Powered by
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

USA v Ghana, World Cup 2010: Open Thread

USA v Ghana, World Cup 2010: Open Thread

Before, during and after today’s historic World Cup game between USA and Ghana, feel free to share your comments in the section below.

The last time the US had a game this big was 2002 when they played Germany in the 2002 World Cup.

According to CNN, they thought Feilhaber will start on the left. Nothing official from USSF.

Best of luck to the United States!

I’ll be watching the game at Wowies Sports Grill in Boca Raton alongside Kartik Krishnaiyer from NASL. This should be a classic game.

This entry was posted in Leagues: Major League Soccer, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to USA v Ghana, World Cup 2010: Open Thread

1. Jared says:

Just saw on Facebook that it will be Bornstein at left back, Clark in for Edu and Findley back up top. Bradley has gone back to his favorites in Clark and Findley. Someone might want to tell Bob that he can play a 4-5-1 and leave Findley on the bench. Don’t like the choice of Clark over Edu. Clark is a red card in waiting or a mental step slow to give up a goal (see Gerrard’s goal).

2. Mr Soccer says:

Wish Freddy Adu was playing.We have a player with great potential.JMHO!.I have no idea why he is sitting out

• BBC says:

Hi Freddy – Hope to see you in 2014

• doug says:

I hope he plays too. Adu needs to win a starting position on a club team first! The knock on him is that, while he’s flashy, the ball stays on his foot too long, and he tries to do too much one-v.-one… Personally, I think he should just f*ck Europe for a couple years, come to the MLS, score lots of goals (which he’s never done), and then return to Europe with a bit more confidence, clout, and maturity.

Still, I suspect he’s better than Findley…

3. Mr soccer says:

We need players like Freddy Adu.Hope our coach will keepan eye on him.I still don’t know why such a talent is not playing.World nee dto see him.JMHO!

4. Rafael says:

Not playing Edson Buddle in this world cup should cost Bob Bradley his job. Starting Clark will go down as one of the biggest blunders in this tournament.

The U.S. needs possesion and offensive. They need Torres or Feilhaber. They don’t need Maurice Edu who doesn’t have a clue, and gives up the ball when passing.

5. A Yank says:

It’s just like Kartik said last year! The US team suffers from schizophrenia! Enough is enough! Lessons were NEVER learned! The Yanks continue to concede early! They trailed every single game! This is ridiculous! I’ve had enough of the BS from the US team.

Goodbye!

6. I saw a stat today that said the USA had been in front in a game for less than 3 min so far in this torney, You can’t go far with that kind of stat.

7. A Yank says:

It’s just like Kartik said last year during the Confederations Cup: This team suffers from schizophrenia! Lessons were NEVER learned. They CONTINUE to concede early! Enough is enough! I’ve had enough of this US team. Did they really believe that they could continue to depend on the very last minutes of the game to equalise and win? I won’t be back until I finally see DISCIPLINE. Bob Bradley did the best he could with this team. He has worked wonders with this US team. I thank him for the pleasures he has brought to Soccer fans across the country. But it’s like the old saying goes: “You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink.”

Thank you for all you have done Bob Bradley. You deserve great rewards for your contribution, Thank you.

And Goodbye US Soccer!

• Jared says:

I think there is more blame on Bradley for this one. Clark just isn’t good enough at this level. He is subbed out and the US looks more solid and controlled in midfield. I think the discipline that they lack is a reflection of the coaching. They give up the same type of goals in the same periods of the game. That seems to be to reflect a lack of coaching.

I do agree though that the defense is a disgrace. All it takes is a long ball hoofed forward and the one striker can easily beat the defenders.

• Gerard says:

I think you might be right on this one. I think “A Yank” seemed to have forgotten about Clark. Putting in Clark and substituting him around the 20 minutes mark was Bob’s confession of his mistake. Clark has never brought confidence to me. I’ve never seen him perform.

