MON, 3PM ET
AJA
TUES, 2:45PM ET
SCH
SPC

The Game In America Is Growing And Support Is Coming From The Ballparks

The Game In America Is Growing And Support Is Coming From The Ballparks

I guess you guys are wondering why I put the hat logo of this Minor League Baseball Team as a starter to this article. Well to be honest it all intertwines with the support of the World’s favorite game and how it has had steady growth. I think we already know about those European or foreign professional athletes who play in the four leagues of the United States and Canada.

Kevin Garnett, Chad Johnson (It’s not Ocho Cinco anymore, Darrell Revis of the New York Jets won his bet), Kobe Bryant & of course the many players from Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Germany, Canada & the USA who play in the National Hockey League enjoy watching the game. But we rarely see those from Major League Baseball discuss about the World Cup or the game here. Bobby Abreu of the LA Angels of Anaheim who is from Venezuela is a fan and did come to Giants Stadium to watch the Red Bulls play when he was on the New York Yankees.

Americans who love the game is Shortstop Jack Wilson of the Seattle Mariners. When he was with the Pittsburgh Pirates and being interviewed on the pre-game show he wore a USA Soccer shirt and hat, of course recently Jozy Altidore was seen sitting in the NY Mets dugout with third baseman David Wright having a laugh before the game during batting practice.

But here is my story that should make everyone have a nice feeling that there are plenty of positives coming from those that play the game of baseball give respect to the world’s game that is known as Soccer/Football. Most of you know I traveled about a week ago to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania to cover the Round 3 match of the US Open Cup as the New York Red Bulls faced the City Islanders of USL-2nd Division.

The sportsplex is on an actual Island along the Susquehanna River and can be reached from the main land by the Market St. car bridge or the Walnut St. walking bridge. The Minor League Baseball Stadium is towards the north end of the island and behind it is the soccer park where the City Islanders play their matches.

Now here is where it became full circle for me and my surprise at the same time. On the 4th of July weekend, my wife and I drove down to Trenton, New Jersey to see the Thunder (Double A Baseball level of the New York Yankees) play the Harrisburg Senators. We were sitting next to the visiting team’s dugout and as the game was finishing up I asked one of the players if his teammate was o.k. after taking a pitch that hit him in the left wrist.

After feeling concern I talked with starting pitcher Aaron Thompson who was traded from the Florida Marlins organization to the Washington Nationals and told him I was in Harrisburg for the US Open Cup match. To my greatest surprise he knew what I was talking about and he told me that he wished he was still in Harrisburg that day to watch the game, but was on the road in Portland, Maine to play the Sea Dogs.

To hear Aaron Thompson discuss soccer like it was a part of his life for a long time was refreshing. He told me he wants to see Red Bull Arena and down in Harrisburg on a re-hab assignment is Washington Nationals starting pitcher and Long Island native John Lannan, who currently has season tickets with his family at New York Red Bulls matches.

Aaron Thompson hails from Houston, Texas and when I informed him of the new agreement for the Dynamo’s new stadium, he was so happy to hear it that he can’t wait for the shovel or the actual construction of the stadium to start. What a fabulous thing to hear and the hope for the games continued growth in the United States keeps on going and going up. I think we can have the belief that it won’t surpass Baseball or the NFL in this country. But as long as the game is respected and can join in along with the talk on all the sports shows on TV & Radio, that is very reasonable to ask for and right now it has been going in that direction. But there is one more thing about Mr. Thompson that I would love to add.

He knows that the US National Team program is improving & Major League Soccer is growing. He can’t wait to see our country one day win the World Cup and to see MLS as the top league in the world. We have to support our league because it will give us the best chance for our National Team to win the World Cup. When those magical days come, it will be very exciting to see & I hope Mr. Thompson has a good and long career when he reaches Major League Baseball and the Washington Nationals.

This entry was posted in Leagues: Major League Soccer, Major League Soccer. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to The Game In America Is Growing And Support Is Coming From The Ballparks

1. Rick says:

“Americans who love the game is Shortstop Jack Wilson of the Seattle Mariners.”

“But here is my story that should make everyone have a nice feeling that there are plenty of positives coming from those that play the game of baseball give respect to the world’s game that is known as Soccer/Football.”

You actually typed those (and many other) sentences? Basic English, please.

Here’s a tip: type your story and read it aloud to yourself. Then re-write and re-read aloud. When it sounds coherent, press “publish”.

