooners because AW always finds the best talent.

6. Zuccaba says:

Cesc would be the first to acknowledge that he will not be where he is without AW. I believe most of us are not that delusional to believe Cesc truly wants to stay with us. But he is. Why dont we just thank our lucky stars? He could have handed in a transfer request but didn’t. It could be that he’s the consummate professional, it could also be because of his respect for AW. But, maybe, just maybe, it is because he does love The Arsenal. I’d like to think that. It warms my heart.

7. Ibrahim says:

Why is it so important for the fans that Fabrigas should stay because he loves Arsenal. What is the club for a player? an environment to play in most clubs, and an environment to grow and play in Arsenal. For Fab Arsenal is AW and his collaegues in the team. Staying loyal to AW is the same as staying loyal to Arsenal. It only happend that he is a catalan and barcelona is the best team on earth at this moment. How many players in the PL will resist Barca offers? and they are not catalans.

Im crazy about Arsenal and I love everything in it, but I Knew Arsenal only with AW and his sexy style of playing. I do not know if I will love the club in the same way if there is no Wenger any more .. Sometime I feel I love Arsenal because I love football and because I like the story of youth project of AW.

I do take Cesc departure garanted. He maystay, and I hope he will stay. He is the best midfielder in the world and I hope he will finish the story of youth project.

8. mrswoo says:

I was under the impression that when he signed his extra long contract he was also given several million pounds as a sweetener to stay.

Isn’t that enough?

9. lulu says:

“Inflated transfer fee that Arsenal demanded”
    1. Arsenal told Barcelona that Cesc was not for sale. No fee was demanded. Even Barcelona have admitted that no fee was “demanded” by Arsenal.
    2. “Inflated” Did you see the match last night? £30mil for a player on a 5 year contract. A world class player not even at his peak but that can control a champion’s league match? The offer was insulting, not inflated.
    “No doubt he will make the move to Barcelona next year”
    3. They cannot afford him. They had a fire sale of good players at the end of this season and only added one decent player.