WED, 3PM ET
LEI
SAT, 10AM ET
SUN
TOT

Pelada: Intro by Ray Hudson and Interview with Gwendolyn Oxenham

pelada movie Pelada: Intro by Ray Hudson and Interview with Gwendolyn Oxenham

I recently had the chance to watch Pelada, a remarkable soccer documentary that follows two Americans on a journey around the world in pursuit of pick-up games. It’s a simple premise, but the experiences and people they encounter around the globe are wonderful to watch. If you consider yourself a soccer fan, this is one documentary that you must seek out.

When the film recently made its South Florida debut, I was fortunate to catch the film at the Art and Culture Center of Hollywood with some of the soccer royalty from the southern tip of this great country. In the audience were Thomas Rongen, Fernando Clavijo, Miami FC, Phil Schoen, Ray Hudson and many others. Thankfully, I had a chance to capture Ray Hudson’s introduction to the film and I also interviewed the star of the film, Gwendolyn Oxenham.

Below you’ll find a 15-minute edition of the EPL Talk Podcast which features both the Hudson introduction and the conversation with Oxenham.

Wherever you live in the world, try to watch the unforgettable film. More information can be found at http://pelada-movie.com/

8 Responses to Pelada: Intro by Ray Hudson and Interview with Gwendolyn Oxenham

1. Kevin says:

Thanks for sharing Gaffer. After watching/listening to this I did more research and I am really intrigued by the movie. I was bummed that this film would never come to my area, but then Gwendolyn mentioned iTunes, so I am currently downloading it. I can’t wait to watch the movie this evening as it looks spectacular.

• The Gaffer says:

Brilliant Kevin! Thanks. I think you’ll enjoy it, but feel free to post your honest feedback on the film after you watch it tonight. It’s definitely a complete change of pace (and belief system) from the Premier League.

2. Steve D says:

Terrific movie. Saw it tonight being screened in DC with one of the directors, Ryan White, for a joint benefit for DC United’s Foundation arm. Like I think i said to my wife afterward, the beautiful game has never been quite so beautiful to me as it was in this moving film. Highly recommend it.

(I believe you can order DVDs from the website, and I saw that the Playstation Network currently has it if you’re a PS3 owner.)

3. Kevin says:

Steve: I just came back to post my review and you pretty much stole what I have to say! I thought it was fantastic. I have already suggested the doc. to many of my friends. I sent the trailer out to a few people in an email and posted it on my facebook page and it seems like people are really intrigued. Luke and Gwendolyn were certainly very brave and endearing characters and Ryan and Rebekah obviously did a great job behind the scenes. I definitely wouldn’t have had the guts to go to the places they went and it all turned out great.

4. Matt says:

I saw Pelada last month at a screening in Charlotte. Absolutely fantastic documentary. I’m glad it’s really starting to catch on in the soccer community. Now I’m itching to watch it again!

5. Simon says:

I saw Peleda at its debut in Durham, NC a couple of months ago and loved it. I highly recommend it for any football/soccer fan and especially for those who love to play pick-up.

6. The Gaffer says:

I’m glad everyone enjoyed it. It’s definitely an inspirational and moving film. After it was over, it convinced me that I should play soccer more often with my children so they can continue to love the game as I did, if they so choose.

I think the film is a perfect work for those of you who are looking for something special to watch before the next Premier League season begins. Highly recommended!

7. Mark Ellis says:

Thanks for mentioning this. I will be unable to make it to any of the premier screenings, so I ordered the DVD.
    I hate someone beat me to the idea, but I had been planning a trip similar to this, with our cameras and soccer balls, throughout South America within the next year or two with one of my best friends and co-workers. We both play soccer and work in video, so we planned to produce it; very much like this project! :-)
    Look forward to seeing this!!