Bob Bradley Signs to Coach USMNT Through 2014 World Cup

Bob Bradley Signs to Coach USMNT Through 2014 World Cup

Reports have come out this evening confirming that Bob Bradley will stay as coach of the US Mens National Team for another four years.  Just as speculation was growing that Bradley would be out, Jurgen Klinsmann would be in, and US Soccer was going to make some significant changes before the next World Cup, it seems that everyone has chosen stability over transformation.  There are several different ways to look at this:

This was the right move

Bradley may not be the most charismatic character of all time, but he did well.  Under his stewardship, the US won the Gold Cup, got to the finals of the Confederations Cup, won the CONCACAF qualifying group, and won its World Cup Group.  While the US did crash out of the World Cup by losing to Ghana in overtime, that game was as close as a game could be, and had the US won it, this decision would be a no-brainer.  While major countries like France and Italy were having personality breakdowns in South Africa, Bradley kept our boys loose, focused and together as a team.  The team was in great shape physically, and despite the obvious limitations of the US squad, especially after Charlie Davies and Oguchi Onyewu suffered serious injuries, the team met its main objective – getting to the knock out stage.  Bradley has earned the chance to take the team to the next level.

This is a disaster

Bradley is not the guy to take the team to the next level.  He made some fundamental mistakes in our tactics that cost the US a chance to really make a mark in South Africa.  What was Ricardo Clark doing there against Ghana?  What was Gooch doing in there against Slovenia when he could barely walk?  Were it not for a saving goal by Landon Donovan, the US would have been going home in the group stages, and this decision would have been a no-brainer.  Furthermore, that run at the Confederation Cup was not much of a run – we got slaughtered by Italy and Brazil in the group stage, lucked into the knock out stage, and blew a two goal lead in the final that could have delivered a historic moment for US Soccer.  Finally, winning things in CONCACAF is no great challenge.  Even Steve Sampson could achieve that!  If the US is ever going to move up from the JVs to the Varsity squad of soccer nations, it needs new leadership.

Honestly, it really does not matter

There is no more over-valued job than coach of the national team.  You don’t really develop players in that position, – you simply pick the best 23 available and see what happens.  Perhaps a coach like Raymond Domenech can cause a team like France to fall apart, but only a fool would say that Vicente del Bosque caused Spain win in South Africa.  Spain won because they have the best 23 players in the world.  The US will have more success when they have better players, and the coach of the team has only the most marginal impact on growing the pool of players that can succeed at the highest level.

What do you think?

58 Responses to Bob Bradley Signs to Coach USMNT Through 2014 World Cup

1. SSReporters says:

When you lead for a grand total of 204 seconds in the World Cup against “inferior opposition” like Slovenia, Algeria, and Ghana you shouldn’t be allowed back as coach.

This is the wrong move. He’s not good enough to take this team any further and we should’ve gotten someone else.

• sergio lima says:

Allow me, please, I know this is a MLS blog but I know that all here love soccer so as a member of a very special “religion” like we call, I must tell you that the most important team in Brazil, CORINTHIANS, is celebrating 100 years today. 2000 FIFA World Champion, 4 times national champions, 3 Cups of Brazil and 26 state championships. 30 million fans. Black and white colors. Best players in history: Marcelinho, Socrates, Rivelino, Luisinho and Baltazar. The most important detail about Corinthians is the love of the fans for the team. In Brazil is common to say that Corinthians is a bunch of fans who own a team and not a Team with fans. In 2008, the team was relegated to division B due to corruption by the president who was convicted and arrested, on the very next year, the fans broke all records for attendance, visiting stadiums less than ideal to the fans and the team made the best campaign in the history of the second division. 100 years of pure passion by the most humble people in Brazil. Congratulations Corinthians. I am very proud to have this team mixed with the history of my life. I love you, TIMAO.

100 thousand fans in Sao Paulo city downtown waiting for the countdown yesterday close to midnight where they had celebrated the anniversary with many players from different generations.

If anybody here is interested in becoming a Corinthians fan, don’t worry. The team is selling now an amnesty certificate for those who use to love other teams before. After acquiring the amnesty certificate, you can then apply for the Corinthians passport, document you can have stamped when attending any game from the powerful Timao.

I wish I could have this movie about the fans and their struggle during the relegation year with translation, but some scenes are great.

Cheers

2. I’m not convinced that this is a good move if we think we can do better than the Round of 16 at the World Cup. He did get us there, although it took some luck and some last minute heroics. If we beat Ghana, then yes, this is a no-brainer, but we didn’t.

