SUN, 8:30AM ET
TRI1
THFC2
SAT, 7:45AM ET
AST
NEW

Alexi Lalas Discusses USMNT On Jim Rome Show: Video

Last week, Alexi Lalas appeared on the Jim Rome Show to discuss several World Cup topics including his concerns about the striking options for the U.S. men’s national team, Landon Donovan’s role in the team, what it’ll mean to the US team if they get knocked out of the first round and the significance of the USMNT playing in South Africa.

This entry was posted in Leagues: Major League Soccer, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Alexi Lalas Discusses USMNT On Jim Rome Show: Video

1. Joe says:

Hell has offically frozen over.

2. Dan says:

Did Jim come out of the closet or something?

3. Jake Islas says:

I think that “Messi, 5’6″, 148lb” remark was a hidden diss at the game, so everyone watching the show that’s not a soccer fan would make a judgement. Maybe I’m looking too much into it, but I just don’t trust Rome when it comes to soccer.

4. Michael says:

Haven’t watched it yet, but my guess is it’s Rome reading through his teeth from a script supplied by his ESPN employers while a man with a cattle prod stands by just in case “soccer is NOT a real sport” comes out of his mouth.

• Michael says:

Ooooh – Lalas fed Rome the line “there was a time when nobody cared,” and you KNOW Rome wanted to say something there, but he stayed on script.

Almost makes up for how inane Lalas is the other 99% of the time.

5. Sam says:

Fitting that Rome chooses the worst American “expert” imaginable. Couple that with Jim Rome himself and I couldn’t bring myself to watch more than 10 seconds of it.

I recall someone saying that Lalas sounds like the sort of guy that you’d wanna sit down and have a beer with and perhaps that’s why Rome chose to speak to him instead of someone who actually knows what he’s talking about. Shit, talk to Max Bretos even.

6. Kevin_Amold says:

I must be the only person that doesn’t think Lalas is a dope. I generally like listening to him. I mean, the man played the game at a high level for a long time, he obviously knows a thing or two.

• Kevin_Amold says:

Having said that, I’d prefer that Wynalda get himself on this show somehow…..

• Richard says:

Lalas knows f@#kall about soccer.

• callitfootballnotsoccer says:

I’m sorry but Lalas is a wishful thinker. Playing almost his entire life in the US soccer league which is not even close to international standards. That one time he was allowed to play in Italy he played for one of the worst clubs who struggled extremely during the time he was playing an almost didn’t survive the season. Lalas has a big mouth about people who play better than he ever did…I can’t stand his smartass comments on ESPN. Pretending he was a soccer superhero. Ask anybody in Europe or South America who Alexi Lalas is….guess what, he is a nobody!

7. Eric Altshule says:

I think this is one of those moments when the market is speaking. Do I think Rome likes soccer now? Of course not. But I doubt he ever really hated it – I think his anti-soccer tirades were 75% schtick that was entertaining to some of his meathead listeners. However, soccer is big business now, especially as the World Cup approaches. If Rome wants to be part of major networks that are investing millions of dollars in this sport (like ESPN), he has to get on board. Rome may not like soccer, but the World Cup will be the biggest sports story this summer, and if he wants to be in the sports commentary business, we can expect more of this to come.

8. Patrick Kennedy says:

People can say what they want about Lalas but at least he’s not just an analytical twit. He lays his cards on the table weather you like it or not. US soccer often needs an injection of passion.

9. Porque says:

i like lalas when it comes to the US team because he speaks the truth. doesnt mean he is bashing but he just sees the truth and speaks it. he also knows alot and says what he has to say swiftly than most commentators ive seen; most go “uhhh uhhhhh….SOCCER!” lol but when it comes to mls thats when he sounds alittle dumb because he thinks he knows all the mls clubs when in reality they are almost all the same so there no need for commentary on parity.

lol at the end i saw jim rome looking at his script. fail preperation

10. Porque says:

lol i bet when the cameras shut off lalas and rome had a fist fight

Lalas > rome

11. CA says:

Really that wasn’t a bad interview/analysis from Lalas. He’s been a schmuck plenty of times in the past, but this was pretty solid.

12. joe says:

Rome probably as puking in teh tolet for 3 hours after this interview.

• It's pronounced yoo-EFF-a says:

I agree. Poor Jim. Lalas only confirmed the stereotype that the sport is for wimps. Check out how his voice squeaks when he says “no one used to care!”. What a sissy.

If you want the sport to become popular, interview Messi (he can have subtitles) or Rooney or Ballack (subtitles again) or Gerrard. Tough guys who can kick your ass. Not squeaky voice Lalas. What an embarrassment.

• Cavan says:

Eurosnobs are getting to be an embarassment.

• james says:

Yeah, what’s with this inferiority complex when it comes to “toughness” in American sports.

Soccer is a physical sport, but it’s silly to continuously be afraid of meeting a certain stereotype of soccer “wimpiness.” I agree, it would be better if Rome interviewed actual players, but it’s really silly to be constantly worried about soccer looking “tough” enough.

13. Soccerfan says:

I’m sorry but the US soccer team will be very happy if they even proceed to the next round. US soccer is not even close to the European, African or South American level. Even Asia is still a step ahead in my opinion.
    In general I am very dissappointed about the ESPN moderator job of Lalas. He played in Italy, I give him that credit, but he played in a bad team who barely survived the season. Therefore Lalas has quite a big mouth for his opinions. Ruud Gullit, like him or not, is the fairly well more qualified soccer player and has a career Lalas could only have dreamed of. I don’t like to hear him talk international top teams and players down on TV since he was never an international star. It’s not all about cool looks and a big mouth in soccer Mr. Lalas…

14. JD says:

America already has accepted soccer. Soccer World Cup ratings beat World Series baseball and basketball playoffs. It wont pass football but who cares. Doesn’t have to. Rome only rants on soccer because he doesn’t understand it. And what we can’t understand. he is frightened of. How can he report on a sport he doesn’t get? That’s his reasoning for attacking. If soccer wasn’t a threat. He would ignore it. We’ve seen that before. Soccer is here to stay. Deal with it like a man.

15. ranndino says:

If this is not proof that ESPN is fully behind soccer I don’t know what is. Jim Rome actually having a normal discussion about soccer? I never thought I’d see the day.

I don’t get why all soccer fans constantly bash any commentator or analyst on TV. Could you all do as well, or better? I strongly doubt it.

I have no problem with Lalas. He knows what he’s talking about and isn’t afraid to state his opinions. What does how good he was as a player have to do with anything I really don’t get. It’s his job now to analyze & when needs to be criticize players. It has absolutely nothing to do with whether he was better than them or not when he played! If that was the case only the best players ever would be hired as analysts or no one would ever be able to criticize anyone. How many of you bash Ronaldo or Beckham, for example? Yet none of you are even 10% a player these guys are.

This type of argument is the same kind of nonsense as someone telling someone else that they can’t criticize a movie unless they know how to make a better one.

16. ze carlos says:

I think Rome and Lalas are both asshole, posturers. Loosers who couldn’t win a video ping pong game against my 6 year old nephew.