• A Yank says:

You’re right. Clark was a tactical mistake on Bradley’s part. But I don’t think he’s to blame for the early goals. The players are on the field. It is their responsibility to show up. It is their responsibility to bleed red, white, and blue. It is their responsibility to take pride and prove they’re worthy as soon as the whistle blows. The coach can give them the best motivational speech in the world but in the end it is the players that have to perform. Bradley is responsible for tactics, and I think we can all appreciate his response throughout this tournament. He knows he screwed up with Clark and I’m sure he doesn’t need to be reminded. Unfortunately at this level all it takes is one mistake for your entire plan to unravel.

8. Jake says:

Couldn’t even get past Ghana….. LMFAO!

• Joshua says:

Don’t rub it in.

• MarylandBill says:

Ghana played a good game, and the USA played almost as well. While the USA needs to improve, both sides can hold their heads up high.

• Dan says:

Ghana did win that match dont get me wrong on that, I think what really hurt was the way they won it at the end. The Dives at the end of the game to waste time on the clock might have hurt what the US built in this world cup. People were getting into it and finding out what is great about soccer, and Ghana showed the reminder of what hurts the game in this country.
        Ghana won but lost their class at the end with the dives.
        Heres hoping that what Ghana did at the end doesnt hurt the growth we made with average sports fans.

9. doug says:

well, starting clark and buddle went well now, didn’t it?

The game opens with clark giving the ball away unnecessarily in midfield, and the first half progressives with the Ghanains just leaving Findley wide open, knowing he’s not a scoring threat. He wasn’t.

Another disappointing day from Altidore… Pulling him was a good call. Somewhat of an off day for Donovan. Dempsey was fantastic, but in the knockout stages you’ve got to put your scoring chances away. Altidore and Findley combined for 0 goals in 4 games in how many scoring opportunities?

Bob Bradley needs to resign here… Had he started edu/torres and buddle, we’d have led 1-nil at the half…

• Joshua says:

It’s really difficult to say that with assurance. Hindsight is 20/20. I really like watching Torres play. He’s smart and knows how to make great plays. But I don’t think he was ready for this level. We saw him against Slovenia in the first half and the team seemed like they were pulling his slack. He didn’t contribute. He was too afraid to move forward. He doesn’t have enough confidence.

The US team isn’t even all that good after all. I’ve finally come to terms with it. Bob Bradley is probably the best coach the US has ever had. But we should remind ourselves that he could only work miracles for so long.

• doug says:

i had a typo above — i meant, sarcastically, that starting clark and findley went well!

And i don’t think we’re that bad — we beat Spain 2-nil and nearly beat Brazil last year, losing 3 to 2. Ghana is a spirited team and fighting on behalf of its home continent. They were unlucky not to draw with Germany, as they had several good scoring opportunities and held the Germans to just one goal. Against Germany, they couldn’t finish. Today, they scored really beautiful goals. They didn’t come off of terrible defensive lapses like the Gerrard or Slovenian goals. And the US had many more golden scoring opportunities than did Ghana.

Re: Torres didn’t contribute vs. Slovenia. Except he almost scored. Go watch the highlights. He didn’t give the ball away for any goals. He didn’t forget to mark Gerrard.

Re: “Hindsight is 20/20.” In my case, sadly, foresight was 20/20 as well. Buddle put away two goals vs. Australia and nearly scored vs. Algeria. Findley couldn’t score vs. Australia with a wide open net. At least you gotta play Gomez, who, while not flashy, put’s the ball on goal. Bringing Findley to South Africa was a fire-able offense. Playing Findley in non-friendly world cup match is a jailable offense. Playing Findley repeatedly when there are perfectly good alternatives available is a capital crime. Besides Gomez and Buddle, Bradley could have brought Brian Ching. The problem isn’t in finding someone who has unbelievable skill, the problem is finding someone who plays with confidence, who doesn’t get stage fright, and who doesn’t melt when he finds the ball at his feet with an open net.

I’d also gone on record saying we should pull Altidore after 60-70 on the account that (a) he gets tired, and (b) he’s no scoring threat. He’s a decent player who has set up goals (Bradley’s), but the guy lacks focus in front of the goal. And he’s a diver. Funny thing was, on his breakaway today, it looked to me like he started to dive, but realized he still had the ball on an open net, so then tried to recover to shoot.

