FRI, 2:30PM ET
HOU
FRI, 8:30PM ET
USA
MEX

Thierry Henry Introduced To New York & The League

Thierry Henry Introduced To New York & The League

It was a warm and a bit muggy Thursday afternoon as the MLS Summer Transfer Window officially opened on July 15th. That window opened so wide & one of the world’s greatest strikers of the game finally entered to make his announcement that he is here to play and be competitive for the club and the city of New York.

Former French International striker Thierry Henry was introduced to the local media as well as the visiting English, French and Spanish media as he walked out of the tunnel and waiting for him on the pitch was MLS Commissioner Don Garber, head of Red Bull Global soccer Dieter Beiersdorfer, RBNY Sporting Director Erik Soler & Head Coach Hans Backe to present him his scarf and jersey.

“It is without question that Thierry Henry is one of the most successful and recognizable soccer players over the past 15 years,” said Beiersdorfer. “We are thrilled that Thierry has decided to come to New York to help the Red Bulls compete for championships this year and for years to come. His international pedigree is second to none and he is a proven winner.”

Ever since Eric Soler was hired to right the ship with bringing in the best players and find talented Americans in the MLS Super Draft, he knew that this club which has done a good so far this season needed to get better and better. Bringing in Henry or a player like Henry was needed to help this club move forward. “Thierry is not only a world class player who will undoubtedly improve our squad, but he has shown most importantly throughout his career that he is a winner,” said Soler. “He has made it clear to us that he is committed in the short and long term to help in our vision of making our organization the premium franchise in Major League Soccer.”

Then it was time for the man of the hour to speak and he made it quite clear that he wasn’t making a return to the city on another vacation, he came over to ply his trade in football at Red Bull Arena. “Well as you can see, I’m just thrilled to be here.” said Henry. “Everybody knows that I love this city. But I can assure you that I came here to try to win. That is the most important thing. I’m a competitor, and I’m sure the boss will put a team out there to be sure that we can do it.

Many questions were asked about his time with the French squad during their self destruction at the World Cup, if he knew how many Americans were watching the World Cup Final between the Netherlands and Spain and if he believes the game is growing the right way in the United States. Very calm answers from Henry and it sounds like he is showing respect for Americans who have fallen in love of the sport.

He will not be available for the club this coming Saturday for their road trip to the Columbus Crew, but after the Barclays New York Challenge his first league match will be on the road at the Houston Dynamo and Robertson Stadium. So the Orange crush should be on the lookout for Angel & Henry.

13 Responses to Thierry Henry Introduced To New York & The League

1. Abram says:

Does anyone know if ESPN plans to air his debut? I don’t get Direct Kick, or Fox Soccer, so I would really like to see his debut on ESPN2.

2. Daniel Feuerstein says:

Sunday August 9th at Chicago, but could make an interview appearence on the All-Star Game. His league debut is at Houston. Also your going to have to head over to the pub to watch Thierry Henry during the Barclays New York Challenge, since it will be on Fox Soccer Channel.

3. Football fan says:

It’s me again, and this will be my last post on the subject. But the Red Bulls wasted the golden opportunity to have Henry help clinch the 2nd CCL spot in 3 years for the Bulls by winning the USOC. I’m still sickened by seeing a NYRB B team against Harrisburg. You don’t send a B team when you are 3 wins away from the CCL. If you are 1 win from the playoffs, that’s 3 wins away from the CCL. Do you send a B team then??? HELL NO!

That was the case in the USOC match, except it was against the easiest opposition NYRB could have hoped for. And they shit the bed. It’s like being handed a million bucks, only to flush it down the toilet.

• bradjmoore48 says:

“I am now openly rooting for NYRB to fail miserably. That’s if I can get any time to since most of my time will be spent watching superior football in the Prem.”

Wow, real loyalty you got there. If I was a Red Bull, I wouldn’t want you as a fan.

May not even matter: CONCACAF is debating whether the USOC CCL spot should just be given to the next best team in MLS standings (after Supporters Shield and MLS Cup winner and runner-up). The US Open Cup only shows who has the best B team in MLS.

Why would you want to qualify through US Open when you still have an excellent shot at getting in by making it to the MLS Cup Final, even without Henry?

Finally,

YOU’RE GETTING UPSET OVER THE US OPEN CUP!?!?! ARE YOU SARIOUS?!?!?

• Daniel Feuerstein says:

Hey Football fan keep on making a fool of yourself. Since you are rooting for RBNY to fail, do me and every REAL RBNY supporter a favor. Turn in your Red Bull Jerseys to the closest Soccer Shop, we don’t need you anymore.

• Football fan of Manchester United says:

I never bought one, thank God.

Hey Brad, they won’t take the CCL spot away from the USOC in the middle of the tournament, that’d be retarded. So yes, I was upset over the USOC. But now, NYRB are irrelevant to me.

I now support MUFC, a team that cares about making the CL, unlike NYRB. And I doubt the pink cows will qualify thru the league. I’ll bet you 50 bux they won’t.

