FRI, 2:30PM ET
CHI
HOU
FRI, 8:30PM ET
USA
MEX

World Cup 2010 Germany-Argentina, Spain-Paraguay: World Cup Buzz Podcast

wc buzz2 World Cup 2010 Germany Argentina, Spain Paraguay:  World Cup Buzz Podcast

Germany has put up another four goal game – this time, eliminating a team that had become one of the favorites, sending Diego Maradona and Lionel Messi out of World Cup 2010. The Germans advance to Wednesday’s semifinal to face Spain, who barely advanced past Paraguay thanks to David Villa’s fifth goal of the tournament.

To talk about those matches, I was joined by Kartik Krishnaiyer for this edition of the World Cup Buzz Podcast.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to World Cup 2010 Germany-Argentina, Spain-Paraguay: World Cup Buzz Podcast

1. 83 Prem Fan says:

Hearing Krishnaiyer gush all over Germany makes me want to puke. It also brings me to a point where I have to air a grievance I have as a longtime reader of this site, and listener to the pod and CSRN where he previously was.

We have been having this debate with him for years on this site. He thinks the Bundesliga is better than the Premier League and that Germany is better than England (even stating on a podcast in 2007 that it is not a rivalry because England never beats Germany. I guess 2001 and 5-1 are numbers KK is not familiar with).

He has proven time and time again that he cannot be objective about Germany. This is someone who many years ago on CSRN bragged about skipping Man U-Chelsea to watch a match between two mid table Bundesliga teams. This is someone who was useless on that network except when they needed Bundesliga or MLS expertise because he was the only one at the network who wasted his time watching those leagues.

I was never familiar with Farley until he took over EPL Talk but he too has proven to be anti-England and pro-Germany. But at least he does not lecture us about needing to watch the Bundesliga to understand the sport. The Bundesliga bores me and most others to tears, cannot you understand that!!!!!

Germany has gotten lucky in this tournament. No one knows these young guys because they are not in the top leagues (even though Krishnaiyer would claim the Bundesliga is the best league. Heck, our own MLS is probably as strong as the German league) and they got the Lampard call. Today Argentina would have won if Maradona knew how to coach.

Let me flatly ask Gaffer a question. Krishnaiyer has insulted every reader of this site and even you in the past with his pro German commentary which borders on maniacal. He lectures people if they do not watch the Bundesliga and used to constantly fight with people on message boards if they choose to watch the Premiership and not the Bundesliga. He’s even attacked the likes of Andy Gray and John Motson for not knowing enough about the Bundesliga. Why should any English commentator care about the freaking German league! They have the best league in the world and player for player perhaps the best national team. Germany means nothing.

This is an English soccer website. Why do you keep a German lover and England basher that has a reputation for such on the air?

I’m not against Krishnaiyer. But let him feature on some site that focuses on German soccer, instead of continuing to give him a platform on an English oriented site. That way he can be with his own type and not constantly insult the rest of us who have chosen the Premier League and Three Lions for our support. This has been going on for three years including articles on how the Premier League would ruin American players and all the guys not in MLS should play in Germany or Holland. I mean seriously, the guys is so anti-English and pro-German you’d think he was on the German FA’s payroll.

• The Gaffer says:

83 Prem Fan, oh my, where should I start?! First of all, watching Germany play and watching these German youngsters has rekindled my interest in watching the Bundesliga next season. I’ve watched the German league now and again but it’s hard to fit in everything when I’m trying to follow the Premier League so closely.

So, Kartik’s feedback on Germany and the Bundesliga has been refreshing, and it makes me – as one of the most die-hard Premier League watchers in this country – question how much Prem I should be watching next season.

Kartik has not insulted every reader on this site. If anything, he has opened our eyes.

And as for your comparison of the German league to Major League Soccer and how you think both leagues are on a par, you have to be delusional.

The one thing about the World Cup is that it has shown how insular we are sometimes with the variety of soccer we watch. It’s opened my eyes and caused me to reflect on whether I should watch more variety of soccer next season because the Premier League is not the be-all and end-all.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the Premier League and I think it’s one of the best leagues in the world. But there is more to life than just the Premier League. We need to open our minds to other leagues and give them a chance. It’s a big world out there.

• Pakapala says:

I had to stop right after your MLS is on par with the Bundesliga line. How you come up to that conclusion when you admit to not watching the german league is a puzzle to me.

2. TR1 says:

First of all,

83 Prem Fan, the English may have invented the game, but they have to earn anyone’s interest like any other country or league. Take it from this life-long football player/supporter naturalized American, there is very little about the English national team that inspires. Most of all is the inherent arrogance in the sense that the first thing English supporters say is that they have great players. Relative to players at the national around the world, that is not an assumption that is true today. It can only be proved by displays of competitive tournament play, and England ranked pretty low in the World Cup. The style of play in the Premiere league,, while intense and admirable for its character, masks the lack of creativity and tactical excellence seen in other countries. I for one am starting to enjoy the Bundesliga grass roots support, the level of soccer which combines both German commitment and technical excellence by their foreign players, and especialy the way the play appears to adopt different styles of play by dofferent teams. Arsenal is the only team in the Premiere league that I can see that really tries a different approach.

The real reason for my post is to say how excellent Richard and Kartik are. I especially appreciate their informed, well researched, and opinionated stances; which even if when I disagree, cause me to really think about the game. If the podcast keeps this up, I am enjoying what it does for my soccer brain, and I will even be willing to subscribe for a fee eventually.

3. Ray Curren (orangeorange05) says:

I love Cesc Fabregas as much as the next guy, but the Spanish record in knockout stages in the last 2 big tournaments speaks for itself, doesn’t it? (and remember Spain had done basically nothing to this point):

(Keep in mind also that Spain rolled through the group stage of the 2006 World Cup with 9 points before getting exposed at the back by France, conceding 3 times in a 3-1 loss.)

Euro 2008
    QF – Spain 0, Italy 0 (Spain advances 4-2 on PK)
    SF – Spain 3, Russia 0
    Final – Spain 1, Germany 0

2010 World Cup
    2nd R – Spain 1, Portugal 0
    QF – Spain 1, Paraguay 0

So I think you can see why del Bosque plays Bousquets and Xavi Alonso the way he does. It’s worked and he’s afraid he’s going to get exposed if he doesn’t.

Spain only allowed 5 goals in qualifying, by the way, 3 of which came after they had already qualified. The other 2 came early (at Turkey and at Belgium) and Spain struggled to come back to win, 2-1 both times. But if they score first they haven’t lost since that fateful day against France four years ago, and the lesson they took out of it is that you’d better sure up the back.
    (The lesson was driven home when they lost 2 of their first 3 qualifiers for Euro 2008: 2-0 to Sweden, and 3-2 to mighty Northern Ireland when David Healy scored a hat trick after Spain grabbed an early lead and blew it again).

He may get completely exposed by Germany in the semifinal, but if Spain can get the first goal, their recent record shows that may be extremely tough to beat.

4. TR1 says:

Re:Spain.

I wonder how much the Marco Senna not playing is hurting them? Is he hurt?

5. 83 Prem Fan Sucks says:

Why do we have to bring such shame to English people with your horribly xenophobic comments?

World Cup 2010 Germany-Argentina, Spain-Paraguay: World Cup Buzz Podcast