Bradley is most familiar with the talent pool, has shown a willingness to develop players, and is most likely to help the entire program grow. His major weakness is his tactical decision making, especially during the match. An experienced assistant would go a long ways towards helping that situation. I don’t know if he’d be willing to hire someone to essentially run that for him, nor do I know if he’s willing to admit that is a weakness. I think losing Peter Nowak to Philadelphia hurt the team more than losing Davies to injury and having a hobbled, out of match-fitness Gooch.

As far as I’m concerned, the jury is still out on this decision. I want to see what decisions he makes to improve the program and organization before I pass judgement.

• eplnfl says:

Great perspective Paul. A top flight assistance who knows the international game well can mean all the difference. I am more certain than ever that the club level vs. the national team level presents two different games. A lot like NCCA BB and Football vs. the pro games. You hit on Bradley’s strong points which for me make the move a right one at this point in time.

I think we all have to remember that while we want to see Bradley lead the team to the next World cup that does not mean he will be there come 2014. Do not get me wrong I hope he does but a new coach could arrive before 2014.

3. Seybold says:

I was hoping for a change, but this is hardly a disaster. He’s competent, but far too rigid in his adherence to a 4-4-2.

I hope Gulati made a deal where Bradley committed to using different systems, and branching out, especially since WC qualifying is two years away. Otherwise, this will be very frustrating, and too easy for the opposition–everyone knows how to set up against the USA.

With Holden emerging, an attacking midfield 3 with Donovan and Dempsey could be genuinely dangerous in a 4-2-3-1. Or Holden at the front of a midfield 3 in a 4-3-3. Just to name two examples.

It will be a grave disappointment if they just spend the next two years marking time, playing the same old way. That’s good enough in CONCACAF, but as we saw at the WC, not enough for the next level.

4. The Gaffer says:

No offense against Bob Bradley, but it was time for a new US coach. The US has hit a plateau. In order to move to the next level, they needed a manager with more experience.

The USSF doesn’t like making a lot of waves, so chances are that Bradley will see out most of his four-year term. In other nations, a four-year deal would be no biggie because few coaches would last that long and would either be sacked or resign. With the USSF, it’s very unlikely that’ll happen even if Bradley and the USMNT go through a bad spell of results.

• Civrock says:

Completely agree with your comment(s). It was time for change, the US team is stuck and will not progress any further with Bradley. Besides that I don’t think he’s that good of a coach anyway, he’s mediocre at best. A lot of his decisions before and during the World Cup were very questionable.

I was hoping he’d go to Aston Villa so the US team could hire someone else but at the same time I would’ve felt sorry for the EPL team because he’d probably do even worse than MacDonald, heh.

Klinsmann would’ve made a great coach but I bet he wanted to change the current system too much. The USSF is too stubborn and stuck on a broken and outdated system which is why US soccer isn’t going to get any further without a massive overhaul.

Sigh…

5. The Gaffer says:

With today’s decision by the USSF to extend Bradley’s contract for four more years, I wonder… is the USSF spineless or cheap, or both?

• Eric Altshule says:

If I was to guess, I would bet that they tried for Klinsmann again, and could not get him. I doubt the issue was money. More likely, it was control.

• eplnfl says:

A bit harsh Chris. The USSF has to be concerned about the total progress of the US program and from that perspective Bradley makes sense. I do not think that if their is a problem once real qualification starts which basically means the final round of six that the USSF will be locked into Bradley. They can easily eat the contract at that point and bring in a Klinsmann or someone like him. Hey Sven or Maradona will always be ready to take the job! lol!

6. MennoDaddy says:

With this decision, I’ve lost all confidence in Sunil Gulatti.

I don’t hate Bradley, but I certainly don’t want him around for another 4 years.

7. Rafael says:

Nooooo!!!!!
    It is absolutely ridiculous that this man will be in charge for another four years. I really think American soccer will regress and mediocrity wil rule again for years. The USSF is nothing but utter garbage. They do not care about soccer.

As A Soccer fan, I can no longer take the Bradley regime and state of American soccer. This will seriously cause me to be less passionate and attentive to the U.S. National Team. For me, I am done with this team.

I hope Concacaf teams will take notice and step up their game. I can’t wait how these nations will do in the next couple of years with new managers and new talent.

8. Efrain says:

I cant say much more that’s already been said. So Ill just vote for Eric’s 2nd option: “This is a Disaster”

Indeed a sad day to see Bradley remain at the helm.

