Powered by
JUL 12 4PM ET
bra0
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

Should FIFA Ban the Vuvuzela for the Duration of the World Cup?

Should FIFA Ban the Vuvuzela for the Duration of the World Cup?

Whether you’re new to the World Cup or you’re taking in your tenth finals, you’re sure to have noticed the incessant drone at matches this past weekend from the stadium horns known as vuvuzelas that are so common in South Africa. Love them or hate them, it seems the vuvuzela, or lepatata is as much apart of football in South Africa as crowd songs are in England or hot dogs are in American baseball. Is the vuvuzela really ruining the World Cup experience across the globe? They seem to be here to stay for the remainder of the tournament, or will they?

Before you make up your mind on the vuvuzela, let’s look at the positives and negatives of what I like to call the plastic bee. On the negative side, besides the obvious, reports have surfaced from players who’ve said that they’re unable to hear other players on the pitch. If this is to be believed, could the vuvuzela somehow effect the outcome of an important match? The swarm of bees-like drone has overpowered national anthems, fan songs and chants, and has been a major distraction and annoyance for commentators and millions watching on television across the world.

Major Television broadcasters have spent millions of dollars to bring unprecedented coverage of the tournament to the masses only for their investment to be potentially buzzed out by the horns that only seem to get louder as matches progress. If lower than expected viewership and TV ratings surface at the end of the tournament, will the vuvuzela become a vilified entity in the annals of history outside of South Africa?

Earplug sales in South Africa are rumored to be high as fans attending matches are becoming increasingly concerned with hearing damage and or hearing loss. A potential ban of the vuvuzela is no new thing. After last years Confederations Cup in South Africa, FIFA was flooded with thousands of emails from fans pleading with soccer’s governing body to ban the horn for this summer’s World Cup. It seems as if the emails fell on deaf ears.

So what positives can be taken from such an over-powering sound? According to FIFA, the vuvuzela is said to be too entrenched in the culture of South Africa to even consider a serious ban. And isn’t accepting a different culture what the World Cup is all about? How would the English or other European countries feel if outsiders protested against crowd songs or the removal of banners at matches?

For now it looks as if the vuvuzela is here to stay unless it poses some form of health risk, i.e., if fans attempt to throw them on the pitch or use them as weapons. The plastic horn means too much to the South African people and their culture for FIFA to swoop in and take them away from the fans who have represented themselves so brilliantly thus far.

Viewers in the UK may soon have a reprieve of the noise within the next few days. Due to hundreds of complaints, the BBC is considering an option that would allow match viewers to mute ambient background noise while still being able to hear match commentary. The option would allow viewers to press a button on their remote and receive a quieter version of the broadcast on a different channel. The alternate channel may not be a bad compromise for viewers who can take the noise no longer.

Regardless of your opinion, the majority of us better get used to the buzz for the next month if we plan on watching more matches simply because it seems FIFA refuse to take the controversial step of banning the horn. If you hate the vuvuzela, leave a comment below explaining why FIFA should ban them. If you don’t mind the bee-like buzz and think it adds to the experience in South Africa, defend FIFA’s decision to allow them at matches.

Contact Jesse on Twitter @JesseChula

Meanwhile, if you want to let ESPN know how you feel about the vuvuzelas, whether you love them or hate them, find out more information about how to contact ESPN.

139 Responses to Should FIFA Ban the Vuvuzela for the Duration of the World Cup?

1. Rob Sedgwick says:

It’s too much for me I’m afraid. I paid to go to all the England qualifiers at Wembley and went to Portugal 2004, but this is too much for me. I have watched my last televised game of 2010 unless it is banned. I’m gutted but I’ll have to watch Wimbledon instead.

2. Raatzie says:

I won’t tell FIFA how to run their sport. Sepp wouldn’t listen anyway.

I suppose they can try to penetrate the US market again with Brazil 2014.

Wish I lived in England – BBC may offer a vuvuzela-(from the Afrikaans, meaning “horn of douchebags”*) free feed.

* not really. I just made that part up.

3. If FIFA award the tournament to South Africa then they need to allow the home fans to express themselves as they see fit. The vuvuzela may not be for everyone, but it’s part of attending a match for many South Africans.

It’s certainly preferable to some of the offensive chanting that will be heard if England are allowed to host the tournament in 2018.

• Raatzie says:

Then use them at the South Africa matches. Stop torturing the rest of us.

And say what you want about England, at least their fan participation mirrors the game action. The HODs don’t.

• Bishopville Red says:

You sure about that? How many times do I have to hear some dolt toot out “The great Escape” per half? Don’t forget the ultra-insightful chant ‘ROOOOOOOOOOOOONAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY” Pure brilliance.

It’s as irritating to me as anything else that goes on. Vuvas are here. Quit whining.

SB

• Raatzie says:

And if Rooney scores in the middle of “The Great Escape”, do they ignore it and keep singing?

Thought not.

Clown.

• Ginger Joe says:

But at least when the other fans start singing you can shout or sing over them… plus not even the english sing the same song or shout the same chant for 90 minutes.

4. Jose says:

I don’t mind the vuvuzelas, although I would much rather hear singing, chanting or cheering.

5. Meg says:

Well, if it is such a big part of AFRICAN HISTORY, why don’t they just ban them for all games accept Africa? I don’t mean to sound rude, but it seems to bother all other nations and their fans, I’m not to fond of it myself, but the African players LOVE it? Well that is just my opinion.

• robert poverello says:

It’s not even a part of our history – and you are right, let them blow it when SA plays and ban it for all the other games. I dont see why the rest of the world should have to ‘share’ in the torture!!!!!

6. Ndixman 'weMPopoma (waterfalls) Ndiweni says:

whats soccer got to do with emotion and hearing. is just string chase – with geometric passes/formation and angled shots – work of artist – with vuvuzela to spice it up. Just an adddition of an instrument to an orchestra. The music instrument is tsill being tuned in just like democracy – it needs it full crudle to be a grown up. Give it a chance.

• robert poverello says:

what a load of rubbish. the vuvuzela should be banned. i am born and bred in South Africa and until about 12 years ago, this abomination was not part of local football. it is a health hazard, not only to your ears, but when you sit in front of 20 thousand of these ‘savages’ blowing the ‘road cone’ incessantly. i have sat through it once and never again – when the spit and gob drench your back and head, you will have a different view of this. TB will be rampant worldwide after this world cup and when you pack a rain jacket and ear plugs for a football match in the sun – something must be wrong. lets stop pussy footing around the so called traditions of the locals and allow EVERYONE to enjoy the match. BAN IT!

7. James says:

For God’s sakes FIFA grow a set why don’t you. Who cares if the Africans like this annoying horn?!! They were granted the honour of hosting the world cup so they have a responsibility to the hundreds of millions of people around the world whose enjoyment of watching it has been decimated by it’s unrelenting and atmosphere-destroying monotone whine.

