Powered by
JUL 12 4PM ET
bra0
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

Match Of The Day Opening Credits: 2010 and 1980 (Video)

Match Of The Day unveiled their new opening credits August 14th after the opening day of the Premier League season. The staple of English football, shown on BBC 1 on Saturday evenings, remains one of the most popular shows in the United Kingdom. And deservedly so as it does a grand job of featuring all of the highlights from the day’s games. The punditry, however, leaves much to be desired.

So when this British institution decides to change the introduction to the show, it’s a big deal.

Across Facebook and the Internet Saturday night I read plenty of comments for and against the new opening titles. Personally, I love them because they capture some of the most golden highlights in the memory of English football. And boy do we need that now at this seemingly all-time low. While director James Cameron would probably scoff at some of the poor ways that players from the past were spliced in with modern day heroes, the sentiment is there and it’s one which is trying to tap into our golden memories and emotions, as well as to try to bring the sport back down to earth.

Some of the legends of English football are featured in the video. I dare anyone to go ahead and try to list each player and incident in this video. It’s a treasure trove of English football. And I love it.

Before we go, here’s one of the most famous opening titles from Match Of The Day of yesteryear. The year was 1980. And yes, that is the great Jimmy Hill.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Match Of The Day Opening Credits: 2010 and 1980 (Video)

1. Devils Advocate says:

I think the new opening titles are a great introduction to the programme, adding an element of the heritage of the game in England. Here’s my list:

1. Bobby Moore
    11. Gary Lineker
    12. Alan Hansen
    13. Neville Southall
    14. Fernando Torres
    15. Trevor Francis
    16. Darren Bent
    17. Paul McGrath (Ironman)
    18. Colin Bell
    19. Matt Upson?
    20. Les Ferdinand (Trevor Sinclair)
    21. Carlos Tevez
    22. Tony Adams
    23. Kevin Keegan
    24. Peter Beardsley
    25. Jurgen Klinsmann
    26. Rio Ferdinand
    27. David Ginola
    28. Glenn Hoddle
    29. Wayne Rooney
    Sir Bobby Robson (RIP) & Roberto Martinez
    30. Rory Delap
    31. Stanley Matthews (RIP)
    Ian Holloway?
    32. Dennis Bergkamp
    33. Shay Given
    34. Thierry Henry
    Arsene Wenger
    35…?
    36. Bobby Zamora
    37…?
    38. Alan Shearer
    39. George Best (RIP)..The Best
    40. (Bobby Charlton’s head)
    41. Jay Jay Okocha
    42. Peter Crouch
    43. Paul Gascoigne
    44. Luther Blissett..?
    45. John Aldridge
    46. Gianfranco Zola
    47. Didier Drogba.

• Devils Advocate says:

Arghh!…Add to that Eric Cantona after George Best (a pair of kings!)

• Dave C says:

I believe Davor Suker was wearing the West Ham #9 shirt in the background of the Bobby Moore shot. It seems a weird choice, as I don’t know if he is particularly legendary, but it’s certainly someone from the modern era, as he has his name printed on his shirt (although I can’t quite make it out).

• Dave C says:

I think the goalie in the Gerrard shot was Neville Southall.

• Bazz says:

The guy in the ‘ Old Gold ‘ shirt with Zamora behind him is John Richards with Wolves,
      circa 1969-1983.

• Bazz says:

44 could be Blissett… was on loan to WBA for a short while, but I’m thinking if you’re
      gonna show Blissett would be in a Watford shirt. Looks a bit like Cyrille Regis to me.

2. Simon Burke says:

I like the concept but it looks a little cheaply done in places. Last year’s was better as it didnt look as fake. Still, I love the concept and I am sure it will grow on me.

I have no problem with the punditry – SHearer and Hansen made plenty of good points and used the telestrator well. (I think that’s whats its called…)

Was there ever a golden age of punditry? It used to be Jimmy Hill and Venables just abusing each other for 75 minutes. I loved it but i bet if we analysed it in this day and age we’d still say the punditry was poor.
    I just finished reading Motty and its interesting to hear a commentator/pundits view of all the slagging off they face.

3. Simon Burke says:

This is the Football Ramble’s take on it…

4. Tom Hingley says:

The punditry is largely OK, although sometimes a little misinformed.

The example for me yesterday was when Shearer said “Wolves will always be held back by finances”, which was a strange thing to say for the 3rd biggest spenders in the league.

5. vinnie says:

idea’s there; poor execution though. i would expect a much more quality work from such as huge corporate like BBC

6. Andy B says:

This is easily the worst match of the day intro that has ever been created.

The production value is appalling. It looks as though it has been put together by kids for a high school project. I would be fire for doing compositing this bad.

I work for a post production company in LA and would happily do next seasons titles for free. Every week i look forward to watching match of the day and seeing a little of home. This year i will be cringing all the way to the highlights.

It does however sum up English football right now, poorly planed and arranged, with all focus on glory of the past, with the bare minimum of effort for the present.

Poor work BBC, very poor.

7. Pete says:

So just to clear things up …….. !!! who is the best TV pundit (not necessarily on MOTD????

8. Marko says:

See the anti dalglish forces at play with kenny not featured. It’s like having a list of the greatest bands and leaving out the beatles, unbelievable!

9. dazzammm says:

The Wolves player is John Richards. (35 or 37). he was their main stricker in the 70s. Was the clubs leading scorer until Steve Bull.

Wasnt Rooney’s tackle a 2 footed lunge on Hoodle. He should have gone for that.