WED, 3PM ET
SAT, 10AM ET
STO
LEI
SAT, 10AM ET
SUN
TOT

Freddie Ljungberg Plotting Return to Europe?

Freddie Ljungberg Plotting Return to Europe?

Freddie Ljungberg hasn’t played for Seattle since July 4 because of an ankle injury, and if the rumors floating around him are true, he may not be playing for them again anytime soon.

The Sun and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer are both reporting that the former Arsenal winger is considering leaving the Sounders for a possible return to Europe.

“Ljungberg is still with the ankle but also, at this point, he is exploring options,” Seattle coach Sigi Schmid told reporters. “So we’ll see how things proceed in the next three, four, five days.”

Sounders’ general manager Adrian Hanauer also sounds like a man preparing to retool his roster a bit.

“I don’t anticipate the roster staying completely as it is,” he said. “The transfer window opened two days ago and we’ve been working hard and will continue to work hard to make the team better. That certainly is likely to include … There are internal things we can do then there are roster moves and certainly roster moves are something that we’re working on.”

The former Swedish international has made 37 league starts for the Sounders since his arrival in 2009, netting two goals and 12 assists in that span.

Think Ljungberg is heading back to Europe? Will Seattle, which has been playing fairly well in his absense, need to make a move to replace him?

I guess we’ll just have to see how things proceed…

This entry was posted in Leagues: Major League Soccer, Major League Soccer, MLS and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Freddie Ljungberg Plotting Return to Europe?

1. Charles says:

That is a funny title.
    You have to be kidding me ? He can’t make it in MLS, so we will spin it like he wants to go to Europe. Most of Seattle wants him to leave. He can’t take the physical style of the MLS, he doesn’t want to work for a W, and his attitude is soooo out of touch with the first two statements.

My take is that so many DPs fail because they play on these teams that can not lose in Europe…then they come to MLS where you have to earn a victory, or the victory will not come. What happens ? They are exposed….and the victory doesn’t come.

Does FL have talent ? Of course, but it takes more than talent in a parity league. I hope NKufo isn’t the same type.

ps. I can hardly wait to see how Freddie spins it, it will probably be funnier than the title. Sounders wouldn’t extend his contract because he is not worth it, plain and simple.

• SSReporters says:

Many of these DPs fail because maybe, just maybe, they are well past their prime.

I know you like to spin MLS as the best league in the world but that’s a joke. That said Ljungberg has to go. I watch him and he’s not a factor.

• Charles says:

I do like to spin the MLS, you are correct, I have to counter the rediculousness out there. ( like the title of this article ;-) !!!! )

Why couldn’t Freddie handle the physical part of the MLS ? Which wasn’t the case in EPL I presume.
        He got pushed around like a 98 pound weakling.

GO MLS.

2. njndirish says:

A real DP is a player like Angel, Schelotto, Beckham in 2009, Emillio, and Blanco. They understand that the league is tough and they adjust their game to compensate. Hopefully with the cap space opened up, Seattle can bring in a player that fits into Sigi’s style.

3. Randy Capps says:

Perhaps “Freddie plotting Seattle escape” may have been a better title…

You can bet the spin machine will be on the fastest cycle, no matter what happens…

4. Allan says:

Freddie has the worst attitude on the team. Sigi cannot stand his antics on the pitch. Freddie spends more time chasing the center referee than the ball. As a season ticket holder, it is depressing to watch him whine his way through a match. Goodbye Freddie…. YOU WILL NOT BE MISSED

5. Rex says:

Despite his antics, we in Houston enjoyed his effort, drive and passion on the pitch. We will take him. Too bad he wasnt good enough to beat us in the playoffs last year though. :)

6. Dan says:

The Sounders have ALOT more problems than Ljungberg. But on him, he needs to go to New York. The Red Bulls should pick him up as a NON DP, he doesn’t deserve the money of a DP anymore, and pairing with Henry, Angel and possibly Marquez would reignite his career. As for Seattle they need to replace him with a VERY smart CM, a true maestro. Perhaps even Pires?