You can no longer hear the crowd which is one of the most important parts of atmosphere building within a stadium. It’s as simple as that. If you drown out the sound of the fans cheering (erupting) when a goal is scored or a near miss occurs, people mights as well turn off all the sound and watch it on mute.

On another common sense point, if the African’s love it so much and FIFA are so pathetic they can’t make them understand how frightful the majority of the television audience (the largest audience) find it, they should instigate the ban after the African teams have been eliminated!

• robert poverello says:

i feel embarrassed to be a south african – i can only apologise to the world for putting you through this and believe me , there are hundreds of thousands of locals who want it banned as much as you guys. please accept our apologies!!!!

• M says:

“…they should instigate the ban after the African teams have been eliminated!”

Really? You’re ok with saying things like that? “Hey, Africa, now that all your teams are gone (this is assuming your absurd prediction is right) – we can’t let the SA fans who choose to celebrate the game celebrate as they may.”

Well worded, really. Look, there is a clear love/hate emotion towards vuvuzelas, myself not caring either way – but the line is crossed with ridiculous statements such as yours.

8. David C. says:

I have to say, I’ve been trying to introduce some friends to soccer but all my mates refuse to watch because of the buzzing. I don’t notice it after awhile, but they won’t watch at all. Great job – you have one chance every 4 years to really build the sport and you’re blowing it.

Also, i hate the argument that it’s tradition and how would I feel if they took one of “our traditions” away. Well, if it was ruining an event for 75% of the people outside of my country, I’d be fine with it. Especially if it was causing hearing damage.

• Duke says:

Have to agree. I don’t buy the “it’s entrenched in the culture” argument, as these things didn’t even exist 20 years ago (or so). It’s like saying pet rocks are too entrenched in the culture and allowing people to bring them to matches (and throw them at opposing players). I have yet to hear one person who actually likes the damn things. The closest I’ve heard is “we’re just going to have to deal with it, so get over it.”

As someone who suffers from hearing loss – and tinnitus – I say: Ban the frigging things. If you had to listen to ringing in your ears constantly for decades, like I have, just because you went to a match where it’s part of the “culture,” I think you’d agree.

9. MC Pope says:

I suppose if they didn’t feel the need to just blow away during the game it might be tolerable. Instead they are just as loud during the national anthem as they are when a goal is scored against their team, or for their team. If it’s part of their culture to ruin sporting events, than I guess it’s FIFA’s fault for giving them the Cup.

10. Jesse Chula says:

David C.

Interesting points. I was hoping I’d get some feedback from new soccer fans and whether or not they’d have any feedback on the horns or not. In your case, it seems they didn’t like it one bit.

I also seem to remember last summer’s Confederations Cup being worse. I wonder if the FIFA feed has already been set up to dull some of the noise. I guess I’m stuck somewhere in the middle on this debate, but for me, nothing beats crowd songs and chants. That’s what I’m upset about missing because of the vuvuzelas.

• Raatzie says:

One of my selling points to my non-soccer watching parents re: US-England was “the English fans are crazy, between ‘God Save the Queen’, ‘The Great Escape’ and the other stuff they do.”

Quite rightly, they called me after the game to ask (a) what the hell was I talking about, and (b) what’s with the stupid horns?

11. Raatzie says:

If local tradition is this important, when the US gets the World Cup in 2018 I insist upon

1. 5 TV timeouts each half

2. Cheerleaders

3. Mascots shooting hot dogs in the stands.

4. Sausage races.

5. DEE-FENSE!!!!! chants, and finally

6. The PA guy cueing up “EVERYBODY CLAP YOUR HANDS” every three minutes.

I don’t really, of course. Escaping that sort of crap is what got me into this sport. But if local tradition is so important . . .

• cincyspurs says:

can we get ‘ We are the champions’ played every few minutes too

• McBride says:

“Escaping that sort of crap is what got me into this sport.”

I assure you this idiot does not represent most American soccer fans.

Some of us love the sport because it is a great game.

• Raatzie says:

That makes absolutely no sense.

Is English your third language?

• McBride says:

You claim to have “gotten into” soccer as a way to escape the “crap” associated with other sports.

Most of us simply love the sport.

I see.

What a very special little snowflake you are.

• McBride says:

“Apparently you were watching soccer in utero and didn’t have to stumble across it like most Americans.”

Nah, found it as a youth. And not because I was so upset by the traditions of American sports that I needed to seek out some way to be different.

• Raatzie says:

Like I said, truly a special little snowflake.

I humbly beseech you, please bestow a morsel of your enlightenment upon this humble peasant.

12. Anything-but-horny says:

Absolutely fed up with the horns. I don’t give a rats if it is a South African tradition or somehow part of the SA culture, the World Cup is NOT A SOUTH AFRICAN EVENT!! South Africa has been given the honour of hosting a WORLD EVENT. It is narrow-minded and arrogant to refuse to ban the horn because it is part of the South African culture when the rest of the world despises the mindless drone.

Seriously South Africa and FIFA – can’t believe you are being so stupid. Half of my friends refuse to watch the matches. How is the advertising going?

13. Keep them. I find them more entertaining than the constant singing of the same shit we hear for 90 minutes everywhere else in the world.

14. Steve says:

The damn horns have only been around for about 10 years. They are NOT part of some great cultural tradition. Ban them already!

15. Herbert says:

Even the players are saying it is distracting. They can’t communicate with each other on the pitch. So not only are these vuvuzelas ruining the TV broadcasts, they are affecting the quality of play in the tournament.

16. Tinnitus says:

I think the vuvuzelas should be banned as they may provide a distinct advantage to teams such as the 6 African nations and some European countries where horns are commonplace at matches and therefore do not cause any concentration problems for those players, whereas players from countries who are used to a more sedate playing environment may therefore be disadvantaged by their continued use.

Unfortunately though, we are all concerned about the level of violence experienced in South Africa in recent times, and the Fifa approval of the vuvuzelas is seen to be something of a trade off – in other words: take away the horns and the angry locals may exact vengeance on other spectators because they have had their culturally-aligned horns taken away. In other words, the horns may quell a potential riot.

What happens when the South Africa team, or worse… ALL the African teams are outed from the tournament, horns or no horns, of course remains to be seen……

• Raatzie says:

Your violence point is a good one.

I’d start rooting against all the African teams if I thought that would rid us of the HOD. It won’t.

Plus, Ronaldo’s a d-bag. Go CIV.

17. Thomas says:

I’m from India working in Kuwait. When saw the first match it was horrible to see. Because the sound of Vuvuzela. It is irritating… FIFA should ban this.

18. John Abassian says:

These things are very disrespectful for the fans of other teams than South Africa, they are annoying and damaging to the hearing. They are rude and obnoxious devices and should be banned!
    We want to hear the fans cheering, not a high pitch noise for 90 minutes!

