Should Tottenham Make A Last Ditch Transfer Move?

Should Tottenham Make A Last Ditch Transfer Move?

With the transfer window slamming shut tomorrow Tottenham have surprisingly been one of the most inactive clubs. But should Harry Redknapp make a last ditch attempt to strengthen his squad ahead of their assault on the Champions League?

Redknapp’s quiet summer has been quite surprising when you consider his reputation as a bit of a wheeler and dealer. But in truth I think he has been shocked at the sheer cost of strengthening a side that was able to qualify for the Champions League.

Champions League football has meant that Tottenham are in the market for elite players, but elite players means inflated transfer fee’s and although Spurs aren’t short of money Redknapp appears to be reluctant to risk value for money.

Take Luis Fabiano, Spurs were unwilling to meet Seville’s valuation of over £20million and quite rightly so for a player who only has a year left on his contract. But Redknapp must understand that this is the price you pay for a player of Fabiano’s ability. Transfer fees are greatly inflated but for the top bracket players they are inflated even more.

Spurs look set to make a deadline day move for Ashley Young who himself will come with a greatly inflated price tag, even more so after James Milner’s departure from Aston Villa, so in truth a deal looks unlikely.

The question though is do Tottenham need reinforcements? The defeat to Wigan would suggest they do if they are going to challenge domestically and in Europe this year. Redknapp shouldn’t buy for the sake of buying but he should be aware that his side may struggle with the lack of quality in depth.

That eventually proved to be the downfall of Liverpool and is the reason why they are not in the Champions League this year and Tottenham should have invested in the squad a long time ago and not left it to last minute because that will only inflate prices further.

I think they are one or two additions away from having a side that can compete for the Premier League however I can’t see them arriving to White Hart Lane now. If injuries hit Spurs may struggle and Redknapp may live to regret not delving in to the transfer market.

24 Responses to Should Tottenham Make A Last Ditch Transfer Move?

1. Ross says:

With out a doubt YES!! we should have replaced the weakest links way before this point, why we didn’t resign Gud I’ll never know, he’s far better than Keane and how is it Jenas is still wearing a Spurs shirt!! Where is the prolific striker we so desperately need.

2. MennoDaddy says:

“Redknapp’s quiet summer has been quite surprising when you consider his reputation as a bit of a wheeler and dealer.”

I C WUT U DID THERE ^^^^

Spot on. Spurs need at least 2-3 more players to take the next step forward. To his credit, Levy is committed to running a financially solvent side, so it’s unlikely we’ll see Tottenham driven into bankruptcy anytime soon. However, it also means that Spurs won’t be splashing out £20m+ on any player until the club gets bought out by some rich middle eastern oil tycoon.

I’m of two minds of this. I’m very gratified that Levy won’t spend beyond the club’s means, but I’m also very disappointed that out of this transfer window Spurs have only been able to get one on loan Croatian keeper, an ex-Scum defender, and an AWOL Brazilian midfielder. I expected so much more.

I look at this Spurs side and think that, when healthy and fit, this is a side that could challenge anyone in the EPL. I also look at the current team that as of now has only one 100% healthy striker (Super Pav) and no real cover at the back and think that with the Champions League looming there isn’t enough depth to really compete in Europe.

I think we can look at it as a combination of several factors: Tottenham refusing to spend like drunken sailors, teams overvaluing their players knowing that it’s a new CL side that needs to strengthen, and other EPL teams like Man City with a glut of unused talent that are out-and-out refusing to deal with Spurs. It’s sad. I was really looking forward to this transfer window and it’s appearing that we’ll be leaving it with pretty much the same squad as when we entered it.

COYS!

3. Stovin says:

@Ross YOU ARE RIGHT! WHERE IS SUAREZ?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. col says:

If this season turns into a damp squib we will know what went wrong.The need to be financially prudent is important but chances like this season are few and far between and this season was our time ,i hope it has,nt been blown.

• MennoDaddy says:

Oh, I agree. No question. This is a real missed opportunity to build on the momentum from last season, and I fear it’s been lost.

5. Ross says:

I’m definately going to see the Inter away game as I think this is the only season I’m ever going to see Spurs in the Champions league. I don’t see one super special name on our squad list (maybe the likes of Modric/Bale and Hudd in years to come), good players don’t get me wrong but no world beaters.

6. bryce says:

too levi much too late a very frustrated spurs fan…………….

7. Darren says:

levy, you missed the boat……thanks a million, enjoy counting ya dosh

8. MennoDaddy says:

Okay, so open question. If not now, is there any reason then to wait until January and spend our Champions League money then, instead of a last-minute panicked spree for Ashley Young? I mean, it may be too late for the CL by then, but it could have a beneficial impact on the domestic league standings…

9. Ross says:

I think we should take champions league out of the picture as we need to push on in the premiership again this year. I’ll be very suprised if we hit 4th again with the same squad.