9. Bolacuadrada says:

I like it. Bradley win/loss record speaks for itself. He won the Gold Cup that counted, was first in qualifying, second in Cofederations cup, first in group stage in Southafrica, and above all, he kept the USA as the best national team in CONCACAF. He earned it.

10. Jack says:

I agree with options 1 and 3. Bradley did a good to very good job with the talent America has to offer. The main thing limiting the US doing better than they have in the past is the talent of the opposing players. The recent Brazil vs. USA friendly was a nice reality check for the Americans. We have a long way to go talent wise to be where most Americans want to be (at the top). The best coach in the world could not have made up the difference in talent that was evident in the match we had against the Brazilians.

• Dave C says:

“The main thing limiting the US doing better than they have in the past is the talent of the opposing players” – Ha! Brilliantly stated!

11. Abram says:

I have decided that I don’t want Klinsmann to have Bradley’s job. I want him to have Gulati’s.

• Miami Juan says:

Amen brother Abram! Gulati needs to go if he is thinks that Bradley’s mediocrity is fine. Plus, I like Klinsmann’s vision. Gulati’s vision is a little too vanilla for me.

• Abram says:

Does Gulati even have a vision? Bradley did the best with what he had, I don’t think Klinsmann could have done much better. Klinsmann’s vision for the USSF is more of a president’s vision than a coaches. With what he supposedly wants it may take two cycles but it would improve development in the US. I say we oust Gulati and replace him with Klinsman coup d’état style.

12. Kick-Ass says:

FKN unbelivable! Bob for another four years! Everyone prepare for another four years of Findley, Clark, Bornstein, Junior, sorry defense, etc.. He will not include new young(U20, U21) players on his rosters. Bob do not believe in change. He will stick to same roster expecting a different output. Look the Brazil game last month prove that he is not willing to change because the only reason he called Gonzalez was because one of his buddies did not want to play that day. Lets get rid of Gulati since he is the enabler. Bob resigne if you have any dignity just like Dunga did.

13. UpTheBlues says:

It does matter when you look at the squad he put out for the Ghana match. He won’t pick young players, either.
    Disgraceful.

14. jeff says:

bradley does not learn from mistakes.he’ll still play findley,bornstein,buddle,sasha k.,ect.he has no vision & no insight on how to help players reach greater heights on the national team.us soccer has chosen not to move forward.sad to say that this long time supporter is jumping ship.

15. short passes says:

Well US Sucker has done it again!! They have shown once more that the welfare of the game and its development in the US is way down the list of their priorities. At the top is preserving the positions of the current bureaucracy, college coaches and the entire youth development structure. They would all have been in danger if Klinsmann had been put in charge. For those of you who think the USMNT coach’s position is all about getting to the WC and making it out of the first round, you may actually get your wish because bureaucrats like BB are all about meeting diminished expectations. However, if you actually envision a future where the US develops players that can actually play the beautiful game, you will continually be disappointed. US Sucker is all about the money, their money, and the power of their little bureaucracy !!! For lovers of the beautiful game here are a few survival pointers: (1) If you are Hispanic, or have any dual citizenship, don’t bother trying out for this team — head for Italy, Mexico, or Germany–the US will never be your soccer home. (2) forget about supporting the USMNT and concentrate on MLS where almost all the players will soon be foreign legionnaires since development of creative skillful US players have hit an impermeable wall. (3) Since US Sucker is all about the money, deny them that by avoiding the games, in person or on television. I for one plan on saving a lot of time and money by avoiding the next 4 years of this soccer travesty. (BTW, for those patriots among you, the USMNT is US Sucker’s idea of a national team, not mine. And, US Sucker should be banned from using the term “beautiful game” in any of their advertising since it obviously falls under false advertising) —- I anxiously await the the A and B license coaches’ responses.

• Dave C says:

Short passes – I’m English, so I might be slightly naive of the expectations of a US soccer coach…but what exactly do you expect him to do?

As far as I understand it, Bradley should be responsible for (a) picking a squad for international games, (b) making selection/tactical decisions, and (c) doing some fitness work during long tournaments. I’m not sure if the role of the coach should be (or even could be) to do grass-roots stuff such as developing players, “improving the program/organization”, dealing with the structure of youth football, etc. I think this is really more of a “director of football” kind of position (similar to Trevor Brooking’s position within the English FA).

I think you’re really asking a lot of someone to micromanage the whole of the US soccer culture, AND do the x’s and o’s on matchday.

