SUN, 8:30AM ET
CRY
SUN, 3PM ET
LEV
BAR

Harry Redknapp Likes What He Sees Of MLS

Harry Redknapp Likes What He Sees Of MLS

Tottenham Hotspur kicks off their U.S. tour with a week of training in San Jose and a friendly with the Earthquakes Saturday afternoon (televised on ESPN). On a sun-splashed field at the Quakes Nutrilite Training Facility — situated adjacent to the proposed new stadium site — Harry Redknapp and his staff had his players conduct a full training session in front of an audience of over 1000 local soccer supporters.

With the players going through stretching exercises, an abbreviated field 8 v. 8 scrimmage, and a training-ending finishing drill, the fans in attendance enjoyed an opportunity to see Spurs up close and personal. Many were decked out in Earthquakes jerseys, while a large contingent wore the red-and-white checkerboard kits of Croatia. The Tottenham players seemed to relish the attention and were gracious with their time as they signed autographs for all who wanted them.

For many, it was a chance to see Premier League players in person. But it was also an opportunity to represent their local club, the San Jose Earthquakes, and show Tottenham the importance of MLS in the soccer community. Head coach Harry Redknapp welcomed the chance to bring his team to the U.S. and shared some positive thoughts after Spurs training on the future of the game in the States.

“I think there are so many good young players in the U.S. and the talent pool is immense,” said Redknapp. “You see that now in the World Cup, where I thought the US did very well. There are some good players here, and I think it is only a matter of time before the US becomes a real force in world soccer.”

So much of that starts by having a successful domestic soccer league. Redknapp knows something about soccer in America — he was a player, then a coach with the Seattle Sounders of the NASL back in the 1970s. He shared that even then he could see the potential of young American players, but that the opportunities were lacking for them to make the jump to elite international level.

“I spent some good time in Seattle,” said Redknapp, “and I took some young American players with me back home to England where they did fantastic. But they came back here and there was no where for them to go to learn and progress. Still, the talent was here to be sure.”

With MLS in its 15th year of existence, the development opportunities for the domestic player have dramatically improved. However, Redknapp did warn about a major problem he saw back in the NASL that he hopes won’t be repeated in MLS — chiefly, the signing of aging superstars from overseas.

“As the MLS gets stronger and you get the right types of players,” cautioned Redknapp, “the most important thing is that the people you bring over are the right types of players. You need good professionals that can come over and work with the younger players. You don’t want guys coming over to take the money and then show no interest in American soccer. They need to encourage the young players and be role models that they can learn from.”

MLS man-of-the-moment Thierry Henry was presented as an example by Redknapp as a player that would be a big positive for the New York Red Bulls and the league as a whole.

“Thierry Henry is a fantastic player,” exclaimed the Spurs coach. “He’s one of the greatest players ever to grace the Premier League in England, and a great guy off the field as well. He’ll be a great asset to MLS. He is a class guy and fantastic footballer.”

Tottenham goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini was also keenly aware of the Frenchman’s arrival to the U.S. He concurred with his head coach about the newest MLS designated player.

“Henry will have a great impact on the MLS,” shared the Italian goalkeeper. “He is a great player with success wherever he played. He has helped his teams win many trophies. He has a great experience, and it will be great for the younger players to see him play. He will be a great ambassador for the league.”

When asked if he would consider a move to MLS, Cudicini remained diplomatic. At nearly full fitness after a long recovery from injuries suffered in a motorbike accident late last year, the goalkeeper still hoped to make an impact this season for Spurs. Any plans to play in the U.S. will have to wait for now.

“The MLS has always been a league I’ve looked to,” said Cudicini. “I love the way Americans love sports, not just soccer. I really admire the American sports fans. So maybe one day, I would. I am 37 years old now, so I am not young anymore, but you never know.”

A full healthy and motivated Cudicini could very much be an asset to MLS, but his skills have definitely diminished from his glory days at Chelsea. Still, players of his character can be valuable as teachers and role models of the sport to young American players. With the profile of MLS expanding overseas, and the recent success of the U.S. Men’s National Team at the World Cup Finals fresh in people’s minds, perhaps more players in or near their prime will make the trip to the U.S.