10. BucksSpur says:

Missed the boat I’m afraid !!!

Make the most of the initial CL games as there won’t be many more with this squad.

In the Prem we’ll be lucky to finish 6th next season as BOTH clubs who finished below us have added to and improved their squads.

11. ImBAAAAAAAAACK says:

i think redknapp should just lock himself in a room, put on some really strong and inspiring music, and just go for it and take whatever money and buy luis suarez or another real world class player. If he wants to be serious and show tottenhams real status and take them to that next level then theres no room for being cautious. This could make or break tottenham but you cant loss what you gain and if you do fall back after this year for not taking that step then we will be back at square one. So make your choice Harry or forever regret it.

12. Family Man says:

As a result of the World Cup, I am one of those new followers of EPL. I recently subscribed to DirecTV and got the Sport’s Package. Wow, just wow…! After performing a considerable amount of research online, I have narrowed my choices of a team to follow down to a few. Spurs are one of the top contenders for me. I began following them the week before they came out to San Jose. So far, I (for the most part) enjoy their play, although I will admit to being more than a little pissed when they lost the first match to Young Boys and of course there’s Wigan….

I continue to read about Newcastle’s interest in Robbie Keane (he’s obviously pissed off Harry and other Spur management and fans before my time) and I also keep reading about the Spur’s need for a striker. So here’s the question from the newbie and if the answer is obvious, forgive me because I’m still learning. Why wouldn’t Spurs try to work out a trade/transfer with Newcastle, Robbie Keane for Andy Carroll? I realize Carroll is young but I’ve been quite impressed with his play and and feel he has tremendous potential and of course he has found the back of the net more in three matches than the entire side of Tottenham….. I’m just curious. By the way, I really enjoy this site!

• Ross says:

At this point mate we need a player for now and not one for the future. To be honest I like Andy Carroll but he’s not a world beater a certainly not good enough to get a first team run with Spurs, I hope for Englands sake he proves me wrong but his fantastic start to the season has definately made him look a far better player than I’ve seen in the past.

• MennoDaddy says:

Agreed. While it’s all well and good to build for the future (which is how Man U and Arsenal continue to do well year after year), Spurs need the momentum from their top 4 finish to land a couple of very, very good players NOW.

Continued success will breed further success, which is why this is such a missed opportunity.

• The Gaffer says:

Welcome aboard Family Man. I’m glad you got into the EPL. It’s going to be an excellent year as you’ll see.

As for Keane, he’s a decent striker but much much older than Carroll. Newcastle United would try to hold on to Carroll with all of their might. Chances are this season Carroll will score far more goals than Keane. Plus, if he can do it, Carroll could be a massive transfer target next summer which could generate Newcastle a ton of revenue. There’s more to gain for United to hold on to him than to trade him with Keane.

• Family Man says:

Thanks guys. I assumed that might be the case, but you know what happens sometimes when you assume…

13. chandresh patel says:

levy, you have missed out big time on the transfer window. You cannot spend money.
    Instead of building on what we are now we will go backwards instead of moving forward.
    Sell the club to rich middle east guy

14. chandresh patel says:

levy, sell the club to rich middle east guy
    You have missed out big time on transfer window.
    Instead of moving forward we will go backwards!

15. col says:

Cant begin to explain the feeling of a missed opportunity,this is a classic Spurs problem.Every time we get close we freeze and dont take the final steps.Have been a Spurs supporter for over 40 years and have seen this sort of thing time and time again.Always manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory maybe that should have been club motto.

16. Paul says:

Say no to transfers and Levy is holding back the club. If Levy says yes to transfer then he is at fault when the debt piles up. Don’t forget that White Hart Lane holds well under forty thousand people. They only made a profit in 2009 because of the sales of Berbatov and Keane. Unless they go ‘sell to buy’ they will never see a profit again given that they had 114 million in revenue (this should increase to near 160 million depending on Champions League sucess).

• MennoDaddy says:

Let’s be clear — I don’t think Levy is holding back the club by not spending. I applaud his dedication to making sure Tottenham stays financially solvent. (Who would you rather support right now — Spurs or Pompey?) I do, however, think it’s a factor as to why we weren’t able to land, say, Luis Fabiano.

But agreed, Levy becomes the boogeyman no matter what happens here. Shame. I think he deserves a lot of credit for the success of the club.

• Paul says:

Exactly, sometimes the hardest thing is to say no. By the way, I do think that Fabiano in particular is overvalued and wouldn’t be better than Crouch, Defoe, or Pavlyuchenko.

17. OllieWillie says:

They really don’t need to. Certainly not Young. They have Bale and Lennon. Kranjar and Modric can play on the right or left too.

I’d be looking at a center back if anything. Woodgate is stuffed, King is too. Hutton is gone or going and Corluka is playing as a full back.