Powered by
bra0
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

World Cup Cover Story in Sports Illustrated Magazine

world cup sports illustrated cover World Cup Cover Story in Sports Illustrated Magazine

The May 24th issue of Sports Illustrated magazine features a World Cup cover story penned by Grant Wahl. According to Wahl, it’s the first time soccer has graced the SI cover since David Beckham had his chops on it in July, 2007. Wahl added that he has three lengthy stories inside on the topic of the world’s game.

Bravo Sports Illustrated. I remember in the 80s and early 90s when it was extremely rare to see even a mention of soccer in the magazine which was (and is?) a staple of American sports culture.

This entry was posted in Leagues: Major League Soccer, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to World Cup Cover Story in Sports Illustrated Magazine

1. Rex says:

Please don’t tell me this is going to kick off a summer of media and sports stories of “Why soccer matters” or “Is soccer growing”. For once in this county can we actually talk about the GAME.

2. Charles says:

That would be a short article. Is soccer is growing? MLS attendance 15k in 1994, 15k in 2010.

I agree 100% with you however, lets focus on the game rather than the idiots who don’t follow it.

• Gazza says:

Ummm…….. MLS attendance in 1994 was zero. But to your point 15k in 1996 all in NFL stadiums compared to 16,180 in 11 soccer specific stadiums (with KC, Houston, Portland, and Montreal on the way) is a huge jump.

I like the ‘Is soccer growing’ articles. It makes people look ridiculous. One nutbar in Portland stated on his website that no way more than 100k people watched the World Cup Final in America in 2006 (17 million actually watched).

Last night some caller in Toronto on the Fan590 told the host that he was a liar after he said Toronto FC had a season ticket waiting list (The waiting list is about 14k). He was willing to bet him a $1,000.

Today, Chris ‘Mad Dog’ Russo spent 5 hours today ripping soccer in the most ignorant diatribe I have ever heard. He even told Grant Wahl that he can’t consider the World Cup a significant event or soccer the most popular sport unless the US is involved. To which Grant replied that America has been involved in the last 6 World Cups. I mean come on Mad Dog – you have your own sports radio station!!!

3. Tom says:

I’ll definately buy this issue. Charles, as you well know, they’re a lot more soccer fans in the US, they’re just not going to MLS games (or watching on TV). And no, I’m not happy that is so.

• Tom says:

Although, and I just thought of this sorry for the double post, there are more MLS games, we’ve gone from 10 to 16 teams in that time.

4. Eric Altshule says:

I happen to love the “Why Soccer Matters” articles. I just got my SI in the mail, and they have pictures of kids playing soccer in lots of 3rd world countries, and the pictures are just beautiful. The articles on Drogba, Kaka and Dempsey are great too. This is what I hope for in SI – epic photos combined with insightful, in-depth articles. The fact that SI is turning its powers towards soccer is one of the treats of a World Cup year.

• CoconutMonkey says:

Sounds like some good stuff. Kinda bums me out, though. Just by looking at the cover, I know those kids are better players than me.

Although, sometimes I wish that sports outlets like SI and ESPN would just cover the sport AS IF everyone was a fan.

5. Ben says:

Radio host like Chris Russo or Adam the Bull on WFAN are really annoying, I remember one time he said ” We don’t care about their football” talking about the EPL. Why do he have to say WE. Grow up, soccer is the # 1 sport in the world.

6. Up the Chels!! In Chicago says:

I really hate the people in this country that feel they have to go out of their way to bash soccer, if you don’t like it, keep your mouth shut and keep to the sports you do like. Annoying bastards. That “maddog” stuff is ridiculous, I love when I listen to The Score here in Chicago and they rip on that sports meatball.

7. AtlantaPompey says:

I don’t care who rips the sport of football. Those radio hosts are pandering to their audience, which will never include me. They can say whatever they want. It does not change the fact that soccer/football is the most popular sport in the world.

8. Mike says:

I cannot understand just how brainwashed people are in terms of bashing soccer. These soccer bashers are probably baseball fans. I mean how can you compare the athleticism between the 2 sports. Baseball fans are decreasing, season after season. People are tired of all the rampant drug use and blatant denial of it, which will one day haunt them as they are outed.

For those sports reporters who think that the world revolves around American sports only, how ignorant can you be?! If we look back at our recent American history, we had a clown for 2 terms, people dying in a made up war, a government who blew up their own Twin Towers and blamed it on Al-Queda, and a mortgage collapse that had destroyed the lives of it our people in terms of foreclosures.

6 billion people on the planet and about over 4 billion will watch the World Cup. Let’s compare that with how many will watch the World Series and the Super Bowl combined and then let’s talk.