10. doug says:

“Bob Bradley did the best he could with this team.”

My only comment: Robbie Findley.

11. Rafael says:

Our defense was a problem during the whole tournament. Bocanegra doesn’t belong in the middle. Demerit, Cherundolo, and Bornstein were also part of the problem.

Why didn’t Goodson and Spector see any time out on the pitch?

• Dante says:

Our defense has always been a problem. What should we expect? Everyone knows we don’t have a deep team. I’ve never had trust in Onyewu, he always look awfully clumsy to me. Anyways, we expect too much, our standards are too high for such a mediocre team. We’ll see what happens during the Gold Cup. Hopefully we will have improved. Altidore was never a good player in my book. He big and strong, but this isn’t the NFL. Altidore isn’t very bright. He lacks self control.

12. doug says:

Actually, aside from starting Clark and Findley, I don’t think Bradley did a good job getting the team mentally ready for games. All the conceded goals early. We always end up playing better toward the end. that’s coaching, and that’s getting guys mentally ready to play. It may be unfair to put that all on Bradley, but he’s the coach. It’s his job to get guys ready to play.

As for Findley, there was just no conceivable situation in which that guy would have scored in this world cup. And the same can really be said about Altidore. And Bradley was given Dempsey, Donovan, Howard, and a really favorable draw…

13. Joshua says:

Why does the US team require PAIN in order to WAKE UP? WHY!?!? I knew sooner or later their luck would run out and they would be left to fend for themselves. Why do they have to get punched in the face before they finally focus and remember what their purpose is on that field? I’m sick and tired of the team’s addiction pain and suffering. It is extremely difficult to make a come back, especially at this level. The US team showed signs of brilliance which earned them a penalty. But after that penalty they went back to sleep. I don’t think these guys will EVER learn. It hurts me to see the US team fail. It hurts so much. I love this country and I love this team but I’ve lost all hope in this squad. It’s true, the US team are chronic slow starters. Ever since the Confed Cup and the WC qualifiers. And we see it again during the WC finals. This saddens me.

14. Rafael says:

I said over and over again that Altidore should not have been starting and playing in this tournament. He does nothing but hold up the ball, with the majority of the time for too long and losing possesion. His first touch has been off when it came to goal scoring opportunities.

15. Jeff says:

That was nevertheless a great tournament for the US team. Watching the videos of bars and other public venues across the country, being present at Lucky Bar in DC to watch the Algeria game, on the phone with my brother in law who watched it at Nevada Smith’s, it was an amazing experience. Yeah, we’ll still get the idiots who want to trash talk about divers, foreigners, cheaters, etc, but the 2010 World Cup will be remembered as the tournament that had the greatest impact upon the US soccer culture. Forget 94, back then it was seen as a novelty, a interesting factoid that the US was hosting and competing in a World Cup. But in 2010, fans believed and witnessed their team playing at a great level. And that’s a turning point, no matter how you look at it.
    However, it’s also a tournament that laid bare the current limitations of the US team. Yes it has arguably one of the 5 best goalies in the world, two excellent (albeit not consistent) creative midfielders in Dempsey and Donovan, and a growing depth in their strikers and defensive midfielders. But Jozy needs to grow up, work has to be done to shore up the defense, and the US team needs to use the next 4 years to get tournament experience, even if its at the Gold Cup. And especially the Copa America (I still think it was a tragedy to have dismissed it with such arrogance; which region of the world saw ALL of their representative countries qualify?). But the spirit is amazing. The second half against Ghana and Algeria were electric, and you always felt that the US was about to take either match. Can’t wait for 2014.

16. GORIILA says:

GHANA……letz go yes we can

17. Chullo says:

The US needs a real soccer coach, not a soccer dad who will play his son’s best friends at the expense of real talent on the bench (Holden, Edu, Buddle etc). Is Klinsman still available, can Harkes get over his past?

18. Wisdom says:

Success is counted sweetest by those who never succeed.

I hope you enjoy this moment as much as you possibly can.