Powered by
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

Video: Noel Gallagher on His World Cup Memories

oasis football 431x300 Video: Noel Gallagher on His World Cup Memories

English bands have been as important in my life as football has been. Ever since a friend of mine introduced me to The Clash some 15 years ago, the plethora of bands to emerge from the UK that have affected my intellect and overall well being have been staggering.

Minus godfathers like the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, which, seemingly, everyone grew up with, bands like the Clash, the Smiths, the Jam, Joy Division, the Stone Roses, Radiohead, Oasis, Elbow and the Arctic Monkeys, to name just a few, are bands that are immensely important to me on a personal level.

I’ve spoken about the parallel between music and football before and the power and ability to inspire when combined, which is why I wanted to share the following video from former Oasis member Noel Gallagher. Whether a football fan first and musician second, or the other way around, I always find it interesting when musicians I admire speak on their involvement with, love for and memories on the beautiful game. First, a little background on Gallagher.

Having emerged from the Madchester scene in Manchester in the early 90s, Oasis were a band that would go on to define the sound of a generation and dominate the Britpop scene from the mid to late 90s – all the while attempting world domination. Love them or hate them, Oasis were a force to be reckoned with. The Manchester City supporting brothers Gallagher would continue on with Oasis crafting some of the best and highest selling rock records of the past twenty years until their recent break up in 2009.

Taken from Football Focus on BBC1, this impressive video features Noel Gallagher sharing some of his memories from the World Cup throughout the years. From his early memories of the tournament, to Archie Gemmill’s incredible goal against Holland in the ’78 Cup, to Gallagher’s supposed effect on the outcome of the 2006 competition, it’s all here to be been seen and heard.

My earliest memories from the World Cup came when I was 12 years old from USA ’94. Orlando, FLA was picked as a city to host a group stage match, which at that time was less than an hour from where I lived on the east coast.

Although I didn’t attend the match, I remember being in Orlando on match day for Mexico’s 2-1 defeat of the Republic of Ireland in June. I remember seeing hoards of Irish citizens and expats dressed from head to toe in support of their team. Even at that young age, I remember the profound effect that the Republic of Ireland supporters had on me and the subsequent dominate effect that football would soon have on my life.

Feel free to share your earliest memories of the World Cup in the comments section below.

12 Responses to Video: Noel Gallagher on His World Cup Memories

1. brn442 says:

Ian Brown lightweight imitator – sorry, that’s Liam. Oasis has contributed nothing musically to/about football as far as I know, that sorta puts a hole in your narrative. Contrast that with Morrissey’s disturbingly brilliant “we’ll let you know” based on Football’s darkside.

• Jesse Chula says:

Sure, good point and not really a lot of room to disagree with you.

Gallagher’s writing couldn’t ever really match the zeitgeist that Morrissey was able to capture in his years with the Smiths and also as a solo artist mostly because they were from different eras, if only by 7-10 yrs.

Wherein Morrissey was the voice of the common man and the people of Manchester and largely, England, Gallagher and co were more concerned with being massive rock stars and conquering the world.

I guess though the fact that Oasis did get huge and the fact that Noel makes it abundantly clear he’s an avid football fan whenever possible, made his mention and his video interview something of worth regardless of whether or not his music or lyrics reflect that.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Jesse Chula says:

Also,

The article didn’t make a mention specifically of Liam – which I knew would garner mostly negative feedback due to his outspoken nature.

Although Liam was the front man of Oasis, it’s widely known that old brother Noel was the brains.

2. CTBlues says:

Oasis and Coldplay wishes they were Radiohead and all three of those bands were wanna be U2 bands, but U2 hasn’t been good since Joshua Tree.

• Jesse Chula says:

Thanks for the feedback, but couldn’t disagree more.

Radiohead never were or ever will be a band who emualte any other band.

Original in nature, sound, music or any other varibale you wish to throw in since their inception.

Coldplay, well, that’s for another debate.

• CTBlues says:

All three bands started out emulating U2, but the only Radiohead has gone there own way and has been consitantly good. The only good album Coldplay released was Viva la Vida and they were basically trying to be Radiohead with it.

• Gaz says:

Radiohead were never trying to be U2. What album sounds anything like U2? Pablo Honey would be the only possible choice.

In fact, Radiohead were always been very outspoken early on in their careers about admiring REM – not U2.

Coldplay sounds more like a band trying to emulate Radiohead – specifically The Bends Radiohead – not U2.

3. Casey says:

First memory of a World Cup was the 94 World Cup here in the US. The summer before going into the 8th grade trying to watch every game possible. I was in Houston and wasn’t able to get up to Dallas to see games but then acouple days before the final my father comes in and says “We can do two things this weekend, go up and work on your sister’s apt, or go to the World Cup Final? What do you think we should do?” I think you know what decision I made. Long story short, I had Brazilians sitting behind me, and Italians sitting in front of me, it can go with out being said that the memory of that game is amazing.

4. The Gaffer says:

I don’t remember my first World Cup game, but it was definitely in the 1978 World Cup game and may have been one of Scotland’s opening games. I vividly remember Archie Gemmill’s goal, seeing Kenny Dalglish play (as well as several other brilliant Scots), in addition to beautiful long range shots by Peru and more.

5. Joe in Indianapolis says:

Oasis is dead. Long live Oasis!

6. patrick says:

No World in Motion reference??? was around the time I really started paying attention to football.

or Three Lions, which is being remade.. again… This song to me sort of sums up the ‘Beckham, golden era’ of England…

Best ever England song by FAR. Vindaloo just a pure joy win lose or draw

about the only thing Oasis has really done for the World Cup was the BBC summing up England being tossed out yet again from another cup compitition with Stop Crying Your Heart Out… and I Love Oasis.

7. Huh says:

I thought Americans wouldnt know anything about Oasis. I understood they floped in the American market.