19. Raffi says:

Hearing loss due to prolonged exposure to the high dB level at rock performances, acoustically bright and noisy restaurants and worksites is deplorable.
    Hearing loss due to attendance at a sporting event represents a form of stupid dedication to an anti-social cultural phenomenon wherein we see the hard-of-hearing setting the sound level for the healthy.
    The deaf idiots should be forced to give up the vuvuzela in respect of others.
    I started by rooting for South Africa: I now wish they will be humiliated in defeat.

20. G.Hersch says:

They should be banned. If 80% of people polled say they should be banned, then they should be banned. Also, if it interferes with the players communicating (which it does), it shouldn’t be allowed. When I watch a soccer game, i want to hear the chants, and anthems, and roar of the crowd. Not a mindless buzz.

21. Robert says:

I am a South African and I’m all for “culture,” but the Vuvuzela just creates total noise, I don’t think it represents any culture. I attended 2 matches already and left with disappointment because of the loud buzzzz sound in my head. Please I beg to ban it. If people could be considerate and blow at appropriate times but they don’t. After the WC people not going to remember the wonderful soccer and an awesome country but the noise of the vuvuzela in their head. For the sake of soccer, SA and spectators like me that want enjoy the soccer, please ban the vuvuzela!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Duke says:

Another good point. As someone who has never been out of the Western Hemisphere, my biggest impression of South Africa is going to be those damn horns — and how badly I want to hit South Africans over the head with them.

I’m sure there are lots of interesting and wonderful things about that country, but that’s what I and most others in North America are going to remember.

22. Brian says:

They are annoying but I don’t think that is a good enough reason to ban them. Once you watch the match for two minutes, you barely notice them and get absorbed into the match action.

• Duke says:

No, they’re NOT just annoying, they damage people’s hearing.

I guess others don’t understand this. When your hearing has been damaged by excessive noise, there are a number of unpleasant side effects:

1) Tinnitus – imagine that tone they used to play as part of the “Emergency Broadcast Network” tests on television. Now imagine that tone several thousand cycles higher in pitch. Now imagine listening to that ALL the time. When you’re in the shower, when you’re trying to fall asleep, when you’re trying to understand something that’s being said in television (good luck with that one, BTW), when you’re trying to understand what your toddler is saying to you. It NEVER, EVER goes away. Sound fun?

2) Hearing loss: This is aggravated by the tinnitus, but think about what it’s like for someone who has to have people looking directly at him in order to understand what they’re saying. Between facial expression, lip-reading, and what you actually hear, you can have a conversation with someone. As soon as they turn their head, though, it’s over.

3) Pain: Even moderately loud noises that wouldn’t startle a person of normal hearing cause physical pain in someone whose hearing has been damaged. Loud music, motorcycles with loud pipes, a parent sitting behind you at your kid’s T-ball game. Like an ice-pick in the ear, and you have no control over it.

The damn vuvuzelas are just TOO LOUD. They are absolutely annoying, but I could probably live with that. However, anything that gets that loud should not be allowed at sporting events. The crowd noise is enough of a threat to fans hearing, having these horns that are apparently designed to deafen people is criminally stupid.

23. Dave says:

It gets less noisy when it rains. Lets hope it rains in every game. Ian darke said the vuvuzela won’t banned by Fifa about an Hour ago

24. GUP says:

The ultimate loser will be the South African, because this World Cup will be remembered for the stupid ‘drone’, like the Mexican Cup is remembered for its beautiful ‘Wave’.

• Raatzie says:

Makes me wax nostalgic for Germany ’06 (even though I had no clue what the World Cup was all about then – got into the EPL after watching Germany ’06)

Buck up Brazil – don’t see how you can do any worse in 4 years.

25. Carl Jago says:

RE: robert poverello

“what a load of rubbish. the vuvuzela should be banned. i am born and bred in South Africa and until about 12 years ago, this abomination was not part of local football. it is a health hazard, not only to your ears, but when you sit in front of 20 thousand of these ’savages’ blowing the ‘road cone’ incessantly. i have sat through it once and never again – when the spit and gob drench your back and head, you will have a different view of this. TB will be rampant worldwide after this world cup and when you pack a rain jacket and ear plugs for a football match in the sun – something must be wrong. lets stop pussy footing around the so called traditions of the locals and allow EVERYONE to enjoy the match. BAN IT!”

Robert. I too am a South African; born and bred. And by calling “them” SAVAGES and suggesting that “they” all have diseases only puts your RACISM in the spotlight. If you want to be taken seriously, you might want to try to come across as a reasonable person without prejudice.

So you left SA 12 years ago? Not surprised. You are the kind of South African that the rest of us are ashamed of, and that South Africa is better off without. You, and those like you were the reason that South Africa was not able to participate in tournaments like this for so long. Good luck trying to start an Apartheid elsewhere.

• Raatzie says:

Oh, by all means, play the race and victim cards.

Put words in the dude’s mouth (when did he say anything about disease? When did he make reference to race? I don’t care what color you are – you blow the horn in response to exciting play on the field, fine. You just blow it incessantly for ninety minutes, you’re a d-bag.)(

Demand respect, while showing none to anybody else.

That’ll persuade ‘em.

26. Lyle says:

too many of you people are bigots. life is all about you. this is south africa’s world cup, not Europe’s world cup. so they can do as they please. it’s just you peoples’ burden to deal with it.

blow that plastic horn South Africa… blow it!

• Raatzie says:

It’s the world’s World Cup.

South Africa’s just ruining it for everyone else.

I for one hope no African nation ever gets the World Cup again, unless they take a “no d-bag horn” pledge.

• M says:

That is the most absurd thing I have ever read. Do you people seriously type this stuff? It is humoring me beyond belief.

“I for one hope no African nation ever gets the World Cup again”

Soooo… if somethin happened in Bolivia, you’d wish Brazil never to host? If England hosts a World Cup and something ‘bad’ or controversial happened (let’s say incessant chanting of idiotic sorts), you’d REALLY pull out a comment saying “I HOPE NO EUROPEAN NATION HOSTS”

Hahaha. Oh man. People kill me. They teach it to us as kids: think before you act/speak/write. So, I ask kindly, think before you make such an absurd comment. One country’s actions doesn’t justify banning something from an ENTIRE continent. Et voila, that’s why someone like you wouldn’t be working for FIFA.

• Raatzie says:

I wouldn’t be working for FIFA because I have more than three brain cells. Four disqualifies you.

/ Not claiming to have any more than four.

27. Jim says:

I see no reason to ban it. It doesn’t bother me, the noise fades away after watching the games for more then a few minutes. And even if the tradition is only 10 years old, who cares.

I love the crying by players about the noise. Sure use that as an excuse for poor play. Are they really that mentally weak? Really? Then maybe their team should not make the knockout stages.

• Raatzie says:

Because certainly idiots blowing their horns in the stands are more important than players trying to play well.