7. Lysander says:

Looks like Seattle may get Alvaro Fernandez to replace him. Less well known but apparently pretty good, and young!!! I am excited for the sounders and the league. Having a young DP to grow with the league will be nice!

• oscar says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing a young-blood for a DP. MLS had a reputation as an expensive retirement home before the Sounders expanded, and they certainly went for a similar logic. Even Nkufo’s in his 30′s.

• Charles says:

Sounders are going after a 24 year old midfielder that played 4 games for Uruguay in the World Cup. Rumor was he would be signed before the end of the week, but my guess is that it is delayed pending them dumping Ljungberg ( avoid the luxery tax )

8. Charles says:

As a Sounder’s fan I just want someone that has the desire that I have.
    With the talent that I don’t have. Hopefully Alvaro or whoever they pick up has that.
    Hopefully I will be making the “Rex post” next year.

Rex: You can not be serious about the effort and drive. His effort is pathetic. And his drive consists of yelling at the refs, when he gets shut down.

9. Heimdall says:

It’s obvious that Freddie’s flummoxed by MLS refereeing, but I find it absurd that you guys think that now it’s Freddie’s fault for the season. Since you guys are season ticket holders and remember how hard it was for the Sounders to score at home the second half of the season last year except for the Dallas game and so you’d remember too that early this year without Jaqua (9 goals, 7 assists and tall body of concern for the opposition on corners) the Sounders would be outplaying their opponents but couldn’t score. Then they lose Hurtado, Alonso (most irreplaceable Sounder in my eyes) and Evans, then stick in Vagenas and Ianni central midfield and they lose 1-3 twice and and look terrible. Exit Vagenas and enter Seamon and Sturgis and now things look a little better, right? This is the MLS and teams are not built for depth.

Ives twatted out yesterday that Seattle doesn’t want to extend FL at the money FL& Claes are asking for and at Freddie’s age I can’t blame him for not wanting to have to wait two months before joining a team again after his contract ends.

Unless the Sounders sign a DP, losing Ljungberg hurts the playoff chase. A front six of Kufo/Montero/Jaqua/Ljungberg/Zakuani/Alonso and with Evans filling in (and who knows where Fernandez fits in all of this) would be filthy after some time to gel. I would have just settled for Alonso and Jaqua. But it seems the prevailing view is that Freddie’s complaining has brought us to this point and not losing four (lone big nondefender/gk, an all star, 2nd best dmid in the league, an a nice, versatile young player with USMNT caps) starters. If Freddie ever plays as a Sounder on the road on ESPN2 again, I look to see if his complaining is a key to the game.

If other Sounder fans out there think the sky is falling I hope the front office doesn’t listen to you or else the Sounders will snatch Toronto’s (example: Cunny) title as most favored MLS trading partner as ex Sounders would thrive on other teams while gaining little value in return.

• Charles says:

Amen to Alonso, he came back and the team turned around. Mid game, mid season.

Ljungberg just doesn’t have what it takes. Blaming the MLS ref-ing is unbelievable. Are they out to get him ? Or the whole Sounder’s team ?
      I don’t think that the Seattle fans think the sky is falling, although the playoffs are looking like a dream, but they are starting to realize what I thought at the end of last year:
      He just can’t take a league that is very physical, a league that plays good D, and where the teams are not stacked in his favor…and he blames everyone else for it.

Sounders would be crazy to EXTEND his contract. I would quit paying it. I am not a huge fan of Sigi’s but I think that he agrees with me.

It will be interesting when Ljungberg cries about his time in MLS and starts his excuses and ripping on soccer in the US. I think Seattle has made it and will be pissed off, I think a lot of America will rip on MLS too.

