41800 123206084388782 4201 n Manchester City, Sporting Lisbon, Tottenham Hotspur joins Red Bulls New York in the Barclays New York Challenge

The dog days of summer has come to the NYC, Northern NJ, Southern CT, tri-state area. Even though the weather is extremely hot, the football will be even hotter when two of the top premiership clubs in Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur joins Portuguese first division side Sporting Lisbon to play in the Barclays New York Football Challenge. The host of course is a resurging New York Red Bulls who are currently in second place of the Eastern Conference of Major League Soccer.

From Tottenham Hotspur Manager Harry Redknapp and a late arriving Tom Huddlestone. From Manchester City Manager Roberto Mancini with Garreth Barry. Sporting Lisbon Manager Paulo Sergio with Daniel Carrico, Head coach of the New York Red Bulls Hans Backe along with Thierry Henry. “Delighted to be here in New York and much looking forward with the tournament” said Harry Redknapp. “To play with such good teams as we are competing with. The stadium looks absolutely fantastic and we are ready to go.”

It is very strange why a Portuguese side like Sporting Lisbon would want to be a part of this tournament with their league season starting on July 29th, but Paulo Sergio took it as an advantage to get his players some extra friendly matches and to face two of the top sides of the English Premiership. “I have to say in our proclamation to prepare well for the league opener on July 29th.” said Paulo Sergio. “We say thank you for this moment.” When it was Carrico’s turn to speak to the press he tried to say thank you for the opportunity, but his excitement to be here at Red Bull Arena overwhelmed him and his session ended.

Garreth Barry showed his pleasure when he spoke for his teammates representing Manchester City. “The players are delighted to be here in this tournament this weekend. It’s perfect preparation for the upcoming season & we can’t wait to get going at this fantastic venue.”  During the private interviewing sessions Barry described the improvement of the American player in the premiership as well as the World Cup. “I think you have to look at the national team its self, they have been improving and they keep qualifying for the World Cup.”

On the New York Red Bulls end the players are anxious to get started this Thursday against Tottenham Hotspur. Juan Pablo Angel picked up a sprained L-ankle and won’t be available, but is targeted the Sunday afternoon match against Manchester City to return. That means for the first forty-five minutes Macoumba Kandji will be paired up top along with Thierry Henry and when he found out about it during training today at Montclair State University’s track field, he had a large smile from ear to ear as he will be playing alongside the man he idolized as a young boy.

“The guy is a legend” said Kandji “Of course I thought about it and it’s a dream come true. If someone in high school told me this would happen I would call him a liar. It’s amazing because he is one of the best players in the world, my birthday is coming and it’s a wonderful present.”

15 Responses to Manchester City, Sporting Lisbon, Tottenham Hotspur joins Red Bulls New York in the Barclays New York Challenge

1. drew says:

You posted two identical reports. I wonder how that happened.

• Daniel Feuerstein says:

What I did Drew was report two seperate stories. I wrote the direct story first, then I made some seperate videos which I edited for the individual sides when they were interviewed. I only had enough time to get the Red Bulls, Manchester City & Tottenham.

Instead of acting like (I got you, you did something wrong) how about showing some appreciation that I spent all night to make this possible.

• Rick says:

So, you’re just going to leave the repeated text in the post because…why? The reports are identical; it serves no purpose to not edit the story. It probably takes less than one minute to go into your story editor, highlight the duplicated text, and hit “delete”.

It’s not about acting like you did something wrong, it’s about proof-reading your posts and taking pride in publishing a clean, well-written story. If you don’t take pride in your own work how can you expect your readers to respect it?

If your spending all night on these posts…well, I’d hate to see what they’d look like if you rushed them.

• Daniel Feuerstein says:

O.k. Rick & Drew. Now I just found out what happened. When I originally posted the story, it was a singular post. I never saw the double post at all. There was never a copy and paste situation. I might have accidentally clicked something to make it a double post without knowing about it.

My apologies to both of you. I just fixed it. Uploading a freaking video to You Tube takes too much damn time and I was getting a bit impatient. Thanks again & once again, my apologies.

• drew says:

I had a feeling the comment was going to come off as unappreciative. But honestly, I was just trying to help out. I imagined that you must’ve been tired and didn’t notice the repeated text.

Anyway, I do appreciate the writings and podcasts of all those that contribute, which is the reason why I frequent MLS Talk whenever I get the chance.

• Daniel Feuerstein says:

Thanks Drew. I was very tired and I put a lot of effort into this. I am very happy you do appreciate it.

2. Philip says:

Guys, check out our interview with Villarreal star Giuseppe Rossi. Rossi answers questions on why he chose Italy over the US, where does his future lie and was he actually forced out of Manchester United?

beyondthepitch (dot) net please let us know what you think. It is also available on itunes. Keyword search ‘beyondthepitch’ and the podcast will show up

3. tlas says:

I welcome Henry to the team and hope he does well here.

It will be interesting how the team handles the pressure against Tottenham. The other 10 players must step up and not think they can depend on one player to bail them out of trouble.

4. eplnfl says:

It is just such an exciting time for soccer in the US. Having New York play such a big role only makes things better for all soccer fans. Let’s hope for the Red Bulls this is just the start of many more tournaments to come that truly have world wide interest.

5. Robert says:

These friendlies/made up “challenges” are gay. Focus on MLS and winning the CCL. Focus on strengthening your squads and league in order to get an invite into Copa Liberator

6. MLS Fan says:

Robert,
    What’s with your constant stream of homophobic comments? Are we missing something? It’s 2010. Act like it.

7. LL says:

Correction:it is Sporting Clube de Portugal not Lisbon and it is Carriço not Carrico. Carriço is spelled like carrissu while Carrico is spelled like carriko.

Regards

8. Ruben says:

And, at the end Sporting Club of Portugal won this tournament!! GO LIONS!