• Patrick says:

These are professionals, the same ones that are professional enough to drown out hateful chants and play fine. All teams have to deal with it so its not like one team is getting an advantage over another.
        If players at this level are going to let somethign as stupid as noise affect them they shouldn’t be playing on the worlds biggest stage anyway. They dont complain about the noise from 130,000 fans roaring in the champions league final do they?
        Its just a bunch of fickle turds who cant accept something they cant or dont want to understand

• Raatzie says:

Of course, they can HEAR EACH OTHER over the “hateful chants.” They don’t have the equivalent of an AIRPLANE TAKING OFF in their ear for two hours straight.

And no, the Champions League final isn’t at the same level of noise. Only indoor stadia like the old Metrodome can produce an equivalent decibel level.

(BTW, which ground holds 130,000?)

The two most important parts of a World Cup are the quality of play and fan enjoyment.

Both are being sacrificed so some morons can blow on a plastic horn like a bunch of five year olds.

But please, keep defending them, dipshit.

• M says:

completely agree. if it’s not the vuvuzela, it’s the altitude. if it’s not the altitude, it’s the air. or the ball. oh, definitely the ball.

next it’ll be the grass.

28. Bayern82 says:

I don’t know whether it should be banned or not, I personally don’t notice it after some time, but what I do notice is that there’s less attendance AT the actual games these past few days and the commentators have been mentioning it… Whether it’s due to the vuvuzela or not is anyone’s guess, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was.

On the same note, almost every friend of mine and non-soccer fan that has tuned in to the World Cup has asked me the same thing, “What is that noise? I thought my tv was broken.” I don’t know about all of you vuvuzela supporters, but do we really want to turn away people from the sport or the country for that matter?

Food for thought.

29. Vuvuzela says:

I think they should definitely stay. I know they’re a bit annoying but I honestly can’t relate to people who need to turn the TV off, they aren’t THAT bad!

Joe

30. Machojesus says:

For a country which is said to be as diverse as South Africa, the atmosphere generated by these horns is taking away from the atmosphere generated by the various fans of the different nations taking part. We can’t hear the songs of one nation’s fans competing against those of another, just an incessant same-same beehive cacophony.

By all means, they should be allowed when South Africa play, but when they are heard in every single match between every single other team, it just makes it sound like South Africa are playing in every game. There is absolutely no diversity at all coming from the stands this World Cup, and we’ll certainly notice it all the more later tonight when the famous Brazilian samba is drowned out too.

• Patrick says:

Some food for thought: I’ve notice a lot of supporters from countries outside south africa are partaking in the Vuvuzela blowing. Maybe they’ve decided on blowing their horns instead of chanting?

31. Ste M says:

An important point is that the noise is putting players off!
    Would you be happy with your countries players not being able to concentrate??

Traditional or not, players have made complaints to FIFA that they cannot concentrate, communicate, or even in some cases hear the referee whistle!
    Any distractions during a match that distract players should not be acceptable.

If it was traditional to blow slide whistles, would they allow it at a snooker match?……….Thought not.

If South Africans have to blow their horns, they should blow them when their own teams play, stop putting off everyone elses players!!

32. IanCransonsKnees says:

I don’t think they should be banned but I personally find this type of support more interesting and enjoyable to watch, from whichever team or country’s fans are producing the noise.

33. Mike says:

If this is suppposedly cultural, why isn’t the shape of these elongated kazoos like the original Kudu African horn, if it’s so symbolic? Answers? Anyone? …………………………..I didn’t think so. They’re annoying party favors, end of story. It’s not just some South African fans, it’s all of you muppets in the crowd who feel content on buying one just to toot it and catch the “Vuvu” fever. If my eardrums are goig to be tortured, I’d rather hear chants then this horrendous nonsense. And for all you politically-correct-when-in-Rome types, Jog on!!!!

• Patrick says:

I’m no engineer but I’m assuming because these are easier to produce, or simply the design of the curled horn didn’t work. These plastic horns actually sounds similar when played correctly, so its a modern day adaptation thats “close enough”. The problem is that most people are just blowing them as hard as they can, apparently there are propper ways to use these things.

34. joe says:

Ok to start out with I’ll point out the obvious characteristics of these trinkets.

1. They are tuneless.
    2. They essentially make a monotone sound that varies little and the concensus is when played in numbers they sound like swarming bees.

That being said they are soulless. Don’t believe me? Try this. Name one match that sounded any different from another one played at this World Cup. Can’t do that? There’s your answer, they are soulless. They are not a beautiful part of a distinct soccer culture. Unless you are simply summing up the whole of S. Africa as a singular distinct soccer culture (and I’m not pc enough to feel as though I have to pretend I appreciate said soccer culture). What if every professional match sounded the same? How special would that be? I haven’t even commented on the obvious health risks yet…though I think that should be the real concern here. Anyways, the obvious thing about them is they’re sound is irritating as can be. They suck and so do the soul sapping droves of S. African soccer supporters who play them.

35. Tim says:

Before this get’s worse, a ban should be implemented.

It’s a shame that world will only remember SA for these incessant HORNS. It’s culture, I really know little about and with all the attention on the Horns, it will probably remain the same. I would imagine this will be one of the last times SA will have a major venue like this. For this and the potential lawsuits FIFA may face from attendees of the tournament due to hearing loss :-) , a BAN should be considered.

Millions of viewers have hit the MUTE button…. what a shame.

And unknowlingly, as SA “celebrates” it’s spotlight for now, it’s likely that millions of people’s view of SA have degraded. Another shame, I’m sure.

36. elizabeth Jones says:

no way, i lv vuvuzela sound!! if you like honey and bees like me – you will love the vuvuzella
    By the way I found a website that give you prizes for your opinions here is the topic about the Wolrd Cup:

37. joe says:

Duke, you are not alone. I have sudden sensorineural hearing loss accompanied with constant tinnitus in one ear (for those who don’t know what that is, I have a blown speaker for an ear that won’t stop ringing). I wouldn’t wish my condition on my enemy. If these things harm anyone’s hearing that’s unnacceptable (especially, children, anti-vuvuzela spectators, players, etc.).

I’ll let avian flu or hepatitis victims express their grievances from here.

• Duke says:

“… If these things harm anyone’s hearing that’s unnacceptable…”

This is really the crux of the argument, from where I’m sitting. I think if people generally understood the kind of hearing loss that can result from something as loud as the vuvuzela, AND the long term effects of that hearing loss, the damn things would have been banned.

To everyone who is against banning them: I wish you could have my hearing (or lack thereof) for a day. If you really understood, I’m convinced you’d change your mind.

I feel sorry for those who have travelled to South Africa to enjoy the World Cup, only to return home with worse hearing than they arrived with. I hope it doesn’t happen to anyone, but after listening to the matches and that incessant noise, I’m sure it has.

38. CT_Blues2006 says:

During the Confederations Cup last year I found the constant Buzz of the Vuvuzela’s extremely irritating and fully expected to be annoyed by the sound throughout the World Cup. Quite frankly, this year, I have not had any issues with them. I find it easy to drown them out and listen to the match commentary.

