After Sunday’s World Cup Final, many soccer fans will be jonesing for more games to watch before the Premier League season kicks off again on August 14. But thankfully, there are quite a few summer preseason friendlies featuring European teams that you’ll be able to watch on US television.
Here’s the schedule of games thus far (all times Eastern):
- Friday, July 16: Celtic v Man United, ESPN2, 7pm
- Saturday, July 17: San Jose Earthquakes v Tottenham Hotspur, ESPN, 4pm
- Wednesday, July 21: Celtic v Sporting, Fox Soccer Channel and FoxSoccer.tv, 8pm
- Wednesday, July 21: Philadelphia Union v Man United, ESPN2 & ESPN3.com, 7:30pm
- Thursday, July 22: NY Red Bulls v Spurs, New York Football Challenge Tournament, Fox Soccer Channel and FoxSoccer.tv, 8.30pm
- Friday, July 23: Man City v Sporting Lisbon, Fox Soccer Channel and FoxSoccer.tv, 8.30pm,
- Sunday, July 25: New York Football Challenge 3rd place match, Fox Soccer Channel + FoxSoccer.tv, 1pm
- Sunday, July 25: New York Football Challenge Final, Fox Soccer Channel + FoxSoccer.tv, 3:30pm
- Sunday, July 25: Kansas City Wizards v Man United, Fox Soccer Channel, 6pm
- Wednesday, July 28: MLS All-Stars v Man United, ESPN3.com and ESPN2, 8.30pm
- Saturday, August 7: LA Galaxy v Real Madrid, Fox Soccer Channel, 10.30pm
- Sunday, August 8: Community Shield, Chelsea v Man United, Fox Soccer Channel, 10am
The list of summer friendlies is definitely not as many as what we saw two years ago when Setanta Sports seemed to be carrying a ton of preseason games. But times have changed. In the coming days to weeks, I expect to see more games added such as the annual Emirates Cup and other tournaments. GolTV usually shows a few friendlies involving European teams also.
Here’s the complete list of preseason friendlies being played by European teams this summer across the United States. And here’s the list of preseason friendlies being played by Premier League clubs around the world.
Out of the above games, which ones are you looking forward to watching the most? And which ones will you be attending in person?