• sergio lima says:

Let me ask you something. And don’t get me wrong, please. I am a foreigner, so, I am still learning a lot of stuff. But why so many Americans had the habit of mixed up criticism with dislike? Just because somebody is criticizing the Red Bull he or she is not welcome anymore? Really? First of all, how many fans this team has? Can you afford to just kick everybody you don’t like out? I will tell you one thing. I am 46 years old and I am from Brazil, from Sao Paulo city. The city of many great soccer teams, but in my opinion, none like mine Sport Club Corinthians. This team is the only thing in my life that makes me cry when I am mad and when I am happy. I fell like an idiot. I am a very serious man. So, that crazy felling I have for my soccer team is something I can’t explain and sometimes make me fell kind of stupid. I like it and I almost hate it. And when I almost hate it I will go on every single blog in Brazil and will let them know about my dissatisfaction. I will get mad at the team, at some of the players, at the coach and at the president. Of course, I don’t get mad only because the team loses, losing is part of the game but sometimes, when the entire job is obviously planned wrong, then you have to watch the team be eliminated… At that moment I will really express my frustration. But never, never in my experience of years, either at the stadium, on the radio, on the tv or now on the blogs, I never had anybody who likes the same team I do telling me or anybody else to go away. We are 17 million fans and we want more. We are brothers, man. I can’t believe you don’t have that same sense in here. The team, the victories, the championships and the criticism… At the end of the day, are the least important things when you love that soccer experience, my friend. That is how my fellow clubmen would calm me down, they always said (And only God knows how I miss that) We are all here brother, no matter what, if they win, we are here, if they loose, we are here, the only thing we want is to watch their playing their hearts out, if they do that, we will love them no matter what. So, I can only tell you. IT IS the brotherhood, man. We love each other and we will take care of each other. We welcome when our guys bring their little boy or girl for the first time, we get tears in our eyes when somebody brings their really old parents because they want to watch in the stadium the team playing for one last time. We don’t care when one of us screwed up and say s__t, we are, like we sing in the stadium, a bunch of crazies, crazy for our Corinthians. I can only wish you guys may someday have that same passion for your team and for your brothers in the stands.

Take a look and you may understand that the game…well…The game is…the game and we are there to push them.

When you leave the stadium after a game, you know you were part of the game.

Cheers.

• Daniel Feuerstein says:

Honestly Sergio, I can’t take it when you have people say that they have had enough of a club because they need to make an excuse to leave. If they didn’t want to support the club, then they shouldn’t have started.

Here in the USA there are some people who would rather support only a Euro Club side than a American club side. And to be honest that’s fine if that person wants to do it, because we love this game. But stop acting like a fraud when you stand up on a soap box and say you’ve had enough of this club because you need a reason.

Either you do it, or you don’t.

• sergio lima says:

Daniel, in my opinion, you must act more like a recruiter. When somebody tell bad things about your team, you must have other ten good things to tell them about it. Like me, for example, I live in South Virginia but lived in South Jersey for five years. My family is there. I had criticized the MLS in many ways for not allow the teams to be more competitive internationaly, but, after watching the first game at the new stadium build for the Philly team, I called my brother, three times already, to tell him to go and support the team. I liked what I saw, the families and all. So, I can garantee that you must have a lot of good selling points about the New York Red Bull, use it. One thing is talking on the blog, other is watching a game on tv and another thing completely different is visiting the stadium and watch a game there. So, even for those who don’t like to follow the MLS team for any reason, you should be pitching at them. I already decided, my next time in Philly to visit with my folks will have to be at the same time the Union plays at their home stadium. I will see it. But that is only my oppinion. Don’t forget, most of the euro snobs like soccer. And most of them had never been in a stadium before, or had been way too long. You got to bring them in. Even if not for the game, for the experience. Once their are there, they may even pay more attention to the game and, who knows, end up buying a team t-shirt and start (without anybody in their house seeing) watching a MLS game on tv. Take care.

4. God bless you, my favorite star–Henry. You are great MAN.

5. Daniel Feuerstein says:

Sergio I thank you so much for your comments. It’s not about sounding like a recruiter, which I try not to be. All I want is for Americans who love the game everywhere else to please support the game in the USA. I know the level is not at the European & South American level, but it is improving.

Have some pride that in the USA we have our own league & we are developing players for the National Team. But please stop wasting the time and announcing the reason why you are leaving the local club. Just leave and do it quietly. I’ll give you more respect that way.

But if there is someone who has never been to a match here, I don’t mind helping them out. If they like it, then great. If not then at least they gave it a shot and that’s all I can ask from them.

• sergio lima says:

I think your love for the league and your team is something very special and I admire you for that. And on this last coment you made I understood completely what you said and I agree with you. But I must tell you that I will continue to be a hard critic of the league and the teams, but just because I want to see a team from the MLS disputing the FIFA world cup for clubs instead of Mexican teams all the time. I want the American teams from the MLS to achive the same respect the USA national team had finally, I want the American teams from the MLS playing against the big boys of South America and Europe inside an official competition and not only on friendly games, I want to see they beating those guys on games for real. That is why you will hear me and my broken English once and a while criticizing the teams and the league. I hope you understand that. And, I tell you, the day they do it, I promise you I will be one of the first ones writing about it and applaunding them. Cheers.

6. Jeffrey says:

Does anyone know how much he will be making here in the MLS? I like the move and want him to succeed here. I’m not his biggest fan but I think he will prove to be a great role model in this league.