SUN, 8:30AM ET
EVE
CRY
SUN, 3PM ET
LEV
BAR

Fox Soccer Plus Fails Manchester United on Final Day of the Season

fox soccer plus Fox Soccer Plus Fails Manchester United on Final Day of the Season

While the first forty-five minutes on Sunday were not kind to Manchester United in their hopes of winning the title, one thing was completely unexpected… If you were watching the game on Fox Soccer Plus, Manchester United’s game hadn’t even kicked off before Chelsea took a 1-0 lead thanks to the strike of Anelka.

That’s right, for viewers on Fox Soccer Plus, the Manchester United/Stoke City match on the final day of the season did not kick off live. According to readers, the kickoff didn’t occur until roughly seven minutes after the game had kicked off online at FoxSoccer.tv. EPL Talk reader Civrock tweeted his astonishment and displeasure at the delay, to which Jamie Trecker responded, “I have no idea what is going on, and I’m not going to defend it, to be frank.” According to schedule, a Serie A match was played and there was no run over past the 11 am kickoff to the Premier League match. Meanwhile, the match was being shown live on FoxSoccer.tv

I have to give Jamie Trecker a little bit of credit here. He knew Fox Soccer International had screwed up in a major way and, in situations like this, there is no reason to attempt and defend the actions of his employer. After rushing Fox Soccer Plus into existence after Setanta Sports went away, it’s been a major uphill battle getting the a la carte channel on the same number of platforms that Setanta Sports was on in the first place. It has also been an even bigger uphill battle to get subscribers for the channel.

After today, expect plenty of fans to remember this moment and be extremely hesitant to subscribe to any add-ons from Fox Soccer International. While there have been many problems with Fox Soccer’s online product, some of those issues were starting to be worked out. However, it’s a case of too little to late for many people to give the product a second chance (that implies that people gave it a chance in the first place). I would expect many of the same people to now not give Fox Soccer Plus a chance should the opportunity arise to subscribe.

What are your thoughts on Fox Soccer Plus’s final day debacle? Let us know in the comments below.

Editor’s note: Fox Soccer Plus cut their commercials short at half-time and was able to play the second half live so that it was in sync with the FoxSoccer.tv coverage as well as Chelsea’s demolition of Wigan Athletic.

26 Responses to Fox Soccer Plus Fails Manchester United on Final Day of the Season

1. Norm says:

With ESPN picking up more matches next season, it will make it harder for me to pick up FSC+ though HD might change things. I think Setanta did a better job than FSC+. Here is hoping they make FSC+ a regular channel.

2. Attaturk says:

To be frank, FSC has done this numerous times this year as well, including today. The Chelsea/Wigan game was about a minute behind the “live” game during the first half. Though 7 minutes is really inexcusable.

3. brn442 says:

Fox soccer Plus/TV has been disappointing. Let’s hope all these bugs get sorted out during the off season. Plus, having some sort of studio production to complement the raw feed would be awesome.

4. Jonny says:

ESPN has been making FSC look like fools all season. When I tuned in at 11AM, I realized I should’ve known better than to expect them to play the Chelsea and United games simultaneously. Too many braincells required to accomplish that feat.

5. Karl says:

I’ll say it again: based on where your allegiances lye during the FA Cup final, immediately after or today even, cancel your FSC subscriptions!!!! Nothing worth watching on the aforementioned “channel” anymore! Re-subscribe when the season starts. It’s time to send these muppets a message!!! That their ineptitude will not be tolerated! ESPN please buy the lot!

6. Simon Burke says:

Pretty poor this (not the article!). They are very lucky CHelsea had wrapped the league up very early today and this wasnt critical.
    FSC plus is only worth having because of some of the games they have but
    I am thinking of packing it in as its becoming easier to watch games online. Fifteen dollars a month for whats basically a couple of matches per month that I care about isnt really worth it as they provide no analysis. Setanta at least had Pat Dolan slagging off Benitez every week. If ESPN grabs more football then FSC plus may not even have a reason to exist next year and they can just retain the online option which also has some work to do.

7. CFTV says:

Absolute total dross from Fox and it doesn’t shock me one bit. This is the same lot that cut away from United getting their winners medals in 07 to go to the Studio and Nick Webster for no reason at all as United was forming the line.

I get FS+ through the sports package that my cable company offers which I had already subscribed to before FS+ was launched that is $3.99 a month. I wouldn’t pay 15 bucks a month for the FS+ under it’s current format since I am not much of a rugby fan and find the shoulder programming repetitive due to most of the programs already aired on FSC. Hopefully, FS+ and FSC become the carrier of the new Premier League Network that launches this summer and adds that programming to the networks line up because unless you are a rugby fan the FS+ is pretty useless for next season given than ESPN is going to pick up the 1st or 2nd choice game at 10am on Saturday and the Sunday Morning at 8:30am game which FS+ had this season.

I hope that Nick Webster addresses the debacle today during the first half of the United game tomorrow night on Fox Football Fone In.

8. JR says:

I’m always surprised when anyone is surprised when fox fouls things up. The only thing they’re good at is taking money from people’s pockets.

9. Jim says:

Somehow I started geting FSP this week and only realized it yesterday. I live in Austin and now we have FSC and FSP in HD through Time Warner. And it’s either part of the sports package or it’s part of the HD package. I’m not paying $15 a month for FSP. Quite honestly, there is not enough content to justify a $15/month fee for it.

The schedule for FSC has been showing the FSP schedule all week on the TV listings, which was confusing until I figured out what was going on. The Man U/Stoke games started late because some genius at FSP decided to include the 10 minute pregame at the 11 AM start. Any other game that gets sent over to a US feed cuts the pregame out. It was fixed at halftime so that the Man U/Stoke game was a minute or so ahead of the Chelsea/Wigan game for the secon half. At least someone corrected it at half time and didn’t let it go on through the full length of the game.