2. EuropeanSnop, sowhat? says:

Nice article, but the ending paragraph killed the entire thing. Okay, one thing is to hope that one day the US might win the world cup, which can be realistic but the MLS one day being the top league in the world?? (Jaw drops) Are you actually being serious? What does Mr.Thompson plan to do? Wipe out Europe entirely from the map? Cuz, y’know that’s the only way that would happen. South Americans leagues like Brazil or Argentina and even Mexican leuage have a better chance of one day coming close to the European leagues, but Mr.Thompson is a bit delusional if he thinks the MLS has that chance…Geez, talk about being overly optimistic

• Daniel Feuerstein says:

But the point is this. He believes in MLS And he believes in the US National Team. And honestly you are over exagerating this alot. You have to understand that he feels proud of being an American. He wants the sport in the States to do well.

And as always a Euro Snob will find a way to trash it. This is called MLS Talk.

• MarylandBill says:

When one considers the success of Brazil in the World Cup, you might think that their top league should already compete with the best of the European Leagues. Why not? Simple, money. While the economies of Brazil and Argentina have made some great strides in the last decade or so, they still can’t support the revenue necessary to keep their best players and to attract the best players from outside Brazil.

That is where the USA has the advantage. If the USA ultimately embraces soccer and it starts drawing regular TV numbers that are say half of what the NFL draws, then the MLS has a shot. Not that I necessarily expect it to happen, but it could.

3. Abram says:

I’m curious as to when ESPN will start showing MLS highlights. They don’t run in their Top 10, they don’t have recaps, there is no MLS show as there is with baseball, hockey, NFL, college football, and basketball. The die hard niche fans are there, now MLS needs to advertise to everyone else. ESPN seems to have a somewhat vested interest in MLS succeeding so they need to give us something.

4. Tom says:

I enjoyed the article. I think Rick is my English teacher.

5. Tbpirate says:

Nice article. I agree that ESPN needs to start showing MLS highlights during Sportscenter or have a nighly soccer show much like World Cup Primetime. I read today that because of the great ratings from the Cup, ESPN is thinking about adding more soccer coverage and perhaps a soccer only channel, much like FSC.

It is great to hear and read that other sports professional enjoy and respect footballers. Now only if some of these jock sniffers on sports radio, tv and local print can do the same. We are lucky in West Central FLA that Steve Dumig and Darek Sharp on 620 WDAE played the game and give is love. Also AM 1010 Mike Pepper a former pro player gives love too.

Again great article. Dont worry about mr. grammer police, I understood you fine.

• Daniel Feuerstein says:

Thank you very much. I’m not worried about it at all since I have edited it, read it many times and then published it. But if they think they are so smart, then they should sign up for MLS Talk and write one themselves.

At least I made the trip to Harrisburg, they should be greatful. But at the same time, go and take a trip yourselves. I took Amtrak and the cost one way is $47. Entertainment Discount card at the Crown Plaza in Harrisburg was $97 for one night.

It was well worth it and the town is a fantastic place to be.

6. Charles says:

The Sports Guy ( ESPN.com ) was saying in an article that they said soccer had made it here in the 80s with NASL, in the 90s with MLS and the US team making the World Cup finals every four years and then now.
    But this time he thought it was for real.

He brought up the lady factor. First time my wife enough knew what was going on at all. Known her for four WCups now.

I don’t listen to most sport radio in Seattle, because it stinks, but the last Sounder’s announcer has a show, and none of them can rip on soccer or risk losing a LOT of fans.
    That is a BIG difference from the 1980s.

7. Footballer says:

Chad Johnson has gone back to being Chad Johnson? How come there is no news on this? Where’s your source?

According to Wikipedia, he is still Chad 8-5. And will change his name to the Japanese equivalent

8. Daniel Feuerstein says:

If you would understand why I put ( ) this is my interpitation of why he is no longer Chad Ocho Cinco. He said Darrell Revis can’t cover him and in the last regular season game & the playoff game for the New York Jets against the Cincinnati Bengals, Revis did the job and won the bet.

Ocho Cinco re-neged on the bet and refused to go back to his regular name in the NFL. So once again footballer if you would have paid attention to those ( ) then you wouldn’t be asking this question.

9. Matt says:

No matter if some one searches for his essential thing, therefore he/she desires to be available
    that in detail, so that thing is maintained over
    here.