SAT, 7AM ET
SAT, 10AM ET
NEW
CRY
SAT, 10AM ET
QPR
SUN

What Will You Miss Most About the World Cup?

What Will You Miss Most About the World Cup?

A World Cup Final is one of mixed emotions. Elation at the prospect of watching a game between the two best teams in a tournament. Depression at the thought that after the last kick is made, we have to wait another four years before the tournament begins again. It’s far too long of a wait.

But looking back over the past 64 games and several weeks, what are the things you’ll miss the most? For me, there are several. I’ll miss the wall-to-wall coverage of the World Cup on ESPN. It’s extremely rare to get that amount of coverage of soccer on a mainstream sports TV network. It completely permeated the American culture for so long this summer. The other thing I’ll miss is hearing so many strangers talking about the sport. People who are obviously not soccer fans, but they’re taken a massive interest in the tournament. And last, but not least, I’ll miss the throngs of people I met at a local sports bar who came together to watch the beautiful game. Living in such a transient area of the country as South Florida, I’m so used to watching soccer in my home and rarely with other people. So it’s been a wonderful experience sharing the highs and lows of the tournament with the few thousand people who walked through the doors of Wowies.

So, tell me what you’ll miss most about the 2010 World Cup and post your reply in the comments section below. In the meantime, here are the answers from some of the tweeple that follow EPL Talk on Twitter when I posed the question Saturday afternoon:

“having a socially acceptable excuse to drink at 6:30 in the morning,” @7500_Kirsten

“getting off work to watch,” @The_Real_DA

“People talking about football anytime, the England squad, the Deutschland squad and David Beckham,” @harumipevensie

“having something to do at work. It’s kept me entertained through some long afternoons,” @jessiann16

“50% of the ESPN staff talking through gritted teeth about a sport they find boring but wildly popular (backed up by HUGE ratings),” @caryfc

“Watching US games of global importance (hopefully we’ll see some in 3 & 4 years’ time!),” @vaguehalfie

“The soothing sound of the vuvuzela! Seriously, it went from being annoying to being a welcome harbinger of a great tournament,” @mwfreel

“I will miss that every time there is a vuvuzela concert, an international soccer match breaks out,” @D_oubleD

“Sanni Kaita,” @MrEdgal

“Fernando Torres’ freckles!” @melly2508

“Will miss Diego Maradona the most…Next will b Larissa n Paul D Octopus!” @mansinghnepram

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to What Will You Miss Most About the World Cup?

1. man99utd says:

I will miss the amount of time spent watching with my sons. Football has bridged the teenage gap that is so hard to do. They’ve been invited by friends to hang out but instead have decided to watch the final with me. Family and Football, doesn’t get any better…..

• The Gaffer says:

Good point. I’ll also miss watching this World Cup with my kids – which is the first World Cup they ever watched. I’ll also miss working on our 2010 World Cup Panini collection together.

2. Cricketlover says:

I’ll miss the anticipation of upcoming matches which came daily, except for the latter stages. In no other tournament do you get to see 64 matches played out over just one month and by quality teams. I’ll also miss watching so many different styles of football being played at the World Cup.

Finally, I’ll miss that for once every football fan in the world was watching, following and discussing the same event. It seemed as if we were all interconnected even if physically apart. Truly incredible.

3. JW says:

I’ll miss the anticipation: looking forward the night before to waking up and catching the 7:30 a.m. game, checking the next few days’ schedules to choose which match I was most excited for, and especially anticipating the next U.S. match and analyzing how they needed to organize and approach their opponent (and how the coach would do something entirely different. haha). Even during the past week or so it’s felt like a bit of a letdown knowing I’d have to wait a few days for the next match. Fortunately, only a month until the Premier League kicks off!

4. paul Brown says:

I’ll miss the England hype all before I laugh as they are exposed as being overated as usual! Every 4 years (they don’t qualify for Euro’s), England will win, then they are beaten convincingly hahaha, you couldn’t make this stuff up!

• Well I rather be seen as over-rated than just plain shit like your team is. No one thinks they will do anything because everyone views them and there league as being a load of crap anyway.
      I’m sure only America could be so up there own arse after going through a tourney where they led a game for a total of three minutes.
      A team that were 3 minutes away from being knocked out in the group stage like they usually are.
      Why don’t you guys just keep high-fiving each other about how shit you are and how lucky you were to get out of the group and the rest of the world can continue to laugh at you.

• The Gaffer says:

Poker, welcome back ;)

Is this the same United States team that finished above England in the 32 teams that participated in the 2010 World Cup? The same United States team that was welcomed back to its home country as heroes, while the England team took an early flight to its own country to avoid the backlash of the media and supporters?

• Yeah, it’s the same U.S team that were three minutes away from going out in the group and the same team that was lucky to get anything out of the England game.
          I presume you do know that leading in a game for 3 minutes during an entire tournament is nothing to shout about?
          Bradley may have got some kind of team spirit going but player for player you’re not even in the same ball park as the England team and anyone who thinks otherwise clearly knows nothing about the game.
          (although that’s probably most of the people who write and comment on this site).

• paul Brown says:

Player for player, England have an impressive namelist, however players don’t win titles, teams do, the USA have a more cohesive team than England.

• Kevin_Amold says:

“A team whose two best players couldn’t play for anyone better than an average prem team like Fulham”

That’s what makes the accomplishments of the USA team impressive and the accomplishments of the England team somewhat pathetic.

• mitch says:

Ah yes Fulham. The only english squad who made a europeon final

• paul Brown says:

Haha, me, American? I don’t think so! I am German, so maybe you’ll understand why it is amusing to see England always portray themselves as powerhouses, and Germany seen as also-rans, yet we have been in 1 final and 2 semi finals in the last 3 tournaments! Want me to go further back in time??!!

Americans weren’t too bad, they never boasted of winning the tournament, and at least they went down fighting and enhancing their reputation.

• Yeah you sound German with a name like Paul Brown, pathetic. Should I start saying I’m Spanish? Hold on I’ll quickly go and change my avaatar and my name to Pedro.
          OMG, I’m glad I’m only passing by on this site I can see things haven’t changed much, LOL

5. sucka99 says:

i’ll miss the World Cup Report on Sky – where I got all the stories and the color and pageantry that other channels missed.