SUN, 11AM ET
WED, 2:45PM ET
BAS
LFC

British TV, Radio, Music and Film Recommendations

TheInBetweeners British TV, Radio, Music and Film Recommendations

Bus wankers

The Inbetweeners. Red Dwarf. Doctor Who. Life On Mars. Are You Being Served? Top Gear. Car Pool. Radio 6. Friday Night With Jonathan Ross. The IT Crowd. Peep Show. Gavin and Stacey. Little Britain. The Cult. Skins. Wire In The Blood. Just to name a few.

While you’re obviously a massive soccer fan, I wanted to ask you what British shows (other than soccer) you enjoy. The ones listed above are a few of my favorites, but are there any programs — whether they’re on TV, radio, the Internet or on film — that you highly recommend for EPL Talk readers to watch or listen to?

Share what programs you recommend in the comments section below. Thanks.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to British TV, Radio, Music and Film Recommendations

1. Chowie says:

Qi is probably the best thing on UKTV right now (for me), others in that category, Top Gear, Mock of the Week, A League Of Their Own.

Other than Comedy and a few good documentaries British TV is not that great at the moment.

2. Richard the Red (Devil) says:

The Inbetweeners is an absolute riot. I love that show.I just wish it was on a bit more.

3. Nate S says:

I’m u huge fan of the the Mighty Boosh.

4. man99utd says:

Dr. Who, Life on Mars, Survivors, Midsomer Murders, Wire in the Blood, Only Fools and Horses, Prime Suspect, Keeping Up Appearances, Foyles War.

Top Gear is in a league all its own, never miss.

5. Hope everyone got a chance to see ‘wonders of the solar system’ with prof. Brian Cox in the USA, was a great documentary and hes doing another one soon!

6. CTBlues says:

Life on Mars, Ashes to Ashes, Tudors, Merlin, Primeval, Law and Order UK, Robin Hood, Life, Planet Earth, How the Earth Made Us, History of the Earth, and Sharpe.

7. Melissa says:

Doctor Who and Friday Night With Jonathan Ross are my favorite shows. And Skins Vol. 1 & 2 were fantastic, but I can’t behind series 3 and 4. Secret Life of a Call Girl was great as well.

And I’m shamelessly addicted to Britain’s Got Talent… I have to watch it on YouTube in the States a few days later, but it’s worth it.

• blues435USA says:

Agreed, Skins series 1&2 were a massive delight. My current Fav Brit tv shows are the Inbetweeners (its like nothing on US), Doctor Who, The Ricky Gervais Show, & Top Gear.

Oldies but goodies: Green Wing, Extras

8. Jesse Chula says:

Although completed, Spaced and the original BBC Office remain my 2 favorite shows of all time. Recently: Gavin and Stacy, The IT Crowd, The Mighty Boosh, Shameless

Also completed but brilliant:
    Green Wing
    Black Books
    LIttle Britain
    The Robsinsons
    Garth Marenghi’s Dark Place
    I’m Alan Partridge
    The League of Gentlemen

9. Russ Goldman says:

The Inbetweeners is hilarious. I also watch Jonathan Ross.

I have to admit that I do watch Dream Team that is on Fox Soccer Channel. I would call this a guilty pleasure.

10. Joel says:

Brass Eye, The Day Today, That Mitchell & Webb Look/Sound, Look Around You, Shameless

11. SanDimas1988 says:

The Inbetweeners is the best comedy on TV now. The first few seasons of Two Pints are pretty good also. The best shows off the air are The Office and Coupling. And while I’ve never seen Doctor Who, I think Torchwood is fantastic, especially the third series, Children of Earth.

12. scott alexander says:

anything stephen fry
    anything andy zaltzman

13. Ringo says:

Not impressed with the new Doctor ,yet.
    Love the ginger though.

14. unclesand says:

i love later with jools holland. currently need iplayer plus a virtual private network to watch it on your computer.

15. fsquid says:

Graham Norton, end of the discussion. I always youtube the comedians he has on there.

I watched Dream Team too, but lost interest when every season ended with people dying. Lynda Block is still the woman of my dreams.

16. Film: 24 Hour Party People (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

17. Chris from Texas says:

No love for Hustle? It’s an amazing show, I highly recommend it. Same goes for Spooks.