• short passes says:

My dear English cousin–I’m not sure whether you are being deliberately obtuse and overly literal to make your point or if you truly don’t understand! For the sake of international comity, I will assume the latter.
        The US has no media soccer culture to speak of other than blogs and columns such as this. There are no major recognized sports commentators to catch the attention of the soccer and non-soccer audience and to raise the issues tied to improving the state of soccer in the US. Unfortunately, the only entity that has a truly national audience to raise those issues is the USMNT coach and for reasons of their own none of the USMNT coaches has ever chosen to make a public statement about the sorry state of player development. In other countries the lack of skills and the awful state of coaching at the college and youth levels would be a national discussion. Here it is limited to the blogosphere. My hope was that Klinsmann would for the first time begin to state publicly, and to a national audience that the entrenched soccer interests need to be shaken up. Skills, touch, needs to be emphasized, not athleticism. Extending an outreach to the inner city and ethnic communities would be a welcome change from the gated community that soccer currently is. Regarding your concern that the USMNT coach could not fit these things into his busy agenda, nobody is asking or expecting him to “micromanage the whole of the US soccer culture”. (Quite a bit of a jump, isn’t that, Dave)
        To ask the USMNT coach to actually lobby to improve HIS player pool is not asking too much BUT when that lobbying would actually call the actions of the soccer hierarchy to account, I guess it is too much to expect from home-grown US Soccer puppets (Bradley, Arena, Sampson, etc.)

• Dave C says:

I wasn’t being obtuse. I just think it’s a lot to ask of someone to expect them to be able to lobby for a far-reaching reform of a nation’s sporting culture.

I don’t think any national team coach could really make a difference on that front, and probably wouldn’t really bother to lobby for reform, for the simple reason that they will not see the benefit (because they will not be around for long enough). Even if there was a massive overhaul of US soccer tomorrow, the national team player pool would not experience the results for 10 or 20 yrs – long after Bradley or Klinsmann have moved on.

What the US needs is to get the best available coach to coach the side, and to get someone else with a good knowledge of the bigger picture and long term improvements to act as a director of the whole program.

• short passes says:

Dave — if you had been following this topic you would have read the numerous statements by Klinsmann that outlined exactly what he felt needed to be done and I have just been repeating those goals. This is nothing more nor less than what he initiated with Germany over 5 years ago. Klinsmann has been very open about the need to shake up youth development in the US and that’s probably why he was passed over. When a country only has 25 to 30 world class players, it doesn’ take long to select a team !!!

• short passes says:

Dave — if you had been following this topic you would have read the numerous statements by Klinsmann that outlined exactly what he felt needed to be done and I have just been repeating those goals. This is nothing more nor less than what he initiated with Germany over 5 years ago. Klinsmann has been very open about the need to shake up youth development in the US and that’s probably why he was passed over. When a country only has 25 to 30 world class players, it doesn’t take long to select a team !!!

• Nady says:

Spot on! Us Suckeer will never get anywhere with boring Bob and Gulati in charge. They should have given Klinsmann full control and hired him long ago. I am no longer supporting USMNT.

16. Dave C says:

“only a fool would say that Vicente del Bosque caused Spain win in South Africa. Spain won because they have the best 23 play­ers in the world.” That’s a very naive viewpoint. Spain obviously have a lot of great players, and they’re fortunate that many of them play together every week for their clubs. But to shrug off Del Bosque’s importance to the team is ridiculous.

17. tbpirate says:

ARRRGGGH! Bad move. We need new blood to get us to the next level. Simple as that.

18. Miami Juan says:

I just read Ives Galarcep’s column on foxsoccer’s webiste. So far that was the best argument I have seen for keeping Bob, but I generally don’t like having the same coach on a national team for too long. It could work out, but Bob is going to have to show us that the veterans don’t lose passion. That’s my biggest concern. Klinsmann is an attractive option, but maybe he would just crash and burn. Maybe he would do better in Gulati’s job. US Soccer will improve, but let’s hope we have a passion for 2014, and play complete games not just a good half or go to sleep as Bob’s teams sometimes do. Improvement in the talent pool will help, and at least Bob will always work hard and make his players work hard. I also want to see a better focus on the technical aspect of the game… see Ricardo Clark v. Ghana. No coach is going to be perfect and some people, including myself, thought that a coach like Klinsmann had a vision for US Soccer that perhaps is better fit for Gulati’s role. I’m a little less angry at the move after a night of sleep on it, but not necessarily happy with it. If Alex Ferguson was English manager could he keep the job longer than Bradley? Will Capello make it to another World Cup? I would never dare compare Bradley to them, but there is something about sticking to the plan. I’m know Bradley has learned on the job, but will it be enough to produce a quarterfinal or better result in Brazil? I hope so.