• Jeromy says:

heimdall-
      I completely agree with you. This sounder year has been plagued with a bit of bad luck miss cues in the last 2mins and INJURIES. Losing FL does hurt play off chances but placing young talent like montano and seamon will help enegize the vet’s on the field. Fernandez will join once FL is gone, right now we have no cap space or international roster space with FL. it will be good when FL is gone, I appreciate his last years effort, was a Great start but the sounders are headed in another direction. A healthy Alonso is HUGE and Evans at mid-field is big as well, I believe with healthy body’s returning and possibly fernandez coming soon we make play offs, if we don’t hit play offs it will be close and a good start for next season. the FO is listening to the the fans when they picked up a goal scorer and CAM ^^

10. LjungbergISaBUM says:

Props to the Sounders for getting rid of that sellfish bastard.

11. Jeff says:

I feel for Freddie but then I don’t. Yeah we can all tell that he is not a fan of the play over here. To his defense though the officals never have control of any of the games I’ve watched. Being a Sounder season ticketet holder I see quite a few games plus the all the other games throughout the league that are televised as well and its shocking and frustrating to watch the missed calls or the “phantom” calls. Considering Ljungberg came from a top flight league I feel for him not liking the play and getting frustrated for not getting the calls you would get in the Premier League, but on the same token though he’s been here for a year and a half now… If things haven’t changed after one year, its rather pointless to keep complaining. Freddie I respect your ability and play but it just doesn’t look like your mentality and the MLS mesh well. I hope you do well wherever you end up. It was good while it lasted but just not suited for Major League Soccer.

Oh and P.S. Don Garber…

Maybe if you could bring in some decent officals to call these matches we wouldnt have the big names wanting to go back to play in legit leagues because you cant call a hand ball or a foul inside the box or an offside that really wasn’t. Keep it up… youre doing well. It wont be long before Epl, Spl, Serie A and Bundesliga will be televised and viewed more then your MLS….

12. Fart Master says:

Its sad that the fans are turning on Freddie the way they are. I am going to miss watching Freddie play on the pitch for Seattle every week. I like watching his speed and great passing ability. Kind of worried that the league will turn in to a league where we eat, chew and spit out great players instead of keeping them to nurture them to success.

13. Erik says:

Interesting to read the comments you make about Ljungberg and him not being able to cope with a very “physical league” and that he doesnt get the referee calls he would get in the EPL! You definitely didnt follow him during his almost 10 years with Arsenal. The english league is by far the most physically demanding league around and you cannot find referees that use the whistle and cards as little as the englishmen. Ljungberg has been voted amongst the Top 11 Players of all times in Arsenal and is one of the best that has ever played for the Swedish National team. You have definitely advanced greatly with the US National Team but you have a long way to go with the MLS. It is still extremely boring to watch and the only matches I watch is when players like Beckham, Ljungberg, Donovan, etc. are on the pitch.

14. Charles says:

Well, you are missing out, watching a washed up player like Ljungberg over Zakuani, Alonso and other new talent coming up.

IF he can handle the physical play of MLS, why didn’t he handle the physical play of MLS?

SERIOUSLY. He spent his whole game whining about the refs and how he didn’t get his latest bump that knocked him down called.
    And why is he the only one with this problem ?
    The “bad” reffing doesn’t affect someone with a sack like McBride ?

15. Garrett says:

I saw a couple people saying he could’nt handle the physical part of the MLS. Yes, the MlS has made great strides. The Premiere league is quite physical. To me it sounds like some people on here are over talking the MLS. We are still way behind Europe. We don’t attract the kind of players that English, German, Spanish, Italian teams bring in. In order for the MLS to keep moving forward is expand fan base, keep looking for good young talent and develope the youngsters early. Many European teams get the kids started at a young age. The only thing I’d like to see is better development, more attraction of high profile player, and we need to do away with the dumb two table system. I think we should go with a single table non playoff system, much like many other leagues. I think it makes everygame count, rather than crap teams having a chance for the title. I believe in our league, and we will keep growing. But we can learn from other leagues also.