I do however love the BBC idea of being able to turn off the ambient noise and just listen to the commentary. I would love to see something similar happen with American football. Except I would want to be able to turn off the commentary and just listen to the ambient noise.

39. Bayern82 says:

Haha.. it was just announced by ESPN that there will be some filters they’re trying out on the Brazil game today to quiet down the vuvuzelas a bit. Let’s see how it goes.

40. efrain says:

Its not just regular soccer fans that are annoyed by this horn. I am at the car dealer today waiting for a repair. The television in the lobby is on. I ask the receptionist to put on ESPN so I can catch some soccer. She changes channel but says to me that she hopes I am not there too long because the BEE noise really annoys her. I told her I agreed. I asked if she was a soccer fan. She said no, but that they had wanted to leave the games on during the day for the customers in the lobby…. until they kept getting complaints from their customers over the annoying BEE noise.

Obviously these people were not soccer fans. But this is an instance where we had a chance to entice more people to this beautiful game….. and this was their first and probably last impression… BEE noise.

I complained to FIFA last year for Confed Cup, I suggest we all continue with the complaints not only to FIFA, but to ESPN as well. At a minimum these vuvu things can be allowed for S. African countries only. That way the “tradition” lives on. Decent compromise.

41. Matt T. says:

42. Matt T. says:

43. ovalball says:

I wish they would, but know they won’t. I miss the crowd noise.

Like others I have tried to get friends/relatives interested but they simply refuse to watch because of the buzz. The law of unintended consequences strikes again.

44. unimpressed says:

I was going to take up an interest in this world cup due to peer interest. Perhaps Id of become a fan of the sport. The incessant droning of those horns has prevented any interest from forming, and I wont be watching anymore. GG

• CT_Blues2006 says:

Even soccer diehards are annoyed by the vuvuzela’s. Don’t let them ruin any interest you may have in soccer. Continue visiting site and try watching some English Premier league games later this year.

45. VuvuzelaLove says:

I love the Vuvuzela; its a great part of South African culture and the experience of the 2010 World Cup. In fact, I love them so much, I made a FB page; like it if you like it! Viva Vuvuzela!

46. Angelo says:

Vuvuzelas are obviously impacting the quality of the matches. Any cultural tradition that negatively impacts the game should be banned. We are not getting top flight performances out there because they players can’t hear each other, they have headaches, and they can’t get a good night’s sleep. Do you want subpar matches? Because that’s what we’re getting.

47. Raatzie says:

Now this, on the other hand, is pretty racist.

48. Patrick says:

I think its just a matter of fans being fickle about something they don’t like. Really the worst thing about them is it drowns out the cheers when a team scores a goal. If you really care for the game than just ignore it, its not that hard. Its only irratating if you let it be..

If you Ban the Vuvuzelas, than they’re setting a precident for things like Cowbells, whistles, drums, trumpets, and etc to be banned during future events. Really, the fair thing to do if they ban the Vuvuzelas is to ban all instruments.

I think its just something fans will have to come to accept. Its part of the culture, they’re not dictating to us how we should do things so who are we to tell them how to do things?

• Raatzie says:

If someone continuously plays a cowbell, whistle, drum, or trumpet for the entire 90 minutes, regardless of what’s happening on the field, I’ll call for banning that as well.

Since, however, the people using those instruments are responsive to the flow of the play on the field, they get to keep their stuff.

Really not that hard, people.

If the vuvuzelas were being blown in response to goals, fine.

If they ocassionally blew a song on them during a lull in the action, fine.

But these things are nothing more than diversions for people (a) with short attention spans, and/or (b) who don’t care about the game and are the type of person to be at an event so they can say they were there.

49. Jesse Chula says:

Jimmy,

Are you serious? That kind of rhetoric isn’t funny or appreciated on this site. If you’re going to comment like that, I’d prefer my articles have nothing to do with it.

Simply ridiculous.

• The Gaffer says:

I removed the comment from Jimmy. Racist comments like that will not be tolerated on this site. Sorry to anyone who may have read them.

• M says:

Thank you. I’ve just glanced at the comments: and although the love/hate emotions felt towards the vuvuzelas is clear; there is a fine line being played.

To say you hate the instrument is one thing – but to start making ridiculous petty comments towards banning the ENTIRE continent of hosting WC’s because of the decision of certain people within the SA stadiums (of all cultures, ages, etc) is insane and out of place.

People should think before they write unnecessary comments.

• Buzzbored says:

I dont think the comments are that ridiculous tbh . The noise is very ridiculous and is very off putting . And the comments are not unnecessary either . Just a voice of a very unnecessary noise . By all means play your vuvuzela …… Just not so unnecessarily and without the excessiveness . The majority of the world loves football . But we dont all feel the need to play a 128 db x 5,000 ( at a guess ) to drown out a perfectly good atmosphere and completely ruin it . I wouldnt condone another S A World cup because that drone is ridiculous . I’m sick of it after a few days and there is nearly 3 weeks to go to the final .
          Why do you feel the need to comment against the objections to the Vuvuzela and call it out of place when clearly the Vuvuzela is out of place . Players cannot communicate properly because of the noise and spectators around the world cannot bare to watch any world cup game because 90% of them think they have Tinnitus after 15 mins .
          Moderation is the key here . Vuvuzela is constant and really annoys me .
          UN:F [1.8.8_1072]

sry for repeat , my comments didnt make sense up top . Apoligies in advance .

• M says:

You make a valid point when you say: Moderation is the key. There, I fully agree. Someone made a good point earlier saying maybe they should only be played during SA games. That, for example, is an interesting take. Or someone else said if you ban that – ban all other annoying noises. That too, is a fair point.

I am neither from SA nor particularly like the vuvuzela’s, but I’m just amazed at the comments pulling the entire continent of Africa into one “pot” now saying there should be no WC in Africa. To me, that’s pure comedy.

That sort of angle on the situation is what I find absurd. People have the right to different views on any given subject. People have made valid points – and others, at times – are making ridiculous ones. But c’est la vie. Not everyone can always word their justified reactions in a respectful and constructive manner. Life goes on.

50. Eious says:

There is zero good that it brings. It annoys the high, HIGH majority of people…so much so that TV stations almost universally want to zone them out

51. gary says:

this is ridiculous. the game is a world game. people have the right to express themselves as fans of the game.

it’s really quite simple.

talk about imperialism in the game of football. the game belongs to everybody and is able to withstand all differences. let’s celebrate that wonderful aspect of football. i’d hate to think there’s only one acceptable form of supporting a match.

52. Darren Brogden says:

Ban this crap vuvuzela they are runing the world cup. The vuvuzela is making this the least enjoyable world cup on record.

53. john says:

So what these south africans are saying is that they have the right to disrupt the players just because these horns are some kind of tradition.What do you think would happen if they took their tradition and showed up to a golf tournament ,thats right ,that horn would get shoved down their throats.I for one will only struggle through watching my country play for this world cup and not spend a single dime on any cup memrobilia until the next cup match in 2014.The only thing these south africans are guaranteeing is that another world cup will never be hosted by them or any country that has those stupid horns.

54. Buzzbored says:

OK S A , the whole world can see how prowd you are of your football culture and sport , we get it now . Please though for all our sanity just tone down that stupid minor tone annoying instrument . By all means play it but why play it constantly on one continuous note .
    Please form some bands , make some tunes , and play constructively to reflect the game at play to improve the atmosphere rather than drown it out . It is the World cup and yes it is in S A but lots of people are not from S A and i can honestly say i’m unable to watch any of the games and enjoy the World cup because i have to run away from fear of being attacked by a swarm of Bee’s .
    Surely even some South African’s can agree with me on this . That single monotone note is loud and atmosphere ruining . I also know for a fact that the Vuvuzela is a proper instrument and can be played like one .
    Peace to all world cup country supporters .

55. zv says:

They are a dreadful intrusion on the usual enjoyment of the singing and chanting of the various countries. It is particularly awful when listening to the radio, as the commentary can hardly be heard and the support of the crowd, or there displeasure or cheering is not apparent. I turn the sound off if watching TV, but if I’m out with only a radio, or in the car my enjoyment is completely ruined. Please do everything you can to get this racket stopped

56. LeeView says:

These games were a GREAT opportunity for South Africa to show to the world their personality, their culture. And they show to us: NOISY, NOISY, NOISY people.

After the world cup, if you will ask somebody to make a characterization of a S.A. people what they will say : hard-working, smart, courageous etc ?

NO, just NOISY PEOPLE.

It is not up to us to remove vuvuzela from their stadiums. It is up to them to remain in the memory of billions !!! of peoples as the most NOISY nation.

57. Don Wood says:

I am so glad I didn’t waste time & money to go to South Africa as there would be no escape from those infernal vuvuzelas inside the grounds. Imagine having to put up with that racket for 2 hours.
    Having said that, I don’t think they should be banned, even if FIFA or the SA authorities had the guts to do so, unless it is proved that they are a health hazard.
    If the Bafana Bafana want to blow their brains out, just let them.
    The BBC & ITV must know the strength of feeling against the vuvu, and if they have the technology, they should filter out or decrease the volume of the vuvu considerably.
    Apparently, ESPN in the US have successfully done so.
    If our broadcasters don’t have such technology, why don’t they provide a commentary only service without crowd noise. Let’s face it, nothing else can be heard above the buzzing of the vuvu, so no atmosphere would be lost.
    I use the mute button, but it is weird watching the matches in silence. I have even tried muting & listening to Radio 5 Live commentary, but they still have the vuvus. WHY for goodness sake.
    We must all pressure BBC & ITV to do the right thing.
    I have emailed both of them to do more for their viewers.

58. US Soccer Fan says:

Nothing better than having surround sound TV and listen to a soccer game that sounds like the system is completely broken. If they won’t BAN the stupid noise devices (vuvuzelas) then the TV people who paid all the money to broadcast should figure out how to broadcast the game WITHOUT the noise… just so we can hear announcers… DON’T want to hear the crowds… because THEY canNOT even hear themselves…. BUT seriously, I still do NOT understand why FIFA doesn’t ban them… what if everyone used an air horn… would they allow that too…. JUST INCREDIBLE STUPIDITY at the highest levels of management. And they get paid to make these (or not make these) decisions too??? HOPE THEY ALL GO DEAF and SOON!!!!

• Jeff says:

Tell me about it, and if I remember correctly, didn’t MLS ban that piece of junk after receiving multiple complaints as well. I’ve rather listened to the likes of Martin Tyler and company than hearing the bee buzz. If FIFA demands vuvuzelas to be used in every league, please sue FIFA & Sepp Blatter for every penny because there will be so many protests calling for his head, that FIFA will have to take him out of the equation.

59. Vuvuno says:

This has to go. I am seriously thinking of not watching another game. I know that this is a tradition in their culture but they are hosting a “world” cup. I think that FIFA needs to step up here and do what is best for fans, players, and world TV and radio listeners. All traditions can be practiced but a certain amount of safety for hearing and enjoyment needs to also be considered here. There are many African traditions that aren’t being practiced at the world cup. I think they owe the world a favor and need to put away their horns during play. I am constantly turning off the volume for games. I just can’t stand it anymore. I might not watch anymore. Should FIFA allow this to continue it is so bad that I doubt support will be there again for another cup in South Africa and I don’t think it is a joke that this sound is actually turning people off to watching and enjoying the games. Let’s hear the crowd and enjoy the game.

60. drcbk says:

Ban the vuvuzela.

Why? Because of TUBERCULOSIS. The best way to spread TB is to cough; perhaps the second best way to move mycobacteria tuberculosis from deep in one’s lungs to the outside air is to blow on a vuvuzela. Blow, spread TB, blow, spread TB; repeat for 90 minutes.

South Africa has one of the highest rates of HIV and TB in the world–the two diseases frequently go hand-in-hand. Many millions of South Africans are infected with tuberculosis, many of those are football fans who are attending the games, and many of them do not know they are infected.

At a football match, would you stand next to a person who coughed on you for 90 minutes straight? I wouldn’t. But would you stand next to a vuvuzela-blower at a match in South Africa for 90 minutes? Probably, especially if you didn’t mind the noise. Now that you know a fan could be blowing his TB bacteria into the air around you for the whole match, would you still want to stand next to him while he blows his vuvuzela?

So, for the health of everyone in those stadiums–for the health of South Africans, Koreans, French, English, Cote d’Ivoirians, Senegalese, Germans, Brazilians, Mexicans–ban the vuvuzela.

Dr CBK

61. James Dean says:

When I went to the World Cup games here in the US in 1994, I remember how irritating the sound of drums were near my seat. People were beating them constantly without a break. It ruined my experience. Perhaps the vuvuzelas are more annoying but the fact is that other types of musical instruments, be it drums or horns, can be just as annoying. If you ban one type you should ban all.

62. Stephane says:

Honestly what happened to the chants like the Froza Azuri, Ales le Bleu, God save our team and many more. What happen to having people be creative to cheer their team on. I’m sorry 130-144 decibels from one person is enough but 1/4 of stadium that has 90,00 people in honmestly. The world may be a gust in SA but have some respect. We aren’t use to the sound and that is just rude. I hate to say buit I thin that the stupid horn will have a negative on any future chance of an African Nation hosting this great event. I believe Africa is ready to play ball on this level but the idea “It’s here get use to it” I’m sorry it may sound rude but it is stupid and ignorant

63. buzzbored says:

Moderation is the key here . Vuvuzela is constant and really annoys me .

64. LFerr says:

I hope everyone who hates vuvuzelas (or wants video replays) tweets @seppblatter about them … even if he reads as many as one in a thousand tweets, if he gets thousands of anti-vuvuzela tweets…

The South Africans are embarassing the rest of Africa by calling them ‘traditional African instruments’. Drums are ‘traditional African instruments’, but the African drummers in the crowd are being drowned out by these droning hornets that were only introduced into South African football in the 1990s. They are unknown (before this WC) in West, North, and East Africa.

