Thierry Henry Moves To The MLS

Thierry Henry Moves To The MLS

Ex-Arsenal hitman Thierry Henry has switched to the MLS to play with the New York Red Bulls from Barcelona on a multi year contract. The 32 year old has become out of favour at the Nou Camp and makes the switch to America after three years at Barcelona.

A statement from the Red Bulls said Henry was expected to make his debut on 22nd July against Tottenham at Red Bull Arena for the Barclays New York Challenge.

Henry said, “This marks an exciting new chapter in my career and life. It is an honour to play for the New York Red Bulls. I am fully aware of the team’s history and my sole goal during my time here is to help win the club its first championship. Knowing Red Bull’s significant commitment to soccer locally and internationally, I am confident that my team-mates and I will succeed.”

Erik Soler, Red Bull New York general manager and sporting director, said: “Thierry is not only a world-class player who will undoubtedly improve our squad, but he has shown most importantly throughout his career that he is a winner. He has made it clear to us that he is committed in the short and long term to help in our vision of making our organisation the premium franchise in Major League Soccer.”

Henry’s move to New York is understandable, given the rise in football over in America. Beckham plays in America, the performances of the American national team and the constant media swirl about Ronaldinho’s potential move to LA Galaxy to play alongside Beckham gives more advantages to moving to America. Henry, at 32, is falling out of favour at Barcelona and with the French squad, so he will probably spend his twilight years at Red Bulls, much like Best, Pele and now Beckham before him spent theirs in the MLS.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Thierry Henry Moves To The MLS

1. CTBlues says:

Can I get a custom jersey with a big hand on the back instead of a number?

On a serious note I hope he does well in the MLS and helps the Redbulls win a MLS title and I can’t wait to see how the Revoluition fans treat him. God I love pissing people off people from Mass. >=D

2. Fee says:

Moving to the MLS isn’t as much of an issue as it used to be. By snapping up players such as Beckham, Juan Pablo Ángel and now Henry it shows they are serious about bringing up the standard of Football and that they have a long term goal rather than just throwing money at the issue.
    If Thierry plays at 50% capacity he will tear the opposition to shreds week in week out. If he plays at 100% well, good help us all!! :)
    I can’t wait to see him play over here and have a sneaking suspiscion that he will be “on loan” to Arsenal during the off-season.

• patrick says:

I don’t they ever want to be a serious league. They want to fill seats. If they want to ever be a ‘serious league’ they’d need to dump the salary caps. Many junior rotation players make less playing in MLS then a low level managers at a fast food chains.

But clubs realize that you only need one or two names per club.

• hank says:

I’m not really a fan of the MLS, but this seems harsh. Filling seats, and making the MLS a “serious league” are two sides of the same coin. MLS will never be a serious league unless people are paying money to watch games, and the more serious the league, the more potential money people are likely to spend.

That is, the league owners are financially vested in making the MLS a serious league. You may disagree about whether they’re going about it in the best way, but that’s different from claiming they simply don’t care.

• Patrick says:

When you get too big for your own britches, thats when the league fails. Salary caps are in place so teams don’t fold due to financial reasons, which is smart. Give the league another 5-10 years and the salary cap system will mostlikely be drastically different.

• Joe says:

Exactly right. The reason the MLS has such a strict cap because in the 1970s there was a US League (NASL) that bankrupted itself by paying too much in salaries before there was the fan support to justify that kind of spending. MLS is growing slowly and smartly…

3. CR7 says:

Another aging player collecting a pay check, yeah that will get me to watch the MLS.

• njndirish says:

Within reality, what would MLS have to do to get you to watch?

• AtlantaPompey says:

Short of putting a team in Atlanta?

I like that they are signing a few ‘name’ players. This will sell tickets, generate interest, raise tv ratings, all of which will generate more money for the league. The league then has to do something positive with that money, like develop quality players, pay the entire roster a living wage, attract talent before they are past their prime, etc. This is a good step, in my opinion, on the long road to a respectable league.

• Patrick says:

As much as I hate to admit this, the MLS is stupid to not have a team in Atlanta. Growing up playing (we traveled to Georgia several times to play),watching olympic games around the Athens area, and seeing how the state really is with the sport through various other avenues. I have to say Georgia is probably one of the states that is more serious about the sport than the many I’ve been to or played in.(discounting most of the west coast, haven’t traveld extensively or played over their)

4. Mike says:

MLS takes one more step toward becoming the NASL and, of course, oblivion.

• njndirish says:

Look at the “over the hill” players in MLS
      -Blanco-played and scored in the World Cup
      -Beckham-I kept reading in EPLTalk comments in how much people really needed him on the England squad. 5 Live wouldn’t shutup about it
      -Ljundberg-Sweden looked lost without him in qualifying
      -Blaise-Started in the World Cup
      -JPA-My friend from Colombia told me they needed him in qualifying, even if he came off the bench

Am I missing anyone?

MLS has long abandoned the bring in a aging name without any legs. This isn’t 1997 anymore.

• Patrick says:

Just to add, there are a decent ammount of guys that got their starts in MLS that played well and contributed to their teams over seas
        Howard
        Dempsey
        Holden
        Brian Mcbride
        Brad Guzan
        Friedal
        Hanneman
        Michael Bradley

The MLS will continue to get better and become more relavent for years to come dispite the naysayers.

5. Amanda says:

1. It’s not “the MLS.” It’s MLS.
    2. Best and Pele played in NASL, not MLS. You have a sister site all about this league. A little less condescension and a little more fact-checking would go a long way.