Powered by
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

Daily Ticker: Mourinho Eyeing Lampard, Hodgson Denies Liverpool Rumors, More

Daily Ticker: Mourinho Eyeing Lampard, Hodgson Denies Liverpool Rumors, More

Inter Milan skipper Jose Mourinho, expected by many to leave Serie A and head to Real Madrid this summer, has already started scouting some new team members. According to the Daily Mail, Mourinho is looking to woo Chelsea legend Frank Lampard on a £30 million deal.

Mourinho and Lampard spent three years together when the Portuguese managed Chelsea from 2004-2007. Current Real Madrid skipper Manuel Pellegrini is all but fired following a Round-Of-16 Champions League defeat to Lyon. Mourhino’s last game with Inter Milan will probably be, ironically, the Champions League Final against Bayern Munich at the Bernabéu (Real Madrid’s stadium).

“Mourhino has always loved Frank, who would have to think long and hard if he was asked to sign for him at Real Madrid,” a source The Daily Mail described as “close to the deal” said.

Lampard is on a scoring tear in the EPL this season with 21 goals. With Mourhino still at Inter Milan and Lampard becoming Mr. Chelsea for many supporters following John Terry’s fall from grace it’s difficult to see this materializing just yet.

Hodgson Denies Liverpool Link

Fulham’s dream run through the Europa League this year has raised the profile of manager Roy Hodgson. Liverpool, who are looking to move on now that Rafa Benitez is all but gone, have reportedly approached Hodgson as Benitez’s replacement.  But the English manager denies any interest in leaving Craven Cottage.

“I am happy here at Fulham,” he said. “I have got a contract here at Fulham. I am happy with the job I am doing.” Fulham are playing in their first cup final in a European tournament when they take on Athletico Madrid on May 12.

Given Hopes To Return By Next Season

Republic of Ireland keeper Shay Given has had succesful surgery on his dislocated surgery and hopes to be back for Manchester City before the start of next season. “I just have to get back fit again for the start of the season. I know it will be tight but I will do everything I can to get back in time and hopefully I will do it,” said Given.

The goalkeeper said that his arm remained out of socket for nearly an hour in the ambulance on the way to the hospital.

Given has been stellar for Manchester City this season and will also be anxious to return for Ireland’s Euro 2012 qualifying campaign which kicks off September 7 against Andorra.

Sheffield Wednesday Relegated To First Division

Crystal Palace ensured their spot in the Championship next season while simultaneously sending Sheffield Wednesday down to League One with a 2-2 draw in front of a sold-out crowd Sunday afternoon.

The crucial point was a rare bright spot for a Palace club who is entering Administration and face serious doubts about their future. A testy moment came at the end of the game when several dozen supporters from opposing sides clashed on the field. No one was arrested and police quelled the situation quickly.

11 Responses to Daily Ticker: Mourinho Eyeing Lampard, Hodgson Denies Liverpool Rumors, More

1. UpTheBlues says:

Yikes. The thought of Lamps in a Real Madrid shirt makes me sick.
    Of course, I highly doubt this happens.

• Allen says:

Myself as well. I think he’s much too wise to be lured away by sheer money and he has been playing superb football this season. And for some reason, I’ve always thought of Lamps to be a much better “Mr. Chelsea” than JT.

I wonder of Carlo will hand over the Captain’s Armband to Lamps next season as well…hmmm, food for thought.

2. Kevin says:

The third tier of English football (now called the Coca-Cola League One) has never been called the “First Division.” That has only ever referred to the top tier and the second tier.

Might want to consider fixing that, as it’s pretty confusing…

3. billyv says:

According to Soccernomics, wouldn’t Chelsea be crazy not to sell him? 30mil for a 31 y/o? Better get rid of him a year early than a year late (although I’d hate to see him go).

4. Kevin_amold says:

I would never begrudge Roy leaving to get a big payday, as he sure has earned it for me. It would, however, make me hate Liverpool more than I already do. My feelings on this topic are a little complicated.

Love Roy, Hate Liverpool, I guess. Or whoever end up signing him away from the Whites. I look forward to visiting the Cottage and seeing a statute of gentlemanly Roy Hodgson someday.

• Kevin_amold says:

(cot’d) I don’t expect him to stay with Fulham forever, or even longer than 4 more years. The job he’s done in the last couple of years have revitalized the club and I can only hope that the time at the Cottage has been as special for him as it has been for us supporters.

5. 30 mil for a 31yr old sounds like good business. Although he’s played very well this year i think chelsea would be mad to knock that back

6. CTBlues says:

If the 30m pounds was for JT I would be ok with it, but not Super Frank. Mourinho couldn’t get him when his contract was up last time he wont get him again.

7. Eious says:

There is very little chance Frank leaves Chelsea.

He is a staple there that will get as much money as possible from Roman….and he is still a solid starter that knows everyone and everything around him.

Going to Real gives the possibility of new things that can be good but can also be quite poor if he gets injured or maybe is benched….plus he plays against people and teams that he doesn’t know

8. Gary says:

30mil at his age? They should take it. That’s not to say Lampard doesn’t have five or more quality campaigns left in him and as close to a ‘true’ affinity for his club as one can have (or at least appear to. See Ekotto interview). But for the money and w/ Ancellotti wanting to put his stamp on the club, the transfer is certainly possible.
    This summer of transfers is going to be as epic and inflated as ever. COYS