Powered by
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

Blackpool Continue Promising Start

Blackpool Continue Promising Start

A relegation certainty was the tag given to Blackpool after their shock promotion to the Premier League. But after the Tangerines continued their stunning start to life in the top flight with an impressive 2-0 victory over Newcastle United, are Ian Holloways men primed to prove all the doubters wrong?

Seven points from their opening four games is an impressive start, and is even more impressive when you consider three of their four games have taken place away from Bloomfield Road. While their 6-0 demolition at Arsenal showed that there is still plenty of work to be done, credit must go to Holloway.

Holloway himself said of the win over Newcastle:  ”I am more than delighted with that. If there was a better word than delighted, I would like to think about it now and say it. I might make my own up – phantasmagorical, whatever.

“My boys get stronger and better all the time and I have got to be careful that I don’t burst with pride about them because we had the worst day ever in my football management on Friday.”

“One of my staff is ill – I had to tell the young lads, cancel their game, I had to tell our boys and I couldn’t be more proud of a group who even paid tribute to Parky on their shirts today. I am very glad that we stuck together.”

Before the season it was stated that the Premier League would love Holloway as much as Holloway would love the Premier League and this is certainly proving to be the case. But it is not only his personality that is endearing him to football fans, his tactics are also admirable.

Holloway had promised attacking football and that he wouldn’t be overawed by the talent they were facing on a week in week out basis. Yesterdays 90th minute counter-attack at Newcastle saw a three on one situation in Blackpool’s favour,  and shows Holloways commitment to his principles.

Most teams would have been more than content to sit back and absorb pressure but Holloway left players forward when defending a corner with the ultimate aim of extending their lead.

Dangerous as it is, it certainly makes for interesting games and if Holloway can keep making his side perform above all expectations we might just see them prove their doubters wrong in emphatic style.

What do you think? Can Blackpool really pull of the ultimate shock and survive relegation this season? Or is this start just giving their fans false hope?

This entry was posted in Blackpool, Leagues: EPL and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Blackpool Continue Promising Start

1. The Gaffer says:

Blackpool players rallying their team against Newcastle to show their support for 42-year-old youth team coach Gary Parkinson, who suffered a stroke, is a perfect example of the incredible team spirit that the Seasiders have. Blackpool has definitely been one of the most enjoyable teams to watch so far this season.

2. Sir Guy says:

I don’t see why Blackpool shouldn’t stay up, given their mindset. They do not play like a team that is trying to avoid relegation. They play like a team trying to win. There is a distinct difference and one that I think will serve them well as the season wears on.

One of the things I particularly love about the EPL is that it can be just as enjoyable to track the progress of the bottom ten as it is to do the same with the top ten. I don’t see Blackpool being in the bottom three of the second half of the table, but it will be fun watching it all play out.

3. Steven James says:

If the goal keeping and organization continue to be as good as they were yesterday, the Tangerines will be staying up. They are almost a quarter of the way there on points already.

4. Martin says:

I’ll be cheering for them to stay!

5. Can’t get too carried away with it, Burnley and Hull are examples of teams that took the league by storm when they first got in but all of a sudden started to struggle.

They deserved to beat us though, Toon were terrible in first half and Hughton didn’t make changes soon enough. Gilks also had the game of his life which was a bit unlucky for us, because in the second half we started to create a lot of chances and if we put one away the pressure would have really been on them.

• Kip says:

I don’t get the ‘Burnley and Hull’ comparison…

Burnley won one game away all season and Hull stayed up anyway!

Other than Arsenal, we’ve played 2 away, 6 points, For 6, Against 0. Nothing like Burnley at all. Next week is effectively a free week at Chelsea where we’ll get tanked 5/6-0. But it means nothing as long as we can continue to get results at other places.

So far, so good. Long may it continue. :)

6. Chris Cooney says:

A marvelous performance so far by the bookies favourite for relegation. They were one of the favourites last season to be relegated too and look what they did. Blackpool are an example of how to excel against ferocious opposition. They probably will get spanked 6-0 a few times by the top jocks but there are plenty of other teams in this league that they CAN beat. I think they’ll stay up.