10. Brandon says:

It was shocking given the importance of the matches being played. You would think if all you did was soccer you’d solve so many of the problems FSC and FSC + have had. The most annoying part of FSC’s coverage was the annoucners speaking over Drogba,Lampard, and Terry receiving their winners medals. Totally missed out on the crowd’s reactions.

It’s bizarre how good the ESPN coverage has been given their World Cup hiccups in 2006. Real good pre/half/post shows. Concise, engaging, and informative coverage. Hope they get more games next season.

11. The Gaffer says:

One very observant reader sent me an e-mail a few minutes ago to point out something very interesting. For the first half of the United v Stoke game today on Fox Soccer Plus, the graphic in the top right corner said “Premiere.”

When the game came back on for the second half, the word “Premiere” was replaced with “Live.”

12. Chris says:

ESPN should really turn thier classic channel into a football channel and just friggen by out FSC. ESPN would make more money and everything would be good

13. goke313 says:

msg to FOX
    SELL
    SELL
    SELL
    plz for the love of footy fans SELL

msg ESPN
    BUY
    BUY
    BUY
    plz for the love of footy fans BUY EPL/SERIE A/LIGUE 1 rights plz

14. scummer says:

looks like the premier league refs are not the only ones taking bribes from the rich russian in london….’ello foxski!!!

15. Eious says:

Yet another reason I waited until next season to get it.

I refuse to pay for the service until things like this are ironed out.

If my team had this happen to them i would be calling everyone outraged

16. EvertonfanKY says:

Today I canceled my subscription to FSC+. No point paying $14.99 a month whilst the seasons over. I will subscribe again once the season starts. I hope we don’t have to put up with there annoying commentators on the game. Im sorry but I can’t stand Warren Barton in his corporate suit. I prefer the pregame warm up on the International Feed.

I will be subscribing when the new season starts.

17. mark says:

It was pretty funny as they would announce the Man U goals during the chelsea game and we’d look up at the other tv and wait 7 minutes to see it during the first half. Nice that they caught up during the 2nd. Could’ve been a Tx issue?

Also gaffer – went to Rooney’s Sports Grill on Okeechobee & Jog this morning and they were nice enough to put all 3 games on the screens for us (and replaced the music with the FSC commentary) there before they officially opened at 11. Worth a visit for an afternoon game.

• The Gaffer says:

Mark, that’s good to know. Thanks for sharing. I’ve been there before but the food and service wasn’t that good, but hopefully they’ve improved since then.

Stay tuned for an announcement this week of the EPL Talk viewing party for the USA v England game which will be shown in Boca Raton. More details to come.

18. Cricketlover says:

I was watching FSC and foxsoccer.tv simultaneously. The start of the Chelsea – Wigan match on FSC was delayed by a couple of minutes and I heard about Anelka’s first goal from the commentators on foxsoccer.tv before seeing it on FSC. FSC had enough time after the Serie A match to begin showing the PL match from the first kickoff but instead they had to get their hideous studio announcers time to say something and cause the delay. While I appreciate that Fox does allow us the opportunity to watch PL matches the way they have gone about it has been infuriating.

19. I can watch plenty of EPL elsewhere if I really wanted to. I subscribe to Fox Soccer Plus for it’s rugby coverage. At least 4 games this season has started late & every time I was very frustrated.

Since nobody else has rugby coverage, I will continue to subscribe. It should be noted that Setanta had the same issue at times, I was just hoping the same problems wouldn’t follow with Fox taking over.

20. Cricketlover says:

Just a clarification to my last posting, I was watching the Manchester United – Stoke match on foxsoccer.tv . Foxsoccer.tv subscribers had a choice of several matches to choose from to watch.

21. brn442 says:

The manchester/stoke match did seem to be ahead. When the announcer mentioned the 1st Chelsea goal, it wasn’t on FSC yet. Also, according to the epltalk tv schedule, foxsoccertv was supposed to carry the Liverpool/Hull match. Looking back now, thankfully, they didn’t, talk about ending on a lowpoint. They didn’t even wear their new strip.

• Gaz says:

I’m curious about that too.

Where did the Liverpool / Hull game go to?

Did it end up getting shown on FSC+ and just not converted to FS.tv? It’s not even in the “Upcoming” category.

22. eplnfl says:

I saw little need for FSC+ but will give it a look again with the new season.JS is right that it was rushed out. FSC always seems to delay the start of the Sunday game for some reason. Nothing new there. A lot of the trouble would be avoided if the games where broadcast with the highlights like the NFL.

Ok, I know I’ll get blasted but we live in the internet age of 24/7 coverage of everyone and everything but English football. Lets even keep their schedules a secret.

23. Done and Dusted says:

It was an absolute disgrace. It ruined any semblance of the event (not that Chelsea gave me much of a sweat anyway).

I watched this in the pub and the United match was way behind in the first half. So far behind that in their match ESPN flashed up that United were 1-0 up a couple of minutes before we were able to see it on FS+ so we knew what was coming.

They completely dropped the ball on this and the whole setup needs looking into before next season starts. I have generally subscribed to FS+ (and previously Setanta) but I dropped it this week, won’t be subscribing during the Summer and harbour serious doubts about next season unless they get their act together.

24. Andrew says:

I am a subscriber to FSC+ but I am dropping them and I won’t be re-subscribing unless they make it HD. Paying $15/month for one SD channel that is so poorly run is insulting at this point.

A very minor point relative to the other issues surrounding FSC+ but they also delayed the Arsenal game. I know it was to show the Chelsea trophy presentation but you could see it on regular FSC if you wanted.