19. Robert says:

Lets not forget that the USA won the group and was the only group winner to fail to get past the round of 16. Bradley is going to continue to play his favorites and stick with the dead formation 4-4-2.

20. Charles says:

I don’t know that I have a strong opinion on this.

But I do think that a lot of reader tend to hero worship. I mean look at the team we have. I don’t mean any offense to our guys that a playing hard and are the best we have. But the US has what one, Landon, player can play on one of the top teams in the world ?

If Bradley doesn’t win it all, we understand, of course, but maybe expectations are too high for those thinking he should be gone ?

The only other thing I would say is if he is the right guy having him in there for 2 World Cups in a row has to be a big advantage.

• SSReporters says:

Clint is doing pretty well with Fulham.

• John says:

Chile do not have all of the glamour players that Brasil and Argentina have, but Bielsa manage to make them play beautiful and winning. Ofcourse it was bad luck that they had to face Brasil in the second round. So a coach does matter. Bielsa manage to build a competitive team together out of a bunch of unknows in the soccer world. I will even claim that they played better than spain, but yes they lack one or two stars to make the different, but they were one of the best teams fun to watch in South Africa.

21. eplnfl says:

I think most people here forget the role of the team manager in player development. Let’s face it a big name with overseas roots can care less beyond the immediate need to qualify and advance in the World Cup. American soccer is still at a stage that we need the national team coach to keep his hand on the pulse of the youth programs.

We would like to get to the stage that USA basketball is where it’s just a matter of getting the great talent used to international competition. US soccer is not there yet. One day may be!

• Dave C says:

You mean “Can’t care less”. Sorry to be a pedant, but that’s my one-man internet crusade. “Can’t care less”, not “can care less”.

But that aside, I don’t think that it is true just of foreign managers. Regardless of where a manager is from, his main priority is to do as well as possible in the here and now. A manager could not care less about reforms that are not going to impact the player pool until 10-20 yrs down the road.

• short passes says:

epfnfl — “American soccer is still at a stage that we need the national team coach to keep his hand on the pulse of the youth programs.” Have you ever seen or heard a USMNT coach (BB, Arena, etc) actually comment specifically (not some general BS on how our technical skills need improvement) on the fact that US youth development needs to be improved? Just asking. BTW Klinsmann has !!

• eplnfl says:

SP:

I have heard BB speak more than once about he goes from USMNT game to
        youth team camps and events. I’ll assume when he’s there he is working on among other things tactics and skills.

One thing also which I thing we should all think about does American soccer as a whole get helped if we hire a foreign coach? Does the development of the American game get improved by the use of American coaches wherever and whenever possible?

• short passes says:

eplnfl — we obviously have an entirely different idea of the function of the USMNT coach. Besides the normal tasks that other MNT coaches have, in the US our coach needs to be a visible representative of soccer. We have no real soccer media stars therefore we need someone who will speak up for the game and what we need to improve. None of our past coaches have done so and definitely not BB. Klinsmann would have!! Regarding BB’s visit to youth camps, I hardley think that talking to some kids about improving their skills hardly merits applause — now if he was having that talk with the Director of USSF’s coaching schools that might be of interest.
          Regarding the merits /disadvantages of hiring a foreign coach, I would remind you that when the Guru lives on a mountain you go to the mountain. To maintain that the US has world class coaches is laughable. The only way that we will improve our coaches and our players is to look overseas. When US manufacturing was going through the terrible 70′s and 80′s, we looked to the Japanese to learn quality — why should soccer be any different—with the proviso that we avoid help from England.

22. CTBlues says:

Is the President of USSF appointed or is there a vote amongst the members of the Federation because I’m with Abram about Klinsman getting Gulati’s job and gutting the current system.

23. Dan says:

HUGE MISTAKE! Gulatti is an idiot and deserves to be fired!

24. Rafael says:

It is only because of an utter fluke thatthe U.S. only got to the second round of the WC. They were SECONDS away from being elimanated in the first round again surely costing Bradley his job which was well deserved.
    The best thing for American soccer would have been for that Donovan last gasp goal to never have occured. Bradley got extremely lucky bounces in SA both in ’09 and ’08. It will cost U.S. very much.

