SAT, 7:45AM ET
SAT, 12:30PM ET
EVE2
ARS2

U.S. Unveils Preliminary World Cup Roster

ussf logo 3 U.S. Unveils Preliminary World Cup Roster

Today’s the day.

U.S. National Team coach Bob Bradley pulled the curtain back on his 30-man preliminary World Cup roster today, and while he still has to whittle that down to a 23-man group in the next couple of weeks, here are those invited to the camp at Princeton.

Goalkeepers: Tim Howard, Brad Guzan and Marcus Hahnemann

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra, Oguchi Onyewu, Steve Cherundolo, Jonathan Spector, Jay DeMerit, Clarence Goodson, Jonathan Bornstein, Heath Pearce and Chad Marshall

Midfielders: Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Stuart Holden, Ricardo Clark, Maurice Edu, Benny Feilhaber, Jose Francisco Torres, Alejandro Bedoya, DaMarcus Beasley, Sacha Kljestian and Robbie Rogers

Forwards: Jozy Altidore, Robbie Findley, Brian Ching, Edson Buddle, Eddie Johnson and Herculez Gomez

Missing from the roster are, among others, Charlie Davies, Conor Casey and Freddy Adu.

“He remained part of the conversation right up until yesterday,”  Bradley said after the roster was announced on ESPNews. “We just felt right now for Charlie, it is in his best interest to continue his rehab and continue to get back to where he was last year.”

So, what do you think?

Angry that Davies wasn’t included? Wishing that Adu or Casey got a call?

And, more importantly, who do you cut to make it down to the 23-man limit?

0 Responses to U.S. Unveils Preliminary World Cup Roster

1. S.C. says:

Sochaux apparently has not given Charlie full medical approval to play in matches yet so BB to an extent had his hands tied there. Also, the USMNT trainers were following CD9 very closely and know exactly how far along he is. Davies is not 100% ruled out either, beyond a long shot: if we need a last minute injury replacement to the 23 man roster, then CD9 could possibly slip in there as he continues his rehab regiment and gets the nod from Sochaux. In Bob We Trust and 2014 for CD9s world cup debut is right around the corner. Solid preliminary roster for us though.

2. james says:

Glad to see Casey was left off of the prelim roster. We need more dynamism in the front than he offers, and while he’s quite good at poaching, the game has moved beyond that tactic, which generally only works against weaker sides (as evidenced by his qualifying goals).

3. Brandon says:

I would have left off Beasley, Johnson, and Kljestian and included Casey, Beckerman, and Davies. I didn’t expect Davies to make the 23, but his being called up would have been a great story that would have perhaps boosted the team. Casey has done a lot since his lazy performance at the Confed cup. He isn’t my favorite player, but he is better at holding up the ball than Ching–and he is healthy–and is more of a scoring threat than Johnson. Beckerman is a better option in the middle than Kljestian. Neither of them would have made the 23-man roster. The seven to be cut: Kljestian, Beasley, Johnson, Pearce, Bedoya, Rogers, and at least one player will go out injured before the WC. My money’s on Ching.

4. eplnfl says:

No surprise at this stage. I would not expect a great deal of uproar when we find out who are the final 23.

5. ELAC says:

There’s little to no chance of CD9 being on this roster, but there is still a chance.
    Too bad, he made a STUPID decision that night to break curfew.

6. wahleyed says:

Casey being left off simply tells me that we’re going to play counterattack for WC. My guess is that its a strategic decision. Why have a player who can hold up the ball when you don’t want to hold it?

7. Rex says:

I would drop Findley, Buddle, Rogers, Kljestan, Marshall, Bornstein.
    Number #7 off is the tough one. Johnson, Gomez, or Beasely.

8. Lloyd says:

Satisfied…I guess.
    Would have left out beasley. Just haven’t forgave him for that blunder against brasil in the Confederations Cup. Also not to keen on Eddie Johnson but to be fair I have seen any of his progress in europe. all in all i guess I can say I’m satisfied with this squad.

9. sergio lima says:

Only seven black guys among thirty players. How many will make the team? Don’t you think you are missing some juice there?

10. Kasey says:

sergio: As an outsider(Aussie) is it really a Black/white thing or do you just not have any black superstar footballers who pick themselves for a national team like Essien etc?? What do you meaN “missing some Juice”?? I don’t think OJ Simpson would really help this squad much:)

• sergio lima says:

I just think the American team is too white. And, do you really want to go on that road to talk about bad black athletes in comparison of all the black good ones out there? really? Some Europeans don’t have black people in their communities. We have but we don’t let them play soccer. In America, most kids have to pay if they want to play, from the place I came from, Brazil, you only pay if you are not good. By the way, I am whiter than egg with blue eyes, so, nothing racial about my comment, it is just that I believe a better racial integration result in better teams, I watched my entire life. when you have it, use it. Like the NFL, for example.

• Dave C says:

Sergio,
        According to Wikipedia, approximately 12.8% of the US population is black. On that basis, you would expect the 30 man provisional US squad to include maybe 4 black guys. So if anything, you could argue that blacks are OVER-represented in the squad.

Of course, that’s assuming that you can expect the US national team to be statistically reflective of the population as a whole, which obviously is not it’s purpose. Bradley’s job is to pick the best players, not to pick a selection with a racial diversity which pleases you. Which black players do you think SHOULD be on the squad that are not?

• sergio lima says:

I agree with you guys entirely, but that was not my point.I just think soccer needs more diversity in its base in order to have more diversity on top. Just that.

11. Tom says:

Connor Casey has not been playing well this season (I’m a Colorado fan and have seen most of their games). He doesn’t get enough of the ball when Colorado’s service is lacking, he’s either lazy or needs to develop his game. 3 of his 4 goals are from penalty kicks! It is a bummer, we had 2 national team players last summer (with Pablo Masteoni, who is past it now, but still a great MLS player), now we have none. It was the right choice to leave both of them off the side.

12. Tom says:

I also meant to say that I’m sick of the Charlie Davies sentiment. He made a poor decision, he’s lucky he wasn’t killed, a girl was killed in the accident; and missing out the World Cup is a consequence. We all live with our bad choices, and our good ones.

13. ELAC says:

I’m with Tom. CD9 was great, but now he’s recovering. He’s not ready.
    Let’s look at the last world cup in Germany for some perspective.
    Team USA choked in 2006.
    Bruce Arena choked in 2006.
    Donovan choked in 2006.
    Eddie Pope and Pablo Matroeni choked (mentally).
    Onyewu choked.
    See the pattern? I want Charlie on this roster, too. However, I want the best players from my country kicking ass and taking names in South Africa. If they’re all white or all black, I DON’T GIVE A F***!
    I’m BROWN AND PROUD AND 100% ESTADOS UNIDOS (USA).

Support your country, my brothers and sisters!!
    ‘Cause that’s what Charlie Davies will be doing.

Wipe your tears, people we are going to war in South Africa