18. EvertonfanKY says:

Shameless my American wife loves that show now
    Keeping Up Appearences thanks to PBS my wife loves that
    Ever Decreasing Circles my wife likes that show thanks to me.
    Watching (set in Liverpool and Wirral) my wife loves that
    The League of Gentlemen (Little Britain is a rip off)

• Huh says:

I think you have this mixed up, Little Britain is a rip off of The league of gentlemen which was made years before it. TLOG was also far darker and ten times better than Little Britain.

19. bradjmoore48 says:

I love the IT Crowd. The combination of Richard Ayaode and Matt Berry is dynamite. Matt Berry is the real-life human incarnation of Calculon from Futurama. For this reason Mighty Boosh and Garth Marenghi’s Darkplaces are on my to-watch list.

- Anything Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost put their minds to.
    - UK Office
    - Monty Python

In terms of music, I think every American is at least partially an Anglophile. I think the greatest band of all time is Pink Floyd, Radiohead is the band of my generation, and Muse is the present best band on the planet. I also love the Smiths. But if you like anything from pop rock (Coldplay, Starsailor) to power metal (Dragonforce) and your drug-addled celebrities in between (Amy Winehouse, Pete Doherty), the UK has you covered.

Finally, I’m a fan of Michael Sheen playing iconic British figures (Tony Blair in the Queen, Sir David Frost, and Brian Clough) in his recent string of films. I hope he keeps finding good parts to complement larger paydays for the Twilight movies and Underworld.

20. Anonymous says:

Coupling was a brilliant comedy series

21. brn442 says:

Anyting in bbc radio:

“From our own correspondent” on the world service.

5 live/Sportsweek w/ Gary Richardson (podcast)

Radio1 -still features the best dj’s in the world “essential mix” is still the gold standard.

22. JD says:

Discovered the joys of British TV a couple of years ago! But I live in Canada so I have to download all of these/YouTube them. My favourites include:

QI (bless Stephen Fry), Peep Show, That Mitchell and Webb look, Big Train, Brass Eye, Never Mind the Buzzcocks, Green Wing, Father Ted, Hustle, Black Books

and probably more, but I can’t be bothered to list ‘em all.

23. shane says:

Survivors just ended.
    That was the best show I have seen in quite a while.

24. Top Gear is easily the best show on television.

Comedy-wise, I echo praise given to classics like Monty Python’s Flying Circus and Fawlty Towers, as well as newer successes The Mighty Boosh. One of my personal all-time favorites (regardless of nationality) is the hilarious 80s alternative hit The Young Ones.

I’m a big fan of Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares (not to be confused with the American version, “Kitchen Nightmares,” which strips away most of the cooking technique in favor of playing up silly drama) and The Restaurant (carried on BBC America as “Last Restaurant Standing”).

As for music: Radiohead, with a little bit of older (Travelling Without Moving-era) Jamiroquai.

25. Seth says:

The Chris Moyles Show on BBC Radio One, specifically the Where is Westwood? segment.

26. The_NZA says:

FOOTBALL FRIEND!!!!!!!!! or PEDO FRIEND!!!!! o man the inbetweeners is the best. And top gear, man i wish cox had bbc america hd.

27. Simon Campbell says:

The Thick of It
    In the Loop
    Dr. Who
    Top Gear
    The Inbetweeners
    Hyperspace

28. patrick says:

Skins… New cast will suck…
    InBetweeners…
    Shameless… scatttaaaaaaa
    The Filth -
    Holmee tittie I just wanted to write that really
    Casualeee better than ER
    Arry Ills TV Burp actually hate this show
    and I love the River Cottage series and the F word

29. Casey G. says:

The X Factor, duh. don’t be hating.. u watch it too. :-p

30. me says:

How not to live your life

31. Arseblog Reader says:

Listen to the Arctic Monkeys. They are Sheffield Wednesday fans and they are one of the best rock bands out there.

32. Arseblog Reader says:

Run Fat Boy, Run was a good movie.

Top Gear, Inbetweeners, and Survivors are good on TV.

Online, Soccer Am is decent.

33. Alex says:

Top Gear, Inbetweeners, Soccer am, Life on Mars and Friday night with Jonathon Ross i all love so much. I’ve also been watching River Monsters the last few weeks which is also excellent.