I think Soccer fans across the country must be as vocal as ever in their opposition to this tragedy. The U.S. NAT soccer jerseys from fans around the country, should be mailed by the hundreds to Gulati so he can see that there will be no blind following of a horrible team.

25. Bolacuadrada says:

Lucky bounces? Which ones. The legit goal called back by a terrible ref against Slovenia? Beating Spain by 2 goals on 2009? It look like the lucky bounces were for the opposition and not for the USA. It also appears by what some fans are saying here that the last seconds do not count the same as the first seconds of the game. The USA National team won and that is what matters.

26. Kick-Ass says:

I want Gulati’s head on a stick and I want it NOW! Bob Bradley is the wrong choice. I do not know if I could take another four years of Findley, Clark, Bornstein, Junior, Weak-defense, aghhhhhh!!!! there is nothig to be exited about for the next four years!!! We all know what to expect from Bob. I wonder if lots of Bradley supporters will feel happy next summer when we are eliminated from the Gold Cup and let pathetic Mexico have participation at the confederation cup. Concacaf somewhat strong teams are loving Gulati decision. Gulati out!!!!!!!!!!

27. joejoe says:

Bradley is staying because He’s cheap, and will cave in to whatever USSF tells him. Oh and not even North Korea will hire him. Let’s face it. Why waist money on a better coach? The USMNT will do the same or worst in the next World Cup. It will not improve. Sunil will just pocket the money for himself.

28. Rob says:

In my opinion he should have only been signed until the 2012 CONCACAF Gold Cup so we can better gauge his determination or complacency and make changes as need. Another good article about this at usfootballer.com

29. echobase says:

lets call it for what it is.
    1. ussf is being conservative probably did not hire any high profile coach due to the fact that they did not want to make the same mistake as mexico did by hiring sven.
    2. ussf did not attract any big high profile coach due to lack of funds?? bad sales pitch? only name i heard was jurgen but was not really confirmed only speculation. no other coaches surfaced regarding the usa coaching vacancy/spot.
    3. bob bradley is still the coach because he could not get a job in europe.
    lets be honest who do you think was going to step in and coach the us national team ? please do not say jurgen since he already declined.
    4. legitimate contenders for the usa coahcing job: kinnear . backe. rongen.
    5. player pool is important as well as the coach and we can only hope for the best now . the usa national team desperately needs our support .

30. Frustrated! says:

Great! We’ll Bunker Bob for the next four years playing his favorites like Clark, sasha, findley, Johnny B., and junior as an automatic starter. If he’s such good manager, why where there not other teamsbreaking down his door to get him signed?

31. Alistair says:

At this point right now this team would barely qualified for the 2014 World Cup and will get blown away in the Group stage.

32. james says:

Aston Villa wouldn’t sign Bradley, so now we’re stuck with him. Isn’t there something wrong with this picture?

33. CoconutMonkey says:

I’m with Rob on this one. That’s why I’m taking the 4 years part of his contract with a grain of salt. I think the Gold Cup is really going to determine if Bob stays on for the next WC.

34. TR1 says:

My problem with Bob is he did not develop the intelligence on the ball; he did not support players like Torres; he did not get the most outof our talent because he did not try to maintain possession to take advantage of our superior speed and decent skill. Instead he and the team were resigned to be a team of chasers who fought very, very hard which is his main strength from what I saw. Bob would be a lower division coach for me in the UK, but he would not know how to develop EPL level talent. I will hold out home that he makes these changes in the future. I would rather lose playing the best soccer we can play, because win or lose, I can watch our players walk off the pitch with pride. The WC is along-term project. And in the long run a football brain will always dominate football brawn; you need both of course. SIr Alex had Quieroz who turned him onto players like Ronaldo. Perhaps Bob can make the right change by grabbing a cach from the Mexican as an assistant to help him with his blind spots. Up the USA!

35. Nady says:

There must be somethig the loyal USMNT fans can do to get rid of Boring Bob and Surreal Sunil! Suggestions please!

• short passes says:

I know how you feel but with the lack of major media interest ( there are only blogs such as this or Soccer America mag and they all need access so they can’t really alienate themselves from US Sucker or else they’re out of business) there is no one to bring outside pressure on US Sucker. So the only thing to do is individually boycott the US team — no tickets and no merchandise and try to convince others to do likewise. Here’s a warning though — I left a “Boycott the USMNT ” on a Chicago Fire website and they deleted it. So much for freedom of speech.