“MLS is a league that is coming on well, and you can see from the World Cup that the US did very well,” said Cudicini. “You see more and more American players coming to Europe to play in challenging leagues. MLS is definitely a league that is getting better and better and you are now seeing good players from Europe going there as well.”

Tottenham will leave San Jose early next week and make the trip to Harrison, N.J. to play another MLS side — the New York Red Bulls. The Summer of Soccer has begun; let’s enjoy the opportunity to show the world what MLS can accomplish.

9 Responses to Harry Redknapp Likes What He Sees Of MLS

1. DrunkHarry says:

I was at this event and it was awesome. Much thanks to the Spurs players and Quakes staff. The FO really nailed it with this one… A+ job.

Alex Smith from the 49ers was there too and a Niners video team took video of him playing soccer and american football with the spurs players.

2. ampf mexcity says:

I wish one of the Brit suits who come over here on these meaningless, endless summer exhibition tours would tell the press something like, “The bottom line is, we’re here to cash in and take you Yank suckers for a ride. We’re not even going to play our stars, and even if we did we wouldn’t try hard. Moreover, I think MLS sucks and Americans are too stupid to learn how to play soccer right.” Wouldn’t that be more honest than the robotic, insincere praise for MLS and US soccer potential every one of these guys spouts? Because I’m pretty sure I read the exact same quote a few months ago, but from Alex Ferguson when he was in New York. Like, these guys pretty clearly don’t think very highly of American soccer, and I’m going to hate them and their overrated teams anyhow, so why don’t they just skip the public relations BS? For myself, not only do I dislike the EPL, I don’t think England is really that great at soccer, and if anyone cared enough about what I think to let me hold a press conference, I’d say so.

• DrunkHarry says:

“public relations bs”?? Public relations/marketing is critical to the growth of the league. This event drew a ton of Croatia and Spurs fans who have probably never been to a Quakes game. As a SJ season ticket holder I welcome the potential new fans.

3. DennyBoy says:

Look’s like “amph mexcity” has a bit of an inferiority complex toward’s English and NorthAmerican football. Sure MLS is’nt on the same level as Europe but it is growing rapidly and has enormous potential and will become a viable league.How far along was Mexican football after 15 year’s?MLS surely will surpass the league south of the border and as the league expands and grows in popularity and start’s to turn a profit you will see Mexican player’s coming north in masses to play in MLS. Like it or not “amph” ,the Yanks are here to stay, get used to it.By the way I don’t see Spurs going down there to play Cruz Azul so you’r argument is weak. And as for Yank’s being to stupid to play right, how come we have you guy’s picking our fruit for us you filthy wanker(LOL)!

4. james says:

How can you call Tottenham overrated?

• Charles says:

what have they won ?

• Gaz Hunt says:

What?!

The First Division title twice, the FA Cup eight times, the League Cup four times, and the UEFA Cup twice.

• Charles says:

When whoever was asking how can you call TH overrated I assumed they were talking now, not 1983 or whenever they won EUFA

Good thing I am old, so some of those happened in my lifetime.
          Seriously, they will be 300-1 shots to win the EPL next year, if it is that good.
          Plus you would be a fool to bet it, because it ain’t happening.

5. Blue Helmet says:

WOW! We went from zero to xenophobe in just two or three posts! Congratulations everyone! We’re all bona fide assholes. “Amph” has a point, this is all profiteering, and diplomacy. But the supporters of MLS also have a point, any press is good press and you can expect an oak tree from a sapling in one season. AMPH, check back with the MLS in 10 years. You’ll see changes and I suspect positive growth. The rest of you, you have to admit that English football is suffering from a “crisis of character” right now. If you deduct the best foreign players in the EPL, you’re left with a great league, but nothing with which to dominate the football world. The same is true for all leagues run by big money. I, for one, cannot stand Mexican soccer but I am realistic to admit that MOST of the time an MLS side plays a Mexican side, the results favor the Mexican side. MLS has a long way to go, but for a Mexican league fan to deride the MLS because no big teams (save Man U) are playing south of the border is silly. Teams from Europe come to the US because there are expatriate fans, good sports medicine facilities, great sites to see, and plenty of money around for them to take.