Africa has rhythm. Vuvuzelas have no rhythm.

I have no trouble with vuvuzelas been seen as the symbol of the 2010 World Cup – but they should be just seen and not heard.

So compromises – ban them for every match where both teams want them banned. That means if there’s a match involving South Africa, they’ll be around, which is fine and gives the South Africans the home advantage that is their due as hosts. I bet many players from the other five African countries will want the vuvuzelas banned as well, though the heads of their football federations may accept the vuvuzelas to please the South Africans politically.

I hear the vuvuzela manufacturers have been asked to develop a vuvuzela that is less loud. That’s great, but FIFA should have done so after the Confederations Cup.

Read an article about Carragher buying vuvuzelas for his kids. Sure, I’d do the same in his position – souveniers and all that. I’d also be in danger of shooting my kids two months later when I wake up to the sound of vuvuzelas in the morning outside our bedroom door.

65. LFerr says:

One more thing – I grew up in West Africa. If FIFA ever gives West Africa the World Cup, we sure as hell are going to have crowds with lots of colour, dancers, singers, and lots and lots of drummers. Those drummers – no two alike – will have rhythms that will take your feet away from you and make you dance before you realize you’re dancing. We won’t have any of this vuvuzela nonsense. We’ve been thumping drums for centuries – those South African kiddies have only had vuvuzelas for 20 years. They’re like teenagers on the latest fad.

So please, to all of you who say that Africa should never have a World Cup again – please don’t lump all of us in one pot. Say instead that South Africa should never have a World Cup again (not that I actually agree with that, I’m saying South Africa isnt all of Africa) – West Africa can give you a proper African World Cup a dozen years from now. Sure, we’ll have other problems, but we’ll show you what a real African festival looks like!

• Raatzie says:

Sounds like your nation (you didn’t specify which) would be willing to do so.

I’m fine with that.

66. Patty Sidune says:

The vuvuzela is attacked for being African, and it is derived from the horn blowing custom that was typically African. Roger Milla’s celebration dance was typically African and became a precedent for goal celebration by African and South American teams.
    The vuvuzela is Africa’s way of telling the rest of the world, “we have the power”.
    Africans too, are not impressed by all modes of cheering and sound making that other countries in other continents offer to their teams, but Africans have not complained about it, or even asked for it to be banned.

What I can say here is that the vuvuzela will be in the next world cup, just the way whistles, drums and nudity, which are not acceptable to other cultures, travel around with the world cup and olympics.

Vuvuzelas will be established fully in club games in the English premier league before the next Olympic games in 2012.

We have the power.

We have plastic horns.

And we can blow them.

We are awesome.

• Duke says:

Yes, Africa, you have the power. You have the power to be the most annoying sports fans on the planet. You have the power to make me hope for hooligans to start a riot in the stands.

What a load of BS. So, there is no cheering at football matches anywhere on the African continent? What did African fans do 30 years ago, before these beshitted horns were invented?

• Duke says:

Also, you speak for the entire continent? I thought the vuvuzela was a particulary South African phenomenom.

67. Sagar says:

Football is a widely accepted game and a fun to watch If fifa would run WC in Tibet they better get ready for more sound then just the plastic buzz.. i know it will take years to get fifa to tibet.. I mean this sound is really getting my ears and if evry one is complaining then why not be banned….Chanting is much fun to hear and a good inspiration to players i suppose…who know if fifa wud be in India they wud not even ban harmoniums tooo………….. how wickeed!!!!!!!!

68. Al says:

FIFA needs to show some courage and stop choking on political correctness. These horns cannot be favourably compared with cheering or singing voices which are universally accepted accross the globe. They are in fact designed to drown out the human voice, and the cheering patterns that are unique to different regions. Note this. ANYTHING can be “defended” in the name of “culture”. Therefore “culture” does not present a sound argument against a practice that is an insessant assault on the senses. What if the next fad is to bring sirens into the stadium? The big mistake was made when these noisemakers where allowed for general use at games in the first place. Hopefully a lesson has been learned!

69. Alex says:

One thing worth noting is, just like the Olympics, the World Cup depends on TV viewership to pay the bills (especially when held in relatively far-off places where attending in person is less practical). My parents were planning to watch the World Cup on TV, but turned it off because of the vuvuzela. If the ratings show a dive because of it, that may force FIFA to reconsider not banning them. Or if a major team threatens to pull out of the competition as a direct result. It’s still very early days for the Cup – this thing goes for a month – so we’ve yet to see what long-term effects the vuvuzela may have on ratings and teams. All we need is for a particularly popular team to successfully appeal a loss on the grounds of vuvuzela, or go home without completing, or for someone to suffer hearing loss and launch lawsuit — lots of factors could still come into play. All I can say is, whether it’s a cultural thing or not, it’s spoiled it for me. I’ll read the results in my local newspaper and avoid watching the coverage altogether.

70. M says:

“I said Africa shouldn’t get another World Cup unless they pledge to ban these stupid horns from it.”
    Ah, my bad, I hadn’t caught that part. Makes sense. But the instrument isn’t played in other parts of the continent so it won’t be an issue.

But while watching the Spain Switzerland game I tried to focus more on the sounds (ironically, before the whole halabaloo on them I never paid attention) and I see now why it may annoy some. I couldn’t care less, but I feel for those who are there and can’t chant/support their team.

I think someone raised the point of moderation and it’s the best I’ve heard argued. If FIFA could, they should make rules so only SA games or goal celebrations allow the vuvuzelas. Something along those lines. Because, let’s face it, if they really annoy THAT many people – it’d be silly not to try and find a compromise or solution so you don’t loose viewers and or fans. It is a World Cup, making it enjoyable for everyone is key.

But talking about not watching another game is absurd. If you love football, which I assume most of us do – it’s not a buzzing sound that will deprive you of watching the WC. And if it is? Hm. Wow.

Anyway I hope this is sorted out by FIFA, too much attention has gone to it instead of focusing on the beautiful game. Lessons learnt – from here on out FIFA should consider what is/isn’t acceptable at stadiums.

71. Mick says:

I’m a South African, and we have to endure this racket ON and Off the field…even around where we live. And a friend of mine has his dogs going nuts (like when there’s fireworks) But the Vuvu is catching on with ALL nations here. Not only local South Africans. Don’t be surprised to see them at your local Stadium in the fututre.

72. Machojesus says:

Well done tonight Uruguay. There were that many vuvuzelas out of the stadium by the time the third went in that you could actually hear the crowd cheer. Music to my ears! :D

73. graeme boreham says:

ban the horns from the world cup they cazy you or i will not watch the football if you dont ban them

74. graeme boreham says:

ban the horns now

75. Domenico says:

I cannot watch any of the games at all because of that drone. I would not suggest what the fans there should do, FIFA should just know that many folks cannot listen to 90 mins plus of fart noises. It is a business decision.

76. JohnA says:

Plus they are not part of traditional South African football culture, they just started a few years ago.
    Plus most people seem to hate them.
    Plus they make the South Africans seem like childish, stupid, selfish idiots. Plus you can’t hear the ordinary interesting crowd sound.
    For all of those reasons, they should be banned.

77. JohnA says:

Well, it will be many years before Africa gets a world cup again. South America, North America, Europe, Asia, and Australia/Oceania will get world cups before Africa gets one again, and even then, because of the problems of this African world cup (crime, poor lodgings, those idiotic horns), FIFA may decide not to give it to Africa again.
    South Africa had it’s chance to impress the world with this world cup. But unfortunately for Africa, they blew it. Literally and figuratively.

78. Mick says:

JohnA: Have you ever BEEN to South Africa?? I am SA. Yes we have crime,but so do Many other countries and during the WC the Polce force is on full alert so I don’t think that will be a problem. As for ‘poor lodging’..you don’t have a clue what you’re talking about!! NOT A CLUE!
    Our lodgings rate the best IN THE WORLD…you get what you pay for. From 5 star hotels to Band B in the most beautiful sorroundings you can imagine. Just Google my Country! Furthermore,the Vuvuzela is being used by ALL fans from ALL countries..not only by,as you state “childish idiotic South Africans”

79. Mick says:

AND another thing JohnA…we have not ‘blown it” as you stated. The Game is on….the stadiums are full and the Fans are smiling. So watch what you say mister!! A proud South African. World Rugby champs!

80. Andrew says:

As with others placing comments here, I am also a South African, not an African, there is a distinct difference in what part of the continent we live in. And I would also like to see the ban on this “tube”, as it cannot be classified anything near to a musical instrument. There are similiar shaped devices out there that ARE musical instruments, and are made and “tuned” by music professionals to reach a melodious note, which is not irritating to the human ear on the whole.
    Some have pointed it out in their comments, but others are totally oblivious to it, the key is the RIGHT to undamaged hearing first and foremost. Someone referred to rock concerts etc, and yes your hearing can be damaged at these gatherings to, but generally a function like this happens once (one day or more) in so many years. And scientifically proven, any decibel level over 120db’s, no matter what the content of the sound, for seconds or longer is permanent hearing loss, no recovery. The ringing in your ears after loud sounds, of what is tinnitus, is a frequency permanently lost.
    Again Man’s arrogance is in the way, as we think this is our exclusive world, and we can do and make all the noise in the world whether from fireworks, or vuvuzela’s, with total disregard for others (man and beast alike) on this planet and make some stupid remark that it is part of something, in this case Football/Soccer. Here’s the facts on the vuvuzela, many claim to the invention of this tube, but they only took off about a year prior to the announcement of S.A. getting the WC. so where is the tradition as is being claimed. Get any old sports footage out, whether Football or any other game, and listen, and observe, no vuvuzela’s, even for S.A. games. Just the beautiful chant of thousands of human voices all singing together, not ear deafening, with permanent hearing loss, just great uplifting sound. That’s the real feeling of going to a live sports event not some man made infernal object blown by morons.

81. Yes, ban it or let it be for initial 10 minutes. not the whole match. We need to hear the crowd cheer and not this sound! Its ruining the world cup viewing experience.

82. sal says:

Cultural tradition? I think not. The Chinese manufacturers claim the invented it in 2001 tried to push it for the 2006 WC in Germany but the krauts were smarter and more classy. So they pushed it again for the 2010. And well Africans are Africans they like alot of noise, so they adopted it as a part of their culture. This is all pure and simple manipulation by the Chinese. Africans will believe anything you tell them.

83. slimj091 says:

if you can hear the ref’s whistle, and the thud of of a player playing a powerful volley off of the ball then it’s not too loud. the people complaining about the vuvuzela are the same type of people that complained when south africa was chosen to host the world cup in the first place, euro snobs.

84. slimj091 says:

“Those annoying horns cause hearing loss, worse than rock concerts or airplanes taking off. Doctors warn against them. For that reason alone, they should be banned.
    Plus most people seem to hate them.
    For all of those reasons, they should be banned.”

personally i think some of the really raunchy and disrespectful chants/songs english supporters let loose during matches make them look like childish, stupid, selfish idiots.
    plus english singing is just as loud as vuvuzela’s, and some people find it just as annoying.
    plus most of the people that hate them are not at the WC. they are at home watching on TV. if you are not at the WC you have no room to bitch about what kind of fan interaction is going on at the WC.
    plus most every other countries supporters have adopted the vuvuzela for their own fan interaction during this WC. that annoying sound you hear during your countries matches isn’t SA fans. it’s your own countrymen that unlike you made the journey to south africa to take part in the WC.
    plus stop being a snob.

• Sean says:

i agree. as a person who has watched 60+ games a season, all in different leagues (mainly the premiership) i find that other instruments, songs, and other noises can become far more annoying than the vuvzela. i’ve actually heard from a friend that people in the stadiums have loved the vuvuzelas and feel that they create a unique atmosphere for the matches. i watched pretty much all the confederations cup matches last year as well, and when i first heard the buzzing, i thought “what’s this?” but in a curious way, i was never put off by them. i’m proud to say that i support the use of the vuvzelas in international matches, and if certain groups or nations do not like them, then ban them at your league matches. that’s what your federation is there for dumb nonsense complaints like the ones i’ve read here.

and to those who are moaning “oh those bloody trumpets, oh the damn buzzing i can’t bear to watch on tv blah blah blah..”….i have two questions: 1) why do you have your ear pressed up against your tv speakers? and 2) why do you have the volume at a level so loud that the background noise, yes the BACKGROUND noise, is bothering you? it perhaps YOU people that need to grow a pair and enjoy the football, not spend you evenings on countless forums or conversations moaning about a fan accessory.

85. Domenico says:

I don’t know why it is annoying, it is just annoying. Banning them here in the USa is not an issue, no one would tolerate that racket for a second. The issue is not banning them here, it was watching the world cup.

86. A says:

Ban the Damned Horns , its fuking annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

87. Paul S. says:

C’mon. This issue is overblown (pardon the pun) and too many whiners are making it seem like the world is suffering. I doubt many advertisers have experienced a lack of return for their money as all broadcasts that I have watched (Univision, ABC, ESPN) have shown the vuvuzula to have only a low key drone in the background I don’t notice but a few times per game. Not sure about fans in the stadium however. Get over your arrogant attitudes and deal with the way South Africans enjoy their sporting events. Watching Wibeldon instead? Oh please, the horror.

88. Dino says:

This will be the last year ever that South Africa will hold a FiFa world cup. The Vuvuzela should have been banned, but were not…. due to ensuing riots and a bunch of leaders who are weak . Too bad, because they are so anoying and disruptive to the players and the fans. As I see it they should have given the people with the vuvuzela’s a bunch of bananas to keep them quiet.