THURS, 12PM ET
VIL
THURS, 3PM ET
EVE
WOL

U.S. Team Announces 23-man World Cup Roster

ussoccer U.S. Team Announces 23 man World Cup Roster

The clock has struck midnight on the World Cup dreams of seven players as coach Bob Bradley unveiled his 23-man roster for next month’s World Cup in South Africa.

Here is your United States men’s National Team:

Goalkeepers: Tim Howard, Brad Guzan and Marcus Hahnemann

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra, Oguchi Onyewu, Jay DeMerit, Steve Cherundolo, Jonathan Spector, Clarence Goodson, Jonathan Bornstein

Midfielders: Landon Donovan, Michael Bradley, Stuart Holden, Maurice Edu, Ricardo Clark, DaMarcus Beasley, Benny Feilhaber, Jose Francisco Torres

Forwards: Clint Dempsey, Jozy Altidore, Herculez Gomez, Edson Buddle, Robbie Findley

This group will have one more World Cup tune-up before leaving for Africa when it hosts Turkey in Philadelphia on Saturday. The Nats will then face Australia in South Africa on June 5 in preparation for the tournament opener against England on June 12.

Shocked that Brian Ching was left off for Findley? Wondering why Bedoya missed out? Glad to see both Buddle and Gomez?

What do you think?

0 Responses to U.S. Team Announces 23-man World Cup Roster

1. Robert says:

I’m pretty happy to see who Bradley decided to go with except for J. Bornstein who is the worst player on the squad. Findley prob won’t get any playing time but nice to see we are taking 4-5 forwards. I would like to see a 3-5-2 to not play bornstein but most likely get a 4-5-1

Spector——-Boca—–Gooch——Demerit
    Edu——Bradley
    Dempsey —– Torres——–Donovan
    Altidore/Gomez

2. jim in SF says:

it would be a better article if you specify who was dropped.

3. Randy Capps says:

Chad Marshall and Heath Pearce; midfielders Alejandro Bedoya, Sacha Kljestan and Robbie Rogers; and forwards Brian Ching and Eddie Johnson were the ones dropped.

4. Geoff says:

We chose Robbie Findley over Brian Ching…

We chose Robbie Findley over Brian Ching……

We Chose Robbie Findley Over Brian Ching.

Oh my god! No matter how many times I say it, it just sounds horrible. Just the worst thing. What the hell happened?

Brian Ching may not have been in best form last night, but shouldn’t we have a single veteran forward in the group? And certainly, if not that, Ching is leaps and bounds better than… Findley.

we chose robbie findley over brian ching…

5. Eric Altshule says:

The biggest shock is Findley for Ching. I can’t see the scenario where Findley gets actual playing time in South Africa – he did not get on the field last night and he has not been lighting it on fire in MLS this season. Ching, on the other hand, has the ability to come on late and get a poacher’s goal. I will be really interested to hear Bradley’s reason for this one.

6. james says:

Findley over Ching is a definite mistake, but might be an instance of Bradley looking to the future.

A 3-5-2 would be a terrible idea. With the advent of the attacking fullback, you rarely see a defensively successful 3-5-2 as it allows for way too much space on the flanks. Even with midfield cover, the 3 back get pulled wide and a DM has to drop back to help cover the middle. We’re better off with a 4-5-1/4-3-3

7. Jack says:

I would take Ching over Findlay. Bornstein is the best of the worst between him and Pearce.

8. Seybold says:

Surprised to see Ching not make it with Finley, Buddle and Gomez all in.

Gomez I can see given his hot form, for sure. Buddle’s likely in because of how well he’s played with Donovan for the Galaxy. Ching’s hold up play and passing vision was good yesterday, so I would’ve assumed he’d be the likely sub for Altidore.

I can only suspect that Dempsey will move up top late in matches, if not earlier (especially since Holden looks like he belongs). Dempsey did well as a target man at times for Fulham, so perhaps that affected Bradley’s thinking. Finley must be on the plane for his speed, which I suppose could be useful as an 85th minute sub. But still, a big surprise.

9. bradjmoore48 says:

The only rationale I can think of for taking Findley over Ching is that Ching was never really competing with Findley, but with Dempsey up top. Bob was set with his subs in Gomez, Buddle and Findley, but he needed a starting forward with Jozy, and for whatever reason, Dempsey was just a better choice in Bob’s eyes than Ching. I’m still at a loss, I thought Ching played well last night, especially with Gomez (the back line was a totally different story).

10. james says:

Dempsey is definitely a better choice than Ching. Dempsey’s form for Fulham has been very good, whereas Ching has not been competing at the same level. I know Dempsey’s goal against Juve is just one goal, but the vision and the skill it showed at the highest level of the game is something Dempsey will always have over Ching.

Dempsey was also the US’s savior in the Confed Cup, scoring three straight goals, two of them coming against the world’s top teams, Spain and Brazil. He’s earned his spot and when he’s playing well is world class.

11. jim in SF says:

I haven’t seen much of Findlay, but I do not think Ching can compete at the World Cup level. Leave him home, bring him, play him, his chances of contributing are about equal.

I have not seen him play with any vision or finesse and IMHO any defender at South Africa would have no problems marking him.

12. Rafael says:

Between Findley and Ching, Ching wins hands down. He is a better player.
    However, I am really disappointed that Bedoya was left out.

It should have been Bedoya instead of Findley going to the WC. This makes even more sense if Dempsey is going to see time at FWD.

13. Chris Webb says:

It’s not really a choice of Findley over Ching. Two “target” players already are on this roster in Altidore and Buddle. Both of whom possess more skill and arguably better finishing ability. Now, Ching lovers will come here and praise his work ethic. I love how hard B Ching works too, but at the end of the day, he’s just not a threat at the international level and i think that was the deciding factor.

BB was going with the hot hand and if this team doesn’t make it out of group play, no one will say it was because they miss Brian Ching.

I’m glad BB resisted the temptation to take Sascha, who just doesn’t cut it at this level. He’s been playing well in MLS, but it’s a different animal at the Int’l level.

Now of course the argument can be made against Buddle and Gomez about their lack of Int’l experience. This much is true, but at the end of the day I think Bradley chose two players who have been in red-hot form and who offer something a bit different than the predictable game effort of Ching.

I actually feel bad for Ching as he sat the bench for the entire 06′ World Cup and didn’t make this squad when it was painfully obvious that this team was lacking a true standout striker.

14. Viz says:

I am happy that Ching is not in the lineup. Safe to say he probably would have not seen playing time either, no different than Findley. But if you consider that had he been selected, he could have received some playing time; well to me, that’s as scary as starting Gooch at CB with his “no rustiness.”

I also feel that a 3-5-2 is absurd and we shouldn’t even attempt it. We have enough issues with 4 in the backline. Did anyone see Glen Johnson’s rocket vs. Mexico? Yeah, imagine that with only 3 defenders. I do feel that a 4-5-1 is probably the best option.

D: Spector – DeMerit – A Wooden Dummy Wearing Gooch’s Jersey – Boca
    M: Beasley – Clark – Dempsey – Bradley – Donavon
    F: Altidore

This can very easily be shifted to a 4-4-2 just by putting Dempsey higher in the pitch next to Jozy. I also think that Clark & Bradley are a little more defense which is perfect considering how soft our Defense is. I am not sold on Beasley so Holden can substitute if you’re not a Beasley fan either. He has the old cliche of “more experience” so that’s why I’d give him the nod with change of pace Holden coming off the bench.

To compete with England I truly feel we should run that 4-5-1 otherwise we may get hammered. Against Algeria & Solvenia we could probably run the 4-4-2 and be ok.

Oh, and for the record… Bornstein better trip and fall getting off the bus. Can we go with a 22-man roster?

15. Cristy says:

I’m a Ching supporter. I’m sad to see that he didn’t make the 23 man roster with all the hard work he has put in. He worked hard to come back from an injury. I feel he played awesome last night. However I’m not BB and I didn’t have to make this decision. I will root for the US in the World Cup and hopefully BB decision can prove my doubts wrong.
    I hope Beasley has overcome his crying and tantrum throwing when calls don’t go his way.

16. Blackie Bridger says:

Just tried the 4-5-1 against ENGLAND in FIFA WC 2010 with the updated rosters, on PROFESSIONAL I BEAT ENGLAND 5-0 seems like a good strategy with the matchups.

17. Geoffrey says:

You know who I want on the team. Jamar Beasley, Bobby Convey and…..FREDDY ADU!!!! SOCCER’S CARMELO ANTHONY/WAYNE GRETZKY! Adu will be awesome, ‘cuz he’s such a ballin’ goal scorer. Was the first pick of the MLS Draft in 2003 at the ripe age of 14, though he turned down Inter Milan for $750,000. He’s a two-time MLS All-Star, and is playing the lights out at Aris. Put Adu on the team